Worstpoaster_na

Anime Thread

Well, I can get into the bits and pieces of the elements, the twists and all, the anecdotes which I find quiet interesting, just that when it comes to the climax in one of the story arc, I can't really get that feeling of immersion for season 1. I guess the show kinda works the way I predicted hence I can't really got swept into the mood.

Season 2 pulled the twist in the story quiet nicely, and I didn't expect that one scene where Holo loses her composure, and I think cause I ever been in a situation somewhat similar to what Lawrence went through, I get to enjoy it more.

Still, I can't shake the feeling that the story, like it or not, no matter how the ending could be (I haven't finished season 2) will leave a lingering sadness for me, since Holo is a spiritual entity which able to live long while Lawrence is just a human.

Heh, it's kind of hard for me to relate to what you're talking about because I watched the anime many moons ago and since then read all the light novels, so it's hard for me to separate the two, remember how they're different, and what actually happens in the anime.  It's all jumbled up in my head so I really am unsure of what you're actually watching.

I have never seen a dub that can get close to the emotions that are present in the original.

Would disagree 10/10.

For me, being able to hear the dialogue as opposed to reading it adds something to the show, provided, of course, that the dub is good (and please don't give me "oh but I'm better than you" elitism because you're "watching the anime as they were meant to be watched" - because that's not fucking true, they were meant to have their audiences listen to, not read the dialogue).

I decide dub/sub on a per-case basis - most of the time dubs aren't very good, but here's a list of dubs that I liked and think are excellent (this is only shows I've seen).

Bebop

Darker than Black

Spice & Wolf

Ergo Proxy

Kuroshitsuji

forgot Deathnote

Some shows can just never work dubbed though, like

Steins;Gate

Baccano!

Sorry JMT, I love you so much but I don't think anyone in the Western hemisphere could do a good job dubbing your characters in those.

Edited by KnobbyHobbGoblin

i'd actually appreciate a dubbed version of monogatari, cuz i'm spending way too much time reading and not enjoying the art T.T

tho i still love the series

Heh, it's kind of hard for me to relate to what you're talking about because I watched the anime many moons ago and since then read all the light novels, so it's hard for me to separate the two, remember how they're different, and what actually happens in the anime.  It's all jumbled up in my head so I really am unsure of what you're actually watching.

Would disagree 10/10.

For me, being able to hear the dialogue as opposed to reading it adds something to the show, provided, of course, that the dub is good (and please don't give me "oh but I'm better than you" elitism because you're "watching the anime as they were meant to be watched" - because that's not fucking true, they were meant to have their audiences listen to, not read the dialogue).

I decide dub/sub on a per-case basis - most of the time dubs aren't very good, but here's a list of dubs that I liked and think are excellent (this is only shows I've seen).

Bebop

I'll give you Bebop actually. For a dub it's pretty good.

I'm not going to give you some elitist crap about meant to or anything like that. I will say that my position is probably quite biased, however, based on the fact that I know a good bit of Japanese and can just listen and get most of what is going on. I need subs for outlandish words that I don't know, but since I understand a lot of words and the grammar involved, I find better enjoyment from the subbed versions. Monogatari enters a whole new level when you can understand some of the plays. 

3 episodes into GuP, and im hooked

Edit: watching subbed, the english dub was shit and lacked emotion or energy

I'm very proud of you:

And here are the benefits of your decision:

If you consider watching lots of anime - subbed is the only way to go.

You don't have to wait for dubs, also there are no bad dubs to ruin your day (bad dubs are 100 times worse than bad subs).

Learn aaaaall the anime slang.

As time comes you'll get the insider jokes, except for Gintama its very rare to see an explanation.

Getting used to Japanese, by now it feels weird for me to hear dubbed anime.

I don't really know if one should start with a really short anime or a really immersive one.

I'm kind of torn to recommend either Fooly Cooly and Black Lagoon/Great teacher Onizuka.

Stuff to not start with: Monster - not representative and you won't find another show like it in case you want more

Gintama (you'll enoy it more later)

genericmainstreamseveralhundredepisodes anime that's not Gintama (cuz there is Gintama, why watch anything else for hundreds of episodes?)

Mecha.

Mad feelz anime - I'm looking at you Clannad

Action/gore overdrive - Akira, Hellsing OVA, Fist of the north star. 

and finally Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood. DON'T CHUG DOWN THE HOLY GRAIL AS AN APPETIZER.

Watch the non Brotherhood one first.

Tell us if you find a genre you like .

@Knobby glad you liked Bahamut ^^

I will say that my position is probably quite biased, however, based on the fact that I know a good bit of Japanese and can just listen and get most of what is going on. I need subs for outlandish words that I don't know, but since I understand a lot of words and the grammar involved, I find better enjoyment from the subbed versions. Monogatari enters a whole new level when you can understand some of the plays. 

Fair enough.  Do you mean word plays (play on words)?

Stuff to not start with: Monster - not representative and you won't find another show like it in case you want more. And it's like 70 eps long.  IF you ask me it's good to start with shorter series just so you can get lots of exposure to different things and then find out what you want to watch.

Mecha. lol mecha

Mad feelz anime - I'm looking at you Clannad Why not?

Action/gore overdrive - Akira, Hellsing OVA, Fist of the north star. Blood C?

Watch the non Brotherhood one first. I've been beating around the bush for watching FMAB.  What's the scoop - do I really need to watch the original first?  I don't want to have to go through the same stuff twice.

Tell us if you find a genre you like .  But don't if it's ecchi or harem (jk we can rec you some of the better ones.  And if you ever find yourself looking for a romance anime free from ecchi/harem, you can hit me up - I know a few hidden gems.)

@Knobby glad you liked Bahamut ^^ <# Me too - they really didn't need that first scene in the first episode though.  It covered nothing that was repeated later in exposition and was boring enough to make me immediately stop watching.  Maybe it was supposed to be there as alluring eye candy to catch the attention of viewers, but I didn't see what was so special about it.  Like it a lot though.

Also, inb4 Kraft makes some comment about how great this week's Yona was

Stuff to not start with: Monster - not representative and you won't find another show like it in case you want more. And it's like 70 eps long.  IF you ask me it's good to start with shorter series just so you can get lots of exposure to different things and then find out what you want to watch.

As said IDK - an immersive 20+ episode anime might just work better to get the anime hypetrain started.

Mecha. lol mecha

Yep lol Mecha. There is also quite a gap in quality, at the depth you have stuff like Infinite Stratos *blergh* and then Gulty Crown and other stuff trying to imitate the almighty kings of its genre TTGL/CG and very much mixture of both in between. Even CG as gloriously good as it gets takes ages getting started, I nearly dropped it in episode 5 (and then watched the whole thing in 3 days).

Mad feelz anime - I'm looking at you Clannad Why not?

Because of After Story - Fuck After Story. I'm a dude and thus not supposed to have this many feelz. 

Action/gore overdrive - Akira, Hellsing OVA, Fist of the north star. Blood C?

Is that the thing with Saya vs Mice? I tried to start it two times and always got distracted, wouldn't recommend that either.... I'm at ep 6,7 or 8 and have no real clue whats going on yet. 

Watch the non Brotherhood one first. I've been beating around the bush for watching FMAB.  What's the scoop - do I really need to watch the original first?  I don't want to have to go through the same stuff twice.

Its basically the same show for the first quarter but goes entirely different roads from there. You can basically watch FMA to the end, search for the point where they start to differ and treat FMA Brotherhood as a parallel universe. I only recommend watching FMA first since its "only" top 20 material while FMA is top 3. Its one of the best shows I've seem but Brotherhood takes it to a whole other level. Think about it as rewatching a 9/10 show and it suddenly gets 10/10.

Tell us if you find a genre you like .  But don't if it's ecchi or harem (jk we can rec you some of the better ones.  And if you ever find yourself looking for a romance anime free from ecchi/harem, you can hit me up - I know a few hidden gems.)

Ichiba.... whoops no, don't watch that piece of shit show. We can leave that matter to Kraft and Lockhart. Or just tell him to watch Setokai no Ichizon and Ouran Host club

.... or Boku no Pico if we want to give him a good scare for life huehuehue.

@Knobby glad you liked Bahamut ^^ <# Me too - they really didn't need that first scene in the first episode though.  It covered nothing that was repeated later in exposition and was boring enough to make me immediately stop watching.  Maybe it was supposed to be there as alluring eye candy to catch the attention of viewers, but I didn't see what was so special about it.  Like it a lot though.

Really like the artystyle + characters (Baccus and the duck... whoever came up with that deserves some cookies). Shion voice on necro chick is annoying the living hell out of me

Also, inb4 Kraft makes some comment about how great this week's Yona was

Dropped Yona 2 weeks a go, too lazy to fast forward through another flashback. Started Eureka 7 instead and haven't watched past ep 3 - should I continue?

Also WTF happened in Inou Battle, thought I had the wrong show for 10 minutes....

Sooo... why are we teasing Kraft again? I forgot.

@ Kraft just checked your list. I probably watched 2/3 of that stuff too.

Did you manage to watch Mononoke Hime this year? It hurts to see it on "plan to watch". Its also a surprise that there is no Tetsuwan Birdy (or GTO/Bebop while I'm at it) anywhere on that list.

I may or may not have decided to start watching GuP.

._.

Watch it, it's amazing

Beware losing valuable tank time though

Well someone here called it Unlimited Moneyworks and it kind of stuck.

Its god damn pretty... if that stupid redhead would just die already so the story could progress >.>

(P.S. don't ask Solono for any kind of FSN opinion, he will probably make you regret asking)

Well someone here called it Unlimited Moneyworks and it kind of stuck.

Its god damn pretty... if that stupid redhead would just die already so the story could progress >.>

(P.S. don't ask Solono for any kind of FSN opinion, he will probably make you regret asking)

If solono stops by I'll ask about meeting up to restore some mana :^)

If solono stops by I'll ask about meeting up to restore some mana :^)

Was nice knowing you.

Dropped Yona 2 weeks a go, too lazy to fast forward through another flashback. Started Eureka 7 instead and haven't watched past ep 3 - should I continue?

Also WTF happened in Inou Battle, thought I had the wrong show for 10 minutes....

Sooo... why are we teasing Kraft again? I forgot.

@ Kraft just checked your list. I probably watched 2/3 of that stuff too.

Did you manage to watch Mononoke Hime this year? It hurts to see it on "plan to watch".

I had really liked the idea behind Inou battle  (ordinary kids suddenly have supra powers and expect to be thrusted into the centre of some great... super power battle thing, but their lives continue as normal)...

but certain recent... 

plot developments kind of threw that out the window, which makes me sad.

Not really "we" - just me so far as I can tell.  I just remember at the beginning of the season Kraft was bound to make some comment about Yona every week without fail, so I decided to start calling him out on his fangirling.  I like Yona a lot too - I just like teasing him for it I guess.  Now that I've had my fun I'll probably stop.

WHATTHEBALLSKRAFTHASNTSEENMONONOKE?!!?!?!!?

pics only no spoilers

excuse-me-gif.gif

Shame on you Kraft.  And you dare call yourself an asian-cartoon nerd

Shame-on-you-GIFS.gif

u wot 

If you're curious, Kind of just me babbling, but you might get a bit of my perspective on it.

Is the new FSN any good? Unlimited Bait Works or whatever?

Unlimited Budget Works It's pretty.  That's about it.  Unlike other shows that only have the eye candy going for it, F:S/N-UBW can stand solely on the merit of its animation.  So yes, it's good, brainless, boring plotwise and boring characterwise (lol wut is even progression?  Dying?) but completely worth it just for the fight scenes.

If you need to be convinced

And RIP you, btw.

He honest-to-god ruins the whole thing.  I've said it before, but if you ask me, the show would be a whole lot more interesting if it killed him off and just followed Tohsaka (or better yet - just have been about Tohsaka from the very beginning and never even have a character named Emiya in the script.)

So many posts the moment I looked away. This is like finding your sandwich has become sentient and is trying to rouse the vegetables into rebellion after leaving it in the fridge for a day.

So I hear Evangelion is getting Blu-Ray releases. The person who told me this thought it was a big deal. Someone explain.

Evangelion is whatever you make it out to be. It is very amorphous in form, and to some that by itself is a poor recommendation. I like Evangelion, but this is not a big deal. The original doesn't really benefit from the HD treatment. It's still going to look like hand drawn cel animation made on a budget and schedule from 95.

Is the new FSN any good? Unlimited Bait Works or whatever?

Unlimited Bait Works is right, but only in certain communities, this being one of them. It's eye candy. That's about it. That said, it is really good eye candy.

I never understood why it's so sad. I hardly even remember anything from either seasons.

It's okay if you don't remember Clannad. Honestly, the only reason I like it as much as I do is because it was one of the earliest ones I've watched. Same goes for a fair number of people here I suspect.

Because it's from 2007-2009 and most of the people here are of a certain demographic. There are people here who have never heard of Haruhi.

Because it's from 2007-2009 and most of the people here are of a certain demographic. There are people here who have never heard of Haruhi.

I started watching anime from this show:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/147/Kimi_ga_Nozomu_Eien

but I watched it like 1 year after it came out, so I think it was like xmas break at the end of 2004.

That show's super good too

Oh.  I only started watching anime this year.

I bet that there are, but those people are probably just casuals.

Someone mention feels anime? No one mention Angel Beats yet?

e9Zi81K.jpg

fwjJRKf.jpg

Yeah, the disappearances makes me feel sad though, felt so abrupt since they just went out in a blink, no smoke, no progressive disappearance, just, gone. Episode 10 (I think) hit me with the feels in all the right places

C: