Sign in to follow this  
dirtd0g

Weekly Skirmishes – What? How? Why!?

Skirmishes and You

Over the past year LIMBO and its relatives have participated with alarming regularity in these weekly tournaments. The format has been an attractive option for those of us with limited or sporadic availability on a week-to-week basis. These events allow us to participate in a structured competitive format and take home tons of well-earned gold as a reward.

Throughout our trials and tribulations LIMBO teams have encountered hurdles and issues that will be commonplace for any core group wishing to partake regularly. I have also encountered many new recruits and players who have no idea that these events exist or what they actually are. In attempt to inform and educate the masses, I will outline their benefits and go into more detail regarding their operation. 

You may be able to avoid (or be prepared) for issues that took a small, casual community like ours by surprise.

What is a Skirmish?

It is a weekly tournament that runs in WoT. It is free to create a team, free to join, and free to participate. They occur from Monday night (10pm EST) until the Following Sunday, depending on how well you do. Expect to play for around 2 hours each night you are scheduled to battle.

Each Skirmish has different tier and team limits. You will see different maps and different modes each week. Some limit the amount of tank types and some even have a certain nationality as a requirement. Regardless, YOU get to choose whether or not you want to create or join a team after you know the details. You can assure yourself and your team that you have the proper tanks and availability to participate fully. Each team can also always have 3 “reserve” members; a 5-man Skirmish can have up to 8 members.

Gold prizes occur in 2 stages. The first 3 days of contest (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday) constitute the “Group Stage”. You will play 7 games against random enemy teams accruing points; 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss. The teams that accrue the top 10% of points will net 5k gold PER PLAYER. Landing in the top 20% will get each member 2.5k, and the prizes decrease as you go down the line. There may be tie-breakers for the 50% bracket held on Thursday. The following Friday, Saturday, and Sunday you will enter the bracketed finals. You will advance through teams attempting to obtain 3 victories within 10 games in order to progress to the next day. Sunday, if you make it that far, will have a semi-final round at 7pm EST with the finals for 1st place at 10pm EST. Making it to the top will net you another 5k per person.

TL;DR – They are fun, competitive, casual, and lucrative.

How can I Skirmish?

Information on upcoming events, among other great tournaments, can be found on the WoT Portal... Or just fucking click HERE.

You can create a team, password protect the shit out of it, and get your friends to join!

MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT YOUR TEAM FOR APPROVAL BEFORE THE DEADLINE! Usually midnight the Sunday before the event starts...

You can also check here on WoTLabs for people looking to throw a team together, the official forums frequently has people interested, and many clan and clan families have tournament teams ready for new players.

"Like those KIMBO and LIMBO guys, right!?"

Why, yes, you beautiful bastard... Yes, indeed.

If you are creating your own team and you are spearheading the organization of the team's creation, make sure your members have proper tanks with adequate crews and make sure they can actually make it to the fight.

Once you submit your team, or join a team, "Special Battles" will appear on the bottom of your garage 20 or 30 minutes before the start time. Click that bitch and get ready for some fun! Your battle schedule will be posted on the portal so you can prepare...

NightmareMk9's Contribution - Thank You!

Make sure the guys playing in the next game are on the TOP of the Special Battles Screen (we received a Tech Defeat our very first match)

Specialb_zpsfb46f0d1.jpg

I wish WG had some images posted to explain how the brackets worked.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: You will battle 7 other teams and get Points for each Win/Draw.  Each round is about 15 minutes, so you need to allocate 2 FULL hours to this event, each night.

After that Matchup there will be a ranking like this:

Skirm_zps50d6e512.jpg

After 3 Nights (or 4 if there is a playoff).  All teams will get ranked based on total number of points.  I still don't understand exactly how they construct the next set of brackets:

8cbf82ad-da87-4e27-9e85-9a6f646c6294_zps

Friday Night you will battle 1 team in a First to Three Wins Skirmish.  If you win then you repeat, Saturday and Sunday.

SO we had about 239 total teams in the Skirm 29.

Top 50% were in the Alpha Playoffs, or about 120 Teams

With 120 Teams there were 8 Brackets in the Final Round (top 8 teams received a Bye on Friday Night), so 8 Teams won "1ST Place" and the 5000 Gold Prize.

In the beginning I assumed only 1 team out of the 239 would win top prize, so 8x as many prizes makes it MUCH easier to win something.

Our TM8OZ + 2 Wotlab guys won top 10% and then finished 5-8.  We won 5000 G for the 10% and 500 for the Alpha.  We are Super Happy with our first attempt.

*let me know if I have anything incorrect, or if you want to incorporate any of this in the top post.

TL;DR - Just fucking click HERE.

Why would I want to do a Skirmish?

Maybe you like the idea of running a Chaffee and fighting only VIs WHILE carrying your 6-man team to glorious victory against top-10 clans while winning over 1k gold per hour. Maybe your small, new clan is not cohesive enough for viable global map contention and you still want to garner good team-play in a competitive atmosphere. Maybe you want to try your hand at calling a battle with "something big" on the line. 

The real question is, why DON'T you Skirmish?

Even a fairly competent team of bananas and oranges led by someone with a bit tactical sense can lead a random group of strangers to the top 20-30% without voice communications... I know, I been done did 'dat.

Also, you should do it to keep it alive.

TL;DR - Gold and team-play experience.

So, what do I need to know before this battle drops?

If you are just starting out and have absolutely NO idea what you are getting into, there are bound to be surprises and failures along the way. The most successful Skirmish teams I have been on are comprised of a core group of players who platoon regularly with one another. We have a good feel for each other's "styles" and our synergy is complimentary. TEAM PLAY is MUCH more important than individual ability, statistics, or performance.

These Skirmishes are the reason I no longer fret when an enemy team is blurple to the brim. Our lowly, scummy, scrubby LIMBO teams have bested many "better" clans due to better teamwork, more reactive decision-making, and... Maybe some luck. In turn, we have been bested by teams that looked like XVM cheese pizza due to their concentrated pushes, more advantageous tank compositions, and... Maybe some bad luck. 

Expect to spend A LOT of credits. You WILL want a lot of premium rounds and premium consumables. You DO NOT earn credits for these games. You also should consider dropping some gold to get a good crew in your chosen tank. I spend around 800 gold and average over 250k credits per skirmish. It is worth it!

Here are some rules I've learned along the way.

[1] Make sure you aren't breaking the rules. If they say only 2 heavies, or must have 1 medium, or no lights over Tier-III, PAY ATTENTION!

[2] Don't be horrible douche-nozzles in chat to the enemy team. Butt-hurt is very, very real and cock-sucking dick-fuckers WILL try to get you disqualified for "Unsportsmanlike Conduct". They will sometimes succeed, and missing out on 5k gold because you just HAD to type, "Your mom blew me last night" feels bad.

[3] If you have a dispute to file, do it IMMEDIATELY. We lost out on a Skirmish once because our team captain couldn't file an official claim until the day AFTER the scheduled battles. Our claim was denied based on that technicality... While the enemy team's decision to bring 3 "illegal" tanks to finally start winning was overlooked. Seriously, we were up 2-0 in the finals... Nope, not over it... Nope, never will be.

[4] Do NOT get cocky. The top 10-20% is decided by a point or two. One loss too many may half your winnings, if only it were a draw... Individual stats can mean NOTHING. Experienced skirmish teams are DANGEROUS. They know the format, they know their tanks, and they will rape your doughy, dewy-eyed face if you give them the chance.

[5] Fielding a team of tankers in machines they are comfortable in is more important than having a perfect composition. Having both, however, is ideal.

[6] Good intelligence will go a LONG way. A little diplomacy can get you a big threat's initial deployment and preferred lanes. Even having someone just look up the recent WN8s of each player can give you a better idea of how your night is going to go; this is especially true for the initial group stages.

[7] Have SOME semblance of a plan. You are going to want some initial deployment ideas for both spawns for each map and mode (if applicable).

[8] Do NOT shrug your losses off as if nothing ever happened. This is not Happy Fun Special Super Snowflake time. Critique your mistakes, watch the replays, and make adjustments and notes. There are times where you will just get outplayed, but MOST of your losses will be due to apprehension, over-aggression, misallocation, or some other strategic failure.  

[9] Think twice before submitting a team for approval if it is not full INCLUDING the 3 reserves. You WILL want to go all they way, and having as many bodies available to battle on all of the days is paramount. 

[10] Have fun. While this MAY seem to interfere with rule #8, it is possible to be serious about winning while having a grand old time after a loss... Just take your losses seriously; you learn from loss. 

Popular and Good Tanks Per Tier

Tier-I: T1 Cunningham,  LOL Traktor 

Tier-II: Cruiser Mk. III, M2 Light Tank, T18 TD

Tier-III: Pz. 1C, Cruisers, Some Premium Tanks... 

Tier-IV: Matilda, M8A1, T40 (View Range), Alecto (Mobility)... Luchs!

Tier-V: T49, T-34 (and clone), M7, KV-1... Chaffee if they allow it...

Tier-VI: KV-1S, Hellcat, Cromwell... Maybe A-43 or T-34-85 depending on the map. T-150 and KV-2 for more heavies.

Tier-VII: T29, E-25, T71, Comet... SU-122-44 sometimes...

Tier-VIII: All the good league tanks...

Tier-IX: T54, T54E1, ST-I, E-75...

Tier-X: All the good CW tanks...

Thank you for reading! Left me know if I missed anything and feel free to include any other tips of your own!

Do those skirmishes only exist for NA? Or do we have them on EU as well? 

If ESL is the EU counterpart can anybody give me some advice if it's worth getting into ESL? So far I have heard only bad things about it.

Another important thing for those who are completely new to organized play in WoT (ie no tournaments or CW done). 

MAKE SURE YOU MOVE PLAYERS UP TO THE TOP HALF OF THE SPECIAL BATTLES SCREEN.

I *may* have screwed this up very early on and technicalled a battle once...

Another important thing for those who are completely new to organized play in WoT (ie no tournaments or CW done). 

MAKE SURE YOU MOVE PLAYERS UP TO THE TOP HALF OF THE SPECIAL BATTLES SCREEN.

I *may* have screwed this up very early on and technicalled a battle once...

Ya... had that happen before, kinda embarrassing. (SO DON'T DO IT) It's so stupid giving the enemy team an easy win, just remember top, and I think anyone can move them, doesn't have to be a captain or something. 

Another thing, don't play defensively, I have never really seen it work with a half decent group of enemies. In the abbey tournament from way back with only mediums up to tier 8 allowed, we tried to defend our base. We got picked apart easily, we tried something different, a little more aggressive, but didn't require a lot of skill, we started winning, placed 4th in the bracket or something, and we ran a Pershing, Super pershing, T-44, Panther 2 and Type 59. (then for the next part of the tourney we only had three guys show up, ruined our strategy, and lost there :()

Strategy depends on everything... But typically the most successful teams will be aggressive, be it initial scouting or balls-to-the-walls push for a vital area. Passive teams tend to accrue a lot of draws; if you see a team with a lot of those, expect a hard camp.

My clan started playing skirmishes around skirmish 11 I think.  I would like to add a few things DirtDOG.

1.  Don't get discouraged if your team does not do well your first Skirmish night and 2.  Play the full week tournament if possible.

I refuse to play Bravo (elimination) bracket (Fri, Sat, Sun.) only.  Playing the whole enchilada allows you to use what you learn from the group play days, make adjustments and prepare for the Friday through Sunday elimination rounds.

If you finish in the top 50% of teams after Monday thru Wednesday, you automatically are in the money. How much is actually up to you and your team moving through the bracket on the weekend.  If you only play the elimination (Bravo only), you have not seen what has been tried and worked or failed.  If you get eliminated in the first Bravo elimination round, you do not earn any cash.

And 3.  This is an opportunity to win some in game currency, that you normally have to spend real cash on, doing what you like to do anyway:  PLAYING TANKS WITH YOUR CLAN PEEPS.  Why would you not do that?

Yeah, I will definitely add a segment about expecting failure...

We had a series of disappoint implosions and losses before we went on our roll. Our core group then splintered into multiple teams that all had their own issues before hitting their stride. Still hurts to lose to hard-camping reds... But that's what happens when you get cocky.

Your points #2 and #3 are basically covered, although I will add more about how these events basically give us gold for free and what that means... It means WoT is one of the least "Pay2Win" games in existence. 

Make sure the guys playing in the next game are on the TOP of the Special Battles Screen (we received a Tech Defeat our very first match)

Specialb_zpsfb46f0d1.jpg

I wish WG had some images posted to explain how the brackets worked.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: You will battle 7 other teams and get Points for each Win/Draw.  Each round is about 15 minutes, so you need to allocate 2 FULL hours to this event, each night.

After that Matchup there will be a ranking like this:

Skirm_zps50d6e512.jpg

After 3 Nights (or 4 if there is a playoff).  All teams will get ranked based on total number of points.  I still don't understand exactly how they construct the next set of brackets:

8cbf82ad-da87-4e27-9e85-9a6f646c6294_zps

Friday Night you will battle 1 team in a First to Three Wins Skirmish.  If you win then you repeat, Saturday and Sunday.

SO we had about 239 total teams in the Skirm 29.

Top 50% were in the Alpha Playoffs, or about 120 Teams

With 120 Teams there were 8 Brackets in the Final Round (top 8 teams received a Bye on Friday Night), so 8 Teams won "1ST Place" and the 5000 Gold Prize.

In the beginning I assumed only 1 team out of the 239 would win top prize, so 8x as many prizes makes it MUCH easier to win something.

Our TM8OZ + 2 Wotlab guys won top 10% and then finished 5-8.  We won 5000 G for the 10% and 500 for the Alpha.  We are Super Happy with our first attempt.

*let me know if I have anything incorrect, or if you want to incorporate any of this in the top post.

The only thing I'd add so it's noticeable immediately is that participants need to expect to blow credits in any tourney or league match, sometimes a LOT, because they're all set up in training rooms which means ammo and consumables need to be paid for. Some members of The_Underscores have burned through millions of credits for an event running the 13 90, for example. The 13 90 is a worst case scenario, pretty much, but the credit sink can still be substantial. At least one of my team actually bought a credit package because he didn't have time to grind out the credits he'd need to play with us.

Tourneys are the bee's knees for a casual clan like ours. I'm participating in my second tourney this week on alecnin's POTATE! team and it's a freaking blast. It's cool as hell that JKLB has been able to field 3 teams this go and that they're all doing fairly well.

Having a coherent plan and a good caller make such a difference in the success of these skirmishes. Ideally, you want to divide your enemy forces whenever possible. For example, this happened in one of our skirmishes yesterday (sorry for the shitty mspaint drawing):

JrHWhQh.jpg

Essentially, through playing reactively our team (green) was able to hold off two Type T-34s and the Tetrarch that had gone around our spawn to flank our KV-1s with a single Type T-34, allowing the rest of the team to win their brawls against the enemy KV-1s by force of numbers and then focus on the enemy Type T-34s afterwards.

This play would not have been possible were it not for a terrific plan out of the gates and a quality caller to react to the threats at hand.

What can I say? Skirmishes are awesome.

Cruiser IVs were very economical in Skirm 29, I think I loss less than 100k per night with full Gold Loads.  I installed a Large Repair Kit about 1/2 way through the tourny, and only used it once.

But with something like the PZC, I can see you spending a ton of cash.

It would be nice to get some XP out of these events, but I guess that is the price to win the Gold.

Could you make a list in the OP of the most commonly used tanks of each tier?  I know a lot of the 6s, 8s and 10s, but the other tiers are not as well known to me.  

Could you make a list in the OP of the most commonly used tanks of each tier?  I know a lot of the 6s, 8s and 10s, but the other tiers are not as well known to me.  

WG tends to play around with the vehicle requirements a lot, so you might be forced to consider a lot of tanks you wouldn't take otherwise.

Unless it's complete shit like the Somua SAu-40, for example, there might be a map/team setup that can make it viable.

WG tends to play around with the vehicle requirements a lot, so you might be forced to consider a lot of tanks you wouldn't take otherwise.

Unless it's complete shit like the Somua SAu-40, for example, there might be a map/team setup that can make it viable.

But surely there is a list of default tanks that would be good to have prepared, with the understanding that a little stretch might be required?  

Do you guys spend gold to retrain crew for these things or what?  

But surely there is a list of default tanks that would be good to have prepared, with the understanding that a little stretch might be required?  

Well, let me try. Ordered by importance, strikethrough tanks not really viable unless there's some restriction during the skirmish

Tier 7:

TDs: E-25, SU-122-44, T25/2>shit

Heavies: T29>Tiger>IS-2>IS, BP,M4

Mediums: T20, Comet>T-34-1>Panther

Lights: T71>WZ131, AMX13-75

Tier 5:

TDs: T49>S35CA, Pz.Sfl.>Garbage

Heavies: KV-1>T1>BDR

Mediums: M4, T-34>M7, Ram II>PanzerIV>Pz3/4, Chi Nu

Lights: Chaffee > ELC > VK1602 Leopard > Crusader

No, I usually don't even try to join a skirmish if I don't already have the tank with a decent crew in my garage.

Edit: Forgot some stuff.

Edited by _Goliard

Updated OP with some additions and edits...

Yes; especially if we're in "serious mode." Every edge you can get is needed.

Not sure the 13 90 is the worst case scenario...  I ran a PzIc in the BJ Penn tournament.  Unlike normal skirmishes, every battle counted.  So much gold spam.  

Low tiers get very expensive with gold spam... But something like the Pz1C really needs it; the front of my Locust will bounce a lot of standard AP from that thing.  

We got paid last night for skirmish 29. I guess it can take up to a week to get the gold.

Two separate deposits for Group and Alpha.

I re-trained with Credits for the Tier 3. But for anything 4+ I would use Gold or Re-train and play back up to 100%

I think my Cruiser IV commander is only 85% + vents :)

Some advice for a new Skirmish team.. be absolutely sure you know what you're getting into when you bring slow tanks like a Matilda or T29.

These tanks are fantastic in 15v15 pub meta, but when you've only got 3-6 tanks to control the whole map, the lack of mobility will dictate your strat. We've seen lots of teams bring these tanks and then either have to yolo them across open ground (and die to M8A1s, Comets etc.) or be forced to camp base (which is fundamentally a losing strategy).

The reverse is also true that Chaffees, Luchs, and Cromwells are almost always good picks if you can get them, especially to fill out remaining points. They give you a tremendous amount of flexibility and map control for a relatively small investment in tier points. Chaffees especially.. if you can get them, they almost always worth taking.

Chaffees especially.. if you can get them, they almost always worth taking.

Totally; even these Tier-VI STRONKHOLD SKORMUSHES the Chaffee is the best Tier-VI scout.

Mobility and view range will trump nearly everything else. First Tier-VII Tournament we did "fur realz" brought a ton of T29s, got bested by T71s and Comets.

We learned two things that night:

[1] Do NOT try and out-maneuver a more mobile enemy team.

[2] Be the more mobile enemy team.

Since then we have done insanely well for a group of scrubs by using our mobility to our advantage.

Totally; even these Tier-VI STRONKHOLD SKORMUSHES the Chaffee is the best Tier-VI scout.

Mobility and view range will trump nearly everything else. First Tier-VII Tournament we did "fur realz" brought a ton of T29s, got bested by T71s and Comets.

We learned two things that night:

[1] Do NOT try and out-maneuver a more mobile enemy team.

[2] Be the more mobile enemy team.

Since then we have done insanely well for a group of scrubs by using our mobility to our advantage.

I felt like an anchor trying to keep up with you guys in my T-34-85. That mobile setup wrecks damned near everything.