Mogymog

Display Driver crashing using Improved Graphics

So, like everyone when the improved graphics first came out I used it, but it caused massive problems so stooped using it. Recently as in the past few days after like 2 patches I figured I'd try it again, it looks really nice but after 1-2 games it starts black then white screening and giving me the damned 'Display driver has crashed' error forcing me to terminate WOT and restart it. I've tried 2 different driver versions, I've tried a few things I found on the wot forums, nothing seems to work. One of those was disabling vertical sync in both the game which was off, and the Nvidia display driver control panel, didn't help either. So, am wondering if anyone else might have a solution?

I5-3570k

Nvidia 660GTX

340.52 latest drivers

That sounds like a problem with the card.  Have you updated the drivers?  Try uninstalling all your drivers and re installing the latest version.  What wattage is your PSU?

EDIT: Didn't read the last line.  I fail.

its an 850+, so easily has enough power.. and yeah, I've done all the driver uninstall/reinstall stuff. But it only happens on WOT and only using the improved graphics. So, if it is my card, it's a very selective flaw in it.

Something in the same ballpark happened to my friend a few weeks ago.  Do you have any form of cooling in your system?  The improved graphics could be causing your card to overheat, whereas other games don't stress your card as much.

I'm no expert, so if anyone has any more experience than me, please take over! :)

I have the exact specs, maybe a different i5, but I'm on 350.42 as well. Make all settings in Nvidia panel default, and then try playing around with the settings in the game. Outside of that, it might just be the card. Compressed air is very helpful if your system is dusty. 

Is your GTX660 a retail version or the OEM version? The GTX660 OEM is a totally different card from the retail.

Ok, well trying it again. Apparently, if I don't change /any/ of the settings in improved mode, it works fine. So, I have no idea what overall was causing it, one of the sliders apparently didn't agree with my card and caused the problem.

poor code can crash a video card, but its not easy to do. you are more likely to crash the game. 

however, the game causing your card to use a feature/more ram than other games is pretty common and may be showing you a flaw that your other games just dont run into. 

run the wot repair tool (i forget what its called, its an exe in the game folder) and read the support forums on how to clear the texture cache and delete your settings configuration file. there were bugs a few patches back for some people where the settings file would contain some garbage and cause their clients to crash. 

really though, a video card driver crash is almost always the card at fault. you can get a tool like riva tuner and try underclocking the card and see if you can reproduce the result... underclocking will prevent the card from running as hot and prevent many power draw based failures as well, so its a great way to diagnose a failing card. 

really though, a video card driver crash is almost always the card at fault. you can get a tool like riva tuner and try underclocking the card and see if you can reproduce the result... underclocking will prevent the card from running as hot and prevent many power draw based failures as well, so its a great way to diagnose a failing card. 

I have to second this, it sounds like a heat problem OP.  Just because the "driver stopped working" or "display driver crashed" doesn't generally mean the problem is the driver, it means the card stopped responding to the driver's calls.

Make sure you get all the dust out of the case, make sure you've got all your case fans working, and that you have good airflow.

Also, I assume you are using GForce Experience to keep your driver up to date?  If you aren't, you should be.

What brand is the card?  Some card makers have reputations for problematic cards on the GTX660 series.

The only idea I would of had was the PSU not having enough power, back when I was playing BF3 with my Radeon HD7750, on a 400w PSU (which was on the minimum) sometimes the display driver would crash, because the card ran out of power lol. But you have an 850w PSU so thats out.

I hope its not a common 3570K/GTX660 problem.. i literally just bought a 3570K to upgrade yesterday

oh, one other (extremely rare) possibility, the HDMI sound card can sometimes interfere with the IRQ requests when there is also a system sound card present. if you are not using HDMI audio, disable the device in device manager. if you do use HDMI audio, then disable the normal onboard sound card.

Well it started happening again, Had a bunch of games it was fine. 2nd match today it did it. My temps aren't that bad, it's only 52c for my card, which is well within it's tolerance level and acceptable. So meh, clearly it's just crappy game code, and I should just live with it. :P