_Dia

Elevating your Gameplay

_Dia,

Thanks for the effort.  Good stuff.  

You do sound elitest though.   I'm about as good as I am ever going to get.  I'm not handicapped, or crippled - I just don't have the ability or understanding to do what purples do.  I'm pretty sure I don't understand all the basics of the game, nor do I know how to learn what I don't know that I don't know.  I average 1400 damage in an IS6.  And that is with some incredible games thrown into the average.  If you throw out the outliers, I'm more of a 3 shots of damage and I consider it a good game.  That said, I'm still in the top 10(ish) percent.  Which isn't bad unless you're in the top 1% and comparing.

I can explain pretty much everything that you covered.  I can explain angling, weak spots, snap shotting, deployments based on enemy comp, but I can't seem to actually do it.  Maybe I should become a teacher or something...

Definitely appreciate the input and I think you've found a very good way to explain difficult concepts in an easy to understand manner.  Thanks again for the effort.

Lastly, I wish you Blues and Purples would stop suffering so much from Dunning Kruger.  You think that what you do is so easy when what you do puts you into the top 1% of the population.  It isn't easy and there are capable people who are unable to do what you do who are not handicapped or mentally deficient.

_Dia,

You do sound elitest though.   I'm about as good as I am ever going to get.  I'm not handicapped, or crippled - I just don't have the ability or understanding to do what purples do.  

This is like saying "I won't ever be good at algebra because I couldn't understand division in elementary school". Don't have that mindset. 56% and 1756 WN8. There's a lot of room for improvement that I'm sure I would be able to point out, and that you're probably aware of but just don't really notice yet. Streams are the easiest way that I can think of that can be of a huge benefit. Think about what you would do, watch what the streamer does, and try to figure out or ask why they did X.  

I can explain pretty much everything that you covered.  I can explain angling, [...] but I can't seem to actually do it.  Maybe I should become a teacher or something...

Because the math of armor angling is a trap.

Lets take the TigerII. It has 150mm armor sloped at 50 degrees.

150 / cosd(50) = 233mm

However, assuming the enemy is firing AP/APCR, there is shell normalization of 2 degrees.

150 / cosd(48) = 224mm

Also, the enemy is likely to be shooting down at the TigerII's hull.

150 / cosd(45) = 212mm

For a substantial portion of the time, TigerII actually has significantly less armor than you'd think.

It's alright though, because people can be masters of angling armor, right?

It's reasonable to assume you angle the tank 20 degrees, as 70 degrees is the angle at which shells ricochet.

150 / cosd(45) / cosd(20) = 225mm

Going from 212mm to 225mm is an increase of 13mm. Amazing!

What if we were to angle another 5 degrees to a total of 25 degrees?

150 / cosd(45) / cosd(25) = 234mm

Of course, going beyond 20 degrees means your side armor is now vulnerable.

Angling in a nutshell.

TY for this, most of it I already knew but I found some new stuff that looks interesting.

I give you the credit for my recent stats and actually showing me how to give enough fucks about the game to play well.

_Dia,

You do sound elitest though.   I'm about as good as I am ever going to get.  I'm not handicapped, or crippled - I just don't have the ability or understanding to do what purples do.  I'm pretty sure I don't understand all the basics of the game, nor do I know how to learn what I don't know that I don't know.  I average 1400 damage in an IS6.  And that is with some incredible games thrown into the average.  If you throw out the outliers, I'm more of a 3 shots of damage and I consider it a good game.  That said, I'm still in the top 10(ish) percent.  Which isn't bad unless you're in the top 1% and comparing.

I can explain pretty much everything that you covered.  I can explain angling, weak spots, snap shotting, deployments based on enemy comp, but I can't seem to actually do it.  Maybe I should become a teacher or something...

Definitely appreciate the input and I think you've found a very good way to explain difficult concepts in an easy to understand manner.  Thanks again for the effort.

Lastly, I wish you Blues and Purples would stop suffering so much from Dunning Kruger.  You think that what you do is so easy when what you do puts you into the top 1% of the population.  It isn't easy and there are capable people who are unable to do what you do who are not handicapped or mentally deficient.

Here's the thing... angling, weak spots, snap shotting, camo/vision, crew skills... all those things that you learned that got you to where you are?  Those are simply cost of entry to get to the next step.  Knowledge, indeed near mastery, of those are *assumed* as you advance.

If you want that next step, then it becomes knowing where to put your tank (sometimes minutes in advance) in a position to leverage the above to gain an advantage over your enemies.  How and where you do that is based on a LOT of contingencies which Dia tried to explain-- your tank, enemy composition, map, which side of the map, etc.  Because there is so much variance, it's not about rote memorization.

This is where obsession over the minimap, studying team compositions, being able to infer deployments and weak/strong flanks, and really understanding sight/firing lines comes in.  A tanker that knows how to angle and knows all the weak spots of every tank will still get raped if he's in the 'overextended' position that Dia diagrammed, above.

So much of this revolves more around experience than instruction.  You have to be very familiar with the tank(s) you're driving AND the tanks you might face against (weak spots, traverse speeds, reload times, pen/damage amounts, movement speeds), all the ins and outs of the maps-- scouting positions, brawling positions, defendable positions, paths of ingress and egress depending on how things are going, sight lines, firing lines, typical pubbie camp spots, etc. (from both spawns, and in every mode you play)... this requires a lot of playing and paying attention to what you are doing.

In any given scenario, you need to be able to instantly understand what your strengths are given your tank and the terrain and how to leverage them against your opponent (or, realize you need to decline that engagement and find a better place for you to fight).

So no, it's not easy.  But it's skill that takes insightful play and a desire to mentally process what is going on as opposed to the '800 APM or gtfo' hard physical barrier that something like Starcraft has.

also on the angling, there is a mod out there that will show you your frontal armor and side armor compared to where your gun is pointing so you know if your power stance is wrong

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Team comps and what to expect and counter against them.

I have been struggling with this for a while now. I do well with analyzing team composition, but I rarely know how to act upon that information. Great writeup, +1

Thanks for the add on Deathpig! That's one thing that no guide can cover, and it's how to bring all of these tips together. I just hoped to include some stuff that I've gathered up over the years, but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring it all together. It's why streams are so good, but apart from maybe Zeven, none of them really explain to you in-depth what they're doing. 

Thanks _Dia and Deathpig_Jones for the guidelines, I'll see how successfully I can apply those ingame and get some more fancy colors.

On the stream note, I found Zeven to be the best when it comes to composition analysis, deployment and global match awareness due to his comments (at least for my, poor, level).

Sorry beforehand if I sound elitist by saying this. Apart from if one has disabilities, there's no reason why people can't get purple. On my worst days, or even when I'm grinding some shitty low tier, I never fall below 2800. So I've kind of gotten ignorant of people who say "I've maxed out at green, help!". No you haven't. You're seriously doing something wrong/not catching on to something. If you're watching someone like sela stream but can't go past green, seriously re-consider how you try to improve. You're not doing yourself a benefit if you just imitate what they do only to die and not even understand why. Granted, it took me nearly 14,000 games. 

I've reached my own personal skill cap for the time I allow myself to play.  If I had 3-4 hours a day I could dedicate to gaming, I think I could probably push above where I am right now.  But as it is, I choose whether I want to spend the 1-2 hours a night I have to play the game, or to watch streams and replays of other people playing the game.  There's only so much that can be learned by reading guides and tips and tricks.

Edit: and I've recently hit a skill dip.  I just dropped below 1600 WN8 recent.  RIP my short lived teal recent WN8

Hopefully this post reminded me why I was regressing instead of getting better.  Tonight was first good night in probably a month.

Which subsequently is probably about the last time I platooned with Dia and he told me to stop overextending :)

Enjoyed reading this. Overextending is probably what I'm most guilty of, along with expecting randoms to cover my back and taking my eyes off teammates for more than 5 seconds.