Baron Georg

Who wants to show a 43 to 45% how to get better by doing a lot of explaining

I don't have a contagious deadly disease.  I don't ride the short bus.  I don't have a prem account.   I don't have anything above the lone tier 8.  I am not a lost cause because I am currently at 43 to 45%.   I do present a challenge.  I want to get better.  I want to be assisted in getting better.   So who will listen to me rage about invisitanks while explaining where I got hit from and why.  Who will guide me back to the proper mindset after I get frustrated at my inability to do the right thing.  I can not do this alone.

Na east, usually starting in the afternoon 1ish CDT   Monday-Thursday.  Fri, Sat, Sun. hit and miss right now, mostly miss.  Have TS.   Please tell me that my times available are not zero dark thirty for you.   We can work on the time as needed.  Thanks in advance.

Nah man, I am pretty flexible. I'm usually on in the afternoons. We will get together and I am sure I can explain a lot of basics that have helped me.

Don't just rely on cvshaft to get better. Start reading up on the game mechanics. Seeing as you said you rage at invisible tanks, start with the spotting and camo mechanics. ( http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/tired-invisible-tanks-using-the-vision-system-in-world-of-tanks/ )

Best of luck to you! 

Once you learn how the spotting mechanics work, and how to angle your armour effectively, and know where to shoot weak spots you should be doing ALOT better overall.

The one thing that you should get better at is Looking at the mini map!!!!, even I need to do this more, sometimes I tunnel vision and BOOM a med/light just flanked me :/

start with a little self respect, believing you can be good is (imo) part of getting there.

gl :)

this. if you believe you can, then, with some work, chances are you can. I expect green recent within a month! :P

I'm not usually on before 7pm eastern (or after 11pm) during the week, but if you see me in game, send me a message - I'd love to help.

Thanks for the replys.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, watching replays both others and my own are of limited help to me.   I don't fully comprehend why something is going on.  With regards to spotting, I understand  for lack of a better term proxy spotting. Don't necessarly like or agree with it but it is what it is.  I still get very frustrated by the fact that I'm getting hit with seamingly no recourse to return fire because I can't locate the tank shooting.  It is affecting my ability to make decisions in game.   I "think" I'm doing better watching the minimap but who knows.   I have several people who were going to comment on specific replays but it has been a while on those and I am starting to loose hope on that aspect of assistance.   I understand that many ask for reviews and there are only so few who are willing/capable or doing it.  I don't want to but anyone about the replays either. 

The closest analogy I can use is math.   Math is taught as a series of incremental logical steps with only a limited way to the answer.  If you don't KNOW that X is a factor of Y AND can be broken down in so many 2 times 2's then you can't get the solution.  I Know that there are peices of my gameplay that are not optimal.  Which ones need fixing and in what order I don't know.   Nor do I know if I am using all of the game mechanics to my advantage all, some or none of the time.   I've been working on improvement for over a month and I don't see my recent gameplay as anywhere near green. 

Hope I haven't turned anyone against me with my attitude.  I don't want or mean to appear as a whiner or complainer.

PM me if you see me online, I will run with you for a few games. May not have coms. Oh, look up Gandaran. Tell him you're from WoTLabs and that derpTacular said you should help Georg become gud, you filthy ehundo padding whore (he's a nice dude, will definitely help)

Minion Consortium

If you have any interest in joining a training clan use above link.

M-I-T is all about getting better. Regular training sessions, lots of cools guys to toon with.

Check us out.

EDIT: Missed you have tags, but still feel free to drop by.

I would play with you.

I don't tolerate sperg rage though. 

Getting invisitanked is your fault, I'm happy to explain how to avoid it, but I'm not going to listen to anyone bitch about it

Getting shot by gold happens. Getting bad teams happens.

Baron Georg and I platooned for a couple hours tonight. He was very pleasant to work with, despite the run of... uniquely qualified... teams we found ourselves on. No frothy rage, and just enough frustration/disappointment with himself after low damage rounds to underscore that this is someone who wants to improve, not a potato full of excuses.

We focused on KV-1 (best teaching tank, and his best performer). He's a little more willing to cross open spaces than is healthy (reminiscent of myself), but he's not generally too far forward or too far back. I tried to emphasize advancing with cover, and presenting favorable angles while doing so. After engagements, he was asking good, targeted questions about where he could have done better.

To anyone pondering stepping up and helping him on the path to being a better player - do it. It's a great opportunity, and he's got plenty of potential.

I played with Baron tonight as well. Super cool guy. 

I got faith in him. Anyone wanting to help a player get better, Baron is perfect. He can learn the game without an issue in my book. 

He posted here and dropped his guard to ask for help; I really respect that. He really wants to learn. T

+1 and I will see baron some more  :smug:

To reinforce what Pauli said: Baron never made an excuse for anything. He wants to know what is happening and why. 

It's been a while that this thread was active and I'm hopeing that I can still get some feedback.   I've improved marganally but seem to still not get it.  Putting on flame retardent suit and awaiting reviews.

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1153705#self

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1153725#westfield-sca_baron_georg-churchill

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1153711#siegfried_line-sca_baron_georg-churchill

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1153715#steppes-sca_baron_georg-churchill

It looks to me like you're definitely on the right road for improvement, so as one fellow trying to be a better tanker to another, keep on going! :) I'll let the pros reply to your replays, but thought I'd give you some encouragement.  :thumbup:

Took a look at the Siegfried Line game over lunch. Since I have the 9.1 client installed, I am not sure if there any any odd discrepancies between what I saw and what happened.

I'm not super fond of taking that position with the Churchill. Most of the time, engagements will happen to the left of your position. Since the Churchill is so unwieldy, you have to turn it sideways as you did. Just a bit too clunky in that spot for me.

But the main thing that stood out is poor shot selection:

You put a handful of shots into the mantlet of the T14, where you have little or no chance to pen him. If you aim for the sliver of turret cheek instead, you might hit and pen a couple. Given the fact that his turret is the only thing exposed, you are probably better off not exposing yourself until he is not aiming your way. 

You get fired at and back off. At this point you have three turrets all facing your direction. Your turret front is weak, and you have to expose it to fire. Don't come out to fire, you cannot trade favorably at that point. Wait for them to turn elsewhere. While it's maybe not obvious, your spot is tenuous at this point: The tanks to your left (heavy and an arty???) are basically fucked since the reds have shown a willingness to just push into them and they have numbers. Your right consists of three aggressive tanks and a D.W or VK30. It won't last long in its spot. Consider relocating towards the TD in G0, perhaps towards F9. Hard call, since you write off the current engagement completely and you are slow as molasses.

You decline a shot at the turret side of the T14 to take a shot at his angled upper front plate with predictable results. You then put another round into his side at a steep angle for another bounce. There's a window to shoot at the front corner of the turret, which is a flat plate facing you. It looks like you use the indicator to look for a weakspot. The T14 is a trap in this regard, since slope is not considered. You have 3 possible targets in that spot: The turret corner and side (side is slightly better than 50/50), the MG port on the front left, and the front sprocket. Given the position and timing, the turret is your best bet, even if it's a coinflip.

You then engage a Wolverine with only a sliver of his turret to shoot for, and put two into his mantlet in return for getting penned a couple times. At this point, he is the only spotted threat with a line of fire to you if you pull out enough to see his hull. You can then relatively reliably pen his hull, and you have better DPM than him. Not a great trade, but better than what you do here. You then end up sitting idle while the tanks on your left get enveloped and killed. You are now well and truly fucked. You face 4 enemy tanks alone, 3 of which are heavy tanks that you will have to aim to pen on. There are too many in field moving too slowly, and your only support can only cover your right flank and is engaged already. At this point you are basically selling yourself as dearly as possible. That means trying to get damage in on the Wolverine and possibly T14 before the KV-1 pair shreds you.

It looks like you try to hide, in the hopes that they will all pass you. But at least one of the KV-1 came all the way around to kill your teammates, so he will probably go in a straight line south of the buildings to engage the rest. Engage the T14 and Wolverine with front turned there, and stay in the alley. That way your rear isn't exposed for a while since the KV-1 is slow. The rest is, as they say, history.

To recap, the main issues in this replay are: Choosing if and when to engage properly, and shot selection once you engage. Don't engage multiple tanks turned and firing on you, unless you can reliably bounce their fire. When you do engage, do so because you have shots that you can pen or because engaging means you buy time for others to flank. When firing, shoot for flat plates, track sprockets, and similar spots, unless your gun can pen without question. Know enough about the tanks you will face that you know whether their turret or hull is the better target etc.

To a lesser degree, you needed to realize that your position was compromised early enough to relocate and consolidate. That's pretty hard to do in the Church III of course, as you need a lot of lead time.

Hope some of this helps. It's not from a purple, but take it for what it's worth =) 

a simple piece of advice which helped me to improve a lot was doing the exact opposite of this:

take_what_you_can__give_nothing_back__by

wouldnt focus on getting wr up straight away, keep doing the damages, and keep getting the kills, the wr will take care of itself, and from looking at the after battle results, it seems you miss/don't penetrate a lot of your shots, just keep in mind what happens when you fire, you give the enemy a chance at charging you or getting a shot at you, or if you're hidden you get spotted, so only fire when you know you can penetrate, (the churchill 3 does have bad accuracy and the reload is enough to not get charged, but you can see where im going), just some generic advice and certainly not as good as the other things here. :P

After reviewing your replays:

z5WIWpb.jpg 

-If your MM isn't at least this big, i'm going to hit you. I don't think you're paying the MM enough attention.

-If you don't start using RMB to swing your camera around, i'm going to hit you. If you want to look around the map, hold the RMB and then swivel, bring the camera back to the front, and release.

The turret on the Chuch III is slow, don't point it somewhere it doesn't need to be pointed.

-You can't shoot mantlets. In numerous confrontations, especially against a T14 you continually shoot the mantlet, even after it tells you numerous times its not penning. I'm going to hit you, don't shoot mantlets.

-On Westfield you went straight into the town...alone. So you drive into a spot where you have to be concerned about being shot from three directions...I'm going to hit you...don't do that. You have no speed and no egress, except backwards (more on this in a second).

-Reverse. I'm going to hit you...the S key is your friend. Don't be afraid to use it. It doesn't cost you anything to go into reverse and may save your bacon.

-On Steppes I notice you contemplate going in alone, and then decide not to. I won't hit you-smart move. However, when support rolls in, you decide to not go in with them. Safety in numbers. Never go alone unless you know you can take them, out DPM them, or out HP them...and they don't have backup.