ThePowerOfLove

Can you languages?

So, can you?

Native English speaker here, can understand Mandarin for the most part but my speech and writing are awful. Learning glorious Nippon weeaboo language now. A lot of slang over here has roots in Malay or Chinese dialects, so I know a few words from those. Considering trying German or French for the next university semester.

I've always been really impressed by people who don't have English as their native language and master it anyway. Being fluent in more than one language sounds awesome.

I can read german fairly well but I can't speak or write.  It actually follows the rules which messes me up since I'm used to all the exceptions 

I am German, understand Polish nearly perfectly well as my family is from Poland and speaks Polish all day, but I have never learned how to speak, because I'm lazy as fuck, replying in German, know Spanish basics from school and am mistaken for a native English speaker all the time.

:thumbup:

Every Dutch person I have met spoke better English than my Kiwi twang....

Native English speaker, can understand Chinese fluently. Knows how to swear in French, German, Italian and Spanish.

That counts for something, right?

Native portuguese speaker, english autodidact (thanks to video-games, movies and internet), i understand it perfectly, but my speaking is not that great.. and i understand spanish fluently, but do not speak it.

Native English speaker, can understand Chinese fluently. Knows how to swear in French, German, Italian and Spanish.

That counts for something, right?

Most important part of learning any language

I only speak Murrican fluently.

I have a very functional understanding of Spanish due to civil service in Latin-heavy urban areas.

I studied Latin all throughout middle and high-school, so by reading anything based on its lexicon and alphabet I can usually get the gist of it. Portuguese I find difficult.

Really wish I had a better understanding of Chinese, Russian, and Magyar.

Wish I could read and write in Arabic or Farsi; those languages look like poetry.

I speak fluent Russian as a first language, but often prefer to use another language if possible. I also can adequately hold a conversation in Spanish, since I decided that it would useful for living in California and occasionally going to Central America. Of course,  I most often communicate in English.

You should pick French over German cause its super swag.  I do french and english fluently cause french is literally my mother tongue.  although god help my written french cause english is more my native language.  its funny cause its actually a complicated question for me which language i learned first.  If you could easily check the correct bubble on whatever standardized test asked for native language check your privilege (pretty sure SAT or something did iunno).  I should start a tumblr campaign about that.

English is my primary language.

I am fluent in Afrikaans.

I can speak isiZulu pretty well, but my writing skills are poor.

Knowing afrikaans allows me to (for the most part) understand a languages that are similar to dutch/german.

Fluent: English + Mandarin

Can swear in and understand abit of: Hokkien/Taiwanese + Canto

I am a native italian speaker, can speak/write english very well, i'm decently skilled in French, can only understand Spanish but not speak or write. I can get the general meaning of written german and dutch for the most part

I'm fluent in Estonian and English, fairly good in Finnish, conversational in Russian and have a basic grasp of German.

I'm fluent in English, okay with French, and I can generally understand both Hindi and Punjabi although somehow I can't tell which one I'm listening to :S

I'm a native Dutch speaker and am fluent in French and English. I understand written and spoken German very well but my active vocabulary is not so big and I can speak and understand Thai enough to impress the girls over there  8)

I think I can pass for a native speaker for both English and Chinese. Chinese was my first language, but English is more comfortable for me at this point. My writing ability is also better for English. I read my subs in Chinese though. Took a month of French and dropped it without learning anything. I don't think I'll learn another language again.

Native German speaker and fluent in English. I understand a little French and Spanish, yet only enough to say things like "hallo" or order some food.

I studied Latin all throughout middle and high-school, so by reading anything based on its lexicon and alphabet I can usually get the gist of it. Portuguese I find difficult.

My understanding is that it is different in part because the area where it evolved had more Germanic and Celtic influence than the rest of Iberia.

I am a half-assed autodidact (good word use, nipp100) in a couple languages.  I can read the Russian alphabet and understand some stuff, I used to be pretty hot with spanish, but noone to speak it with now, same with Arabic, am teaching myself German and French by listening to my crews complain about the abuse they endure.  German is actually fairly easy for me because my mother made me read the Canterbury tales in the original Middle English.  I've also tried Beowulf in the original Old English, but there are too many words that just aren't used anymore for me to be able to follow it.  If you know a bit of archaic english words, and you understand a bit about the way German works, it's really amazing how much meaning you can pull out of middle and old English texts.

I'm a native Dutch speaker and am fluent in French and English. I understand written and spoken German very well but my active vocabulary is not so big and I can speak and understand Thai Polish enough to impress the girls over there  8)

Adapted to fit my language skills.

I also understand Italian up to a certain level, as long as I can answer in French or English.

Im native latvian. I can speak english and russian. Can speak/write/understand them. But I do have some sharp accent speaking russian. Not much of languages in my head :P

Native German speaker here. (--> I understand written Dutch. Spoken Dutch though :tongue: ) I think I speak good English (CAE C2: officially I should be comparable to a native speaker... a fair bit of luck involved though: I did a C1 test and when I did it they just adopted a new system. Having a score higher than 80% got me a C2 diploma) and decent French (C1 afaik around university level. Officially...). At least I did when I passed my language diplomas.
My French probably detoriated a little bit and my written English also suffered a little bit since I left school.

In case you didn't know about it I can highly recommend taking official language diplomas as afaik those don't have a date when they are no longer valid whereas in Germany the language skills you have to show for your finals (Abitur) come with an off date. They are for some reason no longer valid some years after school. Plus those diplomas look far better than "studied it in school" on a CV :thumbup:

From what I could gather so far those diplomas exist for most languages: For Spanish the Diploma Salamanca methinks, for French DELF/DALF and so on. If you have achieved skill in a language look for those diplomas!

Native German speaker here. (--> I understand written Dutch. Spoken Dutch though :tongue: ) I think I speak good English (CAE C2: officially I should be comparable to a native speaker... a fair bit of luck involved though: I did a C1 test and when I did it they just adopted a new system. Having a score higher than 80% got me a C2 diploma) and decent French (C1 afaik around university level. Officially...). At least I did when I passed my language diplomas.

My French probably detoriated a little bit and my written English also suffered a little bit since I left school.

In case you didn't know about it I can highly recommend taking official language diplomas as afaik those don't have a date when they are no longer valid whereas in Germany the language skills you have to show for your finals (Abitur) come with an off date. They are for some reason no longer valid some years after school. Plus those diplomas look far better than "studied it in school" on a CV :thumbup:

From what I could gather so far those diplomas exist for most languages: For Spanish the Diploma Salamanca methinks, for French DELF/DALF and so on. If you have achieved skill in a language look for those diplomas!

The difference is Germans are the only nation giving SO MANY FUCKS about stupid papers for every little fucking (how to brush your teeth, make coffee or give BJs to your boss; there's a certificate for everything). Others do as well, but it's not even remotely as important as over here.

I'm an English-only pleb. But I'd rather be good at English than be fluent in something like Hokkien and have weak English like some poor people I've met.

Currently learning moon language, but it'll take a while before I am capable of understanding anything other than children's books and cartoons. I'll probably take up Spanish after that because it can be extremely useful in the southern USA.