I think, deep down, all of us know that WN8 doesn't always produce wins... Locking down lanes is a really good example of WN8 deficient play that can produce wins. Or those guys who would clog up the bridge on Sacred Valley prior to the changes; sideways TOGII...

I would go so far as to say some early yolos that set the tone and tempo of an initial engagement can directly lead to a win...

The mistake is that we have two completely different stats (WR and WN8) that use the same methodology to assign a color value (percentile of population).  People then naturally (and incorrectly) assume that, for example, a green WN8 should translate to a green WR and that's simply not the case.

Team play requires some people take the shitty, thankless jobs.  Most people (especially Americans hue) like to be the rockstar John Wayne superhero and someone else can do the shit work.  This site (and WN8 in general*) seems to glorify the second line support sniper and shits all over the scouts that light targets for them and the meatshield that takes the hits for them.  

As it turns out, most random pubs can do the second line support sniper role MUCH better than the other two.  Hence, as you are discovering, filling out the other two roles enables the rest of the team much more than redundantly filling the first.

* Yes, I'm aware of the API limitations.

Another session logged, this the most infuriating so far. Lost the game on Cliff due a client crash (logged back in to see I had driven off of the 2 line ridge and into the line of fire of 4 tanks), got blapped by arty twice, and, after watching a 46 percenter in a T-43 nearly toss the last game due to sheer stubbornness, called it quits for the night.

Won 6 of 9 battles for a 66.7% winrate for the session, making the total for the challenge so far 18 wins for 28 battles, or a 64.3% winrate. Doing pretty well, but we've still not gotten out of the statistical noise woods yet!

Stats for the night:

w3kjPy8.png

Replays are available here.

Team play requires some people take the shitty, thankless jobs.  Most people (especially Americans hue) like to be the rockstar John Wayne superhero and someone else can do the shit work.  This site (and WN8 in general*) seems to glorify the second line support sniper and shits all over the scouts that light targets for them and the meatshield that takes the hits for them.

The worst part is that there's no way to quantify "playing for the team" as far as I can tell. Even my XP per game is all over the place. Still, I am enjoying the hell out of this challenge!

So I looked at some of your black magic. The only thing that really stood out to me is that you seem a little hesitant in some beginning position situations. Everything else is pretty solid imo. Oh, also when you are cresting ridges such as the one on steppes, it's generally better to go to the side where you can peek up without exposing the rest of the tank. Obviously, you weren't getting shot that game, but I just wanted to mention that. 

So I looked at some of your black magic. The only thing that really stood out to me is that you seem a little hesitant in some beginning position situations. Everything else is pretty solid imo. Oh, also when you are cresting ridges such as the one on steppes, it's generally better to go to the side where you can peek up without exposing the rest of the tank. Obviously, you weren't getting shot that game, but I just wanted to mention that. 

Thanks for watching some of 'em, nova! The hesitance at the beginning of some of these games is intentional; I'm basically reading the team deployment and trying to fill in holes where necessary. For instance, on the Komarin loss in this last batch I started providing lights over the ridge in the SE corner in the beginning because a good chunk of my team moved to camp in the forest there, then moved to reinforce the middle island when they started moving up.

I've definitely got to keep an eye on my gameplay mechanics as I work my way into this "do the shitty work" playstyle. You're right that I needlessly exposed my hull over the ridge on Steppes more than I should have. I'll try to keep that in mind as I continue working on this challenge. Thanks for the advice!

Wow, that's a whole lot of potato. Can't win 'em all, I guess!

So, fellow WoTLabbers: what sample size would be sufficient to feel confident that this WN8-deficient playstyle is actually working? 100? 200? 500?

The question is, do you really want to solopub an FCM 50T for 200 games?

This.

100 games is enough, don't over do it, I would cry if I solo pub for 200 games.

This.

100 games is enough, don't over do it, I would cry if I solo pub for 200 games.

To be honest, I've actually been enjoying this challenge quite a bit. I'm working on a whole new skillset and not chasing numbers as is my wont. I could totally see myself working on this challenge for 200 games, especially since I'm not doing it exclusively.

inb4 losing streak makes me rage quit the challenge.

Do you think that this challenge would be better if you used a tank more suited for the role?  I know the FCM is fast and has a good HP pool, but I think your T-34-3 would fit this role better because of the strong turret and it's size and camo.

FCM = mobile, very flexible, DPM ~6.4 sec reload, and I found its health pool quite low most tank will roll high damage on you ~5-6 shots (rhm, ferdi, Jpanther2 can destroy you in ~2-3 shots) so use it wisely.

One awesome replay from 3 days ago: http://www.wotreplays.org/replay/53f213319c81a574fe010000.html

T-34-3 is another story.

But dear god, the FCM is unforgiving. It's got the worst WR of any tank I've played more than 50 games (except the ones I played as a complete newbie).  I have a 1300 WN8 in the tank with 1170 DPG, but have a sub 45% WR over 260 games.  I just can't get the tank to work 85% of the time.

I've watched replays, and still just can't get it.

I'm hoping that playing up the E-50 line will teach me more about how to play sniping mediums. 

FCM = mobile, very flexible, DPM ~6.4 sec reload

These are exactly the reasons why the FCM is well suited to doing the, *ahem*, bitch work. It's not well armored and it's not well camo'd, but it can get to where it needs to be fast and you're reasonably sure that a shot is going to pen the thing you're shooting at. It's also got enough camo and view range to do scouty work in a pinch for the TDs that can't do anything but hard camp in their chosen spot.

Yes, FCM is very unforgiving. Currently, I am training 2 sets of crew on my FCM:

Amx 50 100:

6gqVIin.jpg?2

50B:

Qz6bVxv.jpg?1

My FCM stats:

5Ft8bzV.jpg?1

One of the issue I have with the FCM is accuracy during turret rotation other than that everything else is fine. Camo is quite decent, on top of that the exterior camo gives the tank extra 5-10% camo.

Took a break from the challenge for a couple of days to play some strongholds and a mix of other tanks. Came back this morning and #rekt it. Won all my games this morning, but lost a game I played a couple of days ago which I've included in the replays.

Won 7 of 8 for the session (including the one-off loss that doesn't show in the quick summary) for an 87.5% winrate, bringing the totals for the challenge so far to 25 wins for 36 games played, or a winrate of 69.4%.

Stats:
FKFQjqc.png

Of this session's replays, I think Kharkov and Serene Coast are the most indicative of the WN8-deficient, good-for-the-win playstyle I've adopted for this challenge.

On Kharkov, I yolo'd an isolated E75 at the beginning of the match, eating his shots while an IS-6 worked his rear end. Taking out one of their brawly tier 9s for my FCM was a terrific trade, plus it secured a good chunk of the midfield for our team and freed the IS-6 to move on and work over some other enemies.
53f8a1859c81a57e84010000.jpg

On Serene Coast, I looked at our team composition and deployment and decided to protect our Lorraine 40t and Patton from flanking in the north portion of the map. It worked, then I flexed back to lay down some cross fire on the enemies at the peninsula.
53f8a1a19c81a57ef7010000.jpg

Short session tonight, but a good one. Won 5 of 6 games for a 83.3% session winrate, bringing the totals for the challenge so far to 30 wins for 42 games played, or a winrate of 71.4%. Still plugging away at getting that margin of error down!

Stats:
nKeVq3C.png

What do you guys think of the challenge so far? I think my WN8 for the challenge is somewhere in the green range, but I haven't been keeping track of it very well.

30 wins in 42 games is impressive any way you get it, especially solo in higher tiers. I am hesitant in yoloing into anything early game to stay in the game longer. I may have to re-think that in some situations.

I usually decide where I am going during countdown and go there regardless of my team and then flex back midgame where needed. Should I be re-thinking that as well?

What a refreshing thread. All about winning. Stat-wise, I am not entitled to comment it. But please allow me this digression.

Your self-challenge may have started on the 18th, but I think you already had it in you. I made the good habit of announcing my reloading in the heat of a battle when I am playing an autoloader in a pub. Of course, 99.99% of the time, my teammates don’t care at all and do there things. But in one rare instance, so rare that I vividly remember it even if it was a few weeks ago, my green mate adjourned is attack and retreat with me in a defensive position in F6 on Westfield. And when I announced that I was reloaded, we push city together for an effective clean up. Well, not so clean as I was so surprise and distracted by this sudden pub cooperation that I cut my flanking at one point one building too early and got crushed for it… leaving my good fortune teammate in a deadly-end. Nevertheless, that was one of my most satisfying pub game because I really felt for a change that I was on a battlefield, with a teammate, helping each other to win something.

I am telling you this because it was you, CarnonatedPork, in your T-34-3 or something. Of course, you had good motive for not going in there alone and wait for me. But I thought at that time that this good player had is nose in the dirt, doing the right thing at the right place in trying to regain an advantage at a key point of a battle. All of this WORKING WITH a yellow and not just using him as a meet shield for farming damages. At that point, you reconciled me with the too numerous blue/purple players calling everyone morons because we ruined THEIR GAME (i.e. their WN8). Or worst when they farm damages for 2 minutes in a far corner, in a fast tank, completely ignoring the siren in a still winable game. Not all of them of course. Probably a minority I should say. But a very visible and annoying one.

We, yellow players, may not be as gifted as most of you on Wotlabs. But some of us really care for the win and are trying hard to do the right thing, firstly by coming here to learn. For my part, at my age, I am not lacking the understanding of the game or the changing dynamic of a battle. But I am terrible at the execution under pressure where all my ingrams goes left field and where I don't listen to my little warning voice. But that's another story. My point, is like in real life, not everyone is equal on the battlefield. The true hero players are the ones who make their companions/comrades of fortune better, aiming for the win. Not the ones who care about their selfish epen (although I fully understand that this is a recreational game and everyone is entitle to reach their definition of fun).

Thanks CarbonatedPork. You have my respect.

Last night your epic Super Pershing YOLO against two hull down T34's and an M6 was one of the best game winning moves I've seen.  I distinctly remember sitting in my KV-5 trying to think of options when you banshee rushed them and forced them out of cover, allowing myself and the Cent to rip them apart.  You died in what was probably a ~700 WN8 game, but that move was the deciding factor that broke the game open.

What was so incredible to me is that I had thought about trying the same thing, but didn't think the sacrifice would be worth my HP.  You proved me wrong in a pretty spectacular way.  Needless to say, I was impressed.

What a refreshing thread. All about winning. Stat-wise, I am not entitled to comment it. But please allow me this digression.

Your self-challenge may have started on the 18th, but I think you already had it in you. I made the good habit of announcing my reloading in the heat of a battle when I am playing an autoloader in a pub. Of course, 99.99% of the time, my teammates don’t care at all and do there things. But in one rare instance, so rare that I vividly remember it even if it was a few weeks ago, my green mate adjourned is attack and retreat with me in a defensive position in F6 on Westfield. And when I announced that I was reloaded, we push city together for an effective clean up. Well, not so clean as I was so surprise and distracted by this sudden pub cooperation that I cut my flanking at one point one building too early and got crushed for it… leaving my good fortune teammate in a deadly-end. Nevertheless, that was one of my most satisfying pub game because I really felt for a change that I was on a battlefield, with a teammate, helping each other to win something.

I am telling you this because it was you, CarnonatedPork, in your T-34-3 or something. Of course, you had good motive for not going in there alone and wait for me. But I thought at that time that this good player had is nose in the dirt, doing the right thing at the right place in trying to regain an advantage at a key point of a battle. All of this WORKING WITH a yellow and not just using him as a meet shield for farming damages. At that point, you reconciled me with the too numerous blue/purple players calling everyone morons because we ruined THEIR GAME (i.e. their WN8). Or worst when they farm damages for 2 minutes in a far corner, in a fast tank, completely ignoring the siren in a still winable game. Not all of them of course. Probably a minority I should say. But a very visible and annoying one.

We, yellow players, may not be as gifted as most of you on Wotlabs. But some of us really care for the win and are trying hard to do the right thing, firstly by coming here to learn. For my part, at my age, I am not lacking the understanding of the game or the changing dynamic of a battle. But I am terrible at the execution under pressure where all my ingrams goes left field and where I don't listen to my little warning voice. But that's another story. My point, is like in real life, not everyone is equal on the battlefield. The true hero players are the ones who make their companions/comrades of fortune better, aiming for the win. Not the ones who care about their selfish epen (although I fully understand that this is a recreational game and everyone is entitle to reach their definition of fun).

Thanks CarbonatedPork. You have my respect.

CanadianWombat: I can't tell you how happy your recollection of this game makes me. Thank you so much for poasting it. I'd definitely agree that a good chunk of players have locked themselves in the "me" mindset instead of the "we" mindset and it's irritating to see players forgo teamwork in order to get their damage in. It is infinitely refreshing when you see someone make an obviously self-sacrificial play with the intent of saving a teammate's butt. Makes the game worth playing!

For what it's worth, I don't put a lot of emphasis on overall stats. I run a vanilla client these days because XVM presents mostly useless information. Anybody, regardless of the color of their name, can have an amazing game and carry their team to a victory. Unica are certainly able to do it with more regularity, but I'm not going to leave a teammate hanging out to dry based on their stats. Don't let the elitism get to you! We're all here to enjoy the game and it's so much more fun when people work together to achieve their goals.

Once again, thank you so much for your poast. It put a stupidly big grin on my face as I read it. :​D

30 wins in 42 games is impressive any way you get it, especially solo in higher tiers. I am hesitant in yoloing into anything early game to stay in the game longer. I may have to re-think that in some situations.

I usually decide where I am going during countdown and go there regardless of my team and then flex back midgame where needed. Should I be re-thinking that as well?

Thanks, Lightnin45! Yoloing is a useful tool in your toolbelt, but it should be used judiciously and only when you've got teammates in position to benefit from the yolo. That could be saving a teammate's butt, or it could be breaking up an entrenched enemy where your teammates can push in to deal damage when the enemy turns around to kill you.

As far as positioning goes, I almost always wait to see what my team is doing and try to fill in the gaps once I get a feel for where they're headed. Then again, that's because I've been playing a lot of flexible tanks like the FCM with the mobility to get to where they need to be. Some tanks are one-hit wonders that dictate where they need to be on the map. For example, it is almost always a good idea to send a SuperPershing to the brawliest area regardless of what you're team's doing

Last night your epic Super Pershing YOLO against two hull down T34's and an M6 was one of the best game winning moves I've seen.  I distinctly remember sitting in my KV-5 trying to think of options when you banshee rushed them and forced them out of cover, allowing myself and the Cent to rip them apart.  You died in what was probably a ~700 WN8 game, but that move was the deciding factor that broke the game open.

What was so incredible to me is that I had thought about trying the same thing, but didn't think the sacrifice would be worth my HP.  You proved me wrong in a pretty spectacular way.  Needless to say, I was impressed.

Otis, that game was epic! That yolo wouldn't have done anything useful were it not for your ability to clean up the rest of the team and nearly net a top gun. We pulled a win out of the jaws of defeat when most of our team's heavies decided to push across the bridge to the south flank of Swamp from the northern spawn. Terribad deployment. Thanks for the carry! :​D