Sign in to follow this  
boxty

Twitch censoring recorded video with copyrighted music

Hi Twitch.tv streamers:

It appears that Twitch has started muting the sound on portions of recorded broadcasts/highlights that contain some copyrighted music. Par example, here's Dlur playing Tool:

http://www.twitch.tv/dlur100/c/4779068

No sound available.

In the middle of another recorded broadcast he plays Lady Ga Ga   :#   :tongue: and the sound is not muted.

It really sucks because I prefer watching the recorded broadcasts so that I can skip battles in tanks or on maps that aren't of interest to me and it's very boring without sound.  I hope you guys can find a workaround from the censorship.  :sad:

We’ve partnered with Audible Magic, which works closely with the recorded music industry, to scan past and future VODs for music owned or controlled by clients of Audible Magic. This includes in-game and ambient music.

This includes in-game and ambient music.

Lol, wut? So if the music in a game happens to be owned by a client of these clowns, they'll mute the stream of someone just playing the game?

If it's like youtube's system, any game that has a "non original" OST means GG vods, basically racing games, GTAs, and things like Hotline Miami, and if the system is as shitty as half these systems are they'll recognize your barking dog as a fucking copyrighted song. But yeah, GG twitch, not for the music but for the destruction of the vod system, at least the people i follow are already partenered and those will keep their vods for 60 days.

If it's like youtube's system, any game that has a "non original" OST means GG vods, basically racing games, GTAs, and things like Hotline Miami, and if the system is as shitty as half these systems are they'll recognize your barking dog as a fucking copyrighted song. But yeah, GG twitch, not for the music but for the destruction of the vod system, at least the people i follow are already partenered and those will keep their vods for 60 days.

Meanwhile Kevin Macleod tunes are all over youtube.

I don't see how they couldn't place an embedded flash link in the VODs to give the artists advertisement and recognition instead of blanking thirty minute blocks of audio. It seems this would be more fair to all parties involved.

Either Hitbox or another company will replace twitch like Facebook to Myspace, or there's going to be a popup of a twitch.tv royalty free music company/industry that's going to cut into the sales, recognition, and cultural impact of all of the artists within the sphere of audible magic that it was trying to protect in the first place. If twitch survives this, music isn't going to go away, so you're essentially handing it over to indie artists who want or are willing to be streamed for free recognition.

This is a mindblowingly dumb decision for the parties who had stakes in its creation...

...unless this whole thing is a publicity stunt to gain advertisement for twitch, just so they can roll it back later and get even more viewers now that they have a 'controversial topic' to hit the news. Doing this would also mask at the same time that they're no longer going to indefinitely save your videos, because no streamers will really care about that decision anymore once/if twitch rolls back on the copyrighted decision

I don't see how they couldn't place an embedded flash link in the VODs to give the artists advertisement and recognition instead of blanking thirty minute blocks of audio. It seems this would be more fair to all parties involved.

Because copyright lawyers mostly still live in the early 90s.