Intumesce

Theory: Being A Unicum Is Harder Than Ever

89 members have voted

1. 1. Is it harder to be a unicum now than it was a year ago, disregarding WN* ratings?

• Yes, it is, WG is cutting too much slack to bad players and punishing the 1% of the userbase for being good. My Leo 1 is collecting dust atm.
    • No, being a unicum is easier than ever what with all the guides and heavy armor I have. All praise the IS-7!

Open maps do not get locked down... TDs are NOT arty. View wars are fought by lights and mediums, mediums supplying close support and lights doing the furthest and highest frequency of sweeps.

The Maginot line is useless if you go around it, and people do ALL THE TIME.

Hell, even if a front gets locked down, there's usually a second front, often times a heavy corridor, so how often does it even get locked down?

Cinsidering how medum tanks are the design that eventually evolved to MTB we have today, i expect them to have the highest skill ceiling, becuse they ARE the best design avaliable.

There's a reason heavy tanks fell into obsolescence...

They TRIED to make them equal to mbts mediums, nerfing gold, gimping maps.

Unless they make every map cqb, heavy tanks will always be inherently inferior.

Open maps do not get locked down... TDs are NOT arty. View wars are fought by lights and mediums, mediums supplying close support and lights doing the furthest and highest frequency of sweeps.

Do you not remember the previous versions of Redshire and El Haluf? Komarin? Hell, the first version of Severogorsk.  Large open spaces flanked by hills with brush infested with TDs.  Noone wanted to move out of cover because they'd get rekt the instant they were spotted.  The only time any agressive play was rewarded on those maps was the heavy corridor at A1 on El Haluf that TDs, for the most part, couldn't shoot into.

The Maginot line is useless if you go around it, and people do ALL THE TIME.

Hell, even if a front gets locked down, there's usually a second front, often times a heavy corridor, so how often does it even get locked down?

Well, look at the examples below, but:

- First version of Redshit

- Svergorosk

- Komarin (first and second version, current is better)

- Serene coast before rework

- Swamp before rework

- El halluf

- Airfield

- Erlenberg before rework

- Prokhorovkha

All open trash maps, with massive camp where the only real tactic (to win) was camp...

It was very campy, but WG isn't just dropping 1 nerf on TD's and vision control meds, they've dropped several almost all at once.

Map changes - less bushes more folds in the terrain

Camo rules changed - big time more ... checks TD after foring bonus lost ... gun barrel must be behind bush ... more vision checks

Many TD's getting nerfed ... Hellcat, Borsig, WT IV ... Oops but not the Russians they get buffs

They should spread these changes across several updates and see how everything pans out before they totally neuter these tanks in one massive blow

I haven't been around for very long, when I arrived, a lot of these changes had already been implemented.

BUT, it seemed fine. 

The old Severogorsk for example, it was ok

Even the old Tundra, 3 heavies hug the ridge and push up to the north or vice versa to the south, and they could lock horns and win.

There is a lot I simply can't say about map changes, but I feel these last few are taking it a bit too far, that its past a comfortable point now.

It was very campy, but WG isn't just dropping 1 nerf on TD's and vision control meds, they've dropped several almost all at once.

Camo rules changed - big time more ... checks TD after foring bonus lost ... gun barrel must be behind bush ... more vision checks

Many TD's getting nerfed ... Hellcat, Borsig, WT IV ... Oops but not the Russians they get buffs

They should spread these changes across several updates and see how everything pans out before they totally neuter these tanks in one massive blow

The sky isn't falling.  You are mixing together changes that have been happening for some time (reduction in amount of camo/bushes on maps, range of engagement), changes coming this patch (borsig/wt--, su-122-54 line++), changes from last patch (camo after firing) and the patch before (TD alpha decrease plus tier 10 td nerfs) and changes announced (more vision checks, gun barrel behind bush, hellcat nerfs).  I'm not sure how much more gradual you want it.

As for the buffs/nerfs, the 268 got hit in the tier 10 nerfs along with the other TDs.  The line that is getting buffed (the Su-122-54 line) has generally been considered underwhelming.  The lines/tanks that are getting nerfed (wte line, plus hellcat) are heavily due for a nerf.

Because ALL tier 10 tds needed big fat nerfs since the day they got introduced

when they where put on test server, they where all blatant OP, WG & the forum bads ofc called it ``balanced``, but as usualt both WG and forum are wrong, and all OP td crap got nerfed:

- 263 mega nerf at test server and mega nerf when gold ammo was introduced, 263 was the most OP tank of all time, but WG was ``smart`` and didn release the kraken...

- E4 mega nerf after 1 patch

- foch-155 and 268, big nerf after ages of beiing ``too good``

- overall td nerfs, 

and TDs need more nerfs, when tier 10 meds came tier 9 meds where nerfed, yet tier 9 tds where NOT nerfed...

same for whatever idiotic reason WG gave ALL tds a big camo bonus (8.6 i think), before that rework E3 and E5 had same camo, now E3 has fairly good camo, GG...

what WG now does is a sort of roll-back, since im a nice guy i can give WG some tips:

- undo camo-buff of 8.6

- remove tier 10 TD gold ammo all together

- nerf APCR dmg crossboard ~10%

all of those are easy to implement and it will fix the biggest bs, also replacing WTF E100 will be a must, but im sure you will find out in a year or so...

I agree the tier 10's really need it and am not really bitching about those, but the changes as a whole nerfs-maps-camo doesn't just affect the tier 10s.  TD's like the WT IV, Rhm Borsig (pretty much all glass cannons and most turretlessTDs {except the WTF E100}) will get the shit end of the stick with the map changes shortening up engagement ranges, the loss of the 8.6 camo firing bonus, and the upcoming camo changes alone.  Nerfing their ROF/DPM on top of that is simply too much IMHO, because that's all they have.

Mediums might be more interesting and better for good players, but 90% of the wot players can handle mediums, so this only creates huge unbalance and terrible gameplay (like current tier 10...)

Last time I checked the global vehicle stats for the EU server mediums as a whole were the worst performing vehicle class at tier 10 with only the Batchat having a positive global WR above 50%. It was TDs>heavies>meds with most tier 10 TDs having global win rates around 55%, most heavies slightly above 50%, and all meds with exception of the Batchat were below 50%.

It's only like 5% of the playerbase that can make high tier meds work better than other vehicly classes. The majority sucks so badly in them that only scouts, in which they suck even more, have lower global win rates.

Last time I checked the global vehicle stats for the EU server mediums as a whole were the worst performing vehicle class at tier 10 with only the Batchat having a positive global WR above 50%. It was TDs>heavies>meds with most tier 10 TDs having global win rates around 55%, most heavies slightly above 50%, and all meds with exception of the Batchat were below 50%.

It's only like 5% of the playerbase that can make high tier meds work better than other vehicly classes. The majority sucks so badly in them that only scouts, in which they suck even more, have lower global win rates.

sorry, it was typo, i edited it :P it should ofc be:

Mediums might be more interesting and better for good players, but 90% of the wot players can not handle mediums, so this only creates huge unbalance and terrible gameplay (like current tier 10...)

Since as your numbers show, people rly cant play (tier 10) mediums.....

I don't see what the problem is really with the new map meta. Maps can always be exploited even if they try to nerf the last greatest thing, a new one will always pop up.

You guys act like anything changing with the maps is a bad thing. Mediums still thrive on these maps, it's just more close quarters and based on reactions. Also, having heavies blindly rush across a field and get picked off by TDs they never saw wasn't helping the game and only made the camp ideology more of a valid thing, which honestly not much of the playerbase liked in the first place.

But it's not too big of a problem anyways since I find it really easy to still play even with the current meta, just remember this game is about metal boxes shooting metal boxes...

And Sky cancer.

Do you not remember the previous versions of Redshire and El Haluf? Komarin? Hell, the first version of Severogorsk.  Large open spaces flanked by hills with brush infested with TDs.  Noone wanted to move out of cover because they'd get rekt the instant they were spotted.  The only time any agressive play was rewarded on those maps was the heavy corridor at A1 on El Haluf that TDs, for the most part, couldn't shoot into.

Well, look at the examples below, but:

- First version of Redshit

- Svergorosk

- Komarin (first and second version, current is better)

- Serene coast before rework

- Swamp before rework

- El halluf

- Airfield

- Erlenberg before rework

- Prokhorovkha

All open trash maps, with massive camp where the only real tactic (to win) was camp...

I disagree. All these maps provided great spotting opportunities. If you knew the right bushes and right attack routes almost every camp could be broken.

Most important these maps were intellectually a lot more challenging than the closed brawling alleys that dominate the current map philosophy. I prefer a map where players have to think about multiple fire-lines over this garbage where you just have to keep your gun pointed forward and click. Yes, open maps could get frustrating if your teammates pushed too fast or didn't know the right spots but at least the game still required smart play.

For me, the changes suck. my reaction times are not the best neither is my internet. I don't come from the ego-shooter crowd but rather played strategy games for the most part. I know where to get the maximum out of my tank, I am good at judging a situation and predicting how a battle will evolve. But I am a mediocre shot with average reflexes.

In consequence, I can safely predict that my recent stats will drop if the meta continues to change into the current direction. But I can live with that. What might however get me to stop playing WoT is that recent changes make the game increasingly boring for me. If the game deteriorates into just another dexterity-based shooter, I won't be interested any longer.

I play with XVM "win chance" guess turned on - it isn't super accurate but it is decent enough for a ballpark. I have only played 7 games in the past couple weeks because my wife just had our second daughter, but I'd say it is pretty fucking difficult to solo to above a 50% win rate reliably, unless you are incredibly skilled and in an OP tank. None of the tanks I'm grinding fall into that category unfortunately, and I'm just not that good I guess.

Grinding tier 9s nowadays, played 4 games today. XVM read 67% (AMX 50/120), 46% (IS-8), 42% (T95), 39% (T95). Lost the 67%, won the 39%, improbably. All tier 10 games, and every tier 10 on my team was either black (LOL.. they had to come up with a color WORSE than red for fucks sake) or red. The latter 3 games I was the only player on the team over 50% win rate. Fucking incredible.

So yes, in my opinion anyone who can solo to ~55% is probably has a legitimate claim to "unicum-hood" with the awful population playing this game. The fucking bar is so low it is actually sitting on the ground now.

So yes, in my opinion anyone who can solo to ~55% is probably has a legitimate claim to "unicum-hood" with the awful population playing this game. The fucking bar is so low it is actually sitting on the ground now.

My rule of thumb is that platoons bump you up one color grade.  So if you can solopub and get blue win rates, you are probably as skilled as a purple and so on.  I would take a ~58%er who solos as a top player, even tho 58% in platoons isn't that great.

Only real issue i face playing is the tryhard arties who focuses you only because you are purple on xvm. Nothing more lame then that shit.

Worst example. New EU meta there is 3 arties per side in hightiers, on maps like prohorovka and against arties who use xvm, you end up spending more time trying to dodge arty shells the actually playing the game.

Only real issue i face playing is the tryhard arties who focuses you only because you are purple on xvm. Nothing more lame then that shit.

Worst example. New EU meta there is 3 arties per side in hightiers, on maps like prohorovka and against arties who use xvm, you end up spending more time trying to dodge arty shells the actually playing the game.

Among the reasons I quit heavies 4lyfe, I got real fuckin' tired of trying to chaff 75% of the time I was engaging rather than actually just fighting the enemy, only to lose 1k HP to a luck fucking deck shot.

You know what, I've got a decent question:

How important is being able to drive heavy tanks? Can someone be considered a good pilot despite specializing in flanking and vision control?

I think of heavy tanks and I think ineffective, obsolescent and unsatisfying... is that bad?

I think most legacy unica fall into the flanking/vision "medium-esqe" variety. Now with WG shifting the game towards a straight 3 lane brawl with limited opportunities for flanking and dynamic play it is more important to be able to play a heavy well.

Among the reasons I quit heavies 4lyfe, I got real fuckin' tired of trying to chaff 75% of the time I was engaging rather than actually just fighting the enemy, only to lose 1k HP to a luck fucking deck shot.

You know what, I've got a decent question:

How important is being able to drive heavy tanks? Can someone be considered a good pilot despite specializing in flanking and vision control?

I think of heavy tanks and I think ineffective, obsolescent and unsatisfying... is that bad?

To be honest in the current T10 meta full of camping tds with huge alpha and arties, you are better off playing mediums unless you play IS7 or E100. I dont think the others are really competitive (not saying they are bad, just not as competitive/able to carry games as hard/consistent)

I personally like the "light heavytanks" like Is-8, WZ111 ect. Effective armor (mainly talking about side armor and a strong turret) with a juicy alpha that can punish medium tanks hard combined with ok mobility. I mainly play those tanks like mediums, or at least strive to fight the medium tanks instead of the heavy tanks.

I think it's a good thing rotating between all roles to really understand the game as much as possible

I think it's a good thing rotating between all roles to really understand the game as much as possible

I almost don't get that... I fight heavies enough to know what they're going to do, and I combat them proficiently. 

I know I'm going to miss stuff anyway... but its not like I'd miss brawling;

"Always flank, and when you flank, flank HARD."

I mean, how the fuck am I ever going to enjoy heavy tanks if that is my fucking motto in WOT?

I almost don't get that... I fight heavies enough to know what they're going to do, and I combat them proficiently. 

I know I'm going to miss stuff anyway... but its not like I'd miss brawling;

"Always flank, and when you flank, flank HARD."

I mean, how the fuck am I ever going to enjoy heavy tanks if that is my fucking motto in WOT?

Play is8/wz111  :thumbup: They wont replace the medium playstyle, but having that alpha with that mobility/turret combo is really fun

Play is8/wz111  :thumbup: They wont replace the medium playstyle, but having that alpha with that mobility/turret combo is really fun

*Shrug* WZ-111 was fun on test server... but idk... I still like camo too much.

With the types of changes to map design, for the past few updates, I fear one's success on a given map, will become a matter of whether one is lucky enough to have chosen the tank type for the map randomly chosen.  

In the past, a good player could do well in a light/medium/heavy/TD (even dreaded arty), no matter what map the battle occured in.  Now unless a specific type of tank has the alpha to overcome those less-than-friendly maps, a good player will have less and less of an effect on the game's outcome.  

Taken to it's extreme:  The myth;  "Win Rate Is Luck", may actually become less and less a myth. 

This is beginning to remind me of the Shogun:  Total War series.  Where, after the 2nd game, the entire manner in which combat was computed, turned the game from one of positioning, flanking, terrain usage, manipulation of morale, to one of just pure army selection.   The combat mechanics had specific calculations, which could be learned by anyone interested in getting better, but after the changes, the mechanics were actually hidden, and became more dependent on random animations determining each unit vs. unit outcome.  In the past, one could easily disengage from a unit vs. unit battle to move to a more favorable one in another part of the battlefield.  After the changes, once a unit clashed with another, the units were locked in battle until one unit lost.  It became mostly a matter of picking the latest OP army, putting them into a "blob" and then overloading one side of an enemy flank.  If you chose better units than the enemy, no matter what the enemy did, he would still lose.  In recent years, the game has gotten a bit better, but army selection is still the most important factor in determining success on the battlefield in multiplayer battles.

I hope this doesn't happen with WoT; where selecting the right type of tank, for the right type of map, is more important than almost any other factor, once the battle starts.

When I was still active in eve the corp I was with (Burn Eden) was very big on testing and finding all sorts of mechanics and using them to let us fight horrifically outnumbered. Now, CCP would specifically nerf every single playstyle and method this group came up with, simply because the unwashed masses griped and didn't feel like they should be expected to use fire off a few neurons and think of ways to counter it. 

With WG, the same thing happens with different styles of play and unica. Sometimes (see waffle) these are good in the end, and force the good to adapt and average to fall, That said, this closed lane meta is a step backwards.