_Goliard

Radeon R7 265 a good low budget GPU?

I've been looking to replace my old Radeon HD 4850 1 GB with something newer as AMD has unfortunately stopped their driver support for my GPU. While the performance I get in WoT and the other games I play is still acceptable, the display drivers have started crashing lately while playing several newer games, and I doubt AMD is planning to do anything about it.

So, I figure pretty much every GPU currently sold will be an upgrade over what I have, which means I'm mostly looking for something that offers a decent FPS per dollar ratio.

I did a bit of reserach around the web and came up with either the R7 265 or R9 270(X?). I'd favour the R7 simply because it's cheaper and I don't really need that much more performance. I'm using an ancient 17 inch monitor, so I won't play at 1080p+ anyway.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

I have the R9 270X, and I'm quite pleased with it. But I don't really know a lot about graphical cards tbh.

r7 265 is pretty much the greatest Price/performance GPU there currently is.

The problem is finding one, although they might be more in stock since I last checked. 

Edit: Get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202096&cm_re=r7_265-_-14-202-096-_-Product

$130 and $100 in free stuff.

In one of my machines I have the R7 260X, which is slighly below 265, it is paired with I5-4570 and WOT runs pretty smooth in 1080p medium/high mixture of settigns.

It's a great card, should run WoT on a mix of max and high, depending on your CPU

How about the GTX 750Ti?

Slightly less performance than the R7 265 (10-15%), but on the other hand only ~60W power draw (~50% of the R7 265). No seperate lead from the PSU needed and in general great overclockers, while staying cold and making "no" noise

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43751kr

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the replies.

How about the GTX 750Ti?

Slightly less performance than the R7 265 (10-15%), but on the other hand only ~60W power draw (~50% of the R7 265). No seperate lead from the PSU needed and in general great overclockers, while staying cold and making "no" noise

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43751kr

That one's interesting as well. It seems the 750 TI is also ~15% cheaper than the 265, and the reduced power draw sounds good too. I assume it would still be a decent upgrade over my 4850?

I'll order my GPU on Monday at the earliest, so keep the suggestions coming :)

i really recommend against the 750 cards. nvidia's gaming cards start at x6x, below that is the cut rate cards intended for moms to buy their whiny brats in the stores. 

low power draw is just another way of saying "not good enough". 

either get a 760, or look at amd cards. 

i really recommend the 750 cards. nvidia's gaming cards start at x6x, below that is the cut rate cards intended for moms to buy their whiny brats in the stores.

low power draw is just another way of saying "not good enough".

either get a 760, or look at amd cards.

he said he just needed any upgrade over his card, and a 750ti would be perfect for that.

FYI, a comparable feature is now available from AMD in the form of Game DVR feature in Raptr.

Tried using Raptr today, could not get over 10 frames on minimum in BF3 with an R9 270. No idea why, might be a bug?

Checked my drivers, they are fine. Guess i can't record because blah :(