Shinma

Firefighting Tests and Results

So, while trying to redo some 5 crew skills, I became interested in how accurate the info an popular understanding of firefighting was. It's a small sample, but I'll add a few different ones later to validate results

Methodology:

Target: 215b  - it's got a very exposed and soft fuel tank for a lot of HP.

Shooter mt-25 - good pen vs low alpha

Went through replays with a hitlog and recorded each fire damage, hp at time, tick for module damage, number of ticks. Threw out any where fire killed tank.

Groupings: Test 1 & 2 Skills: FF 100% + BIA

Test 3 & 4: BIA

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YDhyaeDbKhP_I4b6zRNAe5Jluh7KQSpCJZH9x-0XFVs/edit?usp=sharing

Results:

- Fire damage is based on Hull HP

- FF has no effect on reducing module damage, 

- The first tick of 1st fire is ~3.9% of max HP (+/- 0.3%) regardless of FF

- The first tick of 2nd fire is~3.5% of max hp(+/- 0.3%) Regardless of FF

- FF increases the inter-tick reduction of fire damage by ~50% (wow, close to what was written) (In test it reduced each tick by 10 +/- 1, non FF reduced each tick by 5 +/- 1)

- fires burn until tick damage = ~0

- FF reduces ticks by great e

- The first fire seems to cost ~22% +/- 3 maxHP with FF 

The first fire seems to cost ~40% +/- 5 maxHP without FF

- Second fire seems to cost ~15% with FF

- Not enough data for cost without FF

Conclusions: 

Basic fire equation

FireDam = (MaxHP*~0.039(0.95n-(.05*X)))

X = FF skill

If people wish to test this data, feel free to post here and I'll try and update as it goes. 

Edit: Special thanks to Etrenety, a random NA player who was kind enough to run through a number of test runs.

Having trouble understanding that formula.  does that mean -5% per tick, or -5hp per tick?  

Each subsequent tick is ~5-10% less than the previous tick, depending on FF skill level. If you had an average FF level of 80%, each tick would be ~91% of the preceding tick, +/- 10%

I'd need to run a few more tests, but you're looking at X*crew+1 skill slots and ~19% (I'm kinda guestimating that of your hp lost on first fire is closer to 20% with full FF + food bonus) for food bonus as your worst case tradeoff. 

I also have a hunch that fire location might correlate to proximal module damage, but it's nothing more than that at the moment. 

Though for all intents and purposes, this does re-open the debate over FF + auto extinguisher, since the second fire seems to be reduced by 10%, though keep in mind, how many tanks can bleed even 20% hp + whatever shot you at/below 50% HP,and will it really change your HP trade vs same tier gun? 

That second fire damage is OP...

So TL;DR for those who don't want to read all this stuff:

FF is actually worth it?

seems like a good choice for 6th skill for some crew members.  maybe 5th for loader?

FF is so underpowered it isn't even funny. 

It should reduce chance of fire AND put out the fire much more quickly than it does.  

On 7/28/2014 at 5:10 AM, weesh said:

seems like a good choice for 6th skill for some crew members.  maybe 5th for loader?

FF is so underpowered it isn't even funny. 

It should reduce chance of fire AND put out the fire much more quickly than it does.  

That could make it OP for the cost without tweaking some numbers.

Example: A -5% chance of fire makes it a 33-50% improvement over base fire value (10-15% base chance is the mode)

My suggestion is to either make it BiA-style, or reduce chance of fire to 1% at 100% per crew, which rewards bigger crews (a 6 crew E100 will have -6% chance, or approx 40% improvement).

I have it on my E50 crew because I run food but I catch fire like... never. Reading this thread makes me want to respec the crew and change it to camo so at least the T-55a benefits from it!

1 hour ago, Nalok said:

I have it on my E50 crew because I run food but I catch fire like... never. Reading this thread makes me want to respec the crew and change it to camo so at least the T-55a benefits from it!

You know the next match after you do that your tank will catch fire right?  RNGesus is watching.

I want to know whether this has changed in the last 2 years. I could swear FF has a really positive effect once you catch fire, but that may be the placebo effect.

EDIT: By that, I mean reducing dmg per tick significantly and stopping the fire after 4 or 5 ticks.

7 hours ago, Grasschopper said:

You know the next match after you do that your tank will catch fire right?  RNGesus is watching.

Yeah I'm scared as well! So what is the final conclusion on FF.. worth it or not?

10 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I want to know whether this has changed in the last 2 years. I could swear FF has a really positive effect once you catch fire, but that may be the placebo effect.

EDIT: By that, I mean reducing dmg per tick significantly and stopping the fire after 4 or 5 ticks.

Whoever tested it a few years back found that it reduced total damage but not a large amount and you still got wrecked from a module standpoint.