I've been grinding a bunch of different tanks lately in the hopes of filling my garage with awesome tier 10 tanks but neglecting my own play. What good is a garage full of tanks if I can't play them well? I remember that I improved quite a bit when I undertook my WZ-132 challenge, so I figured I'd do the same thing at tier 10 with the STB-1.

So without further ado, here's the "Pork Sucks at Solopubbing Tier 10s" challenge. Here's my ground rules:

• Play 200 solopub games in the STB-1.
  • Don't play any other tanks and don't platoon. Purple (WN8 and winrate) or bust.
  • Gather the stats/replays and post them every 25 games.
  • Report any insights I have about solopubbing tier 10s as I go along.
  • Run food but shoot mostly APCR, reserving HEAT for E 100 turret faces and the like.

This is more of a self-improvement challenge than an e-peen waving; I'm bad@STB and want to get gud.

Without further ado, let the suck commence!

Edit: I'm over halfway through with the challenge. I started running the E 50 Ausf. M and FV4202 because the STB was bleeding my credits dry.

Session 1 (games 1-25), 48% winrate and ~2000 WN8:

7jVGHs2.png

Replays here.

Session 2 (games 26-50), 40% winrate and 1633 WN8:

VOJvaEj.png

Replays here.

Session 3 (games 51-72), 50% winrate and 1247 WN8:

xLk6bng.png

Replays here.

Session 4 (games 73-97), 64% winrate and 2111 WN8:

7LROW7k.png

Replays here.

Session 5 (games 98-122), 52% winrate and 1893 WN8:

US1jZAD.png

Replays here.

Session 6 (games 123-144), 47.6% winrate and 2441 WN8:

WKf7nC2.png

Replays here.

Edited by CarbonatedPork

GL. I think I'd tear my own eyes out playing that many games consecutively in the stb1. 

Thanks! It's going to make going back to the Cent 7/1 feel like a dream, I'm sure. I've got to get out of my good dispersion comfort zone!

Good luck man.  Ever since 9.1 I've been struggling hardcore to break 60% solo.  Hopefully you have a better time than I have.

Good luck man.  Ever since 9.1 I've been struggling hardcore to break 60% solo.  Hopefully you have a better time than I have.

Same here. I've had to change my tank choice to those which work better in the new meta/maps. Basically no more paper mediums. 

Bon courage. I hardly ever shoot HEAT in the PTA (if you're shooting anything from the front and aren't/can't shoot weakspots you're probably doing it wrong.

Good luck amigo! Looking forward to results. 

• Don't play any other tanks and don't platoon. Purple (WN8 and winrate) or bust.

FTFY.  Trying to only play the STB 200 games in a row isn't necessary to validate the challenge, and is more likely to cause it to fail (either due to derping because you get tired of the tank or because you decide you have to play another tank).

Other than that, gl

Thanks for all the love, guys! This is definitely going to be difficult given the new meta and given that I've picked a fairly papery tank to do the challenge in, but I'm confident I'll see some improvements over the course of the challenge. Part of it is getting comfortable with a single tank so that I can focus on positioning and winning, even if the tank I picked isn't especially well-suited to the brawly meta nowadays.

Trying to only play the STB 200 games in a row isn't necessary to validate the challenge, and is more likely to cause it to fail (either due to derping because you get tired of the tank or because you decide you have to play another tank).

Part of it is a mindset thing: I want to get away from the "oh, I can just go back to the garage and play another tank if I die" mindset. Every premature death should be punishing enough that I do my best to not yoloderp. It should encourage me to stop playing WoT if I go on tilt, too.

Hmm, I am interested in seeing your results.

This is similar to something I started back when I was a "yellow". If you have the patience, I think this can help you improve.

Hope this hardcore grind will boost your recent to dark purple! Tier meds help that A LOT

I should do this with my 4202 sometime, that would do something, as I'd be relegated to flanking hulldown E-100s. It would be frustrating but interesting, especially with the slow speed.

Good luck, I may do something similar in my LEO or T-62a once I purchase them. Just really want to see how much you can improve in a single tank.

Good luck, pork!

I would say I could help out...

Hey... Does it count if you platoon with ONLY my Chaffee?

Same here. I've had to change my tank choice to those which work better in the new meta/maps. Basically no more paper mediums. 

RIP Leo :'''(

As someone sort of grinding the Type 61 I am interested in your experience; good luck and have fun.

74HDglf.jpg

Yesterday's session was painful. I think I won 4 out of 14 games and averaged like 2k damage.

Some takeaways so far:

• Being on the front line in the STB-1 is retarded until the fronts are established. Taking a hit for no benefit made me useless in the mid-to-late game. Additionally, terrain abuse is much easier to accomplish on the second line. Aggressive play is rewarded much more when you know where the enemy is and can flank safely.
  • Camo and vision are still the name of the game. I was running VStab/GLD/Vents/BIA with around 45% camo averaged across my crew in the hopes of maxing out the aim time. Never again! Ditched BIA for 100% camo across the board and Vents for Optics. Average damage for the two games I ran with the new setup went above 3k and I won both of them. I'll probably keep the new setup for the rest of the challenge.
  • Stay mobile! The enemy could easily make my gun useless if I keep popping up in the same spot. Also: 1-for-1 trades are bad. I did much better if I got a shot in, then relocated. This is partly why I'm not running a rammer on the tank: DPM encourages me to stay in the same spot for the nascent second shot.
  • There's a lot of people that bitch about shitty teams at tier 10. I think I saw that complaint for at least 8 of my 10 losses. Man up and get better instead of complaining, d00dz.
  • There's a lot of people that bitch about shitty teams at tier 10. I think I saw that complaint for at least 8 of my 10 losses. Man up and get better instead of complaining, d00dz.

It's a proven fact that people who complain about MM get worse MM for every time they complain.  How does the armor hold up for you?   I ask because I bounce more shots than I would care to off the STB1.  

Gud luck, lad.

Even though it pains me to see you moved to the enemy (Japan ;) )...

Btw, this kind of mindset helped me understand the 120 and 121 better in the long run. So I think being consequent about your tank choice is a good thing.

How does the armor hold up for you?   I ask because I bounce more shots than I would care to off the STB1.  

Very trollish. Nothing to rely on, but I've gotten some ridiculous bounces off of the turret and UFP due in large part to their ridiculous angles. I'd say that I'm penned more often than not which is why I'm going full-on camo in my setup.

Very trollish. Nothing to rely on, but I've gotten some ridiculous bounces off of the turret and UFP due to large part to their ridiculous angles. I'd say that I'm penned more often than not which is why I'm going full-on camo in my setup.

dwXlLkT.png

Just finished the first 25 battle session! I sorta recovered from my shitty first session with a deep purple session this morning and another tonight. Here's the stats for the session, minus a losing 0-damage battle that disappeared from my vbaddict stats when my internet disconnected:

7jVGHs2.png

Basically, I made a conscious decision to start hanging back during the early part of my matches and wait until mid to late game to get hyperaggressive and flank the enemy. Works wonders, along with my new 100% camo with VStab/GLD/Optics/Food and gunnery skills setup mentioned in an earlier post.

The replays can be downloaded here, if you're particularly masochistic and want to watch me suck@STB. It might be a little early to call it, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of this tank.