Private_Miros

WoTLabs World Cup Football Thread

No Götze, no glory!

Goatse shocks the world 

Goatse finds an opening 

Götzseidank, was Klose.

Next Europen Championship will be very interesting I think, a lot of teams on the same level with only Germany sticking out (but all the pressure on them) and Holland with a lot of pressure to confirm too.

I believe I watched about 70% of the matches. Fantastic end to an otherwise solid tournament. Glad all the weirdness and history happened in the semis and that the final was very clean, non-ref dependent, avoided PKs, etc.  Argentina brought a much more complete and aggressive game than they did vs Holland. 

I believe I watched about 70% of the matches.

Pfffft filthy casual, i watched every match :D

Got the final call wrong but got the winner right so I'm happy! Well done Germany. Another star to feather the shirt with.

Pfffft filthy casual, i watched every match :D

Lack of DVR meant having to choose a match during the end of the group stage! I did watch almost every single knockout game. Was out of the house during the 3rd place game, but CBA to find somewhere to see that farce :-D

the final was very clean, non-ref dependent, avoided PKs, etc.

Clean? Did you smoke weed? This match was anything but clean. The Argentinians tried their best to beat the Germans into hospital ... and succeeded rather well.

Unfortunately, the referee was an utter tomato - like so many during this tournament. I was disgusted at the crap that blind Italian was letting slide/didn't even notice:

• Garay bodychecked Kramer in the penalty area. Admittedly the Argentinian played the ball as well but only after he had smashed his shoulder into the face of the German player. Result: Kramer out with a concussion. Neither card nor penalty for a brutal foul.
  • Neuer caught a ball in the penalty area pounding Higuain into the ground in the process. According to the referee: foul Argentina. Insanity! One could have discusse whether Neuer committed a foul but it certainly wasn't one from Higuain.
  • Corner Germany: Müller and an Argentian were fighting to get to the ball. The Argentinian tore so hard on Müller's jersey that you could see half his breast. But that blind man in red didn't notice it, neither did he see the Argentinian who was grabbing Hummels with both arms to make sure he wouldn't get to the ball. Once upon a time this kind of garbage would have gotten Germany a penalty. Instead the referee decided foul Germany.
  • First yellow card of the game: Schweinsteiger barely touches the Argentinian. No tackle, hardly any body-contact. No way in hell that was yellow. Certainly not compared all the crap the referee let slide.
  • Overtime: Mascherano, who had already seen a yellow card, was getting slower but continued to tackle with his fully stretched leg. On two occasions the only thing he hit was his opponents. Those were two clear yellow cards. Mascherano should have been sent showering early! With a lot of mercy a referee can let one such foul pass but not two within a few minutes or he is setting a bad tone implying that everything goes. The Argentinians certainly understood and acted accordingly.
  • Agüero - who had also already seen a yellow card - hit Schweinsteiger in the face with his fist. The punch was hard enough to draw blood. The only possible discussion should have been whether to show him red or be merciful and show him yellow. The result would have been the same. Agüero should have been off the field. Instead the referee let it slide yet again.
  • If Germany hadn't scored a lucky goal soon after, this abysmal performance by the referee would have resulted in a major scandal!

Clean? Did you smoke weed? This match was anything but clean. The Argentinians tried their best to beat the Germans into hospital ... and succeeded rather well.

Unfortunately, the referee was an utter tomato - like so many during this tournament. I was disgusted at the crap that blind Italian was letting slide/didn't even notice:

• Garay bodychecked Kramer in the penalty area. Admittedly the Argentinian played the ball as well but only after he had smashed his shoulder into the face of the German player. Result: Kramer out with a concussion. Neither card nor penalty for a brutal foul.
  • Neuer caught a ball in the penalty area pounding Higuain into the ground in the process. According to the referee: foul Argentina. Insanity! One could have discusse whether Neuer committed a foul but it certainly wasn't one from Higuain.
  • Corner Germany: Müller and an Argentian were fighting to get to the ball. The Argentinian tore so hard on Müller's jersey that you could see half his breast. But that blind man in red didn't notice it, neither did he see the Argentinian who was grabbing Hummels with both arms to make sure he wouldn't get to the ball. Once upon a time this kind of garbage would have gotten Germany a penalty. Instead the referee decided foul Germany.
  • First yellow card of the game: Schweinsteiger barely touches the Argentinian. No tackle, hardly any body-contact. No way in hell that was yellow. Certainly not compared all the crap the referee let slide.
  • Overtime: Mascherano, who had already seen a yellow card, was getting slower but continued to tackle with his fully stretched leg. On two occasions the only thing he hit was his opponents. Those were two clear yellow cards. Mascherano should have been sent showering early! With a lot of mercy a referee can let one such foul pass but not two within a few minutes or he is setting a bad tone implying that everything goes. The Argentinians certainly understood and acted accordingly.
  • Agüero - who had also already seen a yellow card - hit Schweinsteiger in the face with his fist. The punch was hard enough to draw blood. The only possible discussion should have been whether to show him red or be merciful and show him yellow. The result would have been the same. Agüero should have been off the field. Instead the referee let it slide yet again.
  • If Germany hadn't scored a lucky goal soon after, this abysmal performance by the referee would have resulted in a major scandal!

I meant to type close, not clean. Good catch!

It got especially brutal in overtime, I was vaguely relieved to see no one (seriously) hurt - not that I am devaluing concussions. I was glad to see Kramer was able to focus his eyes and walk by the medal ceremony. And Schweinsteiger did appear to be prepared to die or suffer major bodily harm to ensure victory. Still the Argentines fouling wasn't the worst of the tournament. Brazil vs James Rodriguez was a FARCE. 

Reffing for the whole tournament was pretty good though, although they did err on the side of being too lenient on both dives and early yellows. FIFA should consider a card rest after the round of 16 instead of the quarterfinals. 

My lengthy view of last 4 teams, awards and tournament in general...

Brazil:

It was clear before WC that individiually this team wasnt even close to Brazil standards but good performances in South American competitions, solid defense(on paper at least :P ),Neymar and home ground advantage were enough to put them in top contenders. Against Germany it was total collapse, i expected 2-0 or similar scores because without Silva and Neymar Brazil had little chances. For some reason ,against Holland they were favourites according to bookmakers, i dont know how they expected a comeback after 1-7.  They had less than usual referee help through the tournament , tough luck with injuries and first serious opponent that wasnt afraid of them ( Columbia respected them too much to grab a win) dismantled them with ease. Neymar played well, Oscar wasnt terrible, rest  dont deserve mention.

Holland:

In my opinion they were third mainly because Van Gaal and Robben. They were mediocre team with 2 stars (Van Persie wasnt fully fit) and bunch of young prospects from home league. They didnt play particulary nice, its more that other teams were even more boring to watch that made Dutch look good. What i dont understand is optimism about this generation, it seems to me its downward spiral from here. Key players are old and i dont see Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie replacements (or Van Gaal). 90% of this team was Robben so all credit to him.

Argentina:

In group and 1/8 they played terrible and were history in my book, but then lucky injuries forced them to play 4-4-2 instead of 4-3-3. We witnessed best defense on tournament that completely shut down Belgium, Holland and Germany(for 90 mins at least). So how does a defensive camper team get to final? Easy, Messi is worth 3 players upfront. His teammates played defense while he walked slowly back and did his magic when Argentina was attacking. In final Argentina was again underestimated by bookmakers for reason beyond me. They were slightly better team in 90 mins but in extra time Germans were more fit as usual and could maintain tempo. All in all, one very mediocre team+Messi. Mascherano played great, Lavezzi (why keep Higuain and sub him for Aguero???) did well last few games and Sergio Romero (who only received praise after penalties despite being excellent entire tourny).

Germany:

Aside 7-1 rekking of Brazil they didnt dominate any team but it goes more to show how lesser difference is nowadays between top and average teams. Consistent performance every game, superior phisical fitness and lack of any serious opponent made their victory not so surprising. In final Lahm best player, overall Lahm, Neuer, Hummels , Muller, Schweinsteiger (Kroos nope because of pass to Higuain, its enough to ruin entire impression). Ozil bad as most of time this season (Gotze should have played more), Klose is 36 so he did good having considered that. If you look at them its hard to single out anyone  because they are such good team and that is why they are at the top.

About Messi getting golden ball, as many critics suggested its questionable and i wouldnt give it to him ,but its still deserved. I think Robben was best player, Messi second and Neuer third. Mainly because Robben did more in knock out phase.

Honourable mentions: James Rodriguez, Cahill, Mascherano, Hummels, Muller, Neymar, Navas.

When you play for team like Germany (and France, Chile, Costarica etc)) its hard to shine because they would still do ok without 1 or 2 stars, while Argentina without Messi, Holland without Robben, Brazil without Neymar is night and day difference. Thats the reason why Messi got the award, because most of his team is so bad he stands out so much. Haters gonna hate.

Referees were terrible.Football needs technology, save us :P

Probably best WC out of after 2002, lot of goals, only 2 teams shown performances below level of competition (Cameroon, Honduras).

My lengthy view of last 4 teams, awards and tournament in general...

Brazil:

It was clear before WC that individiually this team wasnt even close to Brazil standards but good performances in South American competitions, solid defense(on paper at least :P ),Neymar and home ground advantage were enough to put them in top contenders. Against Germany it was total collapse, i expected 2-0 or similar scores because without Silva and Neymar Brazil had little chances. For some reason ,against Holland they were favourites according to bookmakers, i dont know how they expected a comeback after 1-7.  They had less than usual referee help through the tournament , tough luck with injuries and first serious opponent that wasnt afraid of them ( Columbia respected them too much to grab a win) dismantled them with ease. Neymar played well, Oscar wasnt terrible, rest  dont deserve mention.

Holland:

In my opinion they were third mainly because Van Gaal and Robben. They were mediocre team with 2 stars (Van Persie wasnt fully fit) and bunch of young prospects from home league. They didnt play particulary nice, its more that other teams were even more boring to watch that made Dutch look good. What i dont understand is optimism about this generation, it seems to me its downward spiral from here. Key players are old and i dont see Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie replacements (or Van Gaal). 90% of this team was Robben so all credit to him.

Argentina:

In group and 1/8 they played terrible and were history in my book, but then lucky injuries forced them to play 4-4-2 instead of 4-3-3. We witnessed best defense on tournament that completely shut down Belgium, Holland and Germany(for 90 mins at least). So how does a defensive camper team get to final? Easy, Messi is worth 3 players upfront. His teammates played defense while he walked slowly back and did his magic when Argentina was attacking. In final Argentina was again underestimated by bookmakers for reason beyond me. They were slightly better team in 90 mins but in extra time Germans were more fit as usual and could maintain tempo. All in all, one very mediocre team+Messi. Mascherano played great, Lavezzi (why keep Higuain and sub him for Aguero???) did well last few games and Sergio Romero (who only received praise after penalties despite being excellent entire tourny).

Germany:

Aside 7-1 rekking of Brazil they didnt dominate any team but it goes more to show how lesser difference is nowadays between top and average teams. Consistent performance every game, superior phisical fitness and lack of any serious opponent made their victory not so surprising. In final Lahm best player, overall Lahm, Neuer, Hummels , Muller, Schweinsteiger (Kroos nope because of pass to Higuain, its enough to ruin entire impression). Ozil bad as most of time this season (Gotze should have played more), Klose is 36 so he did good having considered that. If you look at them its hard to single out anyone  because they are such good team and that is why they are at the top.

About Messi getting golden ball, as many critics suggested its questionable and i wouldnt give it to him ,but its still deserved. I think Robben was best player, Messi second and Neuer third. Mainly because Robben did more in knock out phase.

Honourable mentions: James Rodriguez, Cahill, Mascherano, Hummels, Muller, Neymar, Navas.

When you play for team like Germany (and France, Chile, Costarica etc)) its hard to shine because they would still do ok without 1 or 2 stars, while Argentina without Messi, Holland without Robben, Brazil without Neymar is night and day difference. Thats the reason why Messi got the award, because most of his team is so bad he stands out so much. Haters gonna hate.

Referees were terrible.Football needs technology, save us :P

Probably best WC out of after 2002, lot of goals, only 2 teams shown performances below level of competition (Cameroon, Honduras).

i agree with your opinion regarding the teams, but overall it was kinda poor, WC 2006 was imo better (2010 was poor) lots of rather slow games, extra time etc...

ps: and yes, Dutch team performed only well because the rest was crap, luck, Robben, Van Gaal, and above there level performance, i myself fear another Eurocup 2012 incomming (3x defeat in groupstage and bb back home...)

The world cup finally crossed over into my realm. Thus I'm here to give you;

s62QULo.jpg

ZxkTWzK.jpg

TlIf4cm.jpg

d6CLZp8.jpg

Zf7AWwe.jpg

zUWsWGU.jpg

JHvPr0v.jpg

TaA5q1v.jpg

Being married to a wonderful, passionate, beautiful Brasilian woman for 18 years and living in Sao Paulo for the last 10 years... I am, naturally, a fan of Brasil Futebol.

I am a bit disappointed in our team's performance in this Cup, but most Brasilians know the game fairly well and the objective ones thought that we wouldn't win it all this time... just not enough team behind number ten.

But, my wife and I were even more disappointed at the general "ugly" play of most all the teams and players, i.e. grabbing, holding, pulling, smacking, slapping, punching, biting, butting, tripping, stomping, outright tackling, etc etc.  Worse than the play, the lack of calls by the referees was atrocious.

It was a me'lee at times without NEARLY enough yellow and even red cards given. Hope FIFA changes attitude on this count prior to next Cup, we enjoy the finesse of a good futebol match and really don't want to see a wrestling/karate style game.

Ya. Not to be racist, but it seems that south americans tend to play very dirty.

While not South America, the way even the fans act at Mexico's home games vs the US is pretty disgusting. Cups of shit and piss for the players anyone?

Being married to a wonderful, passionate, beautiful Brasilian woman for 18 years and living in Sao Paulo for the last 10 years... I am, naturally, a fan of Brasil Futebol.

I am a bit disappointed in our team's performance in this Cup, but most Brasilians know the game fairly well and the objective ones thought that we wouldn't win it all this time... just not enough team behind number ten.

But, my wife and I were even more disappointed at the general "ugly" play of most all the teams and players, i.e. grabbing, holding, pulling, smacking, slapping, punching, biting, butting, tripping, stomping, outright tackling, etc etc.  Worse than the play, the lack of calls by the referees was atrocious.

It was a me'lee at times without NEARLY enough yellow and even red cards given. Hope FIFA changes attitude on this count prior to next Cup, we enjoy the finesse of a good futebol match and really don't want to see a wrestling/karate style game.

What i hate even more than that is diving and faking "a la Neymar" or Fred in the opening game for that matter. It's disgusting. It was specially disgusting when they were doing it while the score was 5:0 for Germany. They didn't cared about result, but how to get a penalty by diving like an epileptic mr sexiis. If they only used that energy wasted on acting to actually play football maybe they would have better tournament.

With all the diving going on, the refs don't know if a challenge really warrants a card or not. The refs don't want to be responsible for sending someone off who was a victim of a dive. It's ironic that without all the diving, Brazil probably would have gotten more calls in their favor.