Private_Miros

WoTLabs World Cup Football Thread

One man german defensive - Manuel Neuer. The rest is making siesta.

That's why he's my favourite and imo best GK atm. I really like his foot technique and sweeper skills. Also he's damn fast for a goalie of his size. Have you seen him chasing that Algerian player and then a true CB tackle on him?! Also now since Croatia haven't passed group stage Deutschland is my No1 favourite :)

It seems only when it comes to football. I personally dont understand that thing with the flemish and walloons, to put it mildly. Same nonsense in my book as what happened with the former CSSR, now czech and slowakia.

I mean we germans sometimes make fun of the bavarians for example, because they have certain tendencies for trying to go alone. But no bavarian politician would dream of sperating from germany for real, because they know without germany it would go down the drain in the long run. And you cant really call it german what they speak in bavaria, it sounds similar strange as some form of "switzerdeutsch".

Eh, it's complicated. I myself am pro-Belgian, our richness in languages and culture is what sells Belgian on the international job market.

But you really can't compare it with the German länder. Flanders and Wallonie have different languages, different culture (social, economical, judicial, political) and, compared to the länder, who do have a somewhat historical common heritage in the Holy Roman Empire, Flanders and Wallonie do not. What is now Belgium has always been split between the HRE, France, Austria-Hungary, Spain, the United Provinces,...

But well, if you put someone from Bavaria and someone from Schelswig-Holstein together, they will speak in the same language, can make a shared joke based on popular culture (from popular tv shows or music for example), this is simply impossible between a Flemish and a Walloon. In culture I am 100 times closer to an American than to a Walloon Belgian. I regularly use expression and refer to jokes nearly every American will get, but almost all Walloons will be totally oblivious about.

As for the Bavarian dialect, the difference is no bigger than West-Flemish dialect from East-Flemish dialect from Antwerpian from proper Dutch.

Eh, it's complicated. I myself am pro-Belgian, our richness in languages and culture is what sells Belgian on the international job market.

But you really can't compare it with the German länder. Flanders and Wallonie have different languages, different culture (social, economical, judicial, political) and, compared to the länder, who do have a somewhat historical common heritage in the Holy Roman Empire, Flanders and Wallonie do not. What is now Belgium has always been split between the HRE, France, Austria-Hungary, Spain, the United Provinces,...

But well, if you put someone from Bavaria and someone from Schelswig-Holstein together, they will speak in the same language, can make a shared joke based on popular culture (from popular tv shows or music for example), this is simply impossible between a Flemish and a Walloon. In culture I am 100 times closer to an American than to a Walloon Belgian. I regularly use expression and refer to jokes nearly every American will get, but almost all Walloons will be totally oblivious about.

There are basically 2 different cultures in one country. And it's not like we are hating eachother, but our differences make for difficult (national) politics. Everything else runs rather well though.

This is probably going to make me sound like a really dumb American, but how big is the difference between "regular" (Berlin?) German and Bavarian German. Would it be comparable to the difference in speech between somebody from backwoods Alabama and Boston?

This is probably going to make me sound like a really dumb American, but how big is the difference between "regular" (Berlin?) German and Bavarian German. Would it be comparable to the difference in speech between somebody from backwoods Alabama and Boston?

No, it's basically another, albeit very similar, language, with different, though related, grammatical structures, conjugations and declensions.

It's the same with Flemish:

EN: "Do you have a dog at home?" "Yes, I have one."

NL: "Heb jij een hond thuis?" "Ja, ik heb er een."

Flemish phonetic of my region (note: all Flemish dialects are languages without writings. If we want to write, we use proper Dutch or phonetic transcriptions): "Ejje gij nen 'ond tus?" "Joa, kem er ene". (or, if you want to accenturate that it is really yours, "kemmekik er ene").

Yes, that seems a reasonable comparison. However the different German dialects are historically much older than your American dialects and in consequence have a lot more vocabulary that is specific to each of them. Today most people in Germany either speak the standard German (originally the dialect from the Hannover area) or a watered down version of their regional dialect that people from other parts can understand without too much difficulty.

But meet somebody who speaks hardcore dialect and a Northern German will have severe trouble understanding a Bavarian or Swabian. Vice-versa, the dialect in the northern coastal area ("Plattdeutsch") is virtually incomprehensible to anybody not from that area.

In total, there are about a dozen major dialects in Germany but most of them have countless variations specific to smaller areas and sometimes even single towns. But like I said - dialects have been on the retreat for decades. Bavarians and (too some degree Swabians) remain a bit more stubborn than other Germans about preserving their dialects (for example most of the politicians from these areas speak in dialect, whereas those from the rest of Germany use the standard language).

I love german high defence line with tall and slow center backs. Team like Belgium would score 5 goals in counter attacks...

Also respect Vahid Halihodzic.

Edit: germany is trying to play Barcelona game...i dont get it...

That's because Joachim Löw is a tomato coach. The man has fantastic player material but it is highly likely that he will coach it to an early exit.

Spain has failed horribly relying on the Barcelona style, so have Barca and Munich during this year's Champions League. Coaches have figured out how to destroy this strategy with an aggressive defence. Yet, Löw refuses to adapt. Even worse he plays with 4 interior defenders that - while good players - are also pretty slow (except for Boateng). Thus fast counter-attacks always equal trouble.

That's because Joachim Löw is a tomato coach. The man has fantastic player material but it is highly likely that he will coach it to an early exit.

Spain has failed horribly relying on the Barcelona style, so have Barca and Munich during this year's Champions League. Coaches have figured out how to destroy this strategy with an aggressive defence. Yet, Löw refuses to adapt. Even worse he plays with 4 interior defenders that - while good players - are also pretty slow (except for Boateng). Thus fast counter-attacks always equal trouble.

And even Boateng isn't the most explosive runner... He's fast, once he gets up to speed.

But yes, coaches adapt well this WC.

Against Spain and Germany, press. Against Belgium, let them come and fall back. Against Brasil, kick Neymar, Again Argentina, man cover on everyone but Messi, zone defence on Messi.

That guy is out for at least 6 months the way that looked. Broken in at least one spot, ligaments torn off,... Looked really bad.

Broken shin bone and fibula, damaged ligaments. GG Matuidi.

"Berlin - erisch" is a dialect in itself. For example (german - berlin - english):

ich - icke - I

Brötchen - Schrippe - bread roll

but is usually understandable, though it sounds funny. And the meaning of words like "Schrippe" is also known to most ofter germans, though they usually dont use the word.

Where it gets complicated are the dialects spoken in the northern and southern parts of germany. They often require a good ear and some time to really understand them fully.

The "Plattdeutsch" Gharirey mentioned had probably the most sub-dialects. I m able to understand the "Platt" spoken in my home region, but get real problems with dialects from areas only 200km more east or west. Sometimes they even differ between between cities or regions only 50 km (~35 miles) apart.

Also some of the more western "Platt" dialects are strongly influenced by Dutch, which has general similarities with german, and to a lesser degree with english.

Germans for example are in general able to sometimes make out what people from the Netherlands are talking about or understand a word here and there, though "nobody" in germany speaks dutch.

I m not sure how it is the other way around, but german is after english the most spoken foreign language in the Netherlands afaik.

Edited by Folterknecht

Broken shin bone and fibula, damaged ligaments. GG Matuidi.

Word, that was a tough, spikes-up foul. Could have been red-card material- he was lucky to get off with the yellow. Can't wait for France-Germany. 

Germans for example are in general able to sometimes make out what people from the Netherlands are talking about or understand a word here and there, though "nobody" in germany speaks dutch.

I m not sure how it is the other way around, but german is after english the most spoken foreign language in the Netherlands afaik.

I think quite a lot of dutch people had at least some german in school, and since the languages are pretty similair even a small amount of time spent studying german still allows us to communicate with you guys. I had 2 german during 2 years of highschool for 2 hours a week and I can follow german conversations on TS if I pay attention, which is nice considering that pretty much all of IDEAL's FC's are germans :D

Whatever wins, Argentina or Swiss, if Belgium wins, we can win from them too.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't follow soccer at all but I can online imagine that the extended match will wear down both teams enough that it might affect them in the next match. Am I correct in my perspective of this match?

And Murica plays exactly like they shouldnt. GG Belgium.

Lets play possesion football against best counter attacking team as underdogs. Fuck logic.

edit: if you want to win you have to score more goals than opponent. Someone should tell Belgium that :P.

Howard>belgium so far...

Dont worry, Belgium will tackle with foul for counter attack goal and win. Third time on WC.

Belgium deserves to win on cereal side.

Belgium had 27 shots on goal!? Dat's insane.  8)

I think Howard pulled off more saves in that game alone than any other keeper during the whole world cup.

Fucking hell.

BrfV4tjCUAAeVP7_zps3715b975.jpg

RIP sleep, RIP work.

Statistics first. All teams that went through were first in group stage.

Belgium-Argentina

Belgium favourites. Argentina won every game by luck so far. Counting on Messi moment of brilliance against stronk defence is long stretch and considering worse teams made several clear cut chances per game they didnt convert, i expect Belgium to go through. Btw, Messi best player of World Cup after James Rodriguez but even he cant do miracles with 10 retards in team (ok 8, Dive Maria, Zabaleta are good). If Belgium had good fullbacks to add width to their game....

Columbia-Brazil

Brazil doesnt play pretty but they are effective. Columbia should suit them better than Chile so i expect  Brazil going through. If they werent hosts i would give awesome Columbia bit more faith (will still support them).  Diego Costa would fit so nice in Brazil team, their strikers are terrible (Jo, Fred lol). His loss.

France-Germany

Joachim Low is again going full retard.Please put Lahm on right back, please dont play defence on center with Mertesacker. That aside, France had most help from referees this far in World Cup. Wont mention again group stage mistakes that favored France, against Nigeria they were forgiven penalty and red card. Benzema returned to his real form so if they make 5 chances for him he might convert one  Even this mediocre Germany that is losing famous mentality that made them special (instead of going 110% till last minute they are only 105% now :P) for so long is too good for overrated UEFrAnce (they had easy group and referees on their side, i accept the blame if they prove me wrong).

Holland- Costa Rica

I doubt Americanos can pull off another mirracle. Not a pushover, but quality will win. Probably good for Miros since they got quite lucky with draws in elimination phase, up to final they can face teams whose style fit them.

Edit:

FTR, i support teams in following order: Germany, Columbia, Belgium/Argentina (whoever goes through).