Garbad

The Official Garbad Fan Club Thread

Which moderator's cunt smells the worst?  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Which moderator's cunt smells the worst?

On 10/31/2015, 2:48:59, canadiantrex said:

The way you see the average pubbie as being stupid and not deserving of rights is the same way I view greens and teals when I watch them play.

Aww damn, and I thought you liked me!  That does it, I'm totally removing your TS privileges now.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎48‎:‎59‎, canadiantrex said:

The way you see the average pubbie as being stupid and not deserving of rights is the same way I view greens and teals when I watch them play.

Yes, and that's me.  Just because according to win rate and wn8 I am better than about %65 of the server population doesn't mean I don't play poorly and stupidly; it just means I play less poorly and stupidly then most.  I would estimate that my effect on a win chance is about %10, not in total, but from %48.5 to %53 i.e. I effect 5 games in 100.  I actually suspect its probably more, but in both a positive and negative direction because I miss my expected contribution and therefore contribute to a loss. As a guesstimate, I probably increase my teams chances of winning through my play in about 17-20 games out of a 100, and decrease my teams chance of winning in about 10-12 games in about 100.  The other 70 games I probably have little effect on as I am around my expected contribution.

And yes, I think some things you should have to qualify for.  You have to qualify to vote, its the most fundamental right we have.  In fact, the Constitution never actually says you have a "right to vote", it only states that certain things cant be used to take away your vote.  It clearly is limited though, you have to be 18, be registered, be a citizen (only in Federal Elections) etc. There really isn't anything in the law that is unlimited. 

1 minute ago, predavolk said:

Aww damn, and I thought you liked me!  That does it, I'm totally removing your TS privileges now.

That's an empty threat. Nobody knows how to remove my TS privileges.

Seriously, that shit is fucking wack, lol.

Back to Rome 2;

I found that Honga site with all the units and such, thanks.  Its greatly helpful.  This game is great for me, my kids like it so my wife cant bother me about playing it with them.

Never played the vanilla except prologue, started right with that DEI mod.  Like it right off that bat, seems like it slows the pace of play down.  Battle seem better too, but I have a few questions. 

1. It seems like when I have my line extended and attack my troops wont wrap around the edges of a formation with a lesser front, thus gaining a bonus.  Is this intentional to make you attack with 2 separate formations to gain a bonus?
  2. Along with above, its there a certain angle you have to attack from to be considered flanking or is it just an approximation when it comes to if you are considered flanking?  In my limited play its hard to tell.
  3. Do the wardogs have the old ability of being great against cavalry?  In the first game it was good to use them against the horses when another unit tied them up, but haven't got a chance to use them yet to see if it still works.  They still work good when charging into the rear heavy spearmen engaged with your Hastati, though.
  4. Is your general still the pointman in the wedge formation, exposing him to greater risk?  What are the bonuses in wedge formation, I cant seem to find them...
1 hour ago, Smbakeresq said:

And yes, I think some things you should have to qualify for.  You have to qualify to vote, its the most fundamental right we have.  In fact, the Constitution never actually says you have a "right to vote", it only states that certain things cant be used to take away your vote.  It clearly is limited though, you have to be 18, be registered, be a citizen (only in Federal Elections) etc. There really isn't anything in the law that is unlimited. 

The original purpose of the constitution wasn't to grant rights to the people, it was to prevent the government from infringing upon rights. That's why the constitution doesn't explicitly say that people have a "right to vote". That's not its purpose.

23 hours ago, canadiantrex said:

The original purpose of the constitution wasn't to grant rights to the people, it was to prevent the government from infringing upon rights. That's why the constitution doesn't explicitly say that people have a "right to vote". That's not its purpose.

Correct.  The Ninth Amendment specifically states that just because a right is not explicitly enumerated in the Constitution doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The basic assumption in framing the Constitution is that ALL rights and powers are vested in the people. Through the Constitution the People grant very specific and limited powers to the government. This is contrary to all (I believe) other governments up to this time which assumed ALL powers were vested in the rulers who then granted specific powers to the people. An incredible concept if you think about it, and an epic paradigm shift.

Battlefield Brilliance from the Garbeast:

This formation is called the Boar's Tusks.  Its modeled after the tactics used by the Angles clan of Sweden.  Its an infantry heavy tactic that doesn't rely on flanking.  You set up like this:

http://i.imgur.com/p2VnfRR.jpg

Because you have siege, they will be forced to attack you.  Wait until they are near...as they get close, they will break into a charge, and send their cav out on the wings to flank.  At that moment, you charge with your tusks.

http://i.imgur.com/83b9Zd3.jpg

Break off your far end spearman and intercept the cav.  If necessary, detach a petlast to help.  The AI will throw his horses away though, usually, charging right into your spears.  In any event, you don't have to win, you just need to lose slowly enough to let your peeps work.  Their missile troops will fire at yours, hitting you and them.

A common alternative is shown on the left side.  Sometimes they don't hit and try to encircle you, and instead hold a force in reserve.  If they do, wrap around on them and start a melee.  Either way, you will be hit hard in their center, then get mildly enveloped.  This is what you want.

http://i.imgur.com/71BFPzA.jpg

Meanwhile, their center units will be getting murdered by your concentrated fire from mass peltasts.  They have to charge the pelts.  Your final two infantry commit to check them as they do.  Try to stall this until the cav is tied up.

http://i.imgur.com/0wGizVe.jpg

Your peltasts run through the gaps on the side, and turn and start to flank.  All missile troops concentrate on center.  With javs to the back of the head, they will die quickly.

You should quickly eliminate their center melee and horses.  Your melee should be taking casualties, but holding up on.  Commit all center infantry to the flanks to reinforce them.  This plus the pressure of the melee on your infantry should turn your lines inward.

http://i.imgur.com/HCrNG0n.jpg

As the center opens, rush your pelts into the middle as you use your archers to sweep out their missile at range.  They will start trying to kite just as they get volleyed by archers, and often being to rout or at least clear out.  Then turn your pelts to wide open back shots on the hostile infantry, followed by a charge once you are out of ammo.  Their innermost units should rout quickly, and from here its mop up (their missiles and furthest back infantry are usually winning big until now, but at this point you just routed 3/4ths of their army and can move as you wish.

CONCLUSION:

I'm scipio reborn.  This strat doesn't need expensive cav or elite units.  In fact, half of the army can be cheap spearmen and medium quality skirmishers.  Hard hitting infantry helps, particularly germanics or thracian.  But the gist of the strategy is you lure them into a death funnel and then click on them repeatedly.  It works.  The other night I was using a ghetto quality thracian army like this against hard mode AI opponents that outnumbered me 3-4x to 1 and winning easily.

I went to a talk at Daunt Books in Marlyebone High Street on Tuesday, by the Historian Tom Holland. He was very informative, knowledgable and entertaining. I would recommend his books;

http://www.tom-holland.org/

3 minutes ago, arthurwellsley said:

I went to a talk at Daunt Books in Marlyebone High Street on Tuesday, by the Historian Tom Holland. He was very informative, knowledgable and entertaining. I would recommend his books;

http://www.tom-holland.org/

He's my favorite author.  I am waiting on his newest book to arrive right now.  Maybe it will be there tonight!

I took along my copy of "In the Shadow of the Sword", and got him to sign that, and purchased a copy of "Dynasty" at the shop and got him to sign that as well.

He was very very good live.

42 minutes ago, AntonioHandsome said:

rtw2 is meta-meta-meta. 1v1 me in napoleon, you cunt. i'll beat you with squishy portugal, even.

empire was balls.  i only played like an hour before i ditched it

Wasn't a fan of Empire, but I actually liked Napoleon Total War, though that may have just been a byproduct of Napoleon being my favorite historical figure, so leading him to total victory is appealing.

I more or less game up on the Total War series a while ago (Medieval 2 I think).  Unless something dramatic has changed, it's all about finding a hill and flanking.  Those two basic tactics will win you 99% of non-siege games.  And a lot of siege fights too.

2 hours ago, predavolk said:

I more or less game up on the Total War series a while ago (Medieval 2 I think).  Unless something dramatic has changed, it's all about finding a hill and flanking.  Those two basic tactics will win you 99% of non-siege games.  And a lot of siege fights too.

Navy and siege are always bad.  But improved AI in mods makes a big difference.