rocketbrainsurgeon

M18 Hellcat – A Padder’s Plaything by MaxL_1023

Nice guide!

The only thing I would add is that it is possible to carry a tier 8 game by damage output if you carry enough APCR. Just play the same way you do in tier 6 games only with more caution. However, if nobody is scouting, then you won't be doing any good unless you are spotting the targets yourself.

It is quite possible, but the goal is to direct the battle so that you don't have to damage carry. Despite the strength of APCR, most tier 8s have more firepower. Better a hellcat scouting and a Rhoomba/ISU/T28p sniping then the other way around.

Good guide especially liked the way you talked through your thought process. Makes it easier for someone like me to improve.

I lol'd at the bio. Otherwise gud guide.

MaxL_1023 walks the line separating aggressive play from full potato. A pioneer of the assault Waffle, he focuses on position denial and adds 50% more armor to everything he drives. MaxL_1023 played the E-100 before it was cool. A common refrain of friend and foe alike: what is he doing there, and how is he not dead yet?

Being the damage whore that I am I used to scream at my teammates to go scout for me in a tier 8 game so I could farm damage. It was usually met with, "r u retared".

Being the damage whore that I am I used to scream at my teammates to go scout for me in a tier 8 game so I could farm damage. It was usually met with, "r u retared".

Yeah, well, you used to make my TD scout for your T-62a in tier 10 games as well...

Great article MaxL, I thought that it was well-written, thought out, and very informative. I do have some questions though.

Is it really that close to the ELC in play-style, and easier? How is it that the expected for unicum stats is over 2x, even if it's somewhat more forgiving?

Also, I personally don't really find the ELC to have been too hard to master ever since I brought it back in the ending days of WN7; my winrate in it shot up from 44% to 54/55% almost overnight. If anything, its ability to both spot Tier 6/7 tanks and shoot back unseen at ranges of ~350 meters with binocs and a camo crew makes it extraordinarily easy for me, despite the fact that I'm typically very aggressive and not a particularly good player myself.

To really be effective in an ELC, you need to be able to seamlessly transition from active scout, to damage dealer, to flanker with some ability to play both at once. I consider mastering to be top 1% range, corresponding to over 60% wins solo. The ELC while faster then the Hellcat has similar MM, a worse gun (a little more pen for much worse in everything else) and is one shot by a lot of the tanks it faces.

The expected damage for the ELC is garbage because most people are newer players who scout by suiciding and can't use it properly.

The Hellcat can do that spotting game almost as well, with 50% more DPM, a faster aim time, a full turret and enough HP to take at least 1 hit from all byt 150mm guns.

To really be effective in an ELC, you need to be able to seamlessly transition from active scout, to damage dealer, to flanker with some ability to play both at once. I consider mastering to be top 1% range, corresponding to over 60% wins solo. The ELC while faster then the Hellcat has similar MM, a worse gun (a little more pen for much worse in everything else) and is one shot by a lot of the tanks it faces.

The expected damage for the ELC is garbage because most people are newer players who scout by suiciding and can't use it properly.

The Hellcat can do that spotting game almost as well, with 50% more DPM, a faster aim time, a full turret and enough HP to take at least 1 hit from all byt 150mm guns.

I've created an M18 vision control chart for you, it's next to the ELC chart for reference.

ELC vision chart is here

POTUS4E.png

M18 vision control chart is below for you

njKRGxp.png

Thumbs up for this great guide and tips in comments.

When I started playing, this was my all time favorite vehicle and the first I got 3 skills on. I've continued grinding up, hoping to learn more about the game before getting back to this sweet machine to improve my stats in it and have fun as well. 

However... as of 9.3 patch, this little beast was unfortunately nerfed again and it's said it's not as much powerful now. I would like to know your opinion. Did this nerf bring significant effect on Hellcat playstale or is it possible to work around it? Is it still at least close to what this tank was?

It hurts strafing and any combat under 250-300m. However, if you are doing fire support at range it really does not make a difference. You lost a little DPM and mobility, but you are still easily fast enough to re-position or retreat while maintaining the 243 APCR pen and fast aim time.

I suspect it would equate to a 5-10% loss in DPG and 1-2% WR for a 60% player - a little more for a 65+, a little less for a 55 or lower.

Thanks MaxL great guide. I just started the US td's and have some problems with the Hellcat. Done better with Jackson so far, but my HC commander does not have Sixth yet and Jackson does. Make quite a difference. Plus I probably play HC too aggressive lol. +1

I have a 57% w/r in this with 800+ games played.  This thing just clicks for me, far and away my best w/r over that many battles.

I stopped playing it after the nerf because I read it had been neutered.  I started driving it again this week and found that it still performs very well (for me anyway) so I plan on playing it more.

My question is:  If i have 100% crew camo and I pay for camo, can I remove the camo net for something else?