Fire_Hive

An Appeal to the Community

Hello all, I haven't been very active lately but I have been lurking, reading content and occasionally posting a comment or 2. I haven't been playing WoT either but since I kinda grew with this forum it is the community I've connected the most with. Well here is what I ask of everyone: I need your help on making a very important decision, I have been struggling over this decision for quite some time now but can't seem to make up my mind.

Some context before I start: I have dual citizenship (American/Brazilian) and I was born in Florida. Lived most of my teenage years in Tampa, Fl and dreamed of going to college at either UF or USF but that didn't happen cuz my family decided to move to Brazil my junior year (something we all regret very much cuz it didn't work out at all)

In a couple of weeks I will be leaving for the US through a exchange program here in Brazil called Ciencias sem Fronteiras (Science without Borders). In this program I will be going to an American university to study abroad for a whole year (2 semesters + summer activities/internships), after this period I am obligated to return to Brazil and remain there for a period of 2 years before I can leave the country (sketchy, I know). That is because I am supposed to finish my major in Brazil and that would be about the same amount of time necessary to do that. While in the U.S. I will have everything paid for me: tuition, housing and meals; and I also get $300 per month for monthly expenses (entertainment and other stuff). The Uni I will be going to is USF.

The big decision I'm having trouble with is: Should I go through the exchange program and have to return (easy mode but I'm not inclined cuz then I'd have to go back to Brazil)? Or should I risk going it alone with little financial help, looking for a job, working full time and later studying part time but not having to return, and live the rest of my life in the U.S.? (what I want, but also what I'm the most nervous about).

Note: I would be staying at a friends house in Tampa so I all I'd have to worry about is finding a job; also if I go it alone I'd be trying to enroll at USF in spring. I also have 2 years experience in retail for electronics (mostly PC/Notebook/Tablets/smartphones) that would hopefully land me a job somewhere.

Sorry for the wall of text and sorry I don't have a tl;dr version of it. If you guys have any questions regarding my situation plz ask.

I once read a wise bit of advice:

"You're damned if you do and damned if you don't." Do what your heart tells you to do and make it right. Simple as that.

Edit: Just had a thought about it & you need to ask yourself some questions and answer them truthfully:

• Are you a go getter? (by this I mean will you work your arse off by yourself in your least motivated state)
  • Are you an opportunity creator or an opportunity taker?
  • How fearful are you of life? (this is a hard one, people will usually totally deny any fear at all because they can't see it, I can pretty much assure you you'll be a lot more afraid of things than you think.)
  • How many opportunities of a lifetime do you think you'll get? (hint: it's 1. Totally unique, why you wouldn't take it is fucking beyond me, not judging though).
  • Tying these all together: If you could to stay in a cold dark room for the next decade (with no promise of escape) or have the courage and faith to search for the "light", what would you do?

Scientific prediction: if you choose to go to the US you'll find the motivation and develop the dedication to finish off your remaining two years in Brazil and actually make it in 'Murica. You'll probably fall in love in those two years and that'll probably do something for you. 

Sounds like a great adventure to have imo & in a darker chain of thought; who's to say you won't be dead in two years?

#YOLO

Chemical engineering. Thats what I plan to do, live real cheap, study part time (I don't know if that affects tuition). I guess another question I might have is: whats the job market in the US/Florida like atm? if anyone is from around that area that would help... Also one of my fears is not being able to find a job within a reasonable amount of time, since I will be going to the US on limited funds.

Chemical engineering. Thats what I plan to do, live real cheap, study part time (I don't know if that affects tuition). I guess another question I might have is: whats the job market in the US/Florida like atm? if anyone is from around that area that would help...

Yeah I don't know about the area specifically for work while you are in school but with a degree like that and willingness to move around the country you should do pretty well. 

I'd try to get it done full time as much as possible but that may not be practical. You want to minimize the amount of time you spend in that lowincome/inschool state. 

Florida was hit pretty hard by the 08 super recession thing and I don't know how well it's doing now. 

Scientific prediction: if you choose to go to the US you'll find the motivation and develop the dedication to finish off your remaining two years in Brazil and actually make it in 'Murica. You'll probably fall in love in those two years and that'll probably do something for you. 

You kind of described what I think might happen if I dont wing it. Edit: which is somewhat true cuz part of me wants a Brazilian girl.

So, let me get this straight - your worst case scenario involves spending two college-age years living in Brazil.

So, let me get this straight - your worst case scenario involves spending two college-age years living in Brazil.

Actually his worst case scenario, though unlikely, is trying to go to the US on his own power, not finding a job fast enough, and running out of funds.

I have a question for the OP, what is the fallback plan if you can't find a job quickly, just go back to your family in Brazil?

Research your job options for the visa you'll have while in school. You may be limited.

rip wrong button, guy has us citizenship brah.

Yes, tough choice.  I'd be inclined to go with your heart; if you and your family are unhappy in Brazil then leaving will probably make you happier in the long run.

Have you looked into financial assistance (scholarships and so forth) if you go straight into college in the US?  You'd be surprised what sources are available.  Talk with the financial aid office at USF since that's where you want to go.  The sooner you get after your college education, the sooner you can complete your degree and secure a career-type job, not a survival-type one.

As for securing a job, your experience will help you.  Longer-term, once you complete your ChemE degree and if you have solid marks then securing a really good job should not be too difficult as long as you're flexible on location.  Where I live (Texas), we're chronically short of engineers of all sorts and jobs are plentiful.

Whichever way you go, do it "all in" and give it your best shot.  You have the advantage of being young, so if for some reason it doesn't work you have the chance of a do-over without much pain.

Best of luck.

I don't really think that I'm qualified to give advice here, but I will say that whatever you choose, I hope that it all works out for you!  You may have rough times when you question yourself, and whether or not you made the right choice, but with hard work and determination, you can push through these times, and I hope at the end of the day you are happy with your choice and its outcome.  So good luck and godspeed :)

How much is the financial costs of going it alone? This is a big issue honestly. On the other hand? What kind of certification will you get if you decide to go for the exchange?

In a couple of weeks I will be leaving for the US through a exchange program here in Brazil called Ciencias sem Fronteiras (Science without Borders). In this program I will be going to an American university to study abroad for a whole year (2 semesters + summer activities/internships), after this period I am obligated to return to Brazil and remain there for a period of 2 years before I can leave the country (sketchy, I know). That is because I am supposed to finish my major in Brazil and that would be about the same amount of time necessary to do that. While in the U.S. I will have everything paid for me: tuition, housing and meals; and I also get $300 per month for monthly expenses (entertainment and other stuff). The Uni I will be going to is USF.

Who pays for you to finish your major if you return to Brazil?

I'd take the free year in the US, finish in brazil and then GTFO back to the US ASAP. It's your safest bet. You risk a lot if you decide to do it on your own, have to work your ass off and don't really benefit from it enough to make it worth it, IMO.

If you move to Florida, tuition gets a shit ton cheaper once you've lived here (I think a year) long enough to be considered an in state student.

Continued from above:

Just as an example of the price difference in tuition if you decide to just move here and work your way through:

I'm taking 3 classes this semester at a local state college (large university will be more expensive), for 9 credit hours, my in state tuition rate is just over 1300. If I was an out of state, non-resident student, tuition would be just over 4k.

I believe you would have to live here a full year in order to get the subsidized, resident rate.

Additionally, assuming you did not fill out a FAFSA earlier this year for the 2014/2015 school year, it would presumably be next to impossible for you to get any financial aid for the spring term and most college financial aid offices here in Florida won't even talk to you unless you've fill out a FAFSA.

Actually his worst case scenario, though unlikely, is trying to go to the US on his own power, not finding a job fast enough, and running out of funds.

I have a question for the OP, what is the fallback plan if you can't find a job quickly, just go back to your family in Brazil?

Yeah pretty much, unless they want to move to the US with me, which they are considering...

I'd also consider the fact that a degree from a Brazilian school probably isn't going to be as competitive as a degree from a USF for finding jobs in the United States, as that is where you want to be.

I'm not sure how globally reputable the school you'd be finishing your degree is but I know that someone in the United States would hire a USF student rather then an "unknown" Brazilian school (to him/her) because he knows the school structure & reputations from the US but he'd not be familiar with the work/schooling environment in Brazil. The safest and first pick would be someone with an US degree. < Just an extra thought.

Also: If you want to work; finding a job really isn't that hard.

How much is the financial costs of going it alone? This is a big issue honestly. On the other hand? What kind of certification will you get if you decide to go for the exchange?

Well if I go it alone 3 costs I could think of are tuition, living necessities and a vehicle/fuel. I'd be staying at a close friends house. If I decide to go through the exchange program its mostly resume type stuff so it would count more towards Brazil but at the same time I could try to create connections with some scholars in the US and maybe pave something for me down the road.

Who pays for you to finish your major if you return to Brazil?

I do

I do

In that case I would not enter the exchange program. You have to find a job where ever you end up. Might as well do it where you are happy.