Private_Miros

WoTLabs World Cup Football Thread

We kinda forgot to score around 5 goals or so XD

Anyway, was a good game, but took longer then necessary. The USA fought bravely, but I think they were tired from their first 3 games.

Howard saved 15 shots out of 17, and Belgium took a total of 39 shots on goal Smile_veryhappy.gif. Some close moments during the last few minutes, but in the end, all is well and deserved.

Next up: Quarter Finals:

Brazil VS Colombia:  The 2 most well rested teams (including Brazil, thanks to FIFA Fair Play), difficult to predict. Colombia plays a bit better this WC, but Brazil still has Neymar and FIFA Fair Play to call upon, so my money would be on Brazil.

France VS Germany. Slight advantage for Germany, but I sure as hell won't bet any money on it. Perhaps the 2 strongest midfields facing eachother.

Holland - Costa Rica: Normally a win for Holland, but Costa Rica has surprised teams before this WC. Holland has to miss De Jong, which is their key midfielder. We'll see, but normally Holland.

Belgium VS Argentina: Without Messi: Belgium, with Messi: Argentina. It's that simple. Argentina hasn't convinced yet as a team. They play rather attacking football, and their defense and especially goalie are vulnerable, which is great for the football Belgium plays. But Messi.

The team of the 1/8th finals (according to Twitter):

--------------------------------------------------------Howard (USA)-------------------------------------------------------

----De Vrij (NED)-----------------------------------Sokratis (GRE)------------------------------Vertonghen (BEL)--

---Schürrle (GER)------------------Pogba (FRA)-------------De Bruyne (BEL)--------------Rodriguez (COL)---

----Messi (ARG)-------------------------------------Lukaku (BEL)-----------------------------Dos Santos (MEX)----

As for Belgium, we need to score more... We have the most shots at goal (83) and most chances (32) of any team at the World Cup. De Bruyne alone created 10 of those chances against the US. Imagine what kind of team we could be if we finished our chances with the same success rate as the Dutch.

Neuer is a very different goalkeeper.

He is both a keeper and a center back for half the game. Amazing.  :thumbup:

Better than Mertesacker.

Neuer is a madman. Kind of a tradition with German goalies. Kahn was certifiably insane (grabbing teammates by the neck, body-checks, ... just run a youtube search), Lehmann was almost as crazy. And don't even start me on Toni Schuhmacher, ...

Now there is Neuer who at first sight appears calm but then he enters the field and starts these mad rushes out of his goals. Any sane goalie would hate these situations but Neuer loves them way too much to qualify as normal any longer.

Neuer is a madman. Kind of a tradition with German goalies. Kahn was certifiably insane (grabbing teammates by the neck, body-checks, ... just run a youtube search), Lehmann was almost as crazy. And don't even start me on Toni Schuhmacher, ...

Now there is Neuer who at first sight appears calm but then he enters the field and starts these mad rushes out of his goals. Any sane goalie would hate these situations but Neuer loves them way too much to qualify as normal any longer.

We always had the best goalies. Fortunately for our oponents, Neuer doesnt have Kahns mentality - that guy was a madman.

This is probably going to make me sound like a really dumb American, but how big is the difference between "regular" (Berlin?) German and Bavarian German. Would it be comparable to the difference in speech between somebody from backwoods Alabama and Boston?

Dunno for Germany, but for the Netherlands, the differences would be (much) bigger, ``real`` native speakers, who also use the ``real words`` are impossible to understand, unless you speak the same dialect / language (many words are just totally different)

Compare:

English - German - Dutch - Gronings:

Glass - Brille - bril - fokke

dishcloth - Abwaschtuch - vaatdoek - schuddeldouk

ladle - Schöpfkelle - soeplepel - sloif

etc etc

A large part of the grammar and verbs would be more or less the same, but many nouns are very different

ps: ``dutchification`` has (and is) slowly ``eating`` the dialects, for example almost noboy uses the word ``sikkom`` instead bienoa (from bijna, almost) is used, and that goes many words, so current ``Gronings`` looks much more on Dutch then the Gronings from 100 years ago

To give an idea of the variaty of dialects (and thus culture, since almost each dialect forms the old border of a former small country / region)

Dutch-dialects.png

While region 11 can be subdivided into 8(!!) different variaties (which vary almost as much english from Boston and Alabama)

300px-Groninger_Dialekte.png

• Westerkertiers: t Eenege dat wie niet doun is slik uutdeeln
  • Stadsgrunnegs (city): t Oinege dat wie noit doun is baaltjes oetdailn
  • Hoogelaandsters: t Ainege dat wie nait dudden is slik oetdijln
  • Westerwoolds: t Einege dat wie nich dun is slikkerij uutdeiln
  • Veenkelonioals: t Ainege wat wie nait dudden is slikke uutduiln
  • East Frisian Low Saxon: Dat eenzige, dat wi neet doon is Slickeree utdelen.
  • Northern Low Saxon of Germany: Dat eenzige, dat wi nich doot, (dat) is Snabbelkraam uutdeeln.
  • Standard Dutch: Het enige wat we niet doen is snoep uitdelen.
  • Standard German: Das einzige, was wir nicht machen [="was wir nicht tun"], ist Süßigkeiten austeilen.
  • Scots: The anerly thing we dinnae dae is gie oot snashters.
  • English: The only thing we do not do is hand out sweets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gronings_dialect

The same also applies to France btw, a person from Bretagne speaking breton will be totally un-understandable for someone from the Elzas speaking only Elzassisch

The differences inside Europe(an countris) are stunning, inside a country like France there are bigger differences as in the entire US, let alone Europe as a whole...

(We europeans often fail to understand how massive the US is as country, yet americans forget how incredible cultural diverse Europe is)

you mean this Schumacher :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIAT74L3R38

(it was not even a yellow card i think xD)

The team of the 1/8th finals (according to Twitter):

--------------------------------------------------------Howard (USA)-------------------------------------------------------

----De Vrij (NED)-----------------------------------Sokratis (GRE)------------------------------Vertonghen (BEL)--

---Schürrle (GER)------------------Pogba (FRA)-------------De Bruyne (BEL)--------------Rodriguez (COL)---

----Messi (ARG)-------------------------------------Lukaku (BEL)-----------------------------Dos Santos (MEX)----

As for Belgium, we need to score more... We have the most shots at goal (83) and most chances (32) of any team at the World Cup. De Bruyne alone created 10 of those chances against the US. Imagine what kind of team we could be if we finished our chances with the same success rate as the Dutch.

LOL at Schürrle. So far he's been shit. Even that Kramer guy from Germany that came in against Murica was better than him. Dunno why, but imo both him and Goetze are seriously overrated players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIAT74L3R38

(it was not even a yellow card i think xD)

Thrown out, below the force required for a report, he's barely even unconscious.

These are some hits from the Australian Football League's modern era, considered soft and akin to women's netball. Which is part of why the A-League gets very little respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1aU0hz5Tf8

It's very difficult to have respect for a game that encourages and actively rewards cheating at the highest level. Diving should be treated more harshly than Suarez' chompers. Instead it is shrugged off as part of the game.

Oh well, at least this time around there is more attacking football.

@ Folterknecht:

I dont get Oliver Kahn worshipp. I would take Neuer every day over him. Kahn couldnt catch a ball if life depenedent on it and was less consistent. He was top 3-5 goalies of his time but never n1 for me. Deflecting every cross/shot and amount of ridicolous goals he used to concede is enough to not be best ever in my book. Crazy and eccentric for goalkeeper isnt something i want to see (Fabien Barthez comes to mind, miracle France won anything with him).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/world-cup-2014-who-look-like-winners-argentina-belgium-brazil-colombia-costa-rica-france-germany-or-netherland-9580304.html

The Independent gives Argentina the most chance of all teams in the 8th finals to go through, regardless of opposition. I am not claiming they aren't favorites against Belgium, but to call them the best team of the 8 left is probably a bridge too far too.

It also claims Belgium does not know its starting 11. Apart from the first game I doubt that. We just have the luxury of having many good players, and adapt to the circumstances and save players to enter later in the game tactically. We probably have the best bench of all teams in the world cup if you base yourself on the difference in quality between starters and subs.

It also claims Belgium does not know its starting 11. Apart from the first game I doubt that. We just have the luxury of having many good players, and adapt to the circumstances and save players to enter later in the game tactically. We probably have the best bench of all teams in the world cup if you base yourself on the difference in quality between starters and subs.

Having more tactical options and competition for spots in the team are never bad things, that's for sure.

Well, that was a horrible game.

Arty is so OP it's even scoring in the World Cup now :( 

Well, that was a horrible game.

Luckily i was so tired cause i got up early today that i fell asleep just when Hummels scored and woke up just before the end of the game. That was some nice nap. Now i can watch Brasil-Colombia. GO COLOMBIA!!!

What the fuck was that?

The ref, Brasil rather. War, war, war, forcing Colombia to respond with war, war, war.

The ref had 2 options, do what he did or give 10 red cards to each team.

That ref was just awful. His lack of action allowed a very violent and floppy game. Brazil played better than they did before, and congrats to them, but this game was just fucking pathetic.

FUCK MODERN FOOTBALL! This is a pain to watch. The amount of diving, faking and overpayed cunts that calls themselves footballers is immense.

Brazil played better than they did before

Lol...

Well, technically you're correct, this game they didn't play at all, which is still better than trash.

Lol...

Well, technically you're correct, this game they didn't play at all, which is still better than trash.

Disagree, they did play well and fixed a lot of the problems they had in previous games, they still can't pass for shit though.