PMJ79

Clan Reputations and Its Effect on You

176 posts in this topic

So, I recently made a bad post over on the WoT forums. It was a dumb thing to do, but I thought it was funny, and I honestly believed what I was saying at the time. The response showed me just how little I actually know about what's going on at a diplomatic level, and the bigger picture story. I've learned my lesson, and will leave any diplo or posting to the leadership from now on.

The end result of it was actually enlightening for me though, as I've learned that my clan doesn't have the shiny reputation I thought it did. I was actually a little dismayed to find out some people thought PRTSN were attackers of opportunity and people of poor reputation.Now I don't know what the 100% accurate picture is, but I do know it's more complicated than I thoguht.

I really like the group of people in PRTSN as they are good guys, and are good to play with and the clan has really been doing a lot to get better. What I don't like is that we have a reputation for jumping into things when the opponent is already fighting on multiple fronts or attacking without notice (or at least a few people have said that's the case).

So my question is, how does being in a clan impact one's reputation over the longer term? Can people be branded negatively just for having been part of a clan that did some untoward things?

Assumptions made since I joined CHAI:

> I am CarbonWard.

> I am a camping sniper padder.

> I can speak mandarin.

It doesnt matter that much, what some scrub clans think, because most of the time they only see see/know one half of the picture. Sounds familiar some how doesn't it?

As long as your clan (leadership) sticks to their deals ... and no deals mean no obligations

A small/lowtier clan like PRTSN is unlikely to give much of a name to its stock and fodder members, and even if it did I'd be surprised to see anyone outside of the affected clans care. The ones who may get branded negatively are the talkitive ones - commanders, CRD posters, diplomats, assholes etc. Everyone else is quite frankly a nobody. The same goes for positive reputation - outside of -G-, I cant think of any clan that will alter how people think of you simply because you were in the clan. If you arent in Sneakybuggers_Shitlords, I don't think anyone will ever care.

The biggest "reputation" change you'd see if you suddenly jumped from PRTSN to a well known or respected clan is the public "HEY PBKAC :333: :)) INVITE PLS" shoutouts.

Thanks for the advice.

Basically, I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on and all should be good.

Realistically it's just because you are at war with Relic right now and Relic are the official keepers of the eHonoUr storage facilities. 

You seem to be cool with everyone other than Relic (including -G- supposedly) so don't take it to personally. CR/D is in full propaganda mode right now from both sides.

I would o7 rexxie in game but as ex Evil gaming and Current Thief, i dont think im allowed.

And as for clan reputations effecting you, the whole time i was in Evil gaming, we were the bad guys, the people who dogpiled, sucked, and were not respected in the slightest. I still enjoyed my time there.

A small/lowtier clan like PRTSN is unlikely to give much of a name to its stock and fodder members, and even if it did I'd be surprised to see anyone outside of the affected clans care. The ones who may get branded negatively are the talkitive ones - commanders, CRD posters, diplomats, assholes etc. Everyone else is quite frankly a nobody. The same goes for positive reputation - outside of -G-, I cant think of any clan that will alter how people think of you simply because you were in the clan. If you arent in Sneakybuggers_Shitlords, I don't think anyone will ever care.

The biggest "reputation" change you'd see if you suddenly jumped from PRTSN to a well known or respected clan is the public "HEY PBKAC :333: :)) INVITE PLS" shoutouts.

Does -G- blacklists people from DOS (someone told me that)? And on a broader note I thought being in DOS was bad for someone's reputation.

> I am CarbonWard.

> I can speak mandarin.

So what part of that is wrong?

G gives a small weight to a history of playing for quality, stable clans.

So what part of that is wrong?

G gives a small weight to a history of playing for quality, stable clans.

The mandarin part

Unless you're a soldier in Top 15 on CR/D, just seriously don't bother posting in there as far as that goes. 

For the most part, it doesn't affect anything. Oh you were in DOS? Doesn't matter if you weren't known for being awful there. 

> I am CarbonWard.

> I can speak mandarin.

Dont forget Running full HEAT on tier 10s (yes i saw a CHAI member doing that)

Even though I guess I'm technically allowed to post in CR/D, I prefer to play it safe and just post bewbs occasionally in the RS embassy. That way I have zero chance of making myself or THIRD look bad. 

I'm far more likely to remember your name for individual shitty behavior than your clan tag. If I know who you are but not what clan you were in, that's probably a bad sign. Conversely, if I remember you being in a certain clan but don't know you individually, it's usually a good thing.

People stand out more for their personal behavior.

I've tried to explain it many times but most people just don't get it. Wearing a certain clan tag may reflect badly on you at the time, but unless you were a shitter yourself, it's probably not a big deal.

Of course, there are exceptions to everything. Fuck those old school Forge and MLP guys for example. They're terrible human beings.

I've tried to explain it many times but most people just don't get it. Wearing a certain clan tag may reflect badly on you at the time, but unless you were a shitter yourself, it's probably not a big deal.

I feel like this is true for many online games, although with such a small community the "who you are/who you know/who you pissed off" deal weighs a lot more in World of Tanks than in other online games.

Granted, I don't have much experience with MMO games outside of WoT, so I can't say if my observation is correct or not. My time in CounterStrike/TF2 doesn't count in my opinion, as I felt those games featured micro communities gathered around server X or Y, rather than the all encompassing "North American" WoT community.

I don't really remember anybody based off of clan tag, only what they personally did. Everybody I know in WoT I remember them primarily on how cool they were, attitude, and tanks played.

For example, I remember Ziddy as the guy that told me to blow my load on whoever pops over the hill in clan wars.

I remember FireIsHot as the caller in CRABS with the really sexy voice.

I remember Carbonward as the asian that nobody can understand in teamspeak.

As far as reputation goes, I personally think what you do individually will far outweigh whatever clan you're in. If you're a good poster, you'll be remembered as a good poster. If you're a really cool guy, you'll be remembered as a really cool guy. Don't let your clan get in the way of how you think others think about you, make your impression on others a good one.

and avoid cr/d

I tell everyone to direct any complaints about me (preferably with pictures) to my Dicktator Ezz.

Sadly only one person has had a hissy fit and dragged it into our embassy. Many lols where had.

As far as reputation goes, I personally think what you do individually will far outweigh whatever clan you're in. If you're a good poster, you'll be remembered as a good poster. If you're a really cool guy, you'll be remembered as a really cool guy. Don't let your clan get in the way of how you think others think about you, make your impression on others a good one.

Pretty much.  I get more greetings based on my my forum presence than my tags.  

As far as previous clans go, at least 90% fall into the "DGAF" category.  If you used to be in landed gudclan, you might get a +1 for assumed CW experience, but we're still going to analyze stats and platoon with you first.  Same if you used to be in notorious shitclan.  

> I am CarbonWard.

> I can speak mandarin.

To add to this, literally everyone who has insulted me due to my CHAI tags has said something about me loving rice.