Elvenlord

How to British Medium Tanks

Okay, now that I have played my IS-4 to 200 battles I have decided to try and grind up the British Medium tree. In general Mediums are not my strong suit, but I love the way that the FV4202 looks and I want to succeed at this.

For this grind I am starting at the Comet. I have everything unlocked (thank you Free exp). What equipment should I use for the Comet? I am thinking Vstab, Rammer, and Optics?

What I want to know before playing is how to do well in this tank. Please provide replays if possible of good play, and I will definitely post some for critique.

I also plan to continue to use this thread on my way up the tree, and will hopefully learn how to play these tanks well.

I was going to write out a long post, but then I realized that you were in M-I-T.  If you see me in TS I can give you the rundown on the line up to the 7/1. (I've had the 4202 unlocked for a while now but I never bought it.)

The short and sweet is use hills, expect everyone to pen you (except troll mantlets), and dont play the Cent 1 stock.

These are the 2 I put in this morning. I thought that the El Halluf game a lot came together and I was doing the damage that I needed to do, until I died and watched helplessly as my team crumbled. Sigh

el-halluf-great-britain-comet-9126580158

This game I tried to go light their push down to the corner, but ended up getting stuck between an aggressive IS-2 and a T20 and died. Sigh again.

mountain-pass-great-britain-comet-882376

QuickyBaby is the worlds greatest Comet fanboy, he has a review of the tank and plays it on stream quite often (together with the rest of british mediums, which he loves). He is also quite good at it, so watching his videos might be useful. 

On his replay website (for some reason cant post the link here...) currently a Comet replay contest for 5k gold, so you will find lots of people posting lots of good games. 

I personally found that streams are more useful for learning, because you get to see all the games, not just a curated collection of the best (and luckiest) games.

It is useful to see how someone deals with a difficult situation, and good for morale to see that even players with much better skills than you derp sometimes...

Okay, I am now 50 battles into the Comet, I am actually enjoying the tank. I am also doing surprisingly well in it for how I see myself playing Meds. 

Crew is at 177% with all but the commander with camo and the commander having Sixth.

I have earnt 46k/100k for the first centurion.

Winrate: 56%

DPG: 983
Spot Ratio: 1.46

Kill Ratio: .46

Ave.EXP: 772

Wn8: 1505

shot_021_zps64179277.jpg

I am quite happy with this little tank and am looking forward to the rest of the line.

EDIT: Oh and a sidenote, I finally have more Wins than losses!!!!

Edited by Elvenlord

I unlocked the Cromwell myself a week ago but rage sold it a few days ago.

How does one play these paper mediums, I do not understand ._.

Even though they are apparently fuckin op, especially the Cromwell.

I unlocked the Cromwell myself a week ago but rage sold it a few days ago.

How does one play these paper mediums, I do not understand ._.

Even though they are apparently fuckin op, especially the Cromwell.

being a heavy player also trying to make the switch, im scared too lol

being a heavy player also trying to make the switch, im scared too lol

The nice part about the tier 7, 8 and 9 brit mediums is that they DO have a very well armoured turret and mantle. Not perfect, but quite troll. As such, you can bounce things if you only show your enemies your turret from the front, and move fast enough to prevent them from aiming carefully. Of course the rest is paper, but the armour is still much better than a lot of mediums, where the turret is quite weak (RU lower than tier 9, japanese, German (not E50), etc).

im just having trouble with it, somes games i do great 1500+ dmg other games i dont do shit and get 1-2 shot lol

A bit of shameless self-promotion. I have made a YouTube video (back from a few patches ago) showcasing the British mediums (Cromwell -> Cent 7/1 IIRC). You give that a go if you want to know how I like to play my Brits and how to do well when lowest tier in Cromwell and Comet.

I really dont get how the comet's expected value is so high, the tank is straight shit

u wot m8

The comet is tied with the T20 for best t7 medium.

First tank in the line I started to like was Cent 7/1 and FV4202 - FV is somehow more comfortable. Just stick behind hills, shoot here, peek there and at the end you have hps to trade. Comet has too low pen for this and Centurions are huge as a barn with landing area for arty shells on their back.

Cromwell is fun, but the gun has awful handling, while on paper looks good.

One thing with quickybaby... ignore him using the 20pdr on the 7/1. You will bleed credits and the extra exposure/not being a frigging rail gun makes it the inferior choice.

Besides the trollish turret and depression, Comet is a king 1v1 in close fight, get behind and ping ping even a tier 9 will fell on their knees. The problem is how to create such situations. I also wish I can shot gold with it all days.