cavtrooper5353

121 Tactics and Mods?

I am currently running Rammer/Coated Optics/Vert Stab on mine.  I was also wondering what tactics that others with this particular tank can suggest trying.  Currently I am in the 49% win rate with that tank and want to get that stat better.  I know the tank is good just want to be able to get some suggestions that can help me make my game play with it better.

I am open to suggestions that will help make me a better player and driver of this tank.

Here is a win in my 121:  http://wotreplays.com/site/232029#fisherman_s_bay-cavtrooper5353-121

I will try to get some losses in here too.

I am currently running Rammer/Coated Optics/Vert Stab on mine.  I was also wondering what tactics that others with this particular tank can suggest trying.  Currently I am in the 49% win rate with that tank and want to get that stat better.  I know the tank is good just want to be able to get some suggestions that can help me make my game play with it better.

I am open to suggestions that will help make me a better player and driver of this tank.

Here is a win in my 121:  http://wotreplays.com/site/232029#fisherman_s_bay-cavtrooper5353-121

I will try to get some losses in here too.

Unfortunately, compared to the 62A this tank needs to make some sacrifices when it comes to Mods. It doesn't have nearly the gun handling the 62A does, and so I plan on loading this with Optics, VStab, GLD. Now if you don't find yourself playing the view-range abuse game much, you can switch optics for the Rammer. But seeing as this is more of an alpha machine than a straight DPM machine I'm going to roll it with optics. 

The tactics will be similiar to the 62A though, as they handle and hold approx. the same role. You're a good brawler, excellent flanker medium. Your goal is to alpha the targets over the 62As DPM. With even worse gun depression you'll have issues in any mildly hilly area, but you can do some major work in cities.

Granted I don't have one yet, but after playing my T-54 and looking over the stat differences between the two, this seems like the way to go for me.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond Stealth.  I will try the GLD over the rammer before I take mine back out.  Also I think I understand the what alpha damage means but I will try and find some posts on it so as to better understand what it means and what I need to do to get the best out of my 121 alpha damage wise.

I don't have the 62a but during WoT beta I did have a T-54.  Probably just going to jump the T-43 to get to the T-44 as I like that tank better than the T-43.  I know about the ammo rack problem the T-44 has and so will work to minimize it as best I can.

If anyone else has any thoughts please do post.  I will try them and find which works best for me. Thank you all.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond Stealth.  I will try the GLD over the rammer before I take mine back out.  Also I think I understand the what alpha damage means but I will try and find some posts on it so as to better understand what it means and what I need to do to get the best out of my 121 alpha damage wise.

I don't have the 62a but during WoT beta I did have a T-54.  Probably just going to jump the T-43 to get to the T-44 as I like that tank better than the T-43.  I know about the ammo rack problem the T-44 has and so will work to minimize it as best I can.

If anyone else has any thoughts please do post.  I will try them and find which works best for me. Thank you all.

Alpha is the raw damage you can do in one shot. The 121 has 440 average damage vs the 62As 320. So you've got a slower reload with a bigger boom, vs the rapid scratches of the 62A.

The reasoning behind the GLD/VStab is because of the aimtime/accuracy. This thing has really bad fire control. IIRC it also has worse dispersion than the 62A. So I'd equip it basically the same way I'd equip and IS-4, keep that shit aim time down.

121/62a

Turret Rotation         /1.96/1.31
Suspension Rotation/2.45/1.9
Movement Dispersion/2.75/1.7

The DPM is actually pretty high on the 121. Apprx 8.2s reload for 440 is 3220 (this assumes you have a rammer). Due to the lack of gun depression, bad aim time, and only -okay- accuracy, I find myself using this as a bit more of a brawler. This of course favors DPM. 

The DPM is actually pretty high on the 121. Apprx 8.2s reload for 440 is 3220 (this assumes you have a rammer). Due to the lack of gun depression, bad aim time, and only -okay- accuracy, I find myself using this as a bit more of a brawler. This of course favors DPM. 

And when you play more as a brawler you don't need the optics as much IMO, so I'd drop optics and run VStab/GLD/Rammer.

IIRC the 62 has ~200-300 more DPM than the 121. But with the low DPShot, it relies on it's RPM more than the 121 does.

I see where you are coming from there Stealth and Jacg123.  I have tried brawling with the 121 but of course with the rammer/optics/vert on it.  I tend to sometimes get ripped apart brawling sometimes.  I will try both ways and see which works best for me.

I really do appreciate your help in this.  I will let you know how things go.

Here is my first battle with the combo of gld/vert/optics.  I think it went well garnering me over 3500 dmg done and over 1k dud.

http://wotreplays.com/site/232951#steppes-cavtrooper5353-121

The Next 2 with the previous combo of mods:

http://wotreplays.com/site/233009#murovanka-cavtrooper5353-121

http://wotreplays.com/site/233012#himmelsdorf-cavtrooper5353-121

Don't know what went wrong in the first one.  To me it looks like I guessed right about where most of them were going and got overrun.  If you guys see something I did wrong let me know and I will correct that.  The second one to me looks like I won the sight war there but didn't get a lot of damage done though.

Well I was wondering if I was using the view war right or if there were any corrections that I need to make.  I'm trying to keep back and hit them from range hopefully far enough back most of the time so they can't see where it is coming from.

alright here it goes.

First thing I noticed is your ammo loadout, 8 HE and 0 HEAT? run 2 HE, I'd carry 10-12 HEAT and the rest APCR.

You didn't stop in a good place, you didn't really have bush cover, or any concealment, you were relying on your camo rating/crew training. For standing still if you have a good trained crew you were likely invisible to that leopard one, but if you started moving/shooting there was a good chance for him to light you. You also weren't in a position to take advantage of using optics, there were rocks in your way etc. Just overall not a stellar position.

Your second position was good to take advantage of sideshots on the IS7 and distracting him from other teammates. You bounced 2 shots which you likely would've penned with HEAT. You arn't using view range/camo abuse in this situation, it's too close.

You overextend into the T57 and the Patton. You arn't hulldown to use your trollol turret, and you bounce a round that could've penned easily with HEAT. You now take a good amount of damage and are at half health, and need to retreat back past where the IS7 can hit you. The IS7 now pushes into you after you track the patton, but rushes his shot and misses. You are able to kill the T57, but you're playing out in the open too much with your ass hanging out, IS7 takes advantage of this. You have to burn your repair kit and it puts you into a bad position to attack the pershing, who gets a free hit on you.

Their patton appears to have DCd. That alone might have saved your life, as he could've easily cleaned you up back before you killed the T57. You tunnel vision on the IS7, and don't notice the light behind you at first. Instead of pushing into the IS7, you should've dropped back and hid behind the rocks, taken out the light, and proceeded from there.

You don't really have a lot of chances to abuse view range/camo on this map. You kind of did in the begining, but it was a really bad spot, if their T-44 had peaked over and lit you you would've been in trouble, it was a lot of risk for just 1 shot on the Pershing IIRC.

Also, your consumables. If you're going to run a fire exting, at least get the premium version. 10k credits for instant out fire. I would go ahead and pick up the prem medkit/repair kit too. I don't run fire exting on my T-54, I decided to try and follow kewei and drop the fire exting and pick up Food. It works wonders imo. Only been set on fire 2x in 60+ games. and both were times that I fucked up. If you're careful you won't get too many fires.

Thanks Stealth. I will get the prem items and get the ammo you talk about. I will try the food as well.  That map is not very good for using view range/camo on I know.  I appreciate you hleping here. I love the 121 and really want to get better at employing it.

First thing I noticed is your ammo loadout, 8 HE and 0 HEAT? run 2 HE, I'd carry 10-12 HEAT and the rest APCR.

I am assuming that the HEAT are to be used against tanks with lots of armor or when they are needed and not from the beginning.

Their patton appears to have DCd. That alone might have saved your life, as he could've easily cleaned you up back before you killed the T57. You tunnel vision on the IS7, and don't notice the light behind you at first. Instead of pushing into the IS7, you should've dropped back and hid behind the rocks, taken out the light, and proceeded from there.

Actually he stepped away to take a phone call that he thought was important enough to stop playing at the time I needed that the most.  You are very correct in that I took way too many risks there.  I will work on toning that down as much as possible.

I just got done with this one and I believe I got the idea of view/cammo down somewhat.  I will continue working on this.

http://wotreplays.com/site/234989#redshire-cavtrooper5353-121

I am assuming that the HEAT are to be used against tanks with lots of armor or when they are needed and not from the beginning.

Aye, mostly tier10 heavies/TDs with armor. Like that IS7, you had a bad angled shot on his side which bounced, HEAT could've helped. And your first shot on his front trying to hit the LFP. HEAT could've gone through. It'll take some practice to figure out what your HEAT can and can't pen. For example in my T-54 if I run into an E-75 that i really can't get around, I switch to HEAT and go for the front of the turret. But if I can get around him, I stick with AP and get to his side.

Granted the 121 has good APCR (258 to the 54s 201) so you'll run into needing it less, but it's still good for emergencies.  The HE is used for cap resetting.

eww redshire.

Your deployment is bad. Generally you want to go G5 trees if you have someone spotting the 1 line, or go and spot the 1 line. Make sure to have good SA so you can flex back north as needed.

You are being way too passive. You have shots on no one, you see you have shots on no one, but you continue to camp there. You need to act, go to 1 line, go up by the bat chats, go to the top of the mountain and see if you can get shots down, anything but sit there. It's 4 minutes into the game and all you've done is hit a light tank once.

When the IS7 shows up you switch to HEAT rounds. You should've shot a regular round and had the HEAT round qued up afterwards. You wasted 7 seconds for a round, when you could've at least tried to damage him with one round then loaded the HEAT. You are doing well with vision abuse, you'll constantly keep him lit at 400m, and he won't be able to light you with your camo rating, giving you free reign to shoot him. unfortunately you have no cover to duck behind if you do get spotted, and they are moving up the hillside. You're very exposed.

Apparently you were spotted, do you have sixth sense? I don't recall seeing the lightbulb go off. IS7 gets a free hit on you. You also had your side exposed so he hit your ammo rack, making you burn your repair kit.

I think you're wasting too much time on this 1 IS7 at this point, your team is pushing up the 3/4 line, you have a T10 TD at the top of the mountain, a tier9 TD in town with you, a tier10 and 9 heavy in the small town on the hill, and another T10 TD on the other side of town. That IS7 isn't any kind of danger of taking your cap right now, I would move to re-enforce the push on the 3/4 line.

I'm not sure what you're even doing at this point, you're just pushing the LTs body around.

The IS7 dies thanks mostly to the jage100, as you're pushing up the 6 line you're tunnel visioned onto the IS4 and don't notice the object in the town right next to you until well after where he could've put a round into you.

You are playing way too passively. While this tank and the 62A have the potential to be snipers and abuse camo/view range, you're also a brawling tank. Redshire is a shit map for brawling, but you were still very passive. You're wasting a lot of potential, you weren't maximizing DPM etc. You wasted a lot of time and didn't really do much of anything. You were the epitome of a PUB. You could've DCd at the start of the match and I don't think it would've ended up differently at all. You just weren't effective in any way.

Thanks Stealth I needed to hear that. I can get to aggressive sometimes but then others I'm too passive.  I really need to find that happy medium or be just a little bit over that happy medium.  Not that anyone likes to have their play so well dissected but it's what I need to get better.

I learned in the military the only stupid question is the one not asked and until the last couple of days I had not been asking the question(s) I need to get better.  I will keep working on everything and post more replays as I go along.

You deploy correctly, and then you show good SA when you notice half your team going down to the pond. You then use the draw distance square to your advantage and start shooting across to targets that are all outside of the spotting distance circle. And the T71, which is the only person who could possibly spot you, is both too far away because of your camo, and is in a ditch so has no LOS to you.

After you bounce HEAT off the 54E1 (bad luck bruh) and everyone goes dark, I like how you don't just sit there and camp like the other 4 people already there. You take that time to relocate to where you might be needed. You show good SA when the 704 pops up, although you kind of mess up stopping and have to jerk yourself forward to get a shot, you still made it and hit him. Well done switching back to AP while you were moving too, so you didn't burn a HEAT on something that didn't need it, most of the shots you'd have right now would be side shots. I'd say good on you for this, though some unicums might argue saying keep the HEAT in the chamber. But I don't like burning a gold round if I don't have too :P

Good job not burning your repair kit, and taking your shot on the 704. I would've aimed a little better as you put the round right into the mantlet for a bounce. Your track repair is 11 seconds with the gold repair kit. What are your crew skills?

A bad shot at the 704, should've aimed more towards his back sproket instead of the front, caused you to autobounce his front instead of hitting the side.

You got a lucky hit on the T-54. But IMO you waited to long to repair your tracks, the 54E1 dumped 2-3 rounds of his clip into your side already. As soon as you saw the autoloader pop up and you get tracked, you should've burn the hell out of that repair kit to try and 1. put your armor to the autoloader and 2. try and hump the big rock ahead of you to get out of his LOS. Forcing him to half clip the batchat saves you a lot of health and makes him not as effective as he could be.

unlucky shot on the 54E1 goes right to the gun/mantlet area. mostly RNG there, looks like you were trying to aim for the turret ring. Here was a bad plan, you push yourself into a loaded TD with a light buddy next to him, and another one on the hill above you. Inviting, and taking, a nice hit from that BL10. which thankfully rolled low. The smarter thing to do, IMO, would've backed off and gone around the hill after you go dark. He stays watching for the bat chat and you get a flanking shot on him. instead you take a hit from both lights and the object, and you rush and miss your shot on the 132. Definition of a bad trade right there.

Overall good game, some mild vision mechanics abuse at the start but that was really it for that.

LoL..it's ok. I'm not above watching others whose replays can show me what I need to know Stealth.  If you come up with any in 8.6 I will be sure to watch them.

Here are a couple more where I try to use the view/camo abuse and be more aggresive at the same time.

This first one is in redshire like that earlier one but this time I am in the north:

http://wotreplays.com/site/235094#redshire-cavtrooper5353-121

This next one is on Pearl River from the south:

http://wotreplays.com/site/235080#pearl_river-cavtrooper5353-121

Here are my crew skills at this time:

TC: Sixth Sense 97%

Gunner: Deadeye 97%

Driver: Offroad Driving

Loader: Situational Awareness 97%

I somehow missed your post in this thread, I'll try to watch those tomorrow.

I have a good game to demonstrate vision control for you though!

http://wotreplays.com/site/242468

loss, but lots of examples of invistanking during this. Even the CLAWS were madbruh.

Also that damn bounce on the 113 =\ was a chancy shot but the only one i was going to get on him.

Maybe not a good example of winning, or good team play(I kind of let my 120 platoon mate die, I was really hoping he'd drag them out of the castle so I could assist)

LoL..it's ok. I'm not above watching others whose replays can show me what I need to know Stealth.  If you come up with any in 8.6 I will be sure to watch them.

Here are a couple more where I try to use the view/camo abuse and be more aggresive at the same time.

This first one is in redshire like that earlier one but this time I am in the north:

http://wotreplays.com/site/235094#redshire-cavtrooper5353-121

This next one is on Pearl River from the south:

http://wotreplays.com/site/235080#pearl_river-cavtrooper5353-121

Here are my crew skills at this time:

TC: Sixth Sense 97%

Gunner: Deadeye 97%

Driver: Offroad Driving

Loader: Situational Awareness 97%

Your crew is very ghetto for a tier 10 tank. And I would suggest picking either camo or repairs to focus on first, depending on your play style. If you really want the camo abuse playstyle focus on that. If you find yourself tracked a lot you can run 2x repair kids instead of food.

So your skill lineup would look like this:

Sixth/Camo

Camo/Repair

Camo/Repair

Safe/Camo

Atleast that's how I started my T-54, and I think it works perfectly. I'm delaying getting BiA until I start my 4th skill I think. That lets me keep max camo and most repairs (with food and large repair kid, 2/4 repairs is ~5 seconds for tracks). A purple that has more experience in the 121 could give a little better input here. I could see this tank mostly going repairs and foregoing camo until later on because it's potentially built like more like a brawler.