halphalphalp

Help with fat medium tanks that cannot be hidden?

So I've heard a lot of people give advice like "just play it like a medium" for a lot of vehicles especially heavies that have no armor. I am pretty new to this game and especially to medium tanks, just got my first ones 3 days ago actually. Don't be fooled by my number of games played most of those were afk...but I am taking the game more seriously now and not just playing for the grind (thats why I'm here now of course). 

I started with TD and arties, realized I cannot change the course of a battle with one, and now I want to learn mediums. I went ahead and picked all the worst lines to start off in (chinese, british, french heavies and the FCM 40 t which are considered "medium"). I noticed that these tanks cannot be hidden well regardless of camo (exception for some chinese) so my question is how do you play a "fat" medium tank that can't hide or is too slow(chinese)?

Feel free to state some obvious points because I am a beginner. Also some specific issues are open maps with hills/desert...always do poorly in those I do much better in cities. I try to follow heavies into battle beacuse obviously I can't frontline, but I end up being the distraction for them instead and the enemies just target my weaker armor instead of the heavy. When I go to the frontline to spot enemies I peek out of cover or over hills but being fat/slow means they always spot me at the same time and rush me cause I got paper armor.

Edit: my tanks that I run into these problems with are british & chinese (tier 6+) and the FCM 50t. Any tank-specific advice is appreciated.

Edited by halphalphalp

well admitting that you botted/ afk whatever probly wont earn you any brownie points but at least your honest. all depends on the individual tank i mean how basic is your wot knowledge? making sure your tank fits behind a bush properly, moving more than 15m behind to shoot without bieng spotted, if you have good gun depression(not chinese) utilize dips and bumps in the terrian to make your tank as small as possible and olny expose turret. as for map guides check out selas and garbads threads in the purple poaster place they have excellent map positioning guides

What mediums are you talking about? The FCM? it will be easier to give a good answer if you are specific about the mediums you want help with.

Chinese mediums (at least the t9/10 ones ) have some of the best camo values for mediums, so you should not have trouble hiding with them or you are not fully aware of the spotting mechanics.

However, the phrase "play like a medium" basically means that you take a shot, relocate, be an opportunistic biatch and exploit distracted enemies.

This playstyle is true especially for vehicles like the FCM, which have no armor but a rather good gun: snipe from afar, flex around, flank. You got the mobility.

basically you should avoid direct confrontation (brawling) as you will - in general - make a subpar hp trade.

Right I'll edit the main topic for some more info as well as restate in this post. 

My current ones I want help with are the tier 6 british and chinese meds (as well as their later tiers if played differently) and the FCM 50t.

I would say my WOT general knowledge is good, I understand weakspots, almost all game mechanics, I use xmv and a variety of aiming/map/other mods.

yeah i agree the general rule for meds is that trading hp is a last resort. also never sit in one area and fight for to long, try to start reading the map as much as you can as a med its your responsibility to fill gaps in defense, exploit gaps and support heavy pushes. from what i gather about chinese tanks (ive olny played up to type 58 myself) seem to have stronk turrets with big inaccurate boomsticks so you might want to check out some brawling guides if thats the path you want to take

Anything on open field maps that have few buildings? I really hate those. Any tips there would be great. I can never flank anything since I get spotted long before I ever make it around a hill. I don't want to hang back and snipe because like I said earlier that doesn't help the team win.

Well it seems to me you are asking for a guide to play the game and win.

What you need to do is break this down into several factors:

• Game Mechanics
  • Map Knowledge
  • Tank Knowledge
  • Situational Awareness / Strategy

Out of this the game is composed.

From the above I read that you sometimes do not understand why you are spotted so very quickly. This may hint at a lacking knowledge of spotting mechanics (most of the time) or map knowledge (rest of the time). Either way: You should choose a way to mitigate the risk of being spotted. Either you do this with assistance of terrain features or cover.

What I read next is the question for tank advice. All I can do there is redirect your question to the other sub-forums where individual tanks are discussed. What you do not find there you have to fill in with your own research.

Chinese meds have (as mentioned above) strong turrents and thus should employ hull down tactics. They have  rather inaccurate high alpha guns with los depression, which forces you either take opportunistic shots from well-researched positions (as even the slightest bump in terrain may throw you off; => Map Knowlede)) or go brawl as a second line supporter.

You need to flex with those tanks around the field to employ different angles and try to find an opportunity to flank the enemy. You can fill in whatever role is needed: TD (by high alpha), scout (mobility and viewrange), heavy in hull down (hard turret), or supporter.

The FCM however plays a bit different. Its big like a barn and hard to hide. Thus you have to employ hard cover more often. With your depression you can use hills to peek over. Take a shot or two, then move to another useful spot (=> Spotting/Camo mechanics; Map Awareness). Your strength lies in the accurate gun, so sniping is basically the go-to tactic. However, the key lies in _where_ you snipe, so that the damage benefits your team and eases winning a flank (Map Knowledge, Map Awareness). Late game you can then go closer / close quarter and employ your massive HP pool or even ram some lighter foes into oblivion.

Okay, thats about it for a quick explanation. You should do some more research on the topics yourself and later ask more specific questions - these are more likely to be answered.

Hope that helps.

PS: Cant help you much on the british tank line, as I dont own them. Only thing I know that the Comet  Cromwell is a blazingly fast and annoying med to deal with, as it constantly puts rounds out...

-edit: Thanks for the heads up, corrected

Right I'll edit the main topic for some more info as well as restate in this post. 

My current ones I want help with are the tier 6 british and chinese meds (as well as their later tiers if played differently) and the FCM 50t.

I would say my WOT general knowledge is good, I understand weakspots, almost all game mechanics, I use xmv and a variety of aiming/map/other mods.

Cromwell. Use that awesome engine to relocate and harass with your rather nippy gun. Dont play hull down games. Don't hang around for return fire. 

Comet (the next one along) is slower, but has great gun depression/dps and a tiny turret. The turrett can be hard to hit if hull down, plus its alot stronger that the cromwell's. Just don't try and rely on it. 

PS: Cant help you much on the british tank line, as I dont own them. Only thing I know that the Comet is a blazingly fast and annoying med to deal with, as it constantly puts rounds out...

It's the Cromwell that is fast. The Comet's speed is just fast-ish-average.

And Cromwell so happens to be the tier 6 one.

Cromwell's a fun little tank, it's got speed and a decent pew pew gun with frankly, quite terrible gun handling. As for how to do well in it, generally what s!Gm4 said, all the usual stuff.

The most important thing for a medium driver remains situational awareness. Be aware of what can shoot you and from where. Take note of possible gaps you can take advantage of to flank and shoot a distracted tank. Remember your speed and abuse it when you need to flex and get to another flank. Generally the idea is to try to shoot tanks that are distracted and avoid peeking out to trade shots with another tank unless confident. That's not saying you must take absolutely no damage. Use your health as bargaining chips, sacrifice when necessary but don't throw in the whole lot too early before the game is decided.

The Cromwell's a pretty fun tank. You'll like it after you get over the problems to do with armour.

Chinese mediums have really good (Russian cloaking devices) camo so they should not have problems, with tanks such as the FCM your best bet is to hug hard cover as much as you can and avoid common camping grounds/open fields. Holding back and letting others go first is also a good idea in some situations but it's important to know when to be aggressive.

I'm certainly not the greatest with the FCM, but I'm definitely not terrible.

The FCM is not a tank you really want to brawl with due to the module and crew member damage it is prone to. It can be bouncy is some areas, so IMO you don't necessarily have to play it in the back and snipe. You just don't want to go head to head with and IS3 or the like .

This goes for nearly every tank, but don't trade shots with it. You want to take shots without receiving any in return ( is a pretty soft tank except in some certain areas ) again, due to proneness to crew and module damage.

How about you create a new account and start at tier 1 like the rest of us! Botting your way to high tier vehicles is not how you learn to play.