CarbonatedPork

Ideas for Real-Time Platoon Matchmaking Service

Where's Never?  Seems like it would be easier to tap into Wotlabs data for wn8 than trying to calculate yourself.  Also if you develop the app for a site as a plugin maybe Never can host on Wotlabs. 

Even if you got this going -just- with the WG data using personal rating/battles/etc. it'd be pretty effective.  Particularly if you could see clan tags net to the PR.  A guy with 6k PR, 8k battles and Rel-A tag is going to be more likely to be good@tanks than a guy with the same stats and a IOC tag. Just to grab a random example... ;)

You can always push out a second version that hooks into other rating systems.

The server load is already quite high on this site, probably best not to increase it more.  Not that I don't want this idea to happen.

Think deeply about the reputation piece as it sounds like an avenue that could be abused quickly and have a negative connotation.

Yeah, I don't think it's really worth bothering Never about until I at least get a prototype up and running. Otis is probably right about undue load on Never's boxen, though. Anyway, for the initial go I can just include a link to a WoTLabs sig or something. Browsers would cache that sort of thing and I don't imagine this platooning site is going to be super high traffic.

A reputation system could definitely be abused, but I don't think it's going to require a huge amount of work to safeguard. If the site: (a) ties users to Wargaming accounts and (b) requires platooning with a player for a specified amount of time before allowing that player to be voted on, that should about cover the bases. I would probably end up keeping the reputation score a nebulous thing so that players won't be able to easily tell who repped them.

This sounds great, keep working :)

So, uh, I left my laptop power adapter at home when we left for vacation. A man cannot code on battery alone!

Incidentally, I need an extra one and one-day shipping with Amazon Prime is only $4 so I should be getting a package at our rental later today. Will get to crackin' on some code once I can get some juice for my laptop!

In the next month or two, I'm going to be leaving my current job to strike it out on my own. I've been super busy with other IRL stuff that's caused me to put this idea on the backburner for a while, but I'll have the free time to plug away at this in the nearish future.

Since Never made the WoTLabs data available to monjardin's WotScout.com, I should be able to reuse the same interface and not have to calculate all that shit myself. Good stuff.

Have you thought about doing an in-game mod that connects to your server like XVM does? It would be sweet if this all happened in the game client and invites went out automatically. I'm not sure how difficult that is to do, but I can look into it.

I taught myself golang when it first came out. It's a really cool language. WoTScout is Python/Flask because that was what I wanted to learn at the time. Let me know if you want any help.

EDIT: I just noticed how old this thread is. Is the project still going to happen?

Actually, that's a pretty slick idea. I only have a cursory understanding of WoT mods, but it looks like they're written in Python from their file extensions. I might poke around with that idea when I get started. vbAddict's stuff on github would probably be a good start.

I'm about four or five weeks out from leaving my current job, which is when I'll be able to focus on working on this in earnest. Should be a neat project to help me get into the "work for myself" mindset, where I compartmentalize my time without having it done for me by commuting to an office.

Why isn't this on GitHub? I'd love to contribute code and/or hosting to this or other interesting projects.

Sorry to raise the dead, but I think this really needs to happen. Have you started on it? Do you mind if I take a crack at it, or work on it together with you?

Some professional we developers out of Canada are building a WoTScout copycat. It seems like a good catalyst to branch in different directions while they play catchup. There is potential for using some cool technologies that I haven't played with before in this idea of yours.

Any word on an API for the new social contact list that's upcoming? That could be big for this.

Sorry to raise the dead, but I think this really needs to happen. Have you started on it? Do you mind if I take a crack at it, or work on it together with you?

Some professional we developers out of Canada are building a WoTScout copycat. It seems like a good catalyst to branch in different directions while they play catchup. There is potential for using some cool technologies that I haven't played with before in this idea of yours.

Any word on an API for the new social contact list that's upcoming? That could be big for this.

You know, I haven't actually gotten crackin' at this and I should. What sort of languages and platforms would you prefer to use for this, were we to work together?

I know you've actually delivered on WoTscout, so please feel free to take the idea if you'd like to stay solo. I'm still interested in working on it, but I need some ramp up time to get comfortable working on webdev stuff.

WoTScout is written in Python using Flask running on an Linux VPS. The same basic stuff would run on GAE pretty readily. I just like the flexibility on running my own (virtual) server though.

There are a lot of different pieces to projects like this. It would be cool to have someone to collaborate on it.

WoTScout is written in Python using Flask running on an Linux VPS. The same basic stuff would run on GAE pretty readily. I just like the flexibility on running my own (virtual) server though.

There are a lot of different pieces to projects like this. It would be cool to have someone to collaborate on it.

Sure, man. I'm pretty familiar with C/C++, Java, Perl, and Go. Linux, too. I wouldn't mind picking up some Python along the way. I've been meaning to for a while. Let's do it. I'll poke around with Flask and Python tomorrow. We could whiteboard some basics out if you know of a good collaboration tool for UML kinda stuff.

I love C/C++, but Python/Ruby/etc as so much more expressive. There are libraries for everything. It's a rapid prototyping dream. Golang would be interesting for any high performance asynchronous I/O requirements. Goroutines make that kind of code comfortable to write.

It wouldn't all have to be in any one language. I like running the mongrel2 ( http://mongrel2.org) web server. It makes it incredibly easy to scale out and use disparate back ends. As an aside, the author, Zed Shaw, is a bit of a unicum hacker and a really interesting guy to follow on Twitter.

As for a whiteboard, I think a Google doc would be fine to start. My email address is on the WoTScout home page if you want to start one and share it. We'd need requirements for an MVP before getting in to fancy UML diagrams. WoTScout is 100% cowboy coding, but good documentation is preferable when it's not a solo operation. ;)

I can make and share a simple web app that lets users log in with their WG OpenID and view their stats. It seems like a good example that you could play around with to get your feet wet.

This sounds pretty awesome!

If you're doing this as a web-app, Python + Flask will let you get up and running fast.

Pork,

Here's a real simple web app: http://wotm8.us/. It just let's you log in with your WG OpenID and display you public personal data (see https://na.wargaming.net/developers/api_reference/wot/account/info/). Send me a PM with contact info so I can set you up with an account on the server. Then you can start playing with it.

That domain was $3 and I thought it was funny. Feel free to suggest a different one. I think platoonfinder.com is still available.

https://www.destinylfg.net/

use this for inspiration

I dont think this app needs to be too complicated, just posts looking for members stating requirements, etc

then add filters for the posts ala wn8 requirements etc

This may hurt people a bit, for example, I personally try to stay calm most times, and im a fun guy when im calm, but after a few frustrating pub matches though i tend to get pretty annoyed and rage a bit- i.e arty raping me, pubs not supporting, stupid stuff in general. I think by allowing users to make a disclaimer or general profile explaining what the player does and doesn't like (what pisses them off and doesn't) as well as a defense for said rage would be somewhat helpful to the player and players searching for platoons.

The reputation will be based on anonymous ratings that other players give based on how fun it is to platoon with that person.

Check https://openraid.eu/  for ideas too. Thats WoW raid finder system with LOT of features including reputation system and all other bells&whistles. Though I would thing its first better to keep platoon finder as simple as possible as there is lot of potential pitfalls doing something as comprehensive as openraid is. For example reputation system should have protections against misbehiour by reputation givers to prevent peoples giving revenge reputation etc.