Scolopax

Questions from a Computer Noob

I will be trying to keep my gaming activity to moderate levels at most, so the GTX 750 Ti is still be preferred option.  

Is there any particular reason for your choice of CPU?  Could there potentially be a cheaper alternative?  Would there be much of a price difference or reason to get a 500GB or so Hard Drive compared to 1TB?(Wondering if 1TB may be excessive) Everything else looks good.

Also, could you kind of explain this whole business of getting Windows by key?  I do not have an account on Reddit either.

Thank you so much for the help.

Is there any particular reason for your choice of CPU?  Could there potentially be a cheaper alternative?  Would there be much of a price difference or reason to get a 500GB or so Hard Drive compared to 1TB?(Wondering if 1TB may be excessive) Everything else looks good.

The price difference between a 500GB and 1TB drive is so small ... like 10 or 15€ , there is absolutly no sense in going 500GB. The WD Blue 1TB that was already linked here is a very solid choice.

Alright, I will probably start ordering parts tomorrow based on Never's list. Here goes nothing.

I will post any further questions concerning assembly if I have them, but I have found someone in town who should be able to help me.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

All my parts shipped and they should all be here in the next 24 hours (except for the case which had some shipping anomaly.)  However, I have gotten hung up on the process of obtaining a key for the operating system.  I would like to use the link Never provided, but I do not have a Reddit account and do not intend to wait 30 days to comment even if I got one.  Could someone lend me some help regarding the matter?  I intend to get two keys.

The price difference between a 500GB and 1TB drive is so small ... like 10 or 15€ , there is absolutly no sense in going 500GB. The WD Blue 1TB that was already linked here is a very solid choice.

Please, not a Blue. Use a Black if you must. We've had horrible luck with Caviar Blues at the office; I've got stacks of dead drives on the shelf here. They almost make the Hitachi DeathStars look good in comparison.

Please, not a Blue. Use a Black if you must. We've had horrible luck with Caviar Blues at the office; I've got stacks of dead drives on the shelf here. They almost make the Hitachi DeathStars look good in comparison.

I m using the 1 platter Blues since more than 10 years - they are pretty good. No sudden deaths or head crashes!, and each one of them lasted at least 5 years.

edit:

Ofc I m also using decent PSUs (the shitty ones like to cause all kinds of trouble) and they are in the air flow of the front fans, so they dont see high temps.

Alright, the case finally arrived last night and I got most of the assembly out of the way.  Most of the it wasn't too hard, but the motherboard is being a bit of a problem piece.  It didn't really fit in the best, but I believe it is sturdy enough to not worry about.  The big issue now is with the wires, specifically the front panel ones.  I can't find where all the small ones (LED and related) connect to on the motherboard and the USB 3.0 cable does not have an appropriate spot to go in either.  The hope was to go and take it to someone today, but I do not know if either of our schedules will work out.  For reference, the board is a MSI H81M-P33.

I did find someone to be the middleman in obtaining the OS.  However, I will not be in town this next week, and will therefore not be able to attend to the computer setup.

Just check in your manual. They are on the bottom of the board.

The H81 chipset only has 2x USB 3.0 ports and they on the back, you cant use your front panel USB 3.0.

Oddly, the board did not come with a manual, just some quick instruction guide.  Referencing an online version did not help.  I was able to get the computer to someone today who is much more skilled with computers, and they will finish wiring everything for me.  He also said he could hook me up with an adapter that will allow the front panel USB cord to go into one of the ports on the motherboard.

Well, the wiring is all done, drivers all installed, and he somehow had a copy of Windows 7 and put that and some other programs on too. Everything seems to be working fine. I'd say then that this thread has fulfilled its purpose.

Once again, thank you all for your help.

Going from the same link Never posted, would there be any reason to not get Windows 7 Home Premium N over Windows 7 Home Premium?  I see that it was marketed to Europe and it doesn't include WMP, but should it work fine if it'll be put on a computer for my Grandmother (who resides in the land of the free and the home of the brave)?

nvm, it has been done

Edited by TheMostComfortableTanker

Bumping this because I have unfortunately encountered a problem.  My computer will occasionally freeze/crash randomly on me (three times in the week.)  I haven't noticed any particular pattern to the freezing, but the effect is the same each time: screen goes grey, locks up, and doesn't respond to anything, resulting in me just holding the front power button to turn off and restart.  The times it has happened while I was gaming, the music in the background still plays fine.  Some digging for a possible diagnosis hasn't yielded anything, but I do not think it is heat-related.  No anomalies in my Event Log either.  It currently is not a major issue, but I would certainly like to fix things before I go off to school.

sounds specifically like the video card is overheating. normally you would see graphics artifacts before that point, but not always. 

whats your full system specs?  (and next time just start a new thread) 

You need an account to PM the guy anyway. Maybe ask a friend to lend you his account.

2cxsso9.png

Wat? Is this even legit? Seems to good to be true....

sorry, i misread the post and thought it was a different poster. 

since your stuff is new, i would start with the basics on a new build.

download some temperature logging software. cpu-z, gpu-z speedfan, etc, most have the ability to log to a file. use that and look for hear problems.

go through the case and see if you accidentally grounded anything.  follow all cables and look for chafing, pull off the back panel and look under the moderboard to make sure any cooling solutions arent touching the motherboard tray.

re-seat everything. verify the seatings are good on the ram and video card. 

check the capacitors for deformation or leaking. 

update the mainboard / video / audio drivers.

if you are using HDMI and HDMI audio, disable the onboard sound card. if you arent using HDMI audio, then disable the HDMI sound card.

check your power do you get dimming lights? do you have a UPS ? is there a lot of stuff on the same circuit?  is it a really old power strip? 

most all countries except the US pay much less for windows because that way microsoft makes some money instead of it being 100% piracy like it was in the windows 98 days when they started the program. 

its only the result of more recent lawsuits that also allow those countries to sell the keys legally to the US, etc. 

If sound keeps playing normally it sounds unlikely to be a full system crash. Sounds like a graphics card problem. I second the suggestion of monitoring temperatures.

Also, I've heard of some AMD cards having a driver problem that causes a gray screen. Did you update your graphics drivers from the AMD website or just windows update?

Legit as in, not a scam and the keys work? Oh yeah, I've bought two in the past and will buy a third soon.

Legit as in, legal? No clue, maybe yes, probably not.