rocketbrainsurgeon

SU-122-44: SerB's Bludgeon by MaxL_1023

Has to be the most precise and exhaustive analysis i've ever seen about a vehicle in WoT, also this thing with pref MM would be so fucking OP. If i ever want to get a premium TD i would jump directly to this.

I'll have to spend some time to read it, but it looks like it could actually help me with other tanks.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who refers to the BL-10 as the "finger of god"!

Hands down the best RBS article yet.

It's so good that based on the strength of the articles I'm going to buy this tank. Probably tonight. 

Max should work in WG marketing department.

I would PAY to have a companion video of him in a training room demonstrating all the techniques described. I "know" what he means, but seeing it in action on a point-by-point basis would be AMAZING.

Well done Max and well chose RBS.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who refers to the BL-10 as the "finger of god"!

Sorry, the true finger of god is an AP-92

Normally, I hate casemate TDs. Being pigeonholed into a role because of the limitations of the chassis is nothing but infuriating for me.

The SU-122-44 is the antidote for a case of the common casemates. The maneuverability, speed, and camo make it a very flexible tank and more akin to a medium than a TD. I probably play it closer to the "Close Fire Support" role than the "Assault Gun" role, but the beauty of the tank is that it can do both and ambush sniping exceedingly well.

Financially, the SU-122-44 is hugely profitable for me since I shoot AP almost exclusively. I've been netting 35-40k in this tank, which is on par with some of my premium tier 8 tanks.

All in all, it's a fantastic tank with a ridiculously high skill ceiling that I haven't even begun to approach. It's now my go-to tier 7 tank for platooning because it's fun, profitable, and can carry a game when its terrifying DPM surprises the enemy in a crossfire situation.

Thanks for the terrific article, MaxL. This tank is absolutely a great fit for the skilled players we've got on WoTLabs and, in my opinion, edges out the E-25 for the #1_LEAST_INFURIATING_PREMIUM_TD_NA spot.

To echo others, that was a fantastic article.  I haven't played the SU 122-44 much lately, as I postponed my Russian TD grind until I can complete some other lines, but this article has inspired me to knock the dust off it and do some credit grinding!

Man, reading this article made me remember why I liked the SU-122-44.  If only I didn't steal my russian TD crew for my Obj 140.

This one's quickly approaching my top 10 most played tanks. It's pure fun. You can even eke out okay to decent games on city maps. 

It is better then the KV-3 due to its versatility and mobility. IS is close, as the IS has 1.5x the HP and a turret. I would say the skill ceiling for the 122-44 is higher then both though.

The amount of work that you put into this article is astonishing!

Another thing to note is that the nerf to TD's camo upon firing did not apply to premium tanks, so it was actually a buff to all premium TD's.

edit:  Well, not exactly a buff, but they weren't nerfed like normal TD's.

It's interesting to see the concept of volume over precision in action, normally I play cautiously even in DPM tanks and try to make every shot count (and thus lose valuable time).

meh, I think camo net or optics are piss-poor third slots on the 122-44, 330 base is at the 'polishing a turd' prohibition level, and with camo net it doesn't really help as it's offensive vision that's the issue you face (OffVis = [HosCamo-spot]/[camo - HosSpot]).

If you're fairly comfortable in the tank, I'd  advocate gld vents rammer, rep med rations. Why? With your 6th bia camo crew (not too uncommon) you're sitting at 3700 dpm. (!) To put this in perspective, that's the same DPM as a max skilled STB (highest non TD DPM), and are surpassed by only a tortoise and 183. With how the HP pool is, you can do some clever hp trades and 390x2 will very frequently hit in the >10% <0% and Adren rush fucking breaks this thing at 4027 DPM (#Motherofgod) or 5.48 reload (Why you'd want to do something as batshit stupid as triggering adren)

As for the 'rations on a money maker?' argument, it's a bit of a minimax, where you're at 20k as your low end net, but with 70-90k much more frequently, and lets not forget, beyond stupid DPM. 

The SU-122-44 has standard tier 7 matchmaking, able to see battle tiers 7, 8 and 9. This corresponds to seeing matches where (at worst) tier 9 tanks are present. Unlike the E-25 and AT-15A, you do not lose the top battle tier (known as preferential matchmaking).

According to the Wiki, the AT 15A doesn't get preferential MM, either.  I think this is what I've heard before about it as well, as one more reason not to get the stupid thing.  Is this an error in the Wiki, or in Max's memory? 

According to the Wiki, the AT 15A doesn't get preferential MM, either.  I think this is what I've heard before about it as well, as one more reason not to get the stupid thing.  Is this an error in the Wiki, or in Max's memory? 

I thought the 15A had preferential MM, but I never used one myself. If it doesn't, then it is a complete piece of shit. 

Edit: It sees tier 9, therefore it is a complete piece of shit. I just assumed it had pref MM, since it barely has more firepower then the E-25 and the weakest part of the tank is where autoaim fires.

RBS you can correct that if you want - it would be helpful for a second set of eyes to catch stuff like this.