Chiroptor

Wat Do When You Hit a Slump?

31 posts in this topic

Some days, not many, thankfully, but some, I just have either a mix of unbelievably ridiculous bad luck or I must just seriously potato hard and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Between getting constant tier 9 mm in a pref 8, then switching to 9 just to get stacked tier 10 mm, getting focused by sky cancer with a hard-on for quick-moving, hard-to-hit mediums, landarty'd, waffle'd, and blapped by multiple 750 alpha TD's, the game is just unplayable for me sometimes. Even at that, I joined a good platoon and as soon as I did, they started losing after their ~80% w/r session. After about 4 games of losing/bad games, I decided to just log off for the night.

I can't differentiate if I truly am just playing really, reallyreally badly, or if any of you guys have days just like this? If you do, do you find that you have to just log off for a while and try again later, or join some super-unicum platoon, or play a specific tank (even if you do keep getting shafted by mm)?

I usually prefer to solopub and I realize that's a big factor, but like I said before, even after joining a decent platoon, I just brought my bad luck with me.

Whenever that happens to me, I like to grab my IS-7 and bully the living sh*t out of anything that happens to be in my way, because I know that they're just going to bounce.

Even in super uni platoons, if I were to start having bad games, I just get off WoT before the anger escalates. Recently I have maxed it out to having 2 bad games in a row. It's better to keep the WoT sessions short and sweet. Really prolongs the life of the keyboard/mouse, and prevent some regrettable incidents.

Even in super uni platoons, if I were to start having bad games, I just get off WoT before the anger escalates. Recently I have maxed it out to having 2 bad games in a row. It's better to keep the WoT sessions short and sweet. Really prolongs the life of the keyboard/mouse, and prevent some regrettable incidents.

I need to do dis. But to expound, continuing will just lead to more frustration, which leads to worse gameplay, which leads to moar frustration, which leads to potato. As Jo said, better to cut yourself off quick. Go and take the night off or play a game you enjoy and don't give a flying fuck about your stats in it (Mine is MWO or BF4).

Tonight I played 6-7 games, won 1, performed like a shitlord in all of them. I became a victim of the gambler's fallacy, thinking after so many terrible games my luck is bound to change soon.

Don't fall for it.

Fuck this game, I was never a chronic drinker until two months ago.

I limit myself to around 3 losses in a row, after that I take a break to do something else. I either play something on steam, go out, or watch some shows or movies. Bad sessions happen to everyone, don't take it too hard. In the end, it is only just a game hue.

I had a day like this a while ago, lost 15 games in a row with an average dmg of 3.5k in the t34. 

I just keept playing and playing saying to my self I am sure to get a win this game, and sure enough the team crumbled.

Id like to say there is some weird MM thing that puts you in these games for the day or two just to lower the w/r down buts its too hard to say, Sometimes I know I play bad and make wrong decisions and this is why I get days like it. But that t34 day stands out for me because I was playing better than I usually play and still couldnt manage to carry 1 single game.

IDK this game is really annoying for shit like this. play well and ya lose, jump in the kv5 yolo across the map and win! hummm

Keep a low to mid tier seal clubbing tank around for when you are having a shit run. Couple of my faves are the T-127 and KV-220. Go smash tomatoes for a while until you feel better.

If I'm potatoing hard on a tank's double, I switch styles of tanks entirely.  So if I just can't seem to get my fucking Sturer's double, I'll go play the 13 90 for a bit and then come back to the Sturer, or go suffer in the A-44 for a match.

And if I'm still potatoing hard even with the new tank, then I switch to one of my alt accounts (getting fucked up first is optional) so I can play4fun and yolo or whatever, or just play a different game entirely.

When you notice you are rattled and keep expecting the shit to continue, stop for the night. If it keeps happening every day and you feel the rattling intensify take a week or so off. RNG is just what it is but getting upset and angry over the stats is very real. Sometimes it just feels like you suddenly don't know the game and anything you do just turns out wrong and all teams are full of shit and every arty shot hits you etc. I can be really hard to stay positive under such conditions so just do your best in not taking it to heart and not pushing it when you feel it arise.

But trust me, everyone has bad days and bad games. One of the biggest comforts of watching large replay packs from some of the best players is seeing just how many horrible games they have too. And being able to differentiate from what is a bad/good move and what was just RNG is one of the more interesting gray areas of the game and isn't easy at all.

I usually drop about four tiers and play my Luchs because win or catastrophically lose I can't feel bad playing that tank. If it's worse than that the only real solution is to just take a break before you end up embarrassing yourself.

You need to reflect on what caused your bad performance. Was it getting into a spot of trouble too early into the game? Trying to brawl in/with the wrong tank? - and not repeat that mistake. 

I go by the four times rule. Four straight losses, solopub or platoon and I quit the game and go do something else. I do not count games in which I do well despite a loss. Those are usually due to shit teams, and I will never beat myself up for their failure.

I had something similar happen to me the past two days.  My win rate tanked to below 40% but my wn8 rate skyrocketed.  In playing all those losses I have played my best games to date.  I'm trying to keep my tank alive and deal damage through all parts of the match.  Even when I played amazing and did 4k of damage in my KV4 we still lost.  I'm really hoping its simply a short bit of bad luck, I don't honestly know what I can do to play better.  Now if I was getting 400 damage a game then thats different : )

Tracer001

Just so you guys know, I don't have any big anger issues or anything (start breaking things etc) but it is frustrating ofc. So a general rule of thumb is 3-5 losses in a row where I just potato = take a break for a bit.

@Monty: Wow, that's a really great read. Thanks for that. It totally is like poker in that fact.

Anyways, thanks to all. Although, I can never seem to do anything like hop in Lultraktor and just seal club because I find myself the one being clubbed most of the time. I am unbelievably bad @ low tiers. I just can't stand playing them while trying to maintain stats. Dunno why, I just can't seem to grasp the meta.

On the bright side, it looks like I'm out of my slump! :D

8ZaWNt5.png

nothing, I just play a 40 game session at 45%, tking fail platoons and pushing out 45% pubbies who won't take a bullet for me.

i might be a little mad right now...

edit: over the past week I've maintained ~65% wins and 2400wn8, took screens of my sessions each day, ~30 games/day. Then there's tonight - 46% wins, 1600 wn8 over 32 games. 

I just play my 7/1 until I chill out and ask two purples to carry my sorry ass while I play support for the mean time. It's a tank that I can play well regardless of what mood I'm in. It's also my starting tank when I get back after a week no WOT to get my feel for the game back.

Chiroptor,

Hop on teamspeak, find a platoonmate, run some silly tanks and have fun.  Take a couple of games and just 'get the fun back'.  3 Green/Blues can have a really fun time at tier 5/6, break the cycle, and then jump back to serious play.

My problem is that I've plateaued (sp?).  I can't seem to break 1900 WN8.  I have a week or two of keeping it up there, then have a day like yesterday.  RIP me.

Last 500 battles have been horrific for me so I see the slump, I'm just not sure what to do about it.

Took a couple weeks "mostly" off and it was even worse when I came back.

Tried platooning with Otis the other night and was so embarrassed by my performance and by how much the MM seems to want to explore my excretory orifice that I had to eventually refuse to platoon any more. At least soloing I don't have to explain my sucking more than once every few games when somebody sends me a PM after a game to remind me that I'm a scrub...

I was actually a solid 53% player for a while and was happy there. WTF has happened to me?

Or is it the game meta/player base changing around me and I just haven't adapted?

It's incredibly frustrating and any tips on how to actually figure out what's different would be helpful.

Tank I was thinking about our games Friday night after you took a break and I think it boils down to a couple things.

1.  High tiers punish you hard when you get out of position.

2.  You have a positioning problem.

Previously I had thought you were too passive, but now it seems like you've gone the other direction.  I think if you took a couple seconds and just think about why you are going to a certain area you might have better success.  The biggest key to my improvement has been to always have a plan when moving to a certain area.  Your knowledge of the game seems good, which means you execute well when you put yourself in a good situation.  You just need to get better at finding those situations.

If you want to link a couple replays I can review them and give some tips.

I'll do that when I get home, and thanks Otis. I definitely have a problem with my mental approach which causes positioning problems.

I've gone from "never get spotted" to "never be behind another tank" apparently. I just keep looking at the team make ups and thinking, "we're either going to win or we're going to lose no matter what I do; maybe if I lead the charge I can make a difference."

Obviously counterproductive, but most of the time that I try to "conserve my HP" I run right into the problem of having conserved them so that 3-5 tanks can shoot me at once before we lose.

I think I might have to start focusing on playing true heavies again. I've been gravitating towards mediums and lights a LOT since I got out of tier 6 and what I've read here (and what I'm seeing in my stats) is that for a low skill player like myself, heavy may be the way to go.

I just feel so restricted in heavies. At least with a light/med I feel like I have some chance to flex/defend/hold if I happen to notice the opportunity to do so on the minimap.

With heavies it's my "job" to get pounded in the face. And that's not a job I particularly like or want to do.

...it's my "job" to get pounded in the face. And that's not a job I particularly like or want to do.

Come now, lets be honest, you know you like it...

I'm just starting back after a couple weeks off due to some IRL issues. I've been hiting the replays, twitch and reviewing wotlabs articles again. I only played like 4 games over the weekend after my review session. I do the same thing when I hit a slump. I stop playing WoT and just start going over my notes and personal replays. Then move on to purple replays and writings.

The break and the refresher is always helpful.