I have a Panther in my garage.  Been there for awhile, but I don't take it out much. 

I need help playing this thing.  I like it, I really do, I just can't buy a win in that tank to save my life. 

I love the RoF of the top gun, and it's accuracy.  Damage is not all that great.  My kill ratio in the Panther is about the lowest of all of my tanks.  I can't seem to get much done in this vehicle, and was looking for suggestions. 

I have been in a few battles with Panthers on my team.  In one case, the Panther on my team scored 11 kills, using the 75mm L/100.  Otherwise, I have seen scores of 5+ for Panther players quite often. 

I'm lucky if I get one.  Conversely, I play my VK3601 quite well, with either the 88mm or the Konisch.  If I could translate that skill from the VK to the Panther, I would be happy.  My playstyle is the support the front line, and snipe from medium to long range.  However, in a few cases it seems like, as soon as I get myself situated, either enemy arty finds me, or an enemy heavy decides to take on an "anti-sniper" role, and I find myself on the defensive, and pretty much finished. 

Any help would be appreciated.  I figured I would post this here, vs the regular WoT forums, because everyone here knows what they are talking about...

I've never played the Panther, but I've heard people talk about it a lot. One of the things I hear most often is the necessity of repositioning. The panther's definitely no brawler and will get torn up pretty fast if someone gets in its face, but at the same time the penetration on its gun is not always enough to get through the front of every tank it faces. It's a tank that should probably be on the second line, but that second line doesn't need to be precisely behind the tanks who are on the front line. In other words, on a map like Fisherman's Bay, you shouldn't go through town following the heavy tanks, but rather the best place to go is in the middle of the map on top of the hill. Use the houses for cover and get shots onto tanks while moving around a bunch. Panther has not bad mobility so you should definitely take advantage of it to get around.

DOUBLE BUSH, sorry caps lock was on. 

fire and manouver, that thing can rezoom instantly and misses nothing. do not to stay immobile if your spotted. get 6th sense.

would really help if you threw up a bunch of replays so we can see what your doing right and wrong. 

Another thing to note is that the Panther in game has 85mm thick frontal armor, and if it's like it is in RL it's angled at 55 degrees. Straight on this means an effective armor of ~148mm! So always angle that hull, but don't angle it too much or you'll end up showing your very thin and very flat sides. This is another thing that makes the Panther better at long range. The long range decreases AP and APCR penetration and also being at range decreases your size and makes it harder to shoot for stuff like your sides. Angle your front a lil bit and you'll be a tough cookie for any tier 6 tank and maybe some tier 7 tanks.

What equipment are you using, and what are your crew skills?

I didn't mind the Panther. I just got sick of being that one chump covering a flank by myself with heavies pushing on me while the rest of the team did the "Benny Hill Run" over the other side then spent the time getting shot in the cap zone wondering why we lost. The gun is awesome for Pen/Accuracy at it's tier, unfortunately it's underwhelming damage when VSing anything bigger then you means your as intimidating as a kitten with clipped nails. 2nd line sniper/ support fire for heavies is your best bet. As has been said, find some cover behind the main push and while the bigger guns reload, lay down a withering hail of fire to punish the enemy. Sounds good in theory but alas I couldn't always do it myself. It's the same issue I'm having with the Leo PTA at the moment, but that's a different issue for another thread.

Don't snipe from far back. Please don't snipe from far back. Sitting far back is a bad idea.

With any tank that has excessively fast fire rate and low damage, distance is not your friend. As a medium tank, expect to be spotted.

Play it as a second-line support, right next to heavies who will soak the damage while you damage the enemy.

What Servos said basically. You're second line support, your job is to ROF down enemies, also keep them tracked if possible (you can burn 1-2 shots every 8 seconds to keep someone tracked in the open, totally worth it)

Everything that this tank is, follows to the Panther 2. You lose your Super ROF, but gain a little armor/mobility and actually alpha, but your basic role is the same.