Inciatus

Breaking out of a slump

So a month or two ago I was regularly playing at a 25-2600. Since then I've been steadily dropping more and more. My damage is down, my kills are down. Now (not including tonight because 700+ ping is not helpful) I'm struggling to break 2000 WN8. At first I figured it was just unfortunate luck but after this long it is probably something I am doing wrong.

I think I know some of what I am doing wrong; but, since I am wanting to get out of the slump so bad, I'm being impatient, not doing what I need to do, and instead doing stupid things or doing things to fast/early and only making the situation worse.

What do y'all do to initially break out of a slump? Right now this is just insanely frustrating. 

Hell if I know, I just recently found this site and is now trying to break out of my 6k games slump where I "Played for Fun" Frankly, it could just be that youre playing tanks that have a high expected value. Try playing games with and without the STB-1 and see if there is a difference...

P.S. Stats Are Lie

P.P.S. I'm just little bitter

Honestly Though, Just kill more pubbies/Drink more (of my) tears50ml9z_zpsa80ba48f.gif

I notice when I start to play below 2000 WN8 (I can play about 2200), I just need to take a break for a couple of days, and then come back to it. I need to play rested, and without anything else that needs my attention. Thats what works for me, don't know if it will work for you. 

Hell if I know, I just recently found this site and is now trying to break out of my 6k games slump where I "Played for Fun" Frankly, it could just be that youre playing tanks that have a high expected value. Try playing games with and without the STB-1 and see if there is a difference...

P.S. Stats Are Lie

P.P.S. I'm just little bitter

So I suppose one issue is that I am bad at the STB-1 and cannot hit the broad side of a TOG from the inside.

I know that feel man. I was playing at a much higher level and my stats are slipping. Not sure what I can do to stop it, besides play through it.

I know that feel man. I was playing at a much higher level and my stats are slipping. Not sure what I can do to stop it, besides play through it.

But playing through it is so amazingly painful.

here's something I've found to be true.

When I quit a game, meaning take a break for long enough that I essentially forget how to play (3+ months at least) I come back and not only do I pick it up faster than I'd expected, I'm better than I was before in short order. I've seen this happen with multiple sabbaticals from League, and with my big WoT break. I quit WoT with no intention of coming back, and gave my account to my 15 yo brother, who played at a solid 47% level for ~1500 games. I came back because getting bored with League again, and after a month or so I'm playing at a blue level. Before, I was green. My break from WoT lasted from 8.4 (?) to 9.1.

Not really relevant, since it involves so much time... just thought I'd toss it out there.

So I suppose one issue is that I am bad at the STB-1 and cannot hit the broad side of a TOG from the inside.

NO! You're not bad at the STB-1 just....unfortunate.

Defeat him or he WILL haunt you...TYGJhBm.gif

But playing through it is so amazingly painful.

I agree. Play to the point where you get utterly disgusted, then it makes it easier to walk away. I just hit that point tonight. This helped:

ze5ygAP.jpg

When I get frustrated/tired, I press, making my slump worse.  Best to just take a break.

This is a good idea. I'm in a horrible slump right now.

Time to take a break.

Relevant post copy/pasted from  a similar topic:

When I notice a decline in stats, I step back and contemplate how knowledge leads to situational awareness, which leads to performance, and finally stats. Getting frustrated will only blind me and cause me to play poorly in my chase for stats, which then produces a vicious positive feedback loop.

Go take a small break and try to clear your mind of WoT: cook a meal, play an instrument, search for new music. Do anything that engages your brain. After a short while, come back and watch a few of the replays you performed poorly in. 

You should be able to study the gameplay from a slightly different prospective, allowing you to see flaws/mistakes you might have been oblivious to before. Focus on identifying gameplay mechanics you weren't employing and make note of them. Now you should be able to go back into battle and mitigate some of the mistakes you were previously making, as you're more aware of your actions. In my experience, this process increases my situational awareness, my performance, and ultimately my stats.

Here is another relevant--though slightly longer--post from

How to Make Yourself Listen to the Little Voice inside your Head?

I think it's really just a matter of discipline. When that voice starts talking, usually there's a rebuttal. Eg: "I should really adjust to put pressure on the 5 line, but if if I push the 9 line now I can make it in time to flank them." This rebuttal will almost always be mental-bait, luring you into a bad decision. Rather than continuing to discern what you could do, you become blind to the lure and that's the end of the process. The idea of flanking an entire lane leads you to push out into open, enemy territory, and then you'd find yourself back in the garage regretting it. Increasing the scope of your decision making should help alleviate the problem.

Once you've become more disciplined, you no longer have simple rebuttals, but complex battle plans. Eg: "I could adjust to put pressure on the 5 line, or I could push forward into the 9 line. If I push the 9 line, I expose myself to enemy fire. Pushing forward puts me in immediate danger with no support, while readjusting reconnects me with allies and helps prevent an ongoing enemy advance. If I adjust to the 5 line, I leave this flank open for the enemy to advance; however, I have teammates that can provide support if they advance, and they may stall in taking the opportunity and camp, essentially removing themselves from the battle. All things considered, it would probably be best to adjust to support the 5 line from a position that is defensible from the 9 line, if they push forward."

I found that asking myself "why are you doing this?" outloud while tanking helped prevent me from following mindless decisions. If I couldn't give a legitimate answer without stumbling, I simply stopped what I was doing and started this process. 

I'm having the same problem.  2 months ago, I was bouncing around the 1900 level recent.  Now, I'm down in the low 1700s.   I've been playing more higher tiers trying to get better and I think it's working, but the stats don't support it at first glance.

Ooh, that looks like stat denying, let me further explain.  Over my first 30 games in my O140, I ran it at a 1250 WN8.  I've been semi-attempting the Kewei method and running the O140 pretty much straight for a little while.  My WN8 with it is now up to 1600 which is a significant improvement, I feel more confident about how to use it, but still not contributing as much in the O140 as I was in tiers 6-8 previously.  So, I'm getting better at higher tier tanks, but not as good as I am with middle tier tanks so my stats are going down.

I'm trying to break out of this slump by playing the tanks I'm having trouble with, and working to figure out where I do dumb things, and how I can be more consistent.  My goal right now is to try to play my tier 10s to a 1700 WN8.  As I start making that goal more regularly, I'll raise the bar.

One hard thing was the realization that when I was 'playing for fun' running the tiers 6-8, I really wasn't getting any better, just padding my stats.  Now that I've put on the big boy pants, I'm getting schooled all over again at tier 10.

If the problem is because I've been pressing, getting impatient and the like... I try to go back to a tank that reinforces better habits.  Having been in an absolutely brutal slump of late, I finally took my own advice and switched from my fairly recent attempt to play mediums back to playing the T25/2.  I've always thought more highly of that tank than many in the community, and I don't have this urge to play "forward edge of the battle" with it.  I've only played a few with it so far, but I've been doing much better in those battles than my horrific attempts to finish out the Pershing.  I figure I'll stay on the T25/2 for a bit, and see where I go.

Take a break.

Take some OP, pubstomping tank out.

Find a platoon to dig you out.

Try to play for fun for a while.

I had about a week of fairly solid 2k+ WN8 days, then two days ago I ended the night with a 61% WR and barely over 1500 WN8. (I got carried to a lot of those wins)

Last night, OMFG I could do nothing right. I fell back on some of my trusty tanks that I usually do wery well in, and RNG made me its bitch. I had several games in the Rhm where 50% of my shots flew into the dirt or into orbit, and only about 50% of the shots that actually hit something even penned.

I made a lot of tactical errors and, compounded by the 0 damage crits and so many shots hitting the dirt or ghosting, I played no better than a tomato last night.

After 20 battles with about 15 of them being unusually bad, I had to quit before I threw my monitor out the window.

I wish I could say I'd take a week break from the game, but I'll probably be on tonight again, still trying to get to 55% overall.

I feel you guys, I have had about 2 weeks of bad play so far, I think it mostly comes down to evaluating yourself and what tactics you use.  At least for today I have broken out of it with 10 games and 2.5k+ wn8.

I did a Garbad style challenge where I did a little report on each game immediately after it. I found this really helped me focus, and also slowed down the pace of play a little bit to remove tilting between games. It really helped my play a lot.

I can't take a break.  I like playing too much.  Should have taken one yesterday though when I went no kidding 0-10 in my Super Persh.  Was rolling a 67% W/R in it until then.  That hurt.  Good teams, bad teams, didn't matter.  I doomed ten teams to a loss.  then I broke out with a Ace Mastery level game.  Aaaand, then 4 more losses.  Should have quit long before that, but it just got funny at some point.  Self fulfilling prophecy.

I have been getting my teeth beaten in exceptionaly for the last several days...I have been trying to get decent gun on kv 13.....the horror....even if I have a "good game"(not on kv 13 by the way have yet to have a decent game on that... let alone match my hp at min..) my team losses....last hurrah for kids days maby?

Dont worry,people get those bad days all the time....but sometimes those days will never end...

Good lord man, that gif in your sig makes my eyes hurt every time I see it.  It's one of handful of gifs that I have to hit ESC to make them stop (the other is Barks_Internally's flipping dog image)

I have been getting my teeth beaten in exceptionaly for the last several days...I have been trying to get decent gun on kv 13.....the horror....even if I have a "good game"(not on kv 13 by the way have yet to have a decent game on that... let alone match my hp at min..) my team losses....last hurrah for kids days maby?

Play up the KV-1 line first, up to the IS.  That way you'll have the top gun for the KV-13 already unlocked.

Take a break for a bit, start slowing down the pace of your battles (aka dont just die, then quit and start another). Look around where you died, think about where you lost hp where you shouldnt have. Play a super easy mode tank. My method of choice is to generally either make myself food or play another game for 30min-1h. /)