Shifty_101st

Advice for grinding out the IS7?

Hello WoTLabs community!!!

I am now starting to grind out the is7 due to the fact that the tank is very difficult to kill, it has a big boomstick, is relatively mobile, and I want my is6 crew to feel some love as well.

I am currently on the kv1s, and its pretty much fully upgraded except for the top engine (which I don't plan on getting just yet, the stock one is perfectly fine IMO) and I absolutely love the kv1s at the point in time.  Definitely a keeper.  But the main question I have is what should I expect from the rest of the tank line and how should I change up my play to make sure I impact the battle in each tank on that line.....

So far, it seems to me that the IS is just an uptiered kv1s, and I will definitely need help on how to deal with enemy tanks in this thing because I always grin in glee whenever I see an IS because they are so easy to kill.

I know the IS-3 was nerfed a bit and is a shadow of its former self, but I know I will be playing this tank because it is still a great tank

Im just scared to even think about playing the is8.....

Any tips on how to play this line as effectively as possible is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for those links, I will definitely look at them. And if you say the is8 isn't that bad, then I shouldn't be afraid to play the thing.  The only reason I am scared of the is8 is quite simply because they are relatively easy for me to take out.....and I'm not that great of a player...

Thanks for those links, I will definitely look at them. And if you say the is8 isn't that bad, then I shouldn't be afraid to play the thing.  The only reason I am scared of the is8 is quite simply because they are relatively easy for me to take out.....and I'm not that great of a player...

It is easy to take out, but like with many tanks, it should be fighting from cover. And its just got enough speed and armor to make it to good cover and have a slight hope of bouncing the occasional round when exposing from cover...

I personally like and kept the IS-8. It's armor is meh, it's mobility is better than decent and the gun... It's the same gun as whats on the IS-4.

Can confirm the IS8 can do work.  The biggest problem I've had with it thus far is the complete lack of gun depression AND elevation.  Aside from that, the gun is fantastic.

People tell you to abuse the speed, and that's doable to some extent, but the armor actually isn't that bad with the exemption of the lower plate. Its probably about on par with the 110, and the turret, being of staunch Russian rounded materiel is quite good for hull down. The alpha is difficult, as you sacrifice reload for something that doesn't exactly have any fear factor, but if you make your shots, you can out peekaboom most 400-390 alpha tanks. Also, Reverse sidescrape only. If you try to regular sidescrape, the pike nose is shown at a bad angle and is very easily penned.

TL;DR: Use your speed to get to good hull down positions, and from there out alpha what you can, or wait for your team to come help you.

-snip-

but the armor actually isn't that bad with the exemption of the lower plate. Its probably about on par with the 110

Sorry, that's just wrong. In practice the 110's frontal hull armor is overwhelmingly superior, and the IS-8's hull feels like an eggshell against what it faces.

Sorry, that's just wrong. In practice the 110's frontal hull armor is overwhelmingly superior, and the IS-8's hull feels like an eggshell against what it faces.

I'm thinking he ment the lfp not the hole front in general

I did terrible in IS-3 (45% WR) despite having the time of my life with the IS (65%) and IS-6 (59%) so I tried to figure out what went different and how to fix it for the IS-8 (60%).

What worked for me was this stuff:

1. Don't ever rely on your armor. Just pretend you have none - no not even on the turret. HP are your armor and bounces are random occurences. With this in mind you will be happy everytime you ding a shot instead of raging about your paper tank.

2. Could be my 4 skill crew on this thing.... the top gun has next to "no" bloom at all even hull traverse at 50 km/h seems negligible.

3. Its not a heavy. Its similar to an E-50 just from Russia. So you don't get any gun depression and you're not really good at sniping but can if necessary.

4. Learn reload times. Basically every game you will end up trading shoots sooner or later. You can trade 2:1 with everything that has 2-3 seconds more reload than you. T8s with 120mm+ guns (IS3/T34) and Stuff like E-75/E100/VKT9 etc.

5. Even as high tier, don't lead the charge, take some buddies with you - even 2 T7s are a real threat to you.

This tank made me a better player and is the foundation of my decision to start playing mediums. Loved it and got rewarded with the glorious IS-7.

TOTALLY WORTH IT  :thumbup: