Locoace1

Warhammer Anyone?

I play a lot of Warhammer, mostly the PnP RPG's, and i've recently got into the tabletop game, though I really only play 40k, since the fantasy doesn't suit me, gotta love that grimdarkness. As for the tabletop i've been looking at making an Ork army, but they haven't gotten a new codex in a while, wondering if i should really just wait for a new one to start buying figures. As for the books, i've recently gotten the first two in the Horus Heresy series, and i have two Ciaphas Cain books.

Anyone else into the games/books/RPG's/Tabletop Wargames that make up Warhammer?

I used to play in 2nd edition 40k, then picked it back up in... 5th I think? Haven't played in the current edition and not planning on doing the new one either. 2nd, even though very tedious at times and often flawed, was the most enjoyable for me. The extra complexity of the rules was something I really enjoyed digging into when I was younger. You can find a scanned/whatever version of the 2nd Ed core rules online somewhere, it's worth a read just to compare and laugh. Multi-melta does d12 wounds? Powerfist for d20? Carnifex with 16 wounds wat? My tank's driver was killed by a shot and now it's going wildly out of control and running over my own troops? Good times.

I have like $1200 worth of Space Marines/IG/Blood Angels sitting in army carrying cases that I need to sell :(

I've had a few periods of playing the game over the last 20 years or so. Started with 40k around the Rogue Trader/2nd edition days, and Fantasy around the same time probably. I've returned to 40k a couple times since then to donate some of my hard-earned cash to GW. Ultimately the practical obstacles to playing a tabletop game like that gets in the way of me actually doing it, and I go back to wishing someone would do a good digital adaptation of it. I secretly hope for an online version of it in the vein of Magic The Gathering Online, although a discounted price over the actual miniatures would be greatly appreciated! I've generally gravitated towards the good guys: Space Marines and Imperial Guard.

I've also dabbled with Necromunda and played a fair amount of Blood Bowl.

I got a ton of 40k minis never touched. I was going through my buy everything phase. I could never paint well enough. Trying to get ride of them... don't know what they are worth. Lots of Space Marines and Eldar.

IG and Space marines are good? what? 

I do see that the models are rather expensive, which is why i prefer the fantasy flight games better, i love Dark Heresy, Black Crusade, and a special place in my nerd heart for Only War. It's also a lot cheaper.

I have 24 Tau Firewarriors on my desk that need finished before I move next week. All I need to do is glue the pulse rifles on and highlight and they're done. They've been that way for nearly a year, mainly because I hate sending an army onto the table with a sloppy paint job and insisted on building the whites up all the way from black over the entire carapace plate on each FW. Can't... be... bothered.

I have 24 Tau Firewarriors on my desk that need finished before I move next week. All I need to do is glue the pulse rifles on and highlight and they're done. They've been that way for nearly a year, mainly because I hate sending an army onto the table with a sloppy paint job and insisted on building the whites up all the way from black over the entire carapace plate on each FW. Can't... be... bothered.

I want to get into tabletop but i couldn't paint for my life, so i'm saving up to send them to some real painters. 

Used to play quite a bit of 40k in my late teens/early 20s.  I think that was 2nd edition.  When the following edition came out, I kind of liked the simplification, but also felt that the game lost a lot of character.

Main army was SM, Dark Angels.  Had enough bikes/speeders to form a Ravenwing army, so long as some bent rules were allowed.  Multiples of the various other squad types, allowing me to have accurate figures for different weapon configurations.  Could easily field over 5k points worth.  Additionally had an assassin from each temple, as well as a standard Leman Russ and a Demolisher variant that I'd bring in under the up to 25% allies rule.  A few of the Blood Angels leaders as well, though they were just for show, and never took part in a battle.  

Also got some figs from a 3rd party (Armorcast or some such)  Baneblade and a Warhound titan.  Required some more bent rules, but a few other players in my area had similar pieces, so we'd allow that bend fairly often.  

Briefly had an Eldar army.  My best friend's perpetually broke brother used it to settle a debt, and I sold it off.  

Had a sizable Tyranid force as well.  Though fewer in number, I was more proud of them.  My painting skills had improved, and they looked a lot better than my "Primer + a bit of color on the weapons" marines.  I still have the better of my two Carnifexes fighting my Leman Russ tank back in my old home office.  On one of my good RNG days, my Hive Tyrant took down a Bloodthirster in single combat.  

Finally, 

*Tip*  Red ones go faster.

That's not a tip.  That's a universal law.

I quite enjoy in my 40k lore as well, but as a gamer i play the PnP RPG's, i even run my own Only War game, good fun.

Only ever tried the PnP version of non-40k.  For some reason, "guns" and "PnP RPG" have never gone together in my mind.  Tried a few of them, but never enjoyed them as much as more traditional, sword and sorcery RPGs.  

As far as gaming off the tabletop, I've always loved the Games Workshop games.  Played Space Hulk on PS1, as well as the recent PC conversion.  The little known Chaos Gate is one of my all time favorite turn based strategy games.  I actually burned the sound track to CD, I liked it so much.  There was a Panzer General clone as well, Rites of War.  Hell, had to google the name.  Notable, because Eldar were the primary race.  Enjoyed Final Liberation, an Epic 40k game as well.  Gotta love titans.  Played Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen from the fantasy universe many times as well.  Liked both, though Omen was far superior, and is the only one I will still occasionally play.

Dawn of War was a near religious experience.  I swear, the first time I watched that opening scene, it felt like it lasted 45 minutes.  It was perfect... everything flowed so well.  The firefight, the charge, the dreadnought...  Odin almighty, the dreadnought!  Last gasp takes the objective...  a scarred, meaningless hill.  Played every sequel and expansion thus far, though I don't think any part of II topped Dark Crusade.  And I love Tyranids....  Tyranid campaign in Retribution came close, but it fed into my bias.  

Space Marine... ehh.  Felt too much like "Medal of Battlefield Duty II" with a coat of Ultramarine Blue.  

Will probably never happen, but I'd like to see another Dark Omen style game.  Squad based, meaningful choices, reinforcements as a resource, persistent units that gain levels, but are gone for good if they die.  

Only ever tried the PnP version of non-40k.  For some reason, "guns" and "PnP RPG" have never gone together in my mind.  Tried a few of them, but never enjoyed them as much as more traditional, sword and sorcery RPGs.  

Ah i love the modern PnP games. I run a post apocalypse game and an Only War. They're both great. But since I also owe the old timers for bringing me into gaming, i play a necromancer in a DnD 3.5 game.

I'd play the game if I could, but christ, those start-up costs.

PS: Thousand Sons for life

Nah, it's all about nurgle cultists.

I'd play the game if I could, but christ, those start-up costs.

Just play Necrons, it's only ~$100 to get the rulebook and Codex and you can rummage through the GW store's trash for used sprues, and you can play with this:

IMG_0126.jpg

You can even go to tournaments with them, provided that you paint them at least 3 colours, because they're 100% GW plastic.

PS: Thousand Sons for life

Death Guard pride world wide, Tzeentch scum.

Legion of the Damned... I got a full squad in metal never touched.

Death Guard 

It's my brother in the space marines!

I am one of the few who appreciates regular cultists.

I used to play, but costs too damn much. (In AUD $) Can get cheap deals on Ebay.

Still have some rare models lying around, and about 1k points of space marines and a full empire army.

Tourneys are pretty fun, won best painted with my Chaos marines with a converted dreadnought.

Also, nurgle is zee best. Who doesn't like a good old fashion plague?

I used to play, but costs too damn much. (In AUD $) Can get cheap deals on Ebay.

Still have some rare models lying around, and about 1k points of space marines and a full empire army.

Tourneys are pretty fun, won best painted with my Chaos marines with a converted dreadnought.

Also, nurgle is zee best. Who doesn't like a good old fashion plague?

I like nurgle just based on his entire "personality" he's basically the big happy family of chaos. And nurgle himself is the slovenly but lovable father.

It's my brother in the space marines!

I am one of the few who appreciates regular cultists.

Nurgle is Love, Nurgle is Life.

Cultists are okay, but Traitor Guardsmen are more interesting thematically. It's one thing to be fed up with the Imperial Theocracy, but being driven mad from constant war and bloodshed with incomprehensible horrors from beyond the stars makes for better characterization.

The Dark Mechanicus are the best out of all of them, though they also have the worst name.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the dreadnought?

Nurgle is Love, Nurgle is Life.

Cultists are okay, but Traitor Guardsmen are more interesting thematically. It's one thing to be fed up with the Imperial Theocracy, but being driven mad from constant war and bloodshed with incomprehensible horrors from beyond the stars makes for better characterization.

The Dark Mechanicus are the best out of all of them, though they also have the worst name.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the dreadnought?

Oh yeah traitor guardsmen are hella interesting as well, but the whole "regular humans given freedom from pain and suffering by the glorious grandfather" in a universe of giant evil things that will kill you 6 ways from sunday is what i find the best. I don't like Space Marines solely to the fact they're built for this. Guardsmen have my respect since they aren't special at all,cultists as well.

Death Guard has a spot on my list though, but they just look cool

because they're 100% GW plastic.

Ugh...  Call me a purist with too much disposable income, but I always disliked the plastic minis.  Sure, some were unavoidable, but I went with metal as often as possible.  My Carnifexes, 'gants, 'gaunts, stealers, Tyrant, biovore, spore mines, and ripper swarm were all metal.  Only plastic 'nids I had were the warriors.

As for the marines, most of my basic troops, heroes, terminators, scouts, speeders, servitors, guns, and assassins were metal.  Tanks and bikes were plastic only, and I did break down and buy some plastic troops when they did a redesign.  Liked the look of the hip fired heavy bolter over the shoulder mount, and the sniper rifle lascannon over that same shoulder mount.  

Dammit... now I want to play again.  

Ugh...  Call me a purist with too much disposable income, but I always disliked the plastic minis.  Sure, some were unavoidable, but I went with metal as often as possible.  My Carnifexes, 'gants, 'gaunts, stealers, Tyrant, biovore, spore mines, and ripper swarm were all metal.  Only plastic 'nids I had were the warriors.

As for the marines, most of my basic troops, heroes, terminators, scouts, speeders, servitors, guns, and assassins were metal.  Tanks and bikes were plastic only, and I did break down and buy some plastic troops when they did a redesign.  Liked the look of the hip fired heavy bolter over the shoulder mount, and the sniper rifle lascannon over that same shoulder mount.  

Dammit... now I want to play again.  

There is always the cheaper PnP games, or even the video games, if you're into that sort of tech-heresy.