CraBeatOff

Wake of the Flood: Crab's replays

4 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Anyone interested in some VK2801? I just bought one, to try to gauge exactly how much better than Tazilon I am :-D

Id like that!

Ok all my VK2801 replays aged out. But here is a WZ-111 replay pack today. My 3 mark session. Many games. Much profanity. Only 1 arty one shot! I am not great, I fire a ton of HEAT. This tank is nicely buffed though, as you'll hopefully see. 

https://www.mediafire.com/?khz9q3758xj16t3

Yeah, I really hate that the update came out just as you were ready to release the VK2801 pack.  If you play it more, I hope you'll put a pack together for it.  

Thanks for these.  

12 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Ok all my VK2801 replays aged out. But here is a WZ-111 replay pack today. My 3 mark session. Many games. Much profanity. Only 1 arty one shot! I am not great, I fire a ton of HEAT. This tank is nicely buffed though, as you'll hopefully see. 

https://www.mediafire.com/?khz9q3758xj16t3

Session stats :) 

LlDMxmj.png

I've been enjoying your replays. I'm kind of downsy so I don't know if my play will improve. The good news for me is that arty doesn't focus on me nearly as much. Would you explain when you'd use HEAT over the HE. 

1 hour ago, Hellsfog said:

I've been enjoying your replays. I'm kind of downsy so I don't know if my play will improve. The good news for me is that arty doesn't focus on me nearly as much. Would you explain when you'd use HEAT over the HE. 

Glad you're enjoying the games. Arty and XVM are dumb and should be removed but when I press Battle! I know what I'm risking. 

HE and HEAT just requires knowing what the tank you're going to shoot next has for armor and what will do more damage. In order you have HE non pen < HEAT pen < HE pen for damage. So your most lightly and heavily armored opponents get HE and then there is a small window in between where HEAT is optimal.

So in the VK if you're facing paper tanks CDC, tier V mediums,  other LTs, you load HE. And if you've got no chance to pen with 100mm penetration then you also use HE - IS-3, King Tiger, fronts of most mediums 6+, etc.

The key then is to learn all the surfaces at 53mm and 104mm that you can get full penetrating shots on. It's just spending some time on tanks.gg or with tank inspector to learn layout details.  Generally you need to learn what to switch to HEAT for when you get juicy butts and sides,  because otherwise you stay with HE. So like the rears of most Germans are 60-80mm. You can't HE pen reliably, but if you flank a Tiger or KT then swapping to HEAT can  crush them with  350 damage pens,  instead of 120 damage splashes. 

Somewhere in that replay pack you'll see me flank and AT-15 or similar and swap to HEAT to pen his engine deck.  Ditto for a juicy T95 flank. 

You're always safe shooting HE, but you're leaving wins and damage on the table if you never use HEAT. Learn the armor, get full pens (with both types ) and lol your face off. 

I have it unlocked and I'm fairly familiar with light tank playstyle but the t49 is a whole different beast.

@Perenthis PMed me asking about how to play the T49. The quote above being from him. And a whole other beast it is. I played a few games 2 days ago with him in mind, where I was trying to play optimally as possible (as opposed to zooming around for the lulz, although sometimes those two things overlap). The T49 is sometimes a LT, but always an ambusher. You want to use the things you have 1. Speed 2. Depression 3. Camo 4. Alpha! to make up for your horrifically long aim time. And you only really have Alpha! if you hit the right targets in the right places. The right targets are the ones who aren't looking at you. This is either because they're distracted, or because they can't see you, or because they don't expect you. The right places are the places where you pen if possible, or else splash for 400+. 

With that in mind, here is a Karelia battle. http://wotreplays.com/site/3207122#karelia-crabeatoff-t49
For my opening move you'll see that I rush to the south...but do not go on the hill. This is typical of T49 play. I simply can't contest the hill against 2 platooned Bat25tAPs. They will eat me alive. So I set up to ruin their approach, right at the edge of vision/camo. I have enough view range to maybe spot them, or not, but I have another LT on the hill. And the heavies will roll to the corner to spot for me also (with me still providing some value by giving preliminary spots). Even if nothing light rushes up to get smacked, I can lob a HT for 300-400 and possibly do it a few times if they stay exposed. You'll see that this choice of engagement checks all the boxes- speed, depression, camo, alpha against stuff that won't be looking at me (because they can't see me). I also use that little hill I'm on to help accelerate away after the shot. When engaging heavies in a protracted battle I'd probably back up, and then drive away forward after firing.

BUT the Bat APs don't go hill. So much for that idea. So you'll see I zoom off the hill. I note they really don't have many heavies on their team, and that the T32 is in the swamp. This makes me think there isn't much on the corner, and so I zoom zoom forward and try to spot the TD ledge, successfully and displace the ISU without even being spotted. Then I creep hill thinking I might get a T32 engine deck shot, which would be fabulous. Dangerous though with TD overwatch, so they are my first concern and I see a frisky T28p. He makes a predictable peek, I aim carefully for the 50mm side armor and he is deleted for 630. Next shot is an easy lob at the Type 64. Fails to pen because of range and the T32 in swamp dies. 

At this point I analyze the map and decide that with only the St. Emil in potential overwatch (and a T-34-3 and T71 in support) and most of their team pretty far on the other side, but overloaded, I need to perform a key LT function, which is acting as a force multiplier to break a flank. LTs are good at helping break up engagements that are going too slow, like the one you see in this replay at 12:22 or so. We have an E-75, T30, Lowe, and T32 being held up by an IS-3, T29 and AT-15. Its an overmatch, but all those tanks can be a pain to eliminate. We have some forces in the west, but Rhm, 50 120 and Skorp G aren't exactly the best hold tanks vs ~7 enemies, which includes 3 top tier autoloaders. So I decide I need to take risks, get off the hill, and farm some butts. I see that the T29 is the furthest back, so I keep my HE reload going. 812 roll on the T29 is disappointing, but it turns him, turning our 4v3 into a 4v2 (Lanchester's Sq Law!) and with the T29 being very weak. He turns, so I back off, which proves to be an immediate mistake. One of the Bats is reloaded and flinging shells at me. I should have at that point gone forward around the corner, working to out maneuver the T29 and using the AT-15 as cover, but I am not Straik quality player :-(

You'll see though that our team immediately capitalizes on the T29 being weak, kills him, I realize my mistake and go forward. I had already begun reloading HEAT in anticipation of the AT-15 or IS-3 both of which need HEAT for asspens. I also know the Bat prob can't spot me on his own (you'll see from the map he is over 400m away) so I'll go dark in 3-4 shots, which I do. I move up and dunk the AT-15 for a respectable 682 HEAT pen, during which time our team realizes their advantage, and just crushes the IS-3 and finishes the very low hp AT-15. So in 3 shots, I basically deleted a strong 7, deleted a strong 8 and weakened another well armored 8 to near uselessness. None of whom were looking at me, and none of whom could do much about it. This is where the T49 shines. I more or less play the rest of the match poorly, I should have hung back, realizing how badly that Bat25AP platoon wanted me. I also failed to pen the 1 Bat, which was disappointing, should have aimed longer, but whatever.  In the T49, you just use the things above to make the game happen for you or your team.

Here is another http://wotreplays.com/site/3207189#airfield-crabeatoff-t49

Homework assignment for anyone who wants, but especially Perenthis: Which shots/engagements use which of the T49's advantages. How do I avoid its weaknesses? Where do I go relative to the map flow and why? What detailed armor knowledge do I make use of? When do I choose to scout and when I do chose to be a damage farming whore?

3 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Here is another http://wotreplays.com/site/3207189#airfield-crabeatoff-t49

Homework assignment for anyone who wants, but especially Perenthis: Which shots/engagements use which of the T49's advantages. How do I avoid its weaknesses? Where do I go relative to the map flow and why? What detailed armor knowledge do I make use of? When do I choose to scout and when I do chose to be a damage farming whore?

@CraBeatOff

Thanks again for doing this very appreciated.

So for this replay you roll out to the usual E5 spot, using your speed to get there before their meds/lights  so you can bomb them while they cross... In this case the skoda t50 but he stop midway(and the amx30 kinda fucked it up for you). Them you saw the 112 pushing up and showing his side so you tried to get a good shot on him (this time the amx30 did fuck it up for you). It's unfortunate you could of had 1 maybe two good shots on the tiger but the amx was being a dick and you had the rush the shot. All the heavies being dead but the IS-2 (who was sniping in the back for some reason), you were free to push the choke while the vk and t54 were distracted in the middle to finish off the ravioli. After that you moved back to the E5 spot because the t54 was in the open so you I believe tried to get a top of the hull/engine deck shot as you were above him and had no chance of penning his turret or front hull (even with heat, correct me if im wrong). [T-55 being a dick] you come back around and see the ferd spotted in the back you use your camo to aim a shot because he cant spot you from that distance  but as you're aiming down the t-54 shows up. Being only had ~200hp and only seeing his turret you shot at the cheek hoping that it would be enough but no damage :( 

You move up to mid because everything else is spotted up north except the skorp and the 8.8 who's camping base. Again the jgtg8.8 can't spot you so you move up and finish up the vk2801. You then moved on to try and spot/kill the jagtiger 8.8 while loading heat because his rear and his sides are > 80mm so you had no chance to pen with reg HE rounds. So you roll back towards the north from their spawn and you see the IS-2 in the open. Having HEAT loaded it's easy pen and you bomb him for 700dmg. That damage on the Skorpion G. Juicy. Then again you loaded HEAT for that 8.8 and bombed him for 650.

Overall :

Most of the early-mid game was damage  farming until the end where you went on a scout run and finished up people.

Early game: You used your speed to get into a position to bomb their fast tanks 

Early-mid game: You used your camo to aim shots at people that didn't expect you/couldn't spot you

mid-game: You moved around and finished off people that didn't expect you. Using your speed and camo to move in and out of the fight between reloads

end-game: used your speed/camo to scout the remaining tanks and kill them off.

My analysis is far from perfect because I don't have as much experience in this game as most people on this board (I'm at roughly 8-8.5k battles) so feel free to correct me or to add in to things I might have missed. 

@Perenthis you've got it.  It's basically about refusing to play their game and sticking exclusively to your own.  That replay was a little weird because of the platoon of tier 9 who felt they owned all the terrain,  but overall it worked out ok.  The only thing you missed was that I waited for that IS-2 to give me a flat ass shot,  since his sides are a dicey pen with HEAT and bad accuracy. 

Mid game I'd characterize it as opportunism rather than damage farming, but partially that's because Airfield is a super stagnant boring map that doesn't really allow for many dynamic plays until it opens up late. The T49 is a powerful game closer with all its advantages. 

I've got a big T49 replay pack to post and will pull out a few games to discuss as well. I think I am almost qualified to write a guide/article on my waifu. Marks floated over 95% again today!  Been experimenting with optics over vents (maintaining vstab and gld ) - 496 view range plus 32% camo isn't a bad combo!  Camo might not be wholly dead? 

Since it appears people actually do watch these replay packs, I will try to keep remembers to organize and upload them. 

Here is what amounts to a 3 mark session for the T49 using the 152mm. Many moons ago, I 3 marked my own T49 using the 90mm, frustrated that I could not manage to be consistent enough using the 152mm. However I've since 3 marked it on another account using the 152mm, and floated my own T49 above the 95% threshold more than a couple of times. But now I have documentation of what the kind of game-play looks like! I'll pull out a few memorable and interesting ones as I find the time this week, but for anyone who wants to get a jump-start on watching the GREATEST TANK IN THE GAME*, here you go

https://www.mediafire.com/?797d15putj5p5yy

*as measured by lulz per shell penetrated

Neither of these replays are lessons or really informative, its just me playing4fun and good results. 

See TazBeatOff dunk bitches with HE/HEAT. See how bad the UDES03 is at killing LTs, and how lucky I am (dat 416 pen, decked!, the UDES and ISU missing shots at the end). 

http://wotreplays.com/site/3248587#malinovka-crabeatoff-vk_28_01

Immediate next game, I farm all them bitches again. Doing as @dualmaster333 suggests and doing more anti-LT work before getting to the spotting and flanking roles. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/3248589#karelia-crabeatoff-vk_28_01

Here's what I've been playing this week, what do you want to see?

• WZ-120
  • AMX ELC
  • WZ-111 1-4
  • Tier 8 LT doubles to pre-grind XP for Tier 10 LTs
  • Assorted IS-4/7
  • T34 credit and marks grind
  • M41 90 to grind VK2801 crew
  • and of course VK2801 spam

We have to choose?!

Well, since you've offered recent VK replays, my preferences, in order, would be:

ELC

T8 LT

IS-4/7 WZ-111 1-4 (just curious to watch your decision making in these heavies)

M41 90

2 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Here's what I've been playing this week, what do you want to see?

• WZ-120
  • AMX ELC
  • WZ-111 1-4
  • Tier 8 LT doubles to pre-grind XP for Tier 10 LTs
  • Assorted IS-4/7
  • T34 credit and marks grind
  • M41 90 to grind VK2801 crew
  • and of course VK2801 spam

Could be interesting to see how you make thatVK2801 work.

How the time flies. Since we're about to get patched, I should share these replay packs NOW! 

Lots of LT play in here recently, and LTs are great, but HTs are the best tanks. Here are the 3 mark sessions for the Conqueror and T29, two of the loveliest hull-down tanks in the game. Both sessions are from 90 or 91 to 95%. 20 in the Conqueror (prob because of the 1500 pen from the M53/55 on El Halluf) and 15 for the T29. Strong tenks!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/737pvzp9ek8kex9/Conqueror_marks.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8zbvltiwyclk3np/T29_marks.zip

My man!

I have been thinking I need to watch someone play the T29.  My use of this tank is inconsistent.  And I just started the Caernarvon, and so need a reason to keep at it!