Hurk

99% of how to gain skill tanking

the very first question on the poster... READ IT. 

Seems like I need to play 8833 more hours to be perfect at this game.

(Average game time is 7 minutes and 7 multiplied by 10,000 = 70,000. Which divided by 60 = 1166.7 (Rounded) so I need 8833 more hours to go. :D)

Seems like I need to play 8833 more hours to be perfect at this game.

(Average game time is 7 minutes and 7 multiplied by 10,000 = 70,000. Which divided by 60 = 1166.7 (Rounded) so I need 8833 more hours to go. :D)

I guess there are no experts...

Except bots.

That's what I tell my friends when I want them to play tanks.

Me: "You can't just learn everything in a few hours. It takes practice and commitment. You didn't get so good at League in a few hours, so why not spend a few more hours to get better?"

Friend: "Yeah, but I suck at tanks and I already know how to play League, so League."

Me: TF2Achievement__DoubleFacepalm_by_MrShri

"Yeah, but I suck at tanks and I already know how to play League, so League."

On the other hand, this kind of attitude lets you stick with something long enough to actually master it, as opposed to getting distracted by shiny new games all the time and sucking at everything.

And there are people with 40k+ battles and <300 WN8

Practice is certainly important, but 99% I would say no.

repetition =/= practise. To improve you need to push your boundaries, learn new stuff, and all that jizz...

There is a big difference between showing up and practicing.  People that are still bad after that many matches are either at their skill cap, just showing up, or plain don't care.   I see the same thing in the gym... people sitting on the stationary bikes reading a book.  You won't become Lance Armstrong that way either. 

I see these people regularly, and I just gotta wonder.  Are they bots?  or are they maybe like some sort of shared account in a internet cafe somewhere?  it just seems nonsensical that someone could do something that much and not even be remotely competant at it.

And I agree 100% with Hurk.  You can only improve at a task so much via study, to truly master it you need practical experience, and a lot of it.

I see these people regularly, and I just gotta wonder.  Are they bots?  or are they maybe like some sort of shared account in a internet cafe somewhere?  it just seems nonsensical that someone could do something that much and not even be remotely competant at it.

Competence is not a goal for everyone who plays games. Just look at the popularity and endless hours sunk into games where competence isn't even possible (Farmville etc). 

Competence is not a goal for everyone who plays games. Just look at the popularity and endless hours sunk into games where competence isn't even possible (Farmville etc). 

I'm laughing, trying to imagine what Farmville rage would be like:

"No, you IDIOT!!!  You don't plant trees on the FRONT of your FARM!!!  Freekin' nuuuubs!  Harvest those damn blueberries FASTER!!!!  REMOVE_TRACTORS_FROM_THE_GAEM!!!!   Pff.  L2F, skreb!"

Back on topic - this is something that I've been thinking about recently.  Not just clicking 'Battle' over and over again, and moving blindly forward, but making sure I (more) rigorously follow a pattern.  

1)Review the tank stats before dropping in, remind myself of any armor weakspots I need to think about hiding.  

2) Review the teams on drop in, see if anything stands out that might be tactically useful (nine times out of ten, it just looks like a "standard" blob).  

3) Try to have a plan for first contact, complete with a retreat vector and fallback location.  

4) Don't tunnel-vision once I engage, try to remain cognizant of what's going on in the overall battle.  

It ain't easy.

people pick at lint too, doesnt mean the whole cloth isnt still there. but feel free to mock the headline and ignore the content.