chinesedriveby

what do 4000 WN8 players do differently?

Question

currently i can sustain a 3k WN8 if i pay attention. how do 4000 WN8 players do it? please teach me sensei. (only respond if you are not farming WN8 in a T62A or something :P)

I'd call WN8 obsession retard school, not new school. Last time I checked winning was the ultimate goal of this game, not padding some flawed rating.

The thing holding me back the most is certainly playing on tilt... I play this game on tilt 50% of the time and if I wouldn't I'd drastically improve my performance.

The thing holding me back the most is certainly playing on tilt... I play this game on tilt 50% of the time and if I wouldn't I'd drastically improve my performance.

I wouldn't describe it as "tilt," but one thing I've noticed over thousands of games in my solopub challenges...my typical night is actually really damn good.  Probably my median night is ~75-80% with good performance.  Its just that ~10-15% of the time or so I have complete and utter shit nights.  ~40% win rates, etc, and that tanks my overall down to a more realistic 65-70%.  I know when I load into a team, I can pretty much immediately tell if I can win or not.  Once retard hits critical mass, you lose.  And if you have the misfortune to hit critical retard mass several times in a night, you get fucked.

It aggravates the hell out of me, because I know I can win virtually any close game...but some pubs are so fucking shitty I have nothing to work with, and they tend to move in groups.

Heres someone :

Aqollo

I mean he's been playing the batchat ALOT but If I had his VBAddict profile I think he pulls the same number in his 183(rip) and his other tanks of other tiers.

Hes borderline 4k and some days you catch him at 3.8-4.4k

I might also add (and Im not like 100%) but I think he for the most part is solo. He's not much of a people person and doesn't like talking much.

How about this :

If you look at the top people in wn8 you will find people that play tanks that inflate your Wn8.

If you look at the top people in WR you will find people that play game modes(TC) that inflate your WR.

If you look at the top people in Wn7 you will find people that play tanks that inflate Wn7.

If you look at the top people in EFF you will find people that play to inflate EFF.

When Wn9 comes out the same will be true.

But you will find players who don't also.

The only person in the thread that's actually provided any concrete advice is Garbad, and he's the one getting run out of town.  Classic.  Yes, theoretically any tank can be 'padded' to 4k WN8.  In reality, the clear majority of players actually achieving 4k are doing it in two.

Telling someone to be consistent doesn't even mean anything-- clearly the elimination of poor performances is critical but if someone asks how to not suck and your reply is 'just don't suck'... that's not helpful.

First thing I can notice is you play a LOT of different tanks (38+ across a variety of tiers in 140ish battles over 7 days).  In my experience, jumping all over the place makes it hard to consistently hit peak performance in any given tank.  Cut that down and cut the different tiers down and really focus on a handful preferably in tiers close to each other.  Different tiers play a little bit different from each other, getting used to the feel of the games is helpful for consistency.  

Next, when cutting that list down settle on the tanks that you overperform in compared to the general player averages.  T-62A/E-50 are demonstrably the choice of most people but that doesn't have to limit you.  T-20/Comet/IS-6/whatever floats your boat here can work... the trick is you have to be good in it.

Next, find a couple of other really good players and platoon with them full time.  This is critical to prevent full-pub-retard mode and having the games end too quickly.  Quick ending games usually mean poor WN8 which means bad consistency.

Once you've hit the 4k recent mark, then you can mix in some other tanks and play a little more solo-- it's easier to maintain a given rating as compared to attaining that rating in the first place.

you look like someone who's just recently found out how to pad their wn8, in all honesty.

Not sure if I should feel insulted but with the info you have available, I guess many do think the same. I play to win, dmg and kills seem to bring you wins so that's what I try to do. 

Yes my overall stats are bad and also during those recent 5k battles I've learned a lot (if that's what's worrying you). My recent 5k battles go all the way back to 2012, so keep that in mind.

Q: How do you maintain the aggressiveness/total consistency for when you're playing a squishy tank and there is a T92 or something that has a seriously raging bawnner for you or simply gets lucky knocking off half of your HP? What if your loader fails to stow safely and has fun times with an nmy 704 shell? How do you deal with these problems that are consistency inhibitors for 4k?

So... would a fair consensus be:

2 ways to play at 4k:

1.  Play a low average, high ceiling tank (most notably 62a or E-50) at or above the 1st percentile level.

2.  Play one of a number of low expected value tanks exceptionally well, probably top .1% level.  

So... would a fair consensus be:

2 ways to play at 4k:

1.  Play a low average, high ceiling tank (most notably 62a or E-50) at or above the 1st percentile level.

2.  Play one of a number of low expected value tanks exceptionally well, probably top .1% level.  

More like:

1.  Play a T-62A or E-50 at a mere unicum level (top 1%)

2.  Play other pad friendly tanks (STA, Leo1, Tiger, IS-6, etc) at a supercum level (top 0.1%)

3.  Play a slightly broader range of tanks and be kewei or canadianimpact (top 0.000001%)

And if you play certain tanks, you can't get it no matter what.  The number of people in categories 2 or 3 is less than 5.  The number of people in category 1 is about 100.  Judge for yourself.

P.S.  NA only, eurobads.  No one cares about JV.

Give me mod access and I'll drop the ban hammer. I have loads of free time and plenty of anger from years of forum moderation in WoW

I think 4k is the upper WN limit of unpadded play. You can hit it and run near it (3800-4200) with normal play - granted, you have to be really good and have a playstyle that compliments your damage abilities, but you don't need to pad nor play like a baddicum to do so.

What players beyond that do (other than pad) is a bit hard to explain. They are very efficient with their HP, for one. They also tend to make decisions that optimize their personal performance. Often times you can pull this off without damaging your chance at winning, so that's always good. Another thing I've noticed is that they'll do practically anything to live until the end of the game - you just can't miss out on that post-win damage farm.

Still, there's a lot to be said about how much of that actually translates to winrate. I think that almost all of these players are putting in way more effort than they could get away with for the same winrate. It's just not worth it IMHO.

I think 4k is the upper WN limit of unpadded play. You can hit it and run near it (3800-4200) with normal play - granted, you have to be really good and have a playstyle that compliments your damage abilities, but you don't need to pad nor play like a baddicum to do so.

What players beyond that do (other than pad) is a bit hard to explain. They are very efficient with their HP, for one. They also tend to make decisions that optimize their personal performance. Often times you can pull this off without damaging your chance at winning, so that's always good. Another thing I've noticed is that they'll do practically anything to live until the end of the game - you just can't miss out on that post-win damage farm.

Still, there's a lot to be said about how much of that actually translates to winrate. I think that almost all of these players are putting in way more effort than they could get away with for the same winrate. It's just not worth it IMHO.

Most damage fetishists don't think like that.  Read nipp -- he is an active denier (i solo, therefore my win rate means nothing its all luck).  To them, its more like this:  I do a lot of damage, therefore I'm really good regardless of the fact that I'm not good at winning.  Its just the asian/skilled version of potato deniers (i solo, win rate is luck, besides my accuracy is good and thats the only thing I can control so im good).

Let's pick some arbitrary tanks on vBAddict and look at the top WN8 scores.

AMX 50B

IS-4

FV215b - that top one looks like BS to me

FV4202

Point is, these people are breaking 4k in tanks that are neither T-62A nor E50. What are they doing to achieve that? I'm pretty sure that's what OP wants to know.

Jesus tapdancing christ.  The top player is the one who has the highest winrate AND wn8 both.  If your winrate his high and your wn8 is low you are either TC padder or getting carried.  If your wn8 is high and your winrate is low you are a damage farmer or playing shitty tanks to inflate stats.  If your winrate AND wn8 is high you're good.  If your winrate and wn8 are both deep purple the only way to differentiate who is a better player is to look at individual tank stats.  wn8 accumulated over about 3800 just doesn't fucking matter.

Fucking stop already.  Nobody cares.

Jesus tapdancing christ.  The top player is the one who has the highest winrate AND wn8 both.  If your winrate his high and your wn8 is low you are either TC padder or getting carried.  If your wn8 is high and your winrate is low you are a damage farmer or playing shitty tanks to inflate stats.  If your winrate AND wn8 is high you're good.  If your winrate and wn8 are both deep purple the only way to differentiate who is a better player is to look at individual tank stats.  wn8 accumulated over about 3800 just doesn't fucking matter.

Fucking stop already.  Nobody cares.

Uh, no.  The best players is the one who wins the most.  Wn8 doesn't mean a rat's ass.

Uh, no.  The best players is the one who wins the most.  Wn8 doesn't mean a rat's ass.

Ok then.  I hereby present the player that is significantly better than you based upon this specific criteria:

signature.png

Sure, he's slipping a little lately, but overall he's at least twice as good as your measly 73% overall winrate.

/thread

Congratulations, you aren't smart enough to insert the implied and understood "all things being equal" into any comparison.  Obviously no one is comparing tier 2 clubbing to tier 10 solopub, we are comparing apples to apples.  And in apples to apples, ONLY win rate matters.

I feel dumber for having to have typed that for you.

Congratulations, you aren't smart enough to insert the implied and understood "all things being equal" into any comparison.  Obviously no one is comparing tier 2 clubbing to tier 10 solopub, we are comparing apples to apples.  And in apples to apples, ONLY win rate matters.

I feel dumber for having to have typed that for you.

I will agree with you that your effect on win rate (probably best measured by solopub win rate in a specific tier) is the absolute best measure of skill (depending on whether or not your tank is totally OP or UP). However, if all we have is API statistics, then win rate alone is totally useless. WN8 is there to validate it, and there's really no way to realistically say it's worse than nothing.

I will agree with you that your effect on win rate (probably best measured by solopub win rate in a specific tier) is the absolute best measure of skill (depending on whether or not your tank is totally OP or UP). However, if all we have is API statistics, then win rate alone is totally useless. WN8 is there to validate it, and there's really no way to realistically say it's worse than nothing.

At this point, Wn8 is worse than nothing.  Why?  Because it has led a sizable chunk of this community to jump the shark -- they now openly farm damage rather than try to win, at the cost of skill and their teammates.  This is degenerate as fuck, and yet somehow this community thinks that behavior is somehow different and better than farming capfast points in a tier 2.  The community would be better off if we completely scrapped Wn8 at this point.