Intumesce

Theory: Being A Unicum Is Harder Than Ever

89 members have voted

1. 1. Is it harder to be a unicum now than it was a year ago, disregarding WN* ratings?

• Yes, it is, WG is cutting too much slack to bad players and punishing the 1% of the userbase for being good. My Leo 1 is collecting dust atm.
    • No, being a unicum is easier than ever what with all the guides and heavy armor I have. All praise the IS-7!

@luna New meta is fine, but one that takes away what made the old uni's good and makes brawling and peeking around corners the new meta, which pubbies are soo good at is not. 

No matter how WG desperately trying to help pubbies to suck less they will always suck. Spraying a turd with a perfume will make turd temporarly smell less awfuly, but in the end it will again continue to stink once the perfume odour evaporates. Good player will always abuse available mechanics into his favour(me shifting more and more from playing TDs to Heavies and meds) and fuckpubbie will always suck no matter on what map and what tank he is in. If WG only focused more on other game aspects instead of helping morons be less morons this game would still be beautiful. WG forces brawling and choke points. No fucking problem. Let me just take an IS-7/E-100 for a spin. Problem fucking solved. What pisses me off is that WG is forcing us to play the game in a boring way(brawling and peekabooing) instead of playing the game it was meant in the first place(vision, camo games) I'll always beat an a idiot in this game, but FFS WG provide me some fun while i'm doing it.

@luna New meta is fine, but one that takes away what made the old uni's good and makes brawling and peeking around corners the new meta, which pubbies are soo good at is not. 

Well. WG is changing the meta, and no one likes change.

Meds used to be perfect "sit in bush and shoot, then flex to next bush and push/defend cap end game 2 win". It obviously took skill to accomplish all that, but now meds will be required to play aggressively.  

WG could give less of a shit about unica though. If unica find a new secrete cool kids club tank that is REALLY GOOD at one spot on every map, and there was this one map, and you had to be unica to know about it, they wouldn't care. It's when the pubbies start abusing it.

Look at the RMH. It's so blatantly overpowered at the most balanced tier, and to "compensate" " "... " ", wn8 values are REALLY high. Well that just means that they're not a theoretical unicum. They just win a lot. Say they're blue recent but almost 70% because triple RMH plat.

This is where we get into the issue of WR vs Wn8. Winning is important, but what are the antics of damage farming, and maximizing performance at the sake of your team, are you really as good player then?

This is the problem when you have the top 0.01%+ dictate who gets to be in their club based on numbers, everyone wants to be the best in the club, or at least good, and so you go off what you have. When you debate the theoretical, using all theoretical examples it gets messy.

Because of the fact a tank is SO OVERPOWERD, the values are set high for it. Well rightly so, I mean any monkey should be able to left click 4-6 times within 10 seconds with the waffle and boom 3K damage.

but it takes a certain degree of finesse to click like 10 times in the 62A or 140. In fact to be super uni it takes nearly a whole minute of shooting just to put out the damage. But the best know how to play the tank IE hull down. That's when you get into the "padding" argument, and why wn8 has such massive discrepancy's.

THEN, there's the fact that every time the meta shifts, everyone goes to play different tanks, or not at all. That's why not many people like the Chink tanks. The meta has never suited them, IE: mobillity, view range, camo, accuracy, and ability to outplay your enemy, opposed to Armor fuck your enemy. Which is why wn8 values for those tanks are slightly lower.

Believe it or not the meta does effect how EVERYONE plays, and performance of everyone, and at the moment when they're busy fucking it, it is kinda hard to tell what will happen next and what will be needed to be in the "kool kids klub".

Tl;dr WG RATING BEST RATING

IDK, I find brawling fun, maybe it's because tanks brawling are not tanks camping.

I don't think it will affect unica that much though, the top 1% had proven themselves to adapt; you can't turn a purple to blue just by giving him himmelsderp/Karkov all day.

^^

If you need to play tTDs to get in the "kool kids klub" u suck

You basically have no idea what you're talking about. TDs are most hardest class to padd(if kool kids klub implies that) because of high expected dmg while meds are the easiest. Have decent game in Panther your fucking wn8 will go sky high. Have 3k dmg game in TD your wn will take a shit on you. No one here whines how they can't play TDs anymore, but how game meta has changed to worse. I can achieve prpl stets in pretty much any class, but that's not the point if this thread.

The one fix to ALL of the vision problems would have been to increase the loss in camouflage from firing, and nerf the effect multiple bushes have on firing camouflage. If you shoot, you should be visible to anything within 445m. How the heck is someone going to miss a 100mm+ caliber gun going off at that range? Camo will be used for spotting, instead of some tanks being able to hit nearly 20% firing camo and infinitely kite from 400m.

Basically, when you fire your camo goes to 0. More then 15 meters behind a dense (50%) bush, it is something like 10-15, not ~50.

What pisses me off is that WG is forcing us to play the game in a boring way(brawling and peekabooing) instead of playing the game it was meant in the first place(vision, camo games)

But was it really? If anything WG haven't yet decided how it should be played, imo they should strive to make both playstiles useful (if only they started making more decent maps like steppes, instead of designing maps around either view range or brawling).

I was never a fan of view range jousting, which coupled to bad map design too often made matches campy and boring. The shifting meta might interest me in playing again if they don't screw up.

The base issue here is how retarded WG are, how many matches were decided like this "oh look you have the high camo, high mobility tanks we lost", now is oh you have the "high alpha, high armor tanks" we're fucked. But the deeper issue is the retarded spoting system, now you're pretty much fucked if you're in a Leo in every of this brawly maps but, at least after the enemys fire you can plant 1-2 shots, carry potential, of course "plumets". But with the retarded spoting system you had 2 options, be in the right side with the right tank or get inviraped, or camp for long enough so the invi tank get bored and push. Yeah, being able to abuse those spots requires more skill than brawling (in general) but makes the game much more campy and boring (like high cammo, high alpha TDs), so now they rework the maps to avoid that and half the tanks became useless, they need to change the vision system and the would make everything better imho.

But was it really? If anything WG haven't yet decided how it should be played, imo they should strive to make both playstiles useful (if only they started making more decent maps like steppes, instead of designing maps around either view range or brawling).

I was never a fan of view range jousting, which coupled to bad map design too often made matches campy and boring. The shifting meta might interest me in playing again if they don't screw up.

Since they gave us all the mechanics they did, they obviously inteded it to work that way. But since good players(unicas) started abusing it too hard against pubbies, pubbies started whining so WG had to do something to please their typical scrub who pays regularly monthly prem account etc. to keep him in the game. Again, i don't have any problems adjusting my gameplay to all the changes and new meta, it's just that i prefered taking a shit on a pubbie w/o him even seeing me instead of smacking him in the face at close range where he could see who's shooting him. In the first scenario he'll probably scream "noob haxxor cheat kurwa i raport u", in latter scenario he at least won't make 5 forum topics about invisible tanks shooting him and maybe just maybe will realise he's shit at the game and that he should start reading wiki more.

You must really not know how to play a Leopard 1 if you can't play in this current map meta. I mean sure it is favoring heavies, TDs, and arty... But you really need to learn to adapt.

w48Hs6J.png

Today, only played Leopard 1.

21 games or something like that, my daily stats just refreshed so only my session is up. :P

Look, I'm just a bad pubbie that people like to s*** on but.... If the success of a Unicum is knowing how to abuse spotting mechanics (ie a prosedure of actions leading to success, without a reasonable way to counter) and not reading and understanding the flow of battle, and knowing how to adabt and change then 1, it isn't a skill and is a broken mechanic that needs a work around or rework, and 2 and you are not a good player. I'm not a person who complains about the mechanics or even most tanks. But the way you described how unicums go about playing is gross.

Look, I'm just a bad pubbie that people like to s*** on but.... If the success of a Unicum is knowing how to abuse spotting mechanics (ie a prosedure of actions leading to success, without a reasonable way to counter) and not reading and understanding the flow of battle, and knowing how to adabt and change then 1, it isn't a skill and is a broken mechanic that needs a work around or rework, and 2 and you are not a good player. I'm not a person who complains about the mechanics or even most tanks. But the way you described how unicums go about playing is gross.

spotting mechanics is only one of many tools a uni  uses to win games,there so much to learn and know,i know i still got a ton to learn

the prob with reworked maps is theres tanks in the game with using spotting and camo as the main thing they do,lights and light skinned meds are getting alot harder to do well with these changes cause they werent made to go to choke points and brawl

Ok , let me try again. I am looking at this from a game philosophy and design point of veiw. I am not arguing that these changes are good for the game or bad for the game. And I will not claim I know the mechanics as well as I should. But . *abuse* of a mechanic should never make you a good player. It should never make the game easy for anyone. And if abuse of a mechanic is leading the meta. It's bad. This has nothing to do with my skill as a player or what I do or don't know about the mechanics of a single game. This is basic game theory. Further when one of your own players Describes It as abuse, and then defends it . Isn't that rather telling from a design prospective? What's more . If you can

ONLY be this good by doing this it needs a work around. And if a Unicum is only a Unicum becuase They can do nothing else then they probably don't deserve to be a Unicum. In anycasse OP's title. Will it be harder to be a Unicum it' looks probable , for.a time, Will it stay this way? Likely not, the good unicums will adapt And the bad ones will learn a new way to abuse the game.

To the person above me , yes I would agree it is merely one tool the best of the best use. But If its the reason the meta is the way it is then a change isn't nessesarily bad

I weep for the future.

There is no incentive to be good at this game. In the past you got called out for being shit. So at least that was some incentive to not be a complete retard.

Now? You just run to WG and whine and oops them haters are banned. Hey WG he called me bad. I report, I file ticket, I complain. Since I cant play the game worth a damn, i'll spend my time fucking it up for all those no life basement dwellers.

Notice the amazing chat ban purge and forum ban purge that has been going on.

Notice the stupid nerfs and buffs that are going on to both tanks and maps. Some are needed, but most are founded upon delusion of 40% shitlords.

The final coffin in this game will be when they completely destroy prem ammo. Wait for it.  I seriously question anybody above retard IQ who thinks this is a good idea... (the rebalance after credit purchases was opened was needed, obviously).

Basically WG has a policy to cater to the dumbest fucks because they know the dumbest fucks are too dumb to call them out on their incompetence. Unicums are bad. Uniscums are bad. Blunicums are bad. They question. The see flaws. They exploit. They force WG to do something other than collect $ from bads that can't turn a profit in an fcm even.

Which is why updates have always been aimed at the retards. Eye candy vs game mechanic fixes. Who does that please? The retards. They only care about eye candy.

We are now at the point where all this is culminating into something noticeable enough that its hard to deny. Being good tougher than before since you have more factors working against you. Its not a conspiracy either, its just what happens when 1 group is predominantly being appeased at the expense of another.

Pandering to the 90% makes more sense financially than to the the 10% minority.

The 90% say

-camo and vision is too hard for us,

-knowing where to go on the maps is too hard for us,

-we can't afford premium ammo so it's unfair.

What happens?   WG dumbs everything down shortens up ranges of engagement and takes out cover, makes premade cattle chutes for the lemming trains to rush through, and starts nerfing premium ammo.

Simple economics.

Yet these economics are causing a downward trend in the userbase.

Mother Russia is denying its an issue (just like cable companies denied cord cutters) by claiming its a normal trend over the summer. I don't know... might be. But it might be a case of making the game cater to the 90% makes it boring for even the 90%?

Time will tell.

Yet these economics are causing a downward trend in the userbase.

Mother Russia is denying its an issue (just like cable companies denied cord cutters) by claiming its a normal trend over the summer. I don't know... might be. But it might be a case of making the game cater to the 90% makes it boring for even the 90%?

Time will tell.

It happened last year too. no Clue if the user base recovered or not though...

They have competition now too, hence all the "sprucing up the place" with HD maps and models ------> Look! Shiny!

I do agree that skill isn't really skill unless it's focused on trainable mental capability. Skill stemming from knowledge or innate physical ability (eyesight, for example) is not actually skill, at least not as far as games are concerned. Does it really make you better if you've hit the battle button ten thousand more times? Are you better because your genetics? Are you better because you have a thick wallet or are retired/without a job to circumvent that? I'd argue no for all of these.

But on the topic of camo, does it really violate my definition of skill more than any other mechanic in this game? It certainly isn't based on innate physical ability, but knowledge has something to do with it. However, I don't actually think knowledge has enough to do with it that I'd pinpoint it as an exceptionally "unskilled" mechanic. The vision game is about applying basic concepts, not memorizing bush layouts or studying complex mechanics. Understanding and applying a concept is one of the rawest forms of skill.

I certainly agree that understanding game flow and reacting properly to it is also a very raw form of skill, but I think its a little silly to say "Bah, unicums just exploited game mechanics to their advantage!" and dismiss the old meta. I think both labeling it as an exploit and saying it takes no skill to perform are examples of someone being wrong. Especially considering most of the unicums in the old meta are still unicums in the new meta. That tells me that the mental capability that allowed them to "exploit' camo is still the same mental capability that's allowing them to win even in a meta where 2/3 of the maps are fairly separated from that mechanic.

Semi-related to this, I really dislike how WG has been removing smaller frontal weak spots every time they 'fix' or HDfy a model. The fuck is my Matilda IV supposed to do against a SU-100 now that the driver's hatch is basically gone?