Garbad

The Official Garbad Fan Club Thread

Which moderator's cunt smells the worst?  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Which moderator's cunt smells the worst?

http://www.noobmeter.com/recent/na/mereelskirata/1001806641/1001806641_00034136_20141217_115614/1001806641_00036317_20150428_161615

Mereel might not have 4k recent (its like 3950) but the amount of different tanks he plays to hold it is pretty impressive IMO.

Eh, that's the thing.  I'm not saying everyone in bulba is a shitter.  All are probably at least blues, and some are even supercums.  But all are also retarded number chasers.  And 4k wn8 = stat padder, 95%+ of the time.

but soloing 70% takes herculean effort and is very frustrating.  How much easier and most satisfying to just pad damage?

This is the truth. 100% in control of your personal performance and there's almost always a way to get 4k dpg. Let alone 4k WN8. 80% a best you're in control of winning and the slightest fuck up is GG.

Specific tank padding, unless you find it fun, proves nothing about your ability of play. Only what you value.

I am with you here on the WN8 front Garbad. Carry/win how you want, whore attrition or whore tactical play - just don't be a cunt and focus on WN8.

It's interesting to see how little the game has fundamentally changed, to make almost all of the stuff written in that still applicable now, despite it being years old, even if a few bits haven't aged very well ("use enhanced suspension on lights").

As to wn8, I'm not entirely sure how you can defend it as a metric once you're comparing players of a certain skill level, as all it really does is rate playstyle and tank selection once you're looking at super uni scores, I once thought that assuming equal win rate the higher wn8 player would be better, but all it really means is one of them has a playstyle that focuses on damage more, and often in certain tanks. Using myself as an example, I am an inadvertent padder, as my preference for mediums results in an artificially high wn8, despite me being a blue baddie by NA supercum standards.

Padding WN8 is like going to basketball practice and only practicing half-court shots.  It's entertaining for vets who are already fundamentally sound and find routine practice boring, but it's fucking cancer for newbies who end up a liability in actual competition because they've declined to learn any fundamentals.

But to ask a question (not defend anyone) but most that have a 4k Wn8 also have decent w/rs don’t the two normally coincide?

Padding WN8 is like going to basketball practice and only practicing half-court shots.  It's entertaining for vets who are already fundamentally sound and find routine practice boring, but it's fucking cancer for newbies who end up a liability in actual competition because they've declined to learn any fundamentals.

As a KU fan who routinely watches my team lose in the tournament to hot shooting 3pt guards....sometimes you don't need fundamentals. Just big shots.

But to ask a question (not defend anyone) but most that have a 4k Wn8 also have decent w/rs don’t the two normally coincide?

It's still the matter of focusing on a very small group of tanks.

Garbad can typically pull 65-70% on any tank solo (except the T95 fuck that tank). You won't see many 4k+ recents pull out high win rates on any tank. Only the tanks they can pad in.

Yes.

However saying this its like Deathpig said, If you focus on one thing so much you lack everything else you will win the majority of the time, just because most other players don't even have the fundamentals down.  However there are players that I KNOW are better then me, but if i can force them into an actual brawl I'll beat them more then they will beat me.

What smoke, which mirrors?

The BULBA 420 smoke and the mirrors used to admire 4k recents?

It's interesting to see how little the game has fundamentally changed, to make almost all of the stuff written in that still applicable now, despite it being years old, even if a few bits haven't aged very well ("use enhanced suspension on lights").

Some things are different.  IE, upgraded suspension on lights.  Remember, at that time lights were tier 5 max.  They couldn't use anything else useful (vertical, rammer) so the improved terrain resistance was all they had.  Same with the most important advice I give -- defeat their top tanks.  In those days, it was common for a single top tank to dominate a match.  With +3 MMing and more tanks on top (plus gold spam), this is no longer as important.  Yet it also shows the gap in those who play to do what it takes to win and those who just think about maximizing their own performance.

Garbad can typically pull 65-70% on any tank solo (except the T95 fuck that tank). You won't see many 4k+ recents pull out high win rates on any tank. Only the tanks they can pad in.

4k wn8 in a E50 is exactly the same thing as soloing 65% in a tier 2.  Its stat padding, and a joke, and everyone knows it (outside of bulba).  4k wn8 in a nonpadder tank is quite hard to do.  Its still number chasing though, regardless of skill level.  And winning is what counts.

If wn8 defines you as a great player or not.

WN8 seeks to measure the observable contribution to matches, across an account, and hopefully infers some information about the latent variable "skill". WN8 should not be considered the be-all-end-all of skill evaluation. It is intended to be looked at next to win-rate, battle count, average tier, and will never replace the inspection of the Service Record or platooning with someone or watching their replays. This is because WN8 cannot capture things like timing, target priority, teamwork or decision making abilities

fair enough

Its not really your fault, since virtually everyone has been misusing it since the dawn of time (even though that paragraph was written before WN8 was even released publically!)

WN8 is like on-base + slugging.  It will usually give you a correct order of value.  It is not the last word, particularly when comparing the very elite.

If we all looked at the last 2k battles of the elite tankers, including platoon/not platoon and tanks played, I would expect there would be a consensus as to how to rank the tankers.  However, that would be very slow.  WN8 is pretty good, particularly if combined with average tier.

Its not really your fault, since virtually everyone has been misusing it since the dawn of time (even though that paragraph was written before WN8 was even released publically!)

I wasnt truly under the belief that it was all that. I honestly dont think Ive ever seen a purple player (as long they average tier 7 and higher) that wasnt what I considered good. Some might be more rounded than others (able to do it in a larger variety of tanks) but even stat padding isnt as easy as some make it out to be.

Make no mistake, the padders are still very good players. This is epeen waving about who can say that they're among the best and Garbad is the most vocal person to say that the padders have no place on or around that pedestal.

WN8 is like on-base + slugging.  It will usually give you a correct order of value.  It is not the last word, particularly when comparing the very elite.

If we all looked at the last 2k battles of the elite tankers, including platoon/not platoon and tanks played, I would expect there would be a consensus as to how to rank the tankers.  However, that would be very slow.  WN8 is pretty good, particularly if combined with average tier.

Continuing my basketball analogy, I think it's more accurate to say using WN8 is like comparing basketball players using *only* PPG.

But, honestly, pub matches are practice time.  They serve no actual purpose in the grand scheme of things-- they exist for you to develop skills.  Competitive play is where you decide who the great players are, not which person can best adopt a degenerate (and generally incompatible with competitive play) playstyle in pub matches.  Hence my example about shooting half court shots in practice...

The issue is less that already great players want to push themselves by trying to eke out the highest WN8 possible (or gathering the most MoE, or highest DPG or whatever)... the issue becomes all the wanna-be's that skip learning a broad set of useful things to master pushing up their WN8 so they can puff their chest out while pretending to be good.  Meanwhile, they have no idea how to scout in their mediums, no idea how to push in their heavies, no idea how to take a hit for their buddy, etc.  They become a liability in competitive play, even though their 'stats' would suggest they should be great.

Continuing my basketball analogy, I think it's more accurate to say using WN8 is like comparing basketball players using *only* PPG.

But, honestly, pub matches are practice time.  They serve no actual purpose in the grand scheme of things-- they exist for you to develop skills.  Competitive play is where you decide who the great players are, not which person can best adopt a degenerate (and generally incompatible with competitive play) playstyle in pub matches.  Hence my example about shooting half court shots in practice...

The issue is less that already great players want to push themselves by trying to eke out the highest WN8 possible (or gathering the most MoE, or highest DPG or whatever)... the issue becomes all the wanna-be's that skip learning a broad set of useful things to master pushing up their WN8 so they can puff their chest out while pretending to be good.  Meanwhile, they have no idea how to scout in their mediums, no idea how to push in their heavies, no idea how to take a hit for their buddy, etc.  They become a liability in competitive play, even though their 'stats' would suggest they should be great.

NAH, that is unfair to WN8.  DPG would be closer.  DPG, like PPG, can be generated at a high level WITHOUT high skill, and while failing to provide other benefits to the team.  

I have excellent map awareness and mechanical (driving and aiming) skills, but I have terrible strategy, I usually open with the same initial move on a map every time I get it. And I've platooned my winrate to over 65%. And I'm just a blue who platoons with other blues.

Winrate padding is easy, and I find it amusing to see 4k+ wn8 players who win less than me.

With xTE (xvm's new metric) it's very revealing to click a purple's service record after battle, almost comical even to see someone that padded hard get green numbers across his tanks