captainzaku

first looks at the RU251 and LTTB

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/07/10/straight-outta-supertest-ru251-and-lttb/#more-14125

for those who don't feel like clicking the link, stuff in spoilers below.

The German Tier 8 Light Tank RU251 (no textures yet):

The RU251 tier 8 German light tank. Low armor (30mm max), but very good maximum speed (for now 80 km/h) and a 90mm gun firing AP, HEAT and HESH (yep, HESH instead of HE) rounds.

RU-2.jpg

RU-4.jpg

The Russian Tier 7 Light Tank LTTB(no textures yet):

The properties of this vehicle are still unknown.

lttb2.jpg

lttb4.jpg

there are a couple more pics of the tanks in the thread, but I didn't feel like grabbing every single one of them.  Anyway, thoughts? comments? which is better, 13 75 or t71?

The RU251 looks like a Leopard 1 mated with an STA. The LTTB is more of a T-50 and T-34-85 hybrid.

They look a little big to me, though. Not sure how much actual scouting you're going to be doing with something the size of a PTA.

yeah, the german one just looks a bit like a STA-1. thats what I thought of when I looked at it.

second one, as Rexxie said, looks like a T-34-85 got intimate with a T-50

AKA "known" as in the biblical sense??? LOL

The RU251 looks like a Leopard 1 mated with an STA. The LTTB is more of a T-50 and T-34-85 hybrid.

They look a little big to me, though. Not sure how much actual scouting you're going to be doing with something the size of a PTA.

actually LTTB looks more like a 34-85 mated with a chaffee. I mean look at the hull.  Chaffee written all over it.

They're saying 251 will have Pattons' 90 mm M36 gun. So stats should be around: 172/262/45 pen, 240/240/320 damage,  0.38 acc and 2.3s aim time. Not the best gun in the world, but since it's a pretty fast tank there should be no issues with penning sides of heavy tanks. But, look at that armor scheme: it screams OVERMATCH.  :beard:

But it is also very very sexy, I will buy that! Hopefully they will place a link to it from the Awful Panther, I have lots of exp sitting there for this thing. :)

I see a shrunken Leo PITA (cause it's a Pain In The Ass to play with that much aim time) and a T-43 on steroids. The RU251 will be really annoying to play due to how overmatch mechanics work (WZ-132 and AMX 13 90 have autobounce areas even agianst heavy tank guns, the 251 is full of auto-pen to anything 90mm and above since the MAX armor is 30mm--spaced armour causes normalization and therefore the mantlet is also auto-pen, unless someone brings a Hetzer shooting AP derp it WILL have enough pen to cut through). Even PTA/Leo 1 would bounce more.

The LTTB will be at least reasonable, as per Soviet tanks made by a former-USSR gaming company

I see a shrunken Leo PITA (cause it's a Pain In The Ass to play with that much aim time) and a T-43 on steroids. The RU251 will be really annoying to play due to how overmatch mechanics work (WZ-132 and AMX 13 90 have autobounce areas even agianst heavy tank guns, the 251 is full of auto-pen to anything 90mm and above since the MAX armor is 30mm--spaced armour causes normalization and therefore the mantlet is also auto-pen, unless someone brings a Hetzer shooting AP derp it WILL have enough pen to cut through). Even PTA/Leo 1 would bounce more.

The LTTB will be at least reasonable, as per Soviet tanks made by a former-USSR gaming company

Are you complaining on lack of armor on a  light tank that goes 80kmh and packs 90mm.... and claim it, not so subtle, all on russian bias?

For real?

Are you complaining on lack of armor on a  light tank that goes 80kmh and packs 90mm.... and claim it, not so subtle, all on russian bias?

For real?

Note to self: I epic fail expression class.

No, I'm just saying that for a tank that isn't exactly tiny, unless it has godly gun handling it can't fire OTM at full speed with any reliability. This means it either has to be unable to abuse speed while firing, or alternatively be close enough that any opponent not suffering lag spikes or potato syndrome (note that the latter is very common) will auto-pen it when they bother to shoot at it. Granted, the same is basically true of the WZ-132 and it has worse gun depression, but troll-bouncing heavies in that latter tank is occasionally possible (did it twice in my first and to date I think only WZ-132 match last weekend, and they were 120mm+ guns given the battle tier). I'm hoping they are comparable in size, because the WZ does get a 100mm gun with APCR premium ammo... which beats 90mm HEAT any day unless the HEAT has something retarded like 330 pen a la T-54 style.

Of course, given that speed it may well be able to pull off ninja-distraction-troll scouting of magic forests a la ELC style, but the HP pool wouldn't hold up to a TD shot (TD + binocs + camo training + paint spots you first even if you have optics and camo paint/crew) just after an HT shot you (assuming it has less than 13 90's 1100 HP, 400 + 750 = 1150, yeah?)

On the others hand the LTTB looks like it has few selling points over its tier 7 peers besides armour (alpha matched by WZ-131, health is nice tho...), and if I wanted that armour... I'd play a T-43 with much easier matchmaking. Unless it gets a good big boom stick or better mobility than the T-43... I'd like to register my doubts as to how useful it could be. However, I expect it to be at least reasonable since I don't think they're dumb enough to repeat the MT-25 debacle...

Please give me a neg, I deserve it for thinking WG's not quite dumb enough to do something. Thanks.

Anyhow, I'm thinking it probably won't be too grossly underpowered given that gun looks like a D-10T or LB-1, which are adequate for a tier 7 light tank designed to apparently be a scout hunter.

What they told us of the Ru251 sounds potentially OP, but so much will rest on a few key soft stats. 

*gun handling -- if it's a complete turd, it will really have to rely on other soft stats. If it is really good, expect those same soft stats to be trimmed...

*Less hp/ton than passability -- the actual in-game acceleration -- 80kmh is a big number, but not if it doesn't even accelerate as fast as a Leopard

*On-the-move camo, specifically. 

*View range. 400M would be very plain (and 390 outright terrible) and depending on the above 3, it will be interesting/balanced, or possibly just a turd, like the Awfulpanther, a novelty.

410M and depending on the above 3, it can be interesting/balanced, or mildly OP -- way too fast, invisible, with enough firepower. 

What they told us of the Ru251 sounds potentially OP, but so much will rest on a few key soft stats. 

*gun handling -- if it's a complete turd, it will really have to rely on other soft stats. If it is really good, expect those same soft stats to be trimmed...

*Less hp/ton than passability -- the actual in-game acceleration -- 80kmh is a big number, but not if it doesn't even accelerate as fast as a Leopard

*On-the-move camo, specifically. 

*View range. 400M would be very plain (and 390 outright terrible) and depending on the above 3, it will be interesting/balanced, or possibly just a turd, like the Awfulpanther, a novelty.

410M and depending on the above 3, it can be interesting/balanced, or mildly OP -- way too fast, invisible, with enough firepower. 

I doubt its going to be OP, most players will completely fail in light tanks, most players herp derp fail suicide scout their way to progress in light tanks. 

WG specifically did state that the entire light class is going to get more reworks. If you recall the walker bulldog with preliminary stats had 2700 dpm, I have a feeling the DPM on this will be similar or higher.