Private_Miros

M26 Pershing (so super the super needs to not to be spelled out, but merely implied)

Due to lack of one, I decided to make this M26 Pershing appreciation thread.

Once I find more time, unless I can ninja'd by another poster, I will give an overview of the basic information on the tank (stats, pictures, armor lay-out, etc..).

But for know, by all means, appreciate, and give tips on equipment and crew training, as well as its optimal use, in your view.

Personally, the M26 Pershing, even after the appearance of the T69, stays the most complete US medium tank. It beats the Patton in that aspect, since the Patton is a true medium tank. The Pershing, in tier VIII games, is more versatile and can actually act as an emergency heavy and line holder. This thing can take an enormous beating before going down.

The main goal is of course to use terrain to stay out of the enemy firing-line and troll the flanks of the enemy shamelessly abusing gun depression. However, in stark contrast to the T20 and Patton, it can hold its own in direct confrontation too.

The Patton III pre-nerf was pretty similar, being a more versatile but lesser armoured T110E5, while this is in essence a more versatile but lesser armoured T32.

I played like 400+ battles in this tank when i was a noob, so I probably learnt to play it wrong. I cant wrap my head around this vehicle. Its like a little of everything in the most true way possible. I have problems understanding what I should do with it in a given situation, since it is so versatile.

Oh good! This popped up just in time. I had a good run with the T20(56%), and my first run at the Pershing was less than stellar embarrassingly awful.

I've just re-bought it, so any pearls of wisdom y'all wish to dispense will be deeply appreciated.

after over 800 battles in this tank i love it i play it like a heavy  most of the time 

its slow speed makes this tank valuable in open play to most meds so be careful 

but since the 8.6 patch its not so fun to play the armor reduction has really made it suffer 

hopefully this will be rectified soon

I run BIA, repairs, and for my third crew skills it's a mix between off-road driving, situational awareness, and camo. Probably going to retrain the commander to have sixth sense in there. I run optics, rammer, and Vstab.

I pretty much abuse gun depression wherever possible, and it usually dictates what flank I decide to go to. I use it as a support vehicle but don't hesitate to lead a charge if no heavies are present. Basically it's a jack-of-all-trades in terms of mobility, armor, and firepower, but has American gun depression to top it off, which complements the armor. In the optimal hull-down situation, it's a heavy tank with a medium's speed and awesome firepower. There's nothing bad that can be said about this tank, but it's fairly play style dependent. By far my favorite tank.

Fuck I knew it there was some catch to this vehicle. I was shit in super pershing because it is a heavy and my experience with heavies is almost nonexistant. Apparently it is the same deal with this tank fucking WG shenanigans.

Easily fooling because it is pretty damn good on paper.

Thanks guys - the nuggets you left here gave me a 56% w/r in the Pershing yesterday and raised my overall winrate in that tank from <LOL! OH GAWD THAT'S HORRIBLE> to <*snicker* - I wouldn't admit that in public>

By Jove, it begins to click!

Love this tank and 8.6 made it even better.

working on third crew skill. with smooth ride, snap shot and vert stab my aiming circle is small enough to accurately shoot while going full speed. 

The second turret was also a pleasant surprise and feels almost as durable as the T32s.

I'm not sure if i want to move on to the pattons after it.

I wouldn't say the Pershing plays anything like a heavy - medium players should still get something out of it. It only starts getting bouncy when you hulldown, which isn't something specific to the pershing!

The M26 pershing is IMO the best all around tier 8 medium, and my favorite medium in game so far. All you have to do is abuse its gun depression and let that massive mantlet eat shells like carter eats his pills. It has great hull armor and a great slope for a medium. I actually prefer it over the super p hull. I love this tank!!!

I bought the Pershing a couple days ago, and I've been absolutely loving it.

The turret is quite bouncy, it has the speed to get to wherever it needs to be, the gun has pretty nice handling, and gosh those gold rounds pen everything.

3M0o1.png

I could not ask for a better tank - ok maybe it could have better hull armor, or be a little faster. But still, lovin this tank. (tho probably not as much as I love my Conqueror).

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Pershing is my favorite tier 8 medium tank!

Sold my t-20 and ready to buy the Pershing. I have over 200 games in the Sp win rate is 52% but I cant think of any really outstanding games with it.

How different is the true Pershing to play? I had a dedicated crew in the SP , so I will retrain them , I'll be able to start this tank with a 100% crew, 100% BIA and 50% smooth ride  snap shot. I will free xp turrent and top engine, use the T-20'90mm and buy torsion bars till I can xp the tracks. I plan on adding a rammer, GLD and vents once I get the tracks upgraded.

How different will this tank play from the SP?   I do'nt have any other teir 8 meds,just my teir 7's.  Sold the Comet to fund this one. I never caught on to that tank and didn't think I would enjoy what followed. Enjojed the Cromwell but who didn.t, and still liking the KV-13  a lot.

Any suggestions on going from the SP to the Pershing?

The Pershing is faster, more agile and has a much better gun.  It loses out in the troll armor department, but it has a good turret mantle and gun depression which will allow you to get hull down and beat the hell out of people.  I only sold mine to make room for the Patton, but I will buy it back one day as it was one of the first mediums I really had fun playing.

Debating whether I should pick one of these up. It's been seeing a lot more tournament use (particularly by Fulcrum) so I wonder if it'll turn into a FOTM thing - in which case I'll have to get one...

I'll be choosing on my first tier 8 tank soon, and the only two I've unlocked are the Pershing and the Centurion I. Does someone here have experience with both and can give me his opinion on the two?

I'll be choosing on my first tier 8 tank soon, and the only two I've unlocked are the Pershing and the Centurion I. Does someone here have experience with both and can give me his opinion on the two?

I have both. I like the Pershing better.  The Cent is pretty close, it just feels slower. Plus my Pershing has a 3 skill crew and the Cent crew is 96% on their first skill. 

If I had to choose one, even not taking crews into account, I'd choose the M26. 

If you're OK with needing to spam gold ammo relatively often: M26.

If you want the highest base pen amongst tier 8 mediums, and don't like spamming gold often: Centurion I.

As far as play style goes they are nearly identical. 

Also consider which one you have the better crew for, because you're going to need Sixth Sense (mandatory) and repair at the minimum, with camouflage as secondary (after 8.6 these mediums got decent base camo) and BiA as icing on the cake.

My 2 cts;

Pershing hands down.

The only advantage the Centurion has is that it actually has zero need of premium shells.

In my humble opinion the need is pretty low for the Pershing too though, and it beats the Cent. comfortably in all other areas where it matters (to me)

Pershing is still in my garage with a nice perm camo. (a perk for all my keeper-tanks, regardless of actual use btw)

Thanks for the opinions. The Centurion will take the crew from the Cromwell, which has the 1st skill at 100%, but if it's mostly camo (wanted to check how invisible it was, using the same starting points as the T49) while the Pershing will take the T20's crew, sitting at ~95% of the first skill. I'm fine with gold rounds, but I don't usually carry a lot of them since I'm used to tanks with poor penetration. Btw, the Pershing seems to be also a much easier grind.

Pershing is still in my garage with a nice perm camo. (a perk for all my keeper-tanks, regardless of actual use btw)

I do the same think on my keepers.

Im definitley thinking of repurchasing the M26. Sold it in a fit of rage after a 8 game losing streak just a day after I had achieved win/loss parity, thanks WG. Then again the rage sell wasnt in vain as I financed the M48A1 Patton purchase with part proceeds from the Pershing sale, and im having fun with the M48A1.

Need one more large caliber damage tank that wont suck me dry like the T69.

I love my Pershing.  I'd rather play it over the T69.  I might even go so far as to say it's my favorite Tier 8 tank although I did rather enjoy the KT.  I have resigned myself to never earning credits in this thing though.

One of my best (and most expensive) Pershing battles.  Malinovka, 4,929 damage, 1,005 dud, top gun, defender, 72 defense points and 49 cap points.  I think I lost 76k credits after resupply.

I love my Pershing.  I'd rather play it over the T69.  I might even go so far as to say it's my favorite Tier 8 tank although I did rather enjoy the KT.  I have resigned myself to never earning credits in this thing though.

One of my best (and most expensive) Pershing battles.  Malinovka, 4,929 damage, 1,005 dud, top gun, defender, 72 defense points and 49 cap points.  I think I lost 76k credits after resupply.

Granted, this one is not as good as yours, but I did make 54 614 credits profit (I think I shot 5 or so gold rounds though, which I had bought in a sale, but even then I'd made well over 25k.

I admit that I spam entirely too much APCR out of this thing when I might not necessarily need to, but the way I generally play it (peek a boo hull down hill sniper) generally means to me that I can't afford to be not penning shots when the alpha is that small and I'm often switching from target to target quickly as they move into and out of cover.