bluech

What makes a good player in WOT. A commentary on why I think stats matter.

Let me preface this by saying this is my personal opinion developed largely around my experience in this game over the last few months. It is not intended to criticize or insult anyone who disagrees or simply does not perform in this game at the levels I consider to be good. It can however hopefully explain why I think some metrics (Henceforth “stats”) can be an adequate indication of player skill in World of Tanks.

We’ve all seen them, the countless forum posts, PM’s, in game messages and many other forms. Yet another person claiming “stats don’t matter” or “stats(WR especially is just luck). The idea of a random probability, much like the +/-25% RNG we experience every time we load up this game can determine the Win-8, WR, or efficiency of a player is quite prevalent in some sectors of the WOT community.

Assuming this is true a team of highly coordinated yellow and red players as rated by win-8 should theoretically be able to beat top clans (I’m talking top 20 here so mostly blue+ clans) consistently. We do see some examples of this all the time. Some red clan beats relic after they held the LZ for 84,938,943 days straight through pure dumb luck or an accidental hard counter, or simply a failure of the FC to appropriately respond. Unfortunately for this theory this kind of encounter doesn’t happen often. We consistently see these top 20 clans staying on the map and making more gold than anyone around them. Within these clans there is some flux in their abilities, based on specific strats, FC quality and other minute variables. While both -G- and bulba have significantly higher stats than otter they both lost in the latest clan invitational. Bulba without a contest -G- with a ferocity that made for one of the best set of games I’ve seen in a long time. So clearly a better strat or FC can bring a statistically hopeless battle well in the favor of another clan.

So then why don’t we see IOC on the map? To answer this we must answer the essential question of what makes a good player. Map knowledge and an encyclopedic memory of weak spots and armor values play a large part but the physical abilities, of aiming, leading a target and driving tanks are not that complicated. A yellow player will in a typical CW match bounce more shells than a blue but given the above example we should at least see competition between top 20 and yellow clans, something not often seen on the global map.

When thinking about this I began to wonder what makes these blue+ players so valuable to clans. The answer came when I started using vbadict to track my progress in sessions. I found that the days I was able to run a consistent 3k+ win-8 produced significantly better overal stats for the session than days where my few 8k+ win-8 games were outnumbered two to three or more by 1-1.5k win-8 games. Extend this pattern over 12k games and we now understand why StranaMechity(one of RDDT’s token unicums) has significantly better stats than I do. He has been more consistent in his level of play. Sure we could both play at the same level for a day but over the thousands of battles he has been much more consistent at that level of play.

More than anything this makes him appealing to me as a caller. I believe that the reason that top 20 clans consistently beat yellow clans is because of this consistency. The level of play required to get those stats will be (assuming a perfectly average game) be surpassed by half the blue team. Playing at what would give them in a pub game 2k+ win-8 and half the team will play at what is a 2k- win-8 game. These values are skewed by the fact that the players around them are so much more consistent than you’re average pubbie and tend to steal your damage more. Much to the Woe of many session stat counters :P. This points clearly to why these clans will win. They are able to bring a quality of players that enables their strat to be effective because they can count on them being consistently effective whereas on a yellow team even if half the team manages to play as well as a unicum for that game the other half according to statistical probability will do between 0 and 300 win-8’s worth of work causing them to lose.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

TL;DR consistent (good) play -> better stats -> more likely to get into a good clan -> a highly coordinated CONSISTENT group of players leads to victory on the map and in pubs.

That is why in my opinion stats do matter. The finer points of the effectiveness of a metric at determining this consistency is obviously up for discussion but that is a topic for another day.

For you CR/D guys:

Discuss.

BULBA barely has a higher overall WN7/winrate compared to OTTER. I don't think stats or FCs are really what made the 0-4 happen. What made it happen was a lack of caring on our end, which includes not getting enough people on, not scrimming, not making up strategies and discussing them at least an hour before the battle, etc. OTTER however prepared the entire week and it showed. Not only that, we can barely field two teams (If we are lucky), whereas OTTER can easily get 3-4 teams.

All that being said, I don't think stats matter too much in CW battles. Hell, take WarPagan in -G- for example. He has the lowest stats in the entire clan by quite a big gap, and yet he still performs well in CW matches. Experience beats stats, and that's also why PURPLE was an utter failure when fighting -G-. Stats can make a big difference when it comes to focus fire and out-playing certain people, but overall experience comes out on top. 

BULBA barely has a higher overall WN7/winrate compared to OTTER. I don't think stats or FCs are really what made the 0-4 happen. What made it happen was a lack of caring on our end, which includes not getting enough people on, not scrimming, not making up strategies and discussing them at least an hour before the battle, etc. OTTER however prepared the entire week and it showed. Not only that, we can barely field two teams (If we are lucky), whereas OTTER can easily get 3-4 teams.

All that being said, I don't think stats matter too much in CW battles. Hell, take WarPagan in -G- for example. He has the lowest stats in the entire clan by quite a big gap, and yet he still performs well in CW matches. Experience beats stats, and that's also why PURPLE was an utter failure when fighting -G-. Stats can make a big difference when it comes to focus fire and out-playing certain people, but overall experience comes out on top. 

Not to mention that there is always an element of luck on a game-to-game basis. I was calling for my clan one day in Tier 8 Stronghold skirmishes, and we ran into both Relic Aux and Relic Main, crushing Aux and beating Main by a fair margin. Did I out-call / win against them on that occasion? Yes. Does that mean that I'll win every time? No way in hell. Aux, I might be well-matched against, being in a clan of dark greens/blues primarily, but against dark purples, I would get crushed in the long run.

There's a reason WN8 isn't entirely trusted. There's also a reason why win rate isn't entirely trusted. See o7_shitlord_NA. Top clans beat yellow clans mostly because they make stupid mistakes like targeting individual tanks instead of the weaker ones or just poking out. 

VANDL literally copied our Ensk strat, the one that we've pretty much never lost with. We beat our own strat 15-0 or 15-1. E-100's kept poking out so easy shots on their turret faces were to be had. 

Warpagan never plays clan wars.

There's a reason WN8 isn't entirely trusted. There's also a reason why win rate isn't entirely trusted. See o7_shitlord_NA. Top clans beat yellow clans mostly because they make stupid mistakes like targeting individual tanks instead of the weaker ones or just poking out. 

VANDL literally copied our Ensk strat, the one that we've pretty much never lost with. We beat our own strat 15-0 or 15-1. E-100's kept poking out so easy shots on their turret faces were to be had. 

I do remember that one.

"Are they copying my strat or trying to make a mockery out of it?"

Stats don't matter - win rate is all luck!!!

I bet if you had the balls to 1v1 me you'd run crying to your mother!

-G- is just a bunch of hacking, gold spamming pay-to-win no-lifes living in their mother's basement!!

(Maybe this would be more convincing if I misspelled some words and substituted numbers instead of letters.)

Maybe a good metric would be something similar to WN789etc together with a standard deviation metric. This would show how consistent a player is with a tank. I sometimes get 10k WN8 games, a few 5-6k , and then a ton of 500-1k, showing clearly that I am sometimes very inconsistent in public matches. Looking only at my WN8 it is hard to realize that however. 

The other thing to think about is that one's performance in CW or organized battles can be quite different than the public performance. My experience is quite limited (CW with only one clan) but i noticed that taking risks, damage farming etc can lead to good WN8 and performance in pubs, but in CW you have to listen to the caller. The clan i was part of was very varied in stats (red, yellow, green) but we beat green and blue clans quite regularly, since everyone was clearly told what to do and when, and the calls were generally good. Of course, i cant comment about fights with and against top clans...

-G- is just a bunch of hacking, gold spamming pay-to-win no-lifes living in their mother's basement!!

(Maybe this would be more convincing if I misspelled some words and substituted numbers instead of letters.)

I'll 1v1 I get a 62a you get a comet. lets do this!

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/381460-ali-the-persian-dude-and-abcisyouandme-best-1v1ers/#topmost

I'll 1v1 I get a 62a you get a comet. lets do this!

You woudn't be saying that if you'd seen MaxL's Comet stats...