Treeburst

Fine... T-10 appreciation thread

Coming to this thread to ask for tips on how to T-10 and maybe heavy tank in general

I'm not fucking terribad at it or anything but when I'm not RR, right click left click pwning pubbies, I often find myself a smoking wreck either wondering how I fucked up (or belatedly realizing how I fucked up).  Thus, there's some things I want to know.

e: i should note that my gameplay in this tank doesn't actually consist of RR right click left click

•  What tanks/combination of tanks/general team comp on the enemy team are a solid decider of where you will go? e.g. E-100 platoon = avoid city/heavy brawling area at the start, which is kind of my general rule anyways since I don't own any super-heavies (the T-10 being the highest-tier heavy I've ever owned)
  • When is it appropriate to rely on my armor? How should I (if at all) rely on my armor when I can't hull down? Should I just be reverse sidescraping if I have to fight a corner?
  • Which tier 9 heavies am I likely to lose a straight-up head-to-head brawl against?  Which tanks should I just start loading gold for the moment I see I'm going to fight them (besides the obvious ones)?
  • Ammo loadouts? I currently carry 20/6/4 but I'm thinking that since I'm not quite likely to see as many waffles as I do in my medium and light tanks, should I drop half of the HE for another 2 HEAT?

Thanks in advance

11 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

Coming to this thread to ask for tips on how to T-10 and maybe heavy tank in general

I'm not fucking terribad at it or anything but when I'm not RR, right click left click pwning pubbies, I often find myself a smoking wreck either wondering how I fucked up (or belatedly realizing how I fucked up).  Thus, there's some things I want to know.

e: i should note that my gameplay in this tank doesn't actually consist of RR right click left click

•  What tanks/combination of tanks/general team comp on the enemy team are a solid decider of where you will go? e.g. E-100 platoon = avoid city/heavy brawling area at the start,No, just wait for them to shot some poor bastards, then pump 2 shots in them while they reload. You can go with mediums any time any map if there is a purpose to it, i.e. if you can push that flank and win by capping - like on Live oaks, etc go bridge if you have slight medium advantage/ same composition. You can always play heavy tank if opponents are bad- you can count to win against them by having very good soft stats, and better dpm. 
  • which is kind of my general rule anyways since I don't own any super-heavies (the T-10 being the highest-tier heavy I've ever owned)
  • When is it appropriate to rely on my armor? How should I (if at all) rely on my armor when I can't hull down? Should I just be reverse sidescraping if I have to fight a corner? Use pike if enemy has about 200 mm penetration and do not use gold. Use turret as often as possible, but not longer than 3 seconds at a time - you have hatches.
  • Which tier 9 heavies am I likely to lose a straight-up head-to-head brawl against?  Which tanks should I just start loading gold for the moment I see I'm going to fight them (besides the obvious ones)?
  • You can win every one depending on your skills/ opponent skills. Also, there is no one that will trump you every time. Just do not trade 1 for 1 with Jap crap, E-75 or WZ 111 1-4 - go 2 for 1 for them. Also, Jap heavy is the only one that REQUIRES gold frontally, but it is one big weakspot for gold. So derpy gun that you will probably evade taking dmg at all if not point blank - just heat+autoaim snapshot. 50% chance to dmg ammorack frontally if you hit middle of the tank. E 75 LFP AP is good, but cHeat will go through turret face, so i load HEAT from start. Conq is the tricky one- similar alpha, better reload, and much better acc. Turret is hard, but front is paper. Aim LFP for free ammo rack dmg. try to trade one for one. Do not go against it if he is hulldown - for every hit on commanders hatch, you will get at least 2 back. For your soviet troll brother, aim LFP with AP, but HEAT wull go through UFP, or shoulders if not angled too much. Avoid troll side zones or turret. You have better handling and dpm, and miles better speed. try to flank and aim low, not high. Side armor e-100 style, beware if you have heat loaded. Also, for E50 load HEAT and aim UFP. He has better acc and soft stats for you to have the time to aim for weakspots if he is not distracted.
  • Ammo loadouts? I currently carry 20/6/4 but I'm thinking that since I'm not quite likely to see as many waffles as I do in my medium and light tanks, should I drop half of the HE for another 2 HEAT?
  • 15/10/5. 13/13/4 if you are in the money.
  • HE is effective with not just waffles, but also on uncaping, and long range E5 trolling(to broke their gun). You need more HEAT than current, though, you will never run out of 15 AP. You are not a sniper. Also, you need enough heat to kill at least one fat tier X heavy with tons of hitpoints. MAUS/E100/IS-4 need 7/7/6 penetrations, and consider some bounces.

Thanks in advance

My answers in bold.

Overall, this tank is like a battlecruiser concept in warships: you can outfight anything you can not outrun, and you can outrun anything you can not outfight.

Well, IS-7 is a downgrade in every department beside armor. Good platoon tank, but powercreeped to hell by HD model E5.

When I see a blue/purple in T-10 I am actually more concerned 1 on 1. Sure, pubbies will kill it eventually, so i can hang back and let them soak dmg while I deal with other targets (which they often fail to do so with IS-7 - that tank could lead a push and turn a flank not by itself but by giving enemy noobs courage to advance - so I end up trying to kill it ASAP even with tier 9s like T-54), but it will punish all my mistakes...

I can outalpha IS-7 with E-100s while bouncing their gold, and outshoot/outmanoeuvre/outarmor it with E5...since it is pretty much IS-7 gold proof except small part of LFP.

T-10 has just a little bit less hitpoints (tier vise even more than IS-7) and can play like a heavium, which IS-7 can not. Somehow i never had problems with dealing with IS-7s, since that tank is balanced around armor, and button 2 solves that nicely (even turret armor with good apcr). IS-7 gun handling makes me get away with a lot more against it, especially if i have E5, i would rather fight it than a T-10 in capable hands. That 122 mm gun is so sweet, and 130 is very derpy. IS-4 in enemy team is often bigger threat if it is in the hands of good player...more hitpoints, smaller and stronger armor if crazy angled. Better AP and gold shell. 

IS-8 could be second best heavy in tier for solopub, behind E-75. VK-b and ST-I are too slow and unwieldy, along with having either paper side armor (VK-B) or paper LFP (ST-I) making them far from ideal unless having solid support.

WZ-111 1-4 is similar to T-10, bigger punch and slightly derpier gun, in exchange for paper LFP, not stellar UFP, weaker turret, but better side armor if you know to use it (and against which tanks stops HEAT very good, APCR less so)

Regarding ammo layout base your maximum AP loadout on what you might use in a fairly average game.  If you are in a game where you fire a lot more than average it will be a carry game and that's when you want those premium rounds.

As PG said you are rarely going to shoot much more than ~15 rounds, and if you do you will be glad to have premium rounds at the end of that game.

HEAT rounds are good when fired from top 122 gun.

122 mm D-25T (Chinese) is the prime example where HEAT is bad round, because of soft stats and bad accuracy.

Generally, HEAT round is good when shot from 122 mm M-62-T2 guns. T-10 have about average aim time, but great soft stats(2.8 is good for tier considering the caliber, E-75 has similar on paper -2.9, but in reality it has 225% more turret bloom and 22% more moving bloom) so you will be almost fully aimed in 2 seconds or so.

ST-I and IS-4 on the other hand need perfect positioning to take shots. Because they have weakspots (ST-I has paper lower plate) and unangled IS-4 is weak, and their soft stats are usually much worse then all opponents, so trying to snapshot is a bad idea.

But, once in a perfect position, they could afford to aim 3-4 seconds in front of the enemies with gold ammo loaded.

Back to the Chinese gun (IS-2, 111,112) - it is crap, since those tanks have no "perfect" armor positioning, even if they manage to hide glaring weakspots there is still weak turret hatches, or whole turret in IS-2 case. 

So, E-75 311 mm ARCR is about as good as 340 heat, sometimes HEAT is worse if stupid IS-7 overangles, but HEAT goes through E-100 and such turrets easier, along with no penn lose at distance. E 75 have big armor advantage, but to score hits, it must aim longer, so the return fire is more accurate, too. It also have worse turret than T-10.

Generally, tanks that are forced to snapshot a lot need APCR as base round, or they suffer a lot. M103 is a prime example where shooting on hard turrets that require HEAT are a risky gamble, because if you aim well to prevent stray shots, you are practically guaranteed to take dmg in return fire, and AP might bounce.

You must never try to hit E-100 with M103 that look in your direction if he is loaded. He could snapshot AP round and penetrate/overmatch your turret. With T-10 you can engage it, and bounce AP with pike or heat with turret. Maybe only if you have Waffle E 100 near you as juicier target.

Regarding T-10: go hulldown against heavies and other hard opponents (they usually have bad gun handling) and shoot 2/3 -3/4 aimed heat rounds. Against meds and other softer targets (opponents with usually good gun handling) snapshot AP rounds.

0.38 accuracy is pretty good at close to medium ranges (50-150 m) for AP snapshots and up to 300 m for HEAT sniping. Further is possible, but not so effective to risk return fire.

E 50 is an exeption, since it is very common and hard opponent with good gun handling and sufficient penetration on base round to shoot through your UFP or hatches. Snapshot HEAT rounds in the center mass and let rng work for you.

5 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

I think part of my unwillingness to carry much gold in this tank is just due to my dislike of HEAT rounds... though iirc the IS-7 has APCR so I suppose I won't have to worry about it after I finish this grind :doge:

IS7's APCR rounds are utter garbage in terms of penetration though. You'll be wishing you had 340 pen heat so you shit right through jag100s and such.

So basically since i came here due to the fact that IS-8 got roundkicked out of the tech tree during my 15 months hiatus and i wanted to know how the T-10 performs compared to the IS-8 due to the fact that ToT allowed me to purchase one, what are the main differences? As far as i've seen the turret shape is much better and looks way harder than the IS-8's old layout with the hatches sticking out momentously.

Any feedback you can give me on what else changed?

On 平成28年2月27日 at 6:20 PM, rojo180 said:

Coming back to this thread wondering when this thread will be called T-10 Appreciation thread...

IS-8 never forget

T-10 is a scam

#makeIS8athingagain

I guess I just really like the velocity bonus for APCR because I'm an autoaiming fgt, plus the RU meds spoiled me a bit with the APCR default round that travels at the speed of god

Anyways, I'll give the ammo loadout a try tonight and keep everything else in mind, thanks for your help

so I forgot to try the upgraded ammo loadout but I did just have a 5k damage game (only first class mastery, too...) where I fired all 20 of my AP shells.

I'd also like to thank the micropositioning thread for giving me a hilarious place to go on Abbey from south, dunked two light tanks sitting on the back slope of the mid path before they even knew what was happening.

I think if I was less spastic with aiming I would've been just fine with 15/10/5

Edit: Well, there's my ace.

Spoiler

QBtAqV8.jpg

ChPZeNm.jpg

jrhIhvv.jpg

This game was run with the suggested 15/10/5 (along with a couple of games prior) and TBH I would've much rather had 3 extra AP instead of the 3 unnecessary HEAT shells that I used after running out of AP.  I mean, part of it was because I wasn't switching to HE for the WT4, mostly because i didn't expect him to keep fucking yoloing into me/sit still long enough to get a second shot on him, but I think the only reason why I made profit this game is because the last two tanks left alive were M41/90's and I just loaded HE for them both.  I also didn't think the arty was fully aimed on me when he got initially spotted, so that was not a fun hit to take (especially since I low rolled him and he survived the shot)

replay here

tl;dr I wouldn't say I'd never run out of 15 AP... so I might find a happy balance and go like... 17 AP, 8 HEAT, 5 HE and roll that way also ace tanker this tank is p gud

That was a nice ace but...enemy team composition was full of squishy top tier tanks, and lower tier heavies. Quite rare matchup.

If you had tier X game with a maus, several IS-7, some random E-100, you will cry for more heat.

Last top of the tree was IS-7, new one is Jageroo. Both need HEAT since only idiots will show lower plate.

There will be more IS-7 for abouth a month more, since missions from top of the tree last longer than top itself.

In fact, one E-75 or Jagdtiger could be counted to drain your 5 HEAT reserves by itself...turret face is too hard for AP...and competent E-75 driver would hide the commanders hatch since it is offset on one side, not to mention hiding LFP by sidescrape. Jagd you need HEAT for superstructure, and UFP too if he is on incline.

If you autoaim too much, sure, you will have problems with HEAT. Also, you need to remember to lead shots more, so some degree of attention is needed.

haha yeah i got really lucky with the comp on that one.  It's probably just because this is like, light tank/spg week or what the fuck ever but all of my matches today have had a maximum of 3 superheavy tanks on the enemy team.

I'm still probably sticking with 17/8/5 unless at some point in the future I feel like I need more HEAT.

Well, 8 heat is better than 5...guess you will not live long enough to fire more in most cases on Jagdtigers and Jageroos...top of the three now...

But If you are determined to get those 17 AP toss 2 HE out for 17/10/3. 

P.S. i had a waffle 4, and firing HE on it is a big mistake. That thing has 80 mm frontal armor...When i knew i was up to get a shot, I would have wiggled like mad to throw aim away from that gun shield made of paper...and dead driver is preferred to dead loader, gunner and commander, with broken gun.

Fire HE at tier 8 and 10 waffles, they are bigger and have huge soft areas. Gun shield on waffle 4 is so tiny, that only meds really can hit it with a reasonable probability...and close range fighting is a big no for it anyway.

I've had some decent success with it against light tank shitters, waffles, and the occasional thin-skinned med tank.  The problem is that light tank shitters you don't usually know well enough in advance to pre-load an HE for them unless they're like the last dude left/you're chasing them, waffles you're liable to eat a shot for probably equal or higher damage (2+ shots if you get tracked) or hit the gun if it's a WT4, and med tanks are cardboard instead of paper so it's a roll of the dice like most everything else in the game

That said, 17/10/3 seems to be the perfect numbers for me so I'll probably end up sticking with that.

Regarding equipment, I thing EGLD>vents, unless you run food.

Food+Vents+BIA gets you about the same performance as EGLD on its own, if you aim fully. For snapshots, vents are better, but you need the combo of Food+BIA+vents to have lower dispersion.

This tank has 400 m view range, which is nice. Without dedicated spotting equipment or expensive food you are close to max view range just by crew skills and vents, though.

On 4/3/2016 at 2:23 PM, Loxx12 said:

This is the setup i roll with. Too much HE can be a waste of ammo imo. 2 is enough for some silly rolls of waifutragger and some artyshits.

0a1803c88f.jpg

Well, I quoted you but it don matter (not really on topic).... can someone enlighten me which sky-cancer is even worth to shoot with HE?!

Thanks