Sign in to follow this  
westybig

t1 heavy big blob of fail?

just bought a t1 heavy and gold crew because the E5 is the current on track event and in 4 games ive had i am not impressed with tank. firstly it has garbage armour no gun mantlet to speak of. i tried this hull down v a kv1 which is the t1s main competitor in 5s and he just auto pen me through turret with AP. armour seem usuable against 4s and below thats bout it. gun is fairly garbage as well 3.7 second reload is horrible for what it does compared to kv1 85mm 4.5 second reload for far better results. so my current thoughts are to run this as a second line sniper sort of tank because i was going to try and play a kind of hull down approach but that dosent seem feasible even in tier 5.

Your numbers are a bit off, the KV is a 4.3 sec reload, T1 has a 3.1 sec reload. That's a loooot better than 4.5 vs 3.7. Im assuming your T1 crew is bad?

The T1 shouldn't have a problem going hulldown. The turret sucks, but who cares its still 100-130mm. Its like T20 hulldown, not T29 hulldown. You don't do it to bounce shots.

i have 100% crew with rammer and its 3.7 i have no idea where you got 3.1 from but your wrong. i went optics over vents but thst not gonna bring it down to 3.1. yeah i think sidescraping is the best option ive tried it a bit and it seems to work fairly well. still gotta be careful with the turret but.

i have 100% crew with rammer and its 3.7 i have no idea where you got 3.1 from but your wrong. i went optics over vents but thst not gonna bring it down to 3.1. yeah i think sidescraping is the best option ive tried it a bit and it seems to work fairly well. still gotta be careful with the turret but.

With vents it goes down to 3,04 sec (from the 3,1 sec that it already is).

shot_005_zpsfefb952c.jpg

The T1HT is the one Tier 5 I do the best with. It may take some getting used to.

I play it like a very big medium, use the mobility, nice gun depression. Go hull down, use hills, try to engage at range.

If you see a KV1, avoid sitting face to face with him unless you are at long enough range, in which case the T1 accuracy helps.

If I can do OK with the T1, surely it's got to be a good tank.

Hulldown for reduced expusure and not armour. Alsi, ypu have lots of HP and dpm and weight thrice as much as most of the tanks you face. Act like a slow top speed medium, try not to get shot too much by 120+ pen guns and gun down everything in your path.

I just got my T1 Heavy, and I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have found side scraping and diamond angling the tank produces a lot of bounces. Plus the gun, and ROF are just beautiful.

Hoping they buff it when they give it the HD model.

Most sources have the T1 (and some of the M6 models for that matter) with 63.5mm to 50.8mm side armor and 50.8mm rear.

Not a huge buff but may actually allow you to angle somewhat instead of having your sides pierced by everything.

The big buff would be it apparently had a 27 MPH top speed. (43.5 Kph)

I really enjoy my T1, and use it as my US Heavy crewtrainer. I'm currently doing my 3rd crew in it. Even with a 75% starter crew, it isn't bad and when you get over 100% and working on your 1st skill it really starts to shine for me.

I too play it as a sort of heavy/med hybrid. Its quite fast and when angled it bounces a surprising amount of shots. Mostly because at tier 5, most players dont aim for weakspots. You can DPM down a KV1 or a VK quite easily and be the heavy tank. In higher tier games...not so much. Stay back in 2nd line or you can play the heavy med role.

I just find it a real fun tank to play, just as its big brother the M6.

Just rebought mine, played two games and I love it already. The frontal armour is good against 5s, and the gun works fine against 6s, and it's decently manoeuvrable and has good gun depression. By far the most comfortable tier 5 heavy for me.

Loved the T1, it's still one of my favorite tanks.  Rams like a boss and its gun just chews through things.  Like other relatively quick tanks, you have to be careful not to over-extend, especially since it has no side armor to speak of and is big as a barn.

The T1 is an evil bully when top tier. Anything below your tier except some Tier 4 TDs will have issues penning you, even the sides of angled because tracks and skirts cover most of the sides. Many Tier 5s with lower pen guns will have trouble for the same reason. Front is well-armored for the tier, even better than an unangled KV-1, IMO, although of course a smart KV-1 driver uses his superior side armor to angle much better than a T1 can against higher-pen enemies.

Gun is roughly equivalent in quality to the KV-1's 85mm; I give the T1's 76mm the slight advantage due to slightly better pen.

Mobility is absurdly good for a heavy. Beats most mediums uphill.

And ramming is sooooooooooooooo much fun. >:D

I too enjoyed the T1 over the BRD and KV-1.  The mobility makes it better at fighting bottom tier.  Brawling in the open with a KV-1 is just playing to his strengths.  You get to bully some tanks, but you can also flex and RTB.  

That said, after playing 430 games in it for crew training and credits, I sold it because it isn't that fun at tier 7.  I'd rather use a medium or my crusader.

The T1 is simply the best Tier 5 HT IMO.

Yes, the BDR has a fantastic gun. It can hurt higher tier tanks more easily. Problem is, it has craptacular armor that even lower tier tanks pen easily, even through the front, it has meh mobility, and it has crap view range. It's fine providing fire support as middle or bottom tier, but a top tier heavy has to preferably have armor as well as firepower, or at least mobility and firepower like an AMX hundo. Firepower alone is gonna be a problem as a top tier heavy. You're eating up heavy tank MM points but effectively driving a thin-skinned, blind, moderately mobile TD. Decent tank, not so great as a top tier bully.

Yes the KV-1 can be fantastic. Weak mobility but not to the point of being hilariously unworkable like a T95. Armor is excellent - about the same frontally a T1, but with better side armor really, allowing you to angle more. Three solid guns to choose from. The problem is that the only real reason it bullies most lower tier tanks is because people are too fucking stupid to leverage the KV-1's potentially problematic combination of weak view range and weak mobility against it. Even a moderate-pen Tier 4 medium should be able to play superior mobility well to get relatively flat side and rear shots by disengaging and reengaging as necessary. The KV-1 succeeds because people are often too stupid to do this. The KV-1 is also heavily disadvantaged when lower tier because of the bad view range and mobility. Spamming 122 HE will allow it to get some digs in before dying to a higher tier opponent, but die it will.

The T1 has a combination of workable (not excellent) view range, sufficient pen and firepower, and medium-ish mobility to really be used well when bottom tier as well as being a true bully against even well-played lower tiers. Having a horsepower:weight ratio that shames most mediums means chasing down medium tanks and light TDs in town, as well as keeping up with mediums in cross-country movement due to superior uphill performance.

And of course the Brits and Krauts don't truly come into the discussion of proper Tier 5 HTs... ;)

While the turning isn't hot, with the top engine the T1 is pretty quick, quicker than some Mediums. I've changed the course of the battle a few times because I was able to lug my heavy ass across the map to support a falling flank (that has also gotten me killed also), its also the ram king as others mentioned, the armor, weight, and the fact how fast it can get up to speed makes a dangerous in its own right