Garbad

The Official Garbad Fan Club Thread

Which moderator's cunt smells the worst?  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Which moderator's cunt smells the worst?

Come on man, hoplites being oiled beefcakes in speedos is totally a historically accurate, good idea, and persian Immortals WERE orcs, so that's fine.

Now I'm having flashbacks to other poorly done historical movies. Troy, Alexander, goddammit make it stop.

Troy was so bad, they didn't even come close to getting the story right, 300, don't even know how to convey my disgust in that movie.

Something that changed my view of 300:

- Remember the opening scene, as one eye is telling the story of leonidas and the wolf.  He is sitting around a campfire with spartans who are very young (early 20s, shiny new armor).  Note the background.

- Then he tells the story of the 300.  Note how everything is always past tense.

- And then the story ends right before platea, and they charge.

Its not real clear from this, but if you look at the background what is supposed to be happening is he is sitting around a campfire the night before the battle of platea, telling the young men the story of the 300 to fire them up before battle.  So what we see is the young men imagining it, not it "actually" happening.  This is why the evil chars all look like monsters and the good guys look like gods.

So with that in mind, its internal propaganda.  And it captures not so much the reality of things, but how the spartans felt about it, how it shaped their culture and actions.  In that respect, its very much true and accurate.  Its like reading livy -- not so much a true history, but rather a set of lies agreed upon that made a culture what it was -- a great story that emphasized the morals and actions they valued.

I turned my nose up to the immortals being orcs, hunchbacks, blood splattering, queen gorgo's silliness, and so on.  But it had a lot of good actual quotes, was badass, and showed why it was so culturally significant to the greeks.  So I give it a good score based on that.

Troy was also decent, not great.  Alexander was a failure.  I dunno, most modern movies want to tell our story, not theirs.  They have to put in casual sexs (oh really, you mean pre birth control women in the middle of virginity culture fucked someone they just met?  oh really?), create stronk independent warrior women (who are a disgusting caricature at this point), turn the spartan disciplined formation fighting into one man hero rampages, and so on.  Not all of that is bad, but each step down that path makes the story more generic, more false, and more boring.  Also, HBO needs to take a wank now and then.  I like tits as much as the next man, but seriously, stop showing me tits as the expense of story.  I can always find pron; I can't find a good telling of Scipio.

I would've just liked to see a little more loyalty to the original stories. They competently told Ajax's tale wrong, and as brave as they were it wasn't 300 Spartans who marched off, it was 300 Spartan Knights along with their squires and sergeants. I enjoyed the movies as entertainment, but think if they would've only put a little more effort into them and accuracy, nothing would've been lost and the movies could've been so much better.

I would've just liked to see a little more loyalty to the original stories. They competently told Ajax's tale wrong, and as brave as they were it wasn't 300 Spartans who marched off, it was 300 Spartan Knights along with their squires and sergeants. I enjoyed the movies as entertainment, but think if they would've only put a little more effort into them and accuracy, nothing would've been lost and the movies could've been so much better.

Oh I agree, its all in theme with the idea of making a classic story that has inspired millions for thousands of years "better."  STICK TO THE DAMN STORY NEWFAGS.

P.S.  Just last night I finished gates of fire:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385492510?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Pretty gud fictional but historically accurate account.

You are only allowed to give reputation 1 times per day. You cannot give any more reputation today.

I'll see you tomorrow, shitter.  You're just lucky I used most of my downvotes on solofag.

My Rep on this site is clearly so important. Almost as important as your ability to post :^) 

Have fun Weeb

fuck off furfags

So here's the deals.  I got a bit porky over the last little bit, so my GF is paying me to go to the gym moar better.  I have to go 5x a week 40 minutes a day and if I do I get $100 a week that I can spend on fun things, like internet tank golds.

So I figure its time to do something I've never done.  I need to become Swolebad.

I've been reasonably fit before, but mostly just what I was born with.  I was born naturally athletic and never had to work at it much; I could pass all the strength tests and such my teams have required just naturally.  The moast I've ever done was light lifting 2x a week just to stay lean.  Never to bulk. I don't know shit about lifting. But to be perfectly honest I have naturally broad shoulders and a tight, narrow ass (mmmhhhhmm), so I figure I can look like a greek god with minimal effort while continuing to slam down dr pepper and cheetos and tanking all night every night.

I've got a year, and want to gain about 20-25 lbs of muscle, concentrated in the forearms, shoulders, and dick.

Wat 2 do? 

fuck off furfags

So here's the deals.  I got a bit porky over the last little bit, so my GF is paying me to go to the gym moar better.  I have to go 5x a week 40 minutes a day and if I do I get $100 a week that I can spend on fun things, like internet tank golds.

So I figure its time to do something I've never done.  I need to become Swolebad.

I've been reasonably fit before, but mostly just what I was born with.  I was born naturally athletic and never had to work at it much; I could pass all the strength tests and such my teams have required just naturally.  The moast I've ever done was light lifting 2x a week just to stay lean.  Never to bulk. I don't know shit about lifting. But to be perfectly honest I have naturally broad shoulders and a tight, narrow ass (mmmhhhhmm), so I figure I can look like a greek god with minimal effort while continuing to slam down dr pepper and cheetos and tanking all night every night.

I've got a year, and want to gain about 20-25 lbs of muscle, concentrated in the forearms, shoulders, and dick.

Wat 2 do? 

join a jazzercise class.

fuck off furfags

Wat 2 do? 

Learn to lift properly, doing a basic strength routine (i like Starting Strength) and add in some aux bodybuilding work for the forearms. Maybe some KB work like presses etc, that stuff is fun and works pretty good. 

Knowing our luck, they're giving the Battle of the Ice to fucking Littlefinger and his army of the Vale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lW05E2CBJQ

Edited by SergeantMatt

Garbad, have you ever read Matthew Reilly or Brent Weeks? And if so what were your thoughts/favorite books?

I don't think so.  I don't read a lot of general fantasy, outside of the very best.  But I'll be happy to take recommendations/reviews.  I read very fast and am always looking for new favorites.

I don't think so.  I don't read a lot of general fantasy, outside of the very best.  But I'll be happy to take recommendations/reviews.  I read very fast and am always looking for new favorites.

Temple by Matthew Reilly is one of his best imo and gives you a taste of his writing style. It's also not part of a recurring character series so you don't feel as obligated to keep reading his books if they're not your thing. If however you do find yourself liking his fast pace action style, I'd suggest Ice Station to read after Temple.

Brent Weeks is a little more fantasy'ish, his Night Angel Trilogy is exceptional, I can highly recommend it.

fuck off furfags

Wat 2 do? 

Natural born bodybuilder

vaufKqm.jpg

I personally never liked gyms, too much testosterone and self-absorbed fgts around for my liking (might be right up your alley though :doge: ). If you fancy give TRX a try is really good at building up both power and dexterity. The big plus is unlike traditional gym/lifting you are exercising your core muscles too which is really important so as not to develop all king of issues (back pains, dislocated discs etc).

Oh I agree, its all in theme with the idea of making a classic story that has inspired millions for thousands of years "better."  STICK TO THE DAMN STORY NEWFAGS.

P.S.  Just last night I finished gates of fire:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385492510?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Pretty gud fictional but historically accurate account.

Gates of Fire is pretty good, liked that a lot. I found the "tree fucking" somewhat amusing though. The historical fiction by Conn Iggulden is pretty good too. He did two series, one on Genghis Khan and one on Julius Caesar that were pretty good. 

I am reading Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul at the moment and it isn't bad. Kind of like the Harry Sidebottom stuff. Maybe not quite as good. 

The Conn Iggulden wasn't bad either.

Natural born bodybuilder

vaufKqm.jpg

I personally never liked gyms, too much testosterone and self-absorbed fgts around for my liking (might be right up your alley though :doge: ). If you fancy give TRX a try is really good at building up both power and dexterity. The big plus is unlike traditional gym/lifting you are exercising your core muscles too which is really important so as not to develop all king of issues (back pains, dislocated discs etc).

i think you mean shitty machine lifting which is far from traditional. Trx is a subset of gymnastic movements and thus very very traditional.