Smbakeresq

SU-100 tips and advice

Going through this line for the on track, need some advice:

1.  Grind looks pretty easy.  85mm carry over isn't bad, just a few games but averaging about 1400 dmg/gm.  Seems a lot like Jpz4 with a different but relatively same gun.  Is it a waste to free xp things on it?

2.  Suggested equipment.  Not an assault TD without 122 and low HP anyway, so Rammer, Net, and binocs to start to stay hidden.  Are vents worth it for general improvement?  I usually don't both with net/binocs camo, but are they worth it in this case since 2nd in tier base camo value is so good?  With other guns is EGD mandatory?  Is the inherent camo with camo crew so good that net just isn't worth it?

3.  Gun choice, 100 or 122?  Doesn't seem like enough armor or hp to assault td, so for sniping 100 looks better. DPM is about the same, but 100mm has better APCR round and shell velocity.  But the 122 has game changing alpha for a T6.  I don't platoon much, if I did I would run the 122 and run with another 122 to cover reload.    Is this thinking correct?

4.  For gun, what gun prepares you for the next vehicle, I assume the 100mm, correct?

5.  General strategy tips?  Any replay packs out there?

Thanks in advance.

Its an assualt from range TD. You dont sit back and snipe, you move to get the best shots because of its great mobility. You can snipe with 122 when you want to and it has the camo to get in close. You wanna use the tank as support and avoid directly engaging the enemy.

I am also currently playing the SU-100. The most important thing to remember is that you are not suited to lead an attack unless you can kill the enemy with one shot and he is alone. You lack armor and HP to stay on the front line. Get to a good spot and fight from at least medium range. Remember to relocate to get better shots.
Most of my deaths on this machine are the result of me playing to much like an assault gun. Don't.

As for gun I would choose the 122mm. I ran the 85mm for a long time as I like accurate guns, but in the end the 122mm is superior. It has great DPM AND Alpha...
Considering this things ridiculous camo value...   Kepp the camo net.
I don't remember if the view range is good enough or not, but I picked an EGL over Binos. Might be linked to me playing the 122mm though.

- Camp bush

- Camp bush

- Camp bush

Did I already tell you to camp bush?

But yeah, poor joke aside, that's basically how you play this tank. Having a small HP pool and basically no armor means you do not want to get hit or even spotted with this thing. End game when you still have enough HP you can move around somewhat and trade health to get some more damage in. Other than that, camp some bush and then camp some more^^

This review is quiet good:

122mm for sure, big boom stick + it teaches you to play with inaccurate derp guns (SU-152, ISU, 704)

for equipment, i use rammer, vent and GLD, with 122 it can both go assault gun and camp, with 100mm all you can do is snipe (and one-shotting low tier/ low hp stuff is the best way to protect your hp, kiling the other guy > not getting spotted...)

I prefered the 100mm on mine. The 122 is derpy as all fuck, with inferior DPM, APCR and gun handling. It's just not as reliable. Alpha is nice, but eh, 250 alpha isn't peanuts at tier 6.

I prefered the 100mm on mine. The 122 is derpy as all fuck, with inferior DPM, APCR and gun handling. It's just not as reliable. Alpha is nice, but eh, 250 alpha isn't peanuts at tier 6.

122 has better dpm (like 20 or so, but it has better)

You have to take into account the 1st shot as well, and when viewed that way, the 122 does indeed have higher DPM

Fair point. I might try the 122 again, when I get enough gold to retrain a crew for the tank.

Well, have to grind some and then try both guns.  Need to get crew up there anyways, just on first skill, camo of course. 

The grind is ok with the 85?  Seems like it is because camo with net and paint is pretty good, as crew gets better it profiles as slipping into the broken point.  Have shot out in open at about 375m and not been spotted already

Well, have to grind some and then try both guns.  Need to get crew up there anyways, just on first skill, camo of course. 

The grind is ok with the 85?  Seems like it is because camo with net and paint is pretty good, as crew gets better it profiles as slipping into the broken point.  Have shot out in open at about 375m and not been spotted already

With 85mm its just a Jp-4 with better mobility but less turning speed

Tried the 100mm yesterday, Holy Christ a total Russian gun. The 85mm was accurate consistently. The 100 mm can pull off the Russian-vodka-no-aim shot and then aim in from 100m and land 25m short.

I have used 0.4 accuracy guns before, but the 100 seems like it is 0.2 sometimes and the 1.0 sometimes.

Basically what Gehakte wrote.

Trying to snipe in a low view range, inaccurate russian TD, without 6th sense, has become much more difficult nowadays.

What is left then is to stay in second line, get in some shots from mid range due to inaccurate gun, hide in hard cover or relocate in between shots.

As such, you need rammer, vent and GLD. Sure you can put a camo net and binocs on this kind of russian TDs with good camo, but unless you know the maps very well, most tanks you spot will also see you when you take your shot...

Without some reliable platoon mate(s) helping to spot targets in front of you, and helping to keep you unspotted, I would not go to camp in bushes if I were you.

The days that this worked on a regular basis are gone.

Hell, I can't even make it work reliably anymore solo in the Nashorn, which has better view range and a much more accurate gun.....

Also:

Its an assualt from range TD. You dont sit back and snipe, you move to get the best shots because of its great mobility. You can snipe with 122 when you want to and it has the camo to get in close. You wanna use the tank as support and avoid directly engaging the enemy.

Yes, but no, but yes, but no?

You seem to be going for the world record for most contradictions in 4 sentences...

Tito

I got the 100mm yesterday, it's pretty decent.  Much more workable than the piss-poor stock 85.

i've yet to try the 122mm since I don't have it unlocked but given that I suddenly like the Sturer Emil a lot more once I got used to the 128mm... i'll probably end up sticking with the 122.

Personally I prefer the 100 mm

The the better aim time, accuracy, ROF and improved abilty to hit moving targets helps a ton ... the 122 mm with its good alpha will back people up, but it was too derpy for my taste

With the 100 mm I'd go Rammer/Net/Binocs

With the 122 mm I'd go Rammer/EGLD/Binocs

iirc I run the oil that gives you +5% HP in lieu of manual Fire extingiusher

I picked this up for the on track. I free xp'd the 100mm, so I didn't pay it with the 85mm, but it seems like that would be pretty terrible.

The 100mm seems pretty adequate, but I think I'm about 3k xp away from the 122 and I will probably use that instead.

Play style wise.. If I'm top tier and city map I kind of Yolo around. You can bait bounces if you anticipate shots and almost over angle and get people shoot your front.

On an open map I pretty much kemp bush and hope my teammates can get spots/derp into the other team and shoot things.

It's not a bad td, but I would rather play the hellcat all day. I was able to pick up my first pools medal today in it.

wotreplays.com/site/1039499#self

The 100mm is fine, but the 122 is the deal.  The 122 alpha is overwhelming at its tier, and its Russian, you can just shoot and count on  Serbie to steer the shot right into the target from miles away.  Every now and then you shoot the dirt from 50m, but then more often you hit that hull down turret cheek from 350m.

The SU-100 is basically the SU-122-44 at tier 6, in terms of the mix of armour/camo/speed/agility. The boomstick is the biggest difference. You can have the same alpha but...dat DPM.

I used most of the time 100 mm and it was fine. Later I tried 122 and it made this TD awesome. Hits for 390 alpha are devastating and you can peek a boo and trade shots more effectively. Sniping is not very good with both guns, but is possible. If you want to snipe from a distance, 100 mm is probably slightly better, but I'd pick 122 anyway.