So, started developing carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrist. Now I could understand getting that in one wrist, but both at the same time? FML. 

*go ahead, get them jokes in*

So, I ordered an ergonomic keyboard which should help a bit. I have one now for my office at work, and its seemed to help a bit. My mouse is a gaming mouse and pretty ergo shaped: Worth getting a mousepad with a bit of a wrist rest on it? And, what has worked for anyone else in helping to get rid of this pain? Hell, even opening a screw top beer almost set me in tears a few nights ago. Thankfully these symptoms just started, but they've come on fast and really painful

Make sure your chair is the right height for your desk (at home and at work) and make sure your keyboard and mouse are the right height for that.  Just google desk ergonomics.  prevailing wisdom, at least as far as I know, is to not use a mouse wrist pad.  Your mouse should be at the proper height where you don't need a wristpad because your arm should hold it in proper alignment.  If there's a physical therapist in your area they probably have an occupational therapist on staff that can assist you with how to get set up properly to prevent doing further damage.

I have had it in my right wrist for years.  I was told by an orthopedic surgeon, that our wrists tend to roll in as we sleep.  He recommended wearing a brace at night.  It has kept me from needing surgery for about 10 years.

Might want to start wearing wrist braces 24/7, friend of mine did that on his doc's recommendation and didn't need surgery. He wears them now as a sort of memento ^^

Hm... maybe I should get some...

Then again, they'd interfere with my activities at night...

Such decisions...

I started getting this also a few months ago.  I ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8XIGKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it has worked great.  I didn't think it would help, but it just looks like a wrist band rather than a full hand brace, so I gave it a shot and now my hand feels much better.    I have never been a believer in these simple things, but it has seemed to work for me and it is a cheap option.

inb4 the dirty mind crowd.

...and he had issues with my stones...

I am currently working in a sub-acute and rehabilitation care facility. I have often brought forum posts regarding these matters to our therapy department for some insight. The Occupational Therapists are usually excited to help; a big part of their job is to find adaptive devices and techniques that allow people to continue to enjoy their daily activities unimpeded.

Desk height is very important and proper keyboard position with wrist support can also help prevent further damage and repetitive stress injuries. One idea that helped someone with essential hand tremors use his mouse was to anchor it to his forearm; this forces you to move the mouse less with your strained wrist muscles and more with the whole arm... His control improved and his wrist strain was eased.

Might try something like that?

One idea that helped someone with essential hand tremors use his mouse was to anchor it to his forearm; this forces you to move the mouse less with your strained wrist muscles and more with the whole arm... His control improved and his wrist strain was eased.

Might try something like that?

How would you even rig that? Sounds like it would get in the way, at least at the start. I don't have a desk atm and play sitting on the couch with my mousepad on the cushion next to me. I'm only 22 now, I worry about my wrists when I hit 40s or 50s. :S

So, another old moment

Like, seriously, Im only 30 but FML. Too many years in the Infantry, wrestling, and football :/

Lifted my right arm to stretch.

Arm went numb for a brief second

Stinger in the neck just starts freaking throbbing

FML

A good chiropractor might help you with that.

As a former 0311 to 0321 to 8654, I want to say that's just karma from you guys getting over at SOI... but I wont say it out loud!

Was in a rappelling accident causing 3x wrist surgeries and I have to say the ergo stuff helps, plus take a break hourly.

Thanks for your service.

I fucked my hands up playing way too much D2. Used to have pain 24/7.

Working out helps. Strong muscles help with correct posture. Also, the complete movements of exercise help dispose of the toxin buildup caused by the incomplete movements that cause it.

Check your posture. Good chair, right desk height, correct chair height in relation to your desk armrest height/width. Correct positioning of your gaming peripherals etcetera are all important.

Use controllers that help keep your hands relaxed. My hands are fairly large and wide, so for me a bigger mouse was a big difference. I used to have a Logitech G9x, which was great. Now I have a R.A.T.7, which in terms of mouse shape is even better. I take the somehwat dodgy sensor for granted, because the shape is more important to me.

I also use a Logitech G13 for my keyboard hand, which was a massive imrovement for me. Again, because of my largish hands, using the offset keys of a regular keyboard put my fingers in a badly contorted position. The shape of the G13 lets my hand just rest on top of it without stress.

Take breaks. When it hurts, make some complete movements with your fingers, "shake it off" and do something else for a while.

Don't be stupid, don't do what I did and play through the pain until it numbs. I can't even hold a small screwdriver for more than 5 minutes nowadays, as my hands will cramp up so bad I just drop it involuntarily. I can't give my wife a proper backrub without being in pain for hours afterwards. But hey, at least I am not in pain 24/7 anymore.