Mjolnir

When to use HEAT/ HEAT Mechanics

I recently asked a question about whether or not I should carry HEAT rounds in my Bat Chat 25t, answer was no, and I've been doing well without them.

After searching the forums, I couldn't find the answer to my question, also I checked the Wiki's to no avail.

So I was wondering when do you use HEAT, as most of the tanks that I've played in so far have APCR as there premium ammunition.

As I understand it so far is that HEAT like HE does not lose penetration over distance, but it get no normalization.

In what situations would it be necessary to use HEAT, and how exactly does HEAT work.

Thanks, 

Mjolnir

Rule of thumb with HEAT, don't shoot at spaced armour or tracks. Your shot will most likely get eaten up, even at angles you'd expect the shell to pen.

In a batchat you've got that great mobility to get around tanks and shoot them in the sides or back. Shooting HEAT would usually make you bounce shots you wouldn't otherwise bounce with APCR.

What you do use HEAT for is unsloped and quite 'smooth' armour, like most german tanks.

Rule of thumb with HEAT, don't shoot at spaced armour or tracks. Your shot will most likely get eaten up, even at angles you'd expect the shell to pen.

In a batchat you've got that great mobility to get around tanks and shoot them in the sides or back. Shooting HEAT would usually make you bounce shots you wouldn't otherwise bounce with APCR.

What you do use HEAT for is unsloped and quite 'smooth' armour, like most german tanks.

Thanks, makes sense now, I did notice a few no damage pens with HEAT, I've taken it off the tank now anyways.

Just got the E50M and I threw a few HEAT shells since I'm not reloading a clip, will be nice for E100's turret face.

The question of the HEAT Batchat is different than other mediums thanks to the autoloader and the tiny ammo count. In most mediums it's a no brainer, but a case can be made for an all APCR Bat.

When fighting an IS7, Maus or VK4502b frontally from a distance the Batchats APCR will struggle, not ideal when you're tryna get a reset or are keeping your distance because you're a one-shot. 

I've trialled both and in my opinion there's no reason not to take 2 clips of HEAT in a Bat, and a few big reasons why it is a good idea. The problem of spaced armour to the side can be easily circumvented with a bit of common sense aiming (far more easily than APCR to the front of tough hvys anyway). From the side, aim for flat surfaces like turret sides, hull faces, or even low through the tracks. I find it's really only the spaced armour sections that can actually stop HEAT as long as you respect the angles, even on HEAT absorbing monsters like E100s and Russian hvys. It is 330mm penetration at the end of the day...

HEAT on a batchat is a pretty bad idea - the targets you are struggling to pen with APCR should be dealt with in another way. Also it severely cripples you on the endgame - it's not uncommon to not be able to reload a full clip cause you've got mixed shells.

On other meds is a bad idea as well, but much less so.

Also let me elaborate on the "HEAT mechanics" side of your question:

Here is a topic which sums up the numbers of it all it includes the HEAT mechnics NOT covered by the wiki, which I think is what you're after. Basically, after a HEAT round hits tracks or spaced armour, it loses penetration quite dramatically (5% per 100mm travel) until it hits the rear armour, so all that 330mm goes to waste. APCR doesn't lose penetration in this way.

Hitting say, tracks at an angle therefore doesn't just increase the amount of armour that must be penetrated by HEAT, it also increases the distance the jet must travel before it reaches the armour (i.e. the 'space' also gets thicker with angle)

Understanding that will help you to use HEAT to its utmost in any situation.

- the targets you are struggling to pen with APCR should be dealt with in another way.

I find this far too generalising of a statement. I can recall so many pieces of anecdotal evidence in both pubs and competitive play where using HEAT has allowed me to carry the situation against a tough target, and there are no 'other ways'. 

I agree, ammo management can be an issue in drawn out pub games, but in my opinion this cannot possibly outweigh the versatility that HEAT brings to the Batchat

Thing is, how many times did you get fucked by ammo count?

Far less then I require the HEAT. Having incomplete clips is not the end of the world anyway, your opponents don't know how many you have left but you do, so you can still pick your engagements.

I guess it all comes down to playstyle anyway.The most important thing is to try out different setups until you find one that works.