Haswell

Fine Wine/Liquor Thread

I  tried to translate the first bottle of the topic, if you are still interested, did my best although my english isn't perfect especially regarding oenology terms..

With this wine "La Rivera" wants to remember the undeletable trace that Emperor Federico the 2nd (13th century), humanist and expert in falconry, left in the history of Murgia's hills.

"Il falcone" is a austere wine, complex and elegant that expresses the big oenologic potential of the typical varietes of the "doc" (certified origin) zone "Castel del Monte" : 70% Nero di Troia that gifts it with structure, charachter and elegance, and Montepulciano (30%) that gives it is harmony.

Left fermenting in french durmast barrels for at least 12 months and left resting for another year in bottle, it is fit for particularly tasty and rich foods like red meat, hunting preys and seasoned cheese, it can also be left aging with good results.

... and i can add that is rated as 'a wine of good quality and that deserves attention' on some italian sites of wine quality rating.

In conclusion, a good wine.

Have a good drink!

I've tried getting in to whisky since I had to give up the #420yoloswag lyfestyle.  I would say that my palate is reasonable enough to be able to enjoy and appreciate the distinction between all the varieties that I've sampled, but I couldn't precisely describe what the exact flavors are that I'm tasting like a true aficionado.  I prefer Islay types.  With that said, I've been enjoying a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year cask strength recently.  It's not subtle at all, but it is amazing.  It seems to be fairly highly rated for a bottle that can be had for $60-$70.       

If you like Laphroaig, then you owe it to yourself to try Ardbeg. I feel it is, by far, the most extreme of the Islays. It's my favorite, when going Islay. 

How do I into good single malts? Can't really taste what's so special about it. Maybe I'm just drinking it wrong.

This will sound stuck up, but Glenlivet/Glenfiddich are kinda like the Buicks of scotches: solid and reliable but not very exciting. 

More interesting examples are probably: The Macallan or Highland Park. Also, be sure to try an Islay. As someone once said, after you try an Islay you'll either be hooked or put off scotch altogether. Ardbeg is my recommendation for an Islay. 

As for drinking try this: Drink it neat with just a LITTLE bit of water (like a few drops). The water generally opens up the scotch and smooths some of the rougher edges.  

Trying to revisit the Nikka whisky from the barrel but it's so strong that it's hard to make anything out so I've added a few teaspoons of water. It's definitely sweet and a little spirity on the tongue, a hint of some kind of tart fruit... maybe green apples or something unripe? Develops into a sort of creamy malt that sticks around for a while and is very slow to fade. All I can get on the nose is some kind of spice, maybe cloves, and a bit of woodiness.

It's pretty good for the price. Will keep a bottle on hand!

PlkdE88.png

If you want something a bit more mellow try Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old. It's very smooth, sweet and caramelish. Really nice Speyside. There's a really interesting one called Ledaig, which is an island whisky. It's a special batch from Tobermoray which I originally got for my Dad as a present but I liked it so much that I bought some for myself.

I wish I had money so I could buy myself malts again.

Speakin' of fireball;

Gonna make that for Thanksgiving this year :)

Still a whisky noob but I really think the Hibiki 17 is fantastic. I've heard that the 12 is even better, so I can't wait to try that one.

Pretty much the only thing I drink anymore is whiskey (primarily Bourbons and Scotch) and high end tequila.  My prefered glass for both spirits is the Glencairn Whiskey Glass shown below.  For Tequila's, Don Julio 1942 is a good place to start.  For Bourbon, my house drinks usually rotate between Knob Creek, and Maker's Mark although they are a bit generic.  For some reason I also really like Jim Beam Devil's Cut (drinking it right now) although its not considered "good" bourbon by most.  While not a bourbon, I highly recommend Colorado Whiskey if you can find it in your area.  For Scotch, my house bottles are Macallan 12, and Oban 14.  For an Islay I really like Lagavulin 16.  All of these should be consumed at room temperature and neat.  You can add a few drops of water to open up the spirit, but don't add too much or you can ruin the flavor profile IMO.

41BzOt6JxfL.jpg

Time to revive this old ass thread, this time with more booze!

To start off, have some wines. I'm planning to pop open the Castello Banfi in the next few months for my birthday. Other three ouiboos are strictly under lock and key for aging.

zEqJ96x.jpg

To quench my desire to destroy my liver in the mean time, I picked up these two babies, first off is the Talisker 57° North. The Talisker 10yo is one of my all time favorites, let's see what its cousin can offer to me.

DZu7BFZ.jpg

T5GFhv4.jpg

Next, the Arran Armarone Cask Finish. A NAS dram, I first tried it over Christmas. As smooth as cute girl's backside, it also comes with several different shades of sweet. It would have ended up on my to-go list of sips if it were not so damn hard to find.

4538zDz.jpg

El78DyH.jpg

qV6qcrW.jpg

May I kill my liver with bliss.