OOPMan

Premium Planes: What's Hot and What's Not...

The number of Premium planes in WoWP is rapidly increasing so I figured it might be time to put together a little buyer's guide to help people spend their gold a little more wisely.

I'm going to base this off the Premium Planes I own. If anyone wants to contribute details on those I don't own, I'll add it to the thread. I'll skip details on planes not available because there's really no pointing in telling people the Ki-33 and F2A-1 club seal with the pros if they can't buy one :-)

Hot:

• LBSh (Tier 4 USSR GA): One of my favourite planes, a capable plane that earns well as long as you focus on enemy aircraft and ignore GTs, which pay next to nothing in terms of silver.
  • Me 110 C-6 (Tier 4 German Heavy Fighter): Very nice BnZ harvester.
  • Me 209V (Tier 5 German Fighter): Master of the vertical and incredibly fun to play but the anemic weaponry makes things a little tough.
  • XF4U-1 (Tier 5 USA Fighter): Powerful boost and decent weapons make this fun to fly and pretty competitive.
  • XP-50 (Tier 6 USA Heavy Fighter): A very nimble Heavy Fighter that packs a punch.

On the Fence:

• IL-2M (Tier 5 USSR GA): Decent earner but Tier 5 MM is less pleasant than Tier 4 MM of the LBSh.
  • Spitfire V DB 605 (Tier 6 German Fighter): Agile at high altitude with acceptable firepower, a rare combination. (Thanks Haswell)
  • XF4F-3 (Tier 4 USA Fighter): Down-tiered F4F with gimped boost and weapons. Can work, but takes effort.

Not:

• P-40 M-105 (Tier 5 USSR Fighter): P-40 with gimped altitude. Yuck.
  • Miles M.20 (Tier 5 UK Fighter): Basically a stock Spitfire. Meh.

Tell me:

• Ba.27M (Tier 3 CN Fighter)
  • Ki-43-Ic (Tier 4 CN Fighter)
  • P-39Q-15 (Tier 6 USSR Fighter)
  • Kawasaki Ki-88 (Tier 6 Japanese Fighter)
  • Mustang  Mk. I (Tier 6 UK Fighter)
  • FW 190 A-8/R2 (Tier 7 DE Fighter)
  • XP-75 (Tier 7 US Heavy Fighter)
  • Yak-3RD (Tier 7 USSR Fighter)
  • Meteor F. I (Tier 7 UK Fighter)
  • J4M Senden (Tier 7 JP Fighter)

The 209V is borderline OP, but I understand why you rated it where you did if you play with 250 ping. The 209V is the fastest plane in tier 5 and it has amazing escape capabilities; you will often find yourself as the last ally alive, win lose or draw. The firepower is pretty weak and that is the only thing that keeps it from being OP, though it did get buffed with 1.3. You have to fly it a certain way and if you do it is definitely "hot".

Although, the introduction of the P-38F complicates things. Whereas only the 109E and the 110E could HOPE to catch you, now you can add the P-38F to that category. Not damning by any measure, but the more fast heavies on the enemy team, the harder it is to make the 209V work. Still would call it "hot" though.

The 209V does have a lot going for it but I think the lack of firepower marks it as a purchase for people who know what they're doing rather than the casual credit grinder :-)

Did they move the C-6 to tier 5 in the last patch?

No, but they did class my mental capacity as junk status :-)

My recent WoT performance confirms this (I just uninstalled to stop myself from wrecking my shitty stats any further)

No, but they did class my mental capacity as junk status :-)

My recent WoT performance confirms this (I just uninstalled to stop myself from wrecking my shitty stats any further)

I think uninstalling WoT is probably indicating the exact opposite. Anyway, moving the C-6 to tier 5 would have probably made too much sense. Can't have new players make it to tier 5 without being clubbed into the ground.

I don't think Wargaming has ever changed the tier of a premium vehicle in any of their games once it has been released.

I don't think Wargaming has ever changed the tier of a premium vehicle in any of their games once it has been released.

They changed the tier of the Type 62 from 6 to 7.

It's worth noting that premiums in WoWP come with 100% crew.  If you are planing on going up the German heavy line, buying a 110-C6 gets you a couple of 100% German heavy fighter crewman, which can be a big boon.

Of the Tier 6 Prems I don't have, the one I'm most interested in is the Spitfire V DB 605. It looks like a Spitfire with amped up altitude. Sounds workable. Any verdicts?

Low airspeed means it's difficult to mantain energy in prolonged fights, but it has unparalleled agility at high alt sufficient to overcome the initial disadvantage in energy state.

Guns are meh, but very workable.

Gud plane.

Low airspeed means it's difficult to mantain energy in prolonged fights, but it has unparalleled agility at high alt sufficient to overcome the initial disadvantage in energy state.

Guns are meh, but very workable.

Gud plane.

SOLD!

Updated. Moved 209V to Hot and dropped Spitfire V DB 605 down to On the Fence.

Haven't played the 209V a bit more, I can say it's actually pretty awesome. One of the few planes in tiers MM that can fly literally vertically and not stall. Very fun to plane and quite effective. A pretty good BnZ trainer, it's teaching me a lot.

The Spitfire V is pretty nice but it also faces much stiffer opposition, seeing Tier 7s and 8s that can wreck it pretty easily. Not a bad plane and it may move back to Hot as I get more experience with it...

If you're going to fly the IL-2m as a super-heavy and ignore the GTs entirely (My preferred style in GA) then you need to remove the bombs. With bombs it's simply too sluggish to do well against fighters. Keep the rockets tho, you can never go wrong with rockets.

If you're going to fly the IL-2m as a super-heavy and ignore the GTs entirely (My preferred style in GA) then you need to remove the bombs. With bombs it's simply too sluggish to do well against fighters. Keep the rockets tho, you can never go wrong with rockets.

I usually don't go after air targets with it. Even going after just GT's, it's easy to make upwards of 40k gross.

I usually don't go after air targets with it. Even going after just GT's, it's easy to make upwards of 40k gross.

Read this: http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/lbsh-and-alternative-play-style-for-ga-aircraft/

With the advent of the XP-50, you will never need another credit grinder (until they implement higher tiered premiums). That thing earns like a Type 59 but at tier 6 instead of 8...

With the advent of the XP-50, you will never need another credit grinder (until they implement higher tiered premiums). That thing earns like a Type 59 but at tier 6 instead of 8...

Assuming you don't suck in Heavies. I am not that good in them and have trouble earning as well as I do in my LBSh :-(

Assuming you don't suck in Heavies. I am not that good in them and have trouble earning as well as I do in my LBSh :-(

Maybe you need to avoid cowling and hub mounted weapons with your ping? That pretty much eliminates all three heavy lines with few exceptions. Maybe try flying US lights in addition to ILs? The big problem would be jets, since almost all of them use cowling mounted weapons across all nations (including ILs)...

Maybe you need to avoid cowling and hub mounted weapons with your ping? That pretty much eliminates all three heavy lines with few exceptions. Maybe try flying US lights in addition to ILs? The big problem would be jets, since almost all of them use cowling mounted weapons across all nations (including ILs)...

I think it may be more of a skeel thing. I am getting better at this game and learning to compensate for the ping, but I'm still pretty crap :-)

Does this only include premiums you are actually capable of buying?

Example: The Cessna of Doom