onceuponaban

[bad replay] Is there anything I could have done better?

So, I jumped in my KV-4 during my quest to not suck, and this happens : http://www.wotreplays.eu/site/1126409#.VAIeuWNiLvA

I've noted several mistakes already :

-Failing to hit the T71 at the start of the battle.

-Giving the panther/M10 a flat angle while trying to angle against the centurion and the T29

-Completely ignoring the STA-1 wich was the unicum of the ennemy team (I simply didn't notice him) and a stock ARL 44, to the point of letting him getting behind me (I was dismissing him as not a threat during the battle)

-Getting in a position where the ennemy could shoot in my cupola while I couldn't shoot back.

-At no point during the battle did I consider relocating in a place where I could perhaps be more useful.

Screens from the after battle result (in french) :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/35/1409425331-shot-059.jpg
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/35/1409425333-shot-056.jpg
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/35/1409425333-shot-058.jpg

So, is there anything I could have done better apart from that?

Je pense que vous avez assez bien avec les seuls cinq mille matchs joués ...

Évidemment, je ne suis pas assez pour dire ce que vous avez eu tort sans ressembler à un Hippocrite ... mais s'il y avait une chose qui était flagrant , vous étiez trop passive bonne.

turtle.gifHow the enemy team would respond to your presence in a tier 8 game

Je pense que vous avez assez bien avec les seuls cinq mille matchs joués ...

Évidemment, je ne suis pas assez pour dire ce que vous avez eu tort sans ressembler à un Hippocrite ... mais s'il y avait une chose qui était flagrant , vous étiez trop passive bonne.

[snip] How the enemy team would respond to your presence in a tier 8 game

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I probably should have tried to shoot the guys in the village next to me.

Ok here it goes...

1. Your first mistake was to trust XVM's % chance to win. I purposefully turned this feature off on my XVM in order to not under/over estimate the enemy team. I would suggest turning this feature off or not taking it seriously as it usually affects your gameplay negatively (at least it does for me).

2. ANGLE YOUR TANK! The KV-4 is amazing at side scraping and you were just sitting out in the open giving them (T29 and Cent) free shots on your lower plate which is easily penetrated.

Video explaining how to side scrape:

3. In slow tanks like the KV-4 it's hard to relocate to a different flank. Because of this fact you usually need to decide where you are going to go before the battle starts. You can do this by looking at the map, each teams composition, and generally where you feel you will be most needed. Often it is good to take a central location in slow tanks and then relocate to whatever flank needs you most (this does not apply to all maps). In the KV-4 I do no think i would have gone to the beach because once you are down there you will essentially be down there the rest of the match. I would have either gone to the complete other flank or have gone mid (once i saw an opening) and then flexed to the flank that needed my help most.

I could go into detail on every little thing you "did wrong" but i don't think that will be very beneficial for you. All you should take away from this is to remember to use your armor to its fullest potential (angle it). If you learn how to side scrape in the KV-4 I fell it will improve your gameplay significantly as you should survive much longer, in turn, giving you more opportunity to do damage!

Hope this helps! :D

1. Your first mistake was to trust XVM's % chance to win. I purposefully turned this feature off on my XVM in order to not under/over estimate the enemy team. I would suggest turning this feature off or not taking it seriously as it usually affects your gameplay negatively (at least it does for me).

Yeah, I usually don't pay that much attention to the win chance, but I was amused (or rather depressed, wich was probably your point) to see that the chance to win was THAT low. I thought that was only possible in unbalanced training battles.

2. ANGLE YOUR TANK! The KV-4 is amazing at side scraping and you were just sitting out in the open giving them (T29 and Cent) free shots on your lower plate which is easily penetrated.

Looking back on this replay I don't understand why I didn't try to sidescrape, I actually already know how to do it. Perhaps my brain went in mode "Oh crap I'm in 3vs1" and shutdown.

In the KV-4 I do no think i would have gone to the beach because once you are down there you will essentially be down there the rest of the match

My whole tactical awareness in this map is a lie. I thought well armored slow heavy tanks had to go to the beach to block access from any of the ennemy tanks.

Hope this helps! :D