Pompous

Honestly at a loss when it comes to the Panther 2.

Base pen - yes. DPM - nope.

Ah, you're right. Though I would take the Cent over the Panther 2. Atleast it can make better use of its dpm with better pen and that mantlet.

suddenly I'm doing better in this tank than my new Pershing.  Just started following the advice here  :thumbup:

I upload all my replays to VBaddict.  Feel free to look through mine to see if it helps you on some maps.

I am kind of inconsistent with this tank, but holding 66% winrate.  

I either have a 3K wn8 great game, or a 1kWN8 shit game(mainly in 10's, where this thing is nearly useless).

You will see some things that work VERY well for this tank, and other things i have tried that do not.

http://www.vbaddict.net/battlelog-public/euchre-na-779958265247c62f643beb21586c0aeb

Played probably 75 games on it in the last 2 days since ontrack started.  55k xp to go.

I'm also starting to wonder what it takes to mastery this thing.

Luck.

The perfect game where your team is Bad, but not bad enough to get steamrolled.  The other team has to be bad, but only bad enough that you can kill and spot them.

Mastery badges all come down to getting the perfect combination of Map and teams, you however still have to be able to take advantage of that.

Got mine by wrecking a bunch of T9's on Murovanka.  And spotting other stuff.  Want to say it was 4k+ dmg and 3K+ of spotting.  And that being on many higher tiers also helped.

This was the most recent session I had where I somehow won 10/10 games and came out with 3400 WN8.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/grpqdei01o2msyy/P2sessionJul9.rar

A combination of surprisingly alright teams and the mm not throwing me into billions of T10 games helped a lot. 

E: Particularly noteworthy is the Prok game where I only managed 147 wn8 and 2 damage, but got 4k of spotting using the P2's actually very good spotting distance which enabled our team to crush the hill flank. I'm rather proud of that one.

ssPoYEc.jpg

I'm also starting to wonder what it takes to mastery this thing.

First Mastery

I have one more uploaded to http://wotreplays.eu/uploader/TheMarine3_5/id/299941

Both battles were around 1250 base EXP

Unfortunately, quite a few don't. You have "Jesus SPREM" on the Pershing and 416, "meh but still significant upgrade SPREM" on the T69, T-34-2, and T-44, and then there's the "Is this really an upgrade? SPREM" on the Cent I, Indien, Panther 2, and STA-1.

The thing is that Indien at least has depression and Cent at least has glorious aim time.

It took me a game spotting for Jacg's JPE100 to ace the tank. The big takeaway from that game for me was that even without optics, the P2 still has the camo to take on heavies, quite important given how soft it is.

Also, any contact favors you instantly (one of my favorite brawls I had was the Severogorsk game where I rammed a T61 for 600HP

This is terrifyingly true. I was sitting on the south side of the middle hill on Cliff in mine, sniping tanks trying to peek on the 5/6 line ridge... and an enemy E-25 comes flying around the rock at 50kph and just BARELY clips a corner of my Panther II... he takes 350 damage for the kill and I take literally only six in return.

What has worked so far:

• as top tier, it's a solid sidescraper. If you know what you are doing, you can take on heavies that way. For some reason pubbies still shoot my side rather than my turret front. God bless you pubbies!

That must only work on EU. I almost exclusively get shot in the turret on NA server.

Whenever I find myself enjoying the Panther 2, the game throws me into a heavy centric t10 match -.- GG

Whenever I find myself enjoying the Panther 2, the game throws me into a heavy centric t10 match -.- GG

This was my day today. In other news the gun struggles with the front of a Caernarvon. 15k away now, almost through this bloody awful thing.

Over 71 games played solo I got 66% WR and 2000 dpb. I liked it. Might've just performed better than my other t8's due to being the newest one I play but I still feel it was a solid tank.

Buy the Vstab for gods sake. The gun control + pen is what makes the tank. Without vstabs I can't image how it plays. Now it is kind of a tank like the E-50 but lacks the armor and the gun isn't quite as good either. Generally I found the tank to be best played as a mind-range sniper and generally flank. Go hulldown and have the hull so you move the turret left and right and you should be hard to deal with.

But I dunno what to say beyond that, didn't feel like I played it that different than other mediums beyond not scouting as much or using speed as aggressively. But you should be a punishing force with great snap shot ability.

Just had a triple Panther 2 platoon with Onboard and NIghtspear.

Lessons learned:

- 4500 combined HP is a serious advantage for a fight with mediums, 3 Panther 2s were able to effortlessly break through a horde of TX mediums.

- That same 4500HP allows a P2 group to push through and use its HP as a massive battering ram

- 2k DPM per tank is monstrous

I had no trouble with P2 back in the day, but my E-50 seems to be utter shit the last two weeks due to telia bull. When trying to pop and shoot around buildings it hits the side of the building 8 times out of 10, while in the T-54 I have zero trouble with that. Damned Russkimediumbias BS.

Just had a triple Panther 2 platoon with Onboard and NIghtspear.Lessons learned:- 4500 combined HP is a serious advantage for a fight with mediums, 3 Panther 2s were able to effortlessly break through a horde of TX mediums.- That same 4500HP allows a P2 group to push through and use its HP as a massive battering ram- 2k DPM per tank is monstrous

Some caveats though: as soon as you run into something with 200mm of effective armour things get wanky.

The P2 has to be played as a sniper.  I managed a 2385 WN8 in this tank thru 202 battles.  However, my win rate is only 50.5%.  I'm often hanging back pecking away at whatever targets get lit up.  It doesn't have any finishing power so, I'm often high in damage with very few kills (average 1.1 frags per game).  I pretty much quit playing this tank once I unlocked the E-50 but, I've been using it during the On Track Event.  

Actually, I've had some success in this tank when I platoon moving up & spotting for my platoon.  Of course as soon as I fire or get lit...I normally get lit up.  This thing catches fire every match.  

When the on track event ends, the P2 returns to the garage.

As far as the fire goes, just about anything that is over 300 damage will light you up near every time on the lower plate, and most often on the upper plate. A 400 damage shot is damned near a guarantee of a fire. Unless I'm positive we can win, and I can help, I don't even waste a fire extinguisher on the damned junky thing. I literally used triple the number on it that I do on any other 3 tanks, before I decided that I'd only use it if the odds were heavily in my favor. I found that most often it was just an addition to the repair bill on an ugly loss.

I'd like to think that this is literally a trial by fire, to see if you will stick with it long enough to be rewarded by winners at tiers IX and X, with the E 50, and E 50M. Both seem to do well for solid green or better players.