Worstpoaster_na

Anime Thread

So I've recently watched a short series (sword art online), and I'm thinking I would like to watch some more.  The only other thing I've watched is full metal alchemist brotherhood, so I'm looking for some suggestions.  Basically my only criteria is that it actually has an end unlike one piece or something.   

that what we call seasonal anime. it usually consist 12-13 episode (1 cour) or 24-26 episode (2 cour). any thing more than we call it long runner (i.e. one piece)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime/seasons

probably good starting point for you

So I've recently watched a short series (sword art online), and I'm thinking I would like to watch some more.  The only other thing I've watched is full metal alchemist brotherhood, so I'm looking for some suggestions.  Basically my only criteria is that it actually has an end unlike one piece or something.   

Monogatari series (aka loligatari)

Anohana

Toradora

Are the 3 ones I recommend for dem casuals, as they are bit more complex than shonen anime, but aren't totally obscure.

and also infinite stratos for obvious reasons

GERMANY #1

Monogatari series (aka loligatari)

Anohana

Toradora

Are the 3 ones I recommend for dem casuals, as they are bit more complex than shonen anime, but aren't totally obscure.

and also infinite stratos for obvious reasons

GERMANY #1

I don't think monogatari series are for casuals.

80% dialogue is not for everyone. (but the loli fanservice is delicious)

How about:

Tokyo Ravens (lolifoxspirit)

I'm done I am just going to start handing out ROs, no questionable loli shit. Period. - Solono
TokyoRavensKawaiifoxfamiliar4.jpg
Seiyuu is the one for Yui in K-on!  But sounds less "special"

Also: Busou  Renkin(one of the few acceptable shounen anime)
Gosick(loli detective!)
Kamisama no Memo Chou(loli detective!)

Death Note seems right up your alley.

If you want to explore different genres, go with worstpoaster_na's recommendations too. Toradora is quite the masterpiece tbh (minorin best character... ever!), and Anohana's pretty good.

For the love of god, don't watch IS ~.~. You'll end up going to Sky Girls, then Strike Witches, Ro Kyu Bu, and god knows what else. Next thing you know, you're watching hentai.

Emperorguy, if you'd like something in the same theme as Sword Art, try Log Horizon (another trapped in an MMO anime that is currently running).

Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh are pretty classic and funny and not questionable. Only get into Infinite Stratos if you want a trashy harem show.

Oh, almost forgot - Full Metal Panic. Can't really go wrong with that classic either.

If you want some gore Fist of the North Star might work, though a lot of it's pretty old. But it's hard not to love Road Warrior meets Bruce Lee with people being turned into sandwich meat by lethal fingers or being punched in just the right way that makes their head explode :)

Also, if anyone is looking for a very clever show that will give you Monogatari vibes from the way Shaft handled it, watch Natsu no Arashi. Lots of references to other good shows, jokes, some wordplay, comedy etc. The interactions of the cast are just great in it.

If you want some gore Fist of the North Star might work, though a lot of it's pretty old. But it's hard not to love Road Warrior meets Bruce Lee with people being turned into sandwich meat by lethal fingers or being punched in just the right way that makes their head explode :)

Also, if anyone is looking for a very clever show that will give you Monogatari vibes from the way Shaft handled it, watch Natsu no Arashi. Lots of references to other good shows, jokes, some wordplay, comedy etc. The interactions of the cast are just great in it.

I've never seen FotNS but isn't it a legitimately good show? Or are you really suggesting it just for the gore? 

Oh no, I absolutely love it. It's silly but it's epic and carries some seriously manly feels. There's been so many FotNS parody moments, I'd recommend watching it so you can enjoy them that much more, lol. It's also just long enough (for me) to get really, really into (the original TV show) at like 160 something episodes, but not ridiculous like newer huge series. This is one of the greatest things of all time;

PS. Crunchyroll has the whole original TV show. Gotta look elsewhere for the newer short series and movies though.

There's a lot of reasons to watch a show, and yes, substance is one of them.

FotNS just happens to be one of the rare gems that also has great length on its side, which means not only more of a time investment in viewing it, but for a lot of folks, probably more emotional investment too.

There's a lot of reasons to watch a show, and yes, substance is one of them.

FotNS just happens to be one of the rare gems that also has great length on its side, which means not only more of a time investment in viewing it, but for a lot of folks, probably more emotional investment too.

talking about the length of series as one of its selling points is like saying a guy has a lot of battles therefore he's good at the game. I mean like I'd rather watch a good show with a lot of episodes than a good show with not so many episodes, but that's assuming that the show is good in the first place. 

Watching a show just because it's long is like... what? 

I watched the Romance of the Three Kingdoms one-shot series and it had like 100 episodes, spent a bajillion Chinese dollars and had lots of gore. Best thing since sliced crack because of it!

I still need to finish that. I think I'm around episode 70 or so -- where the Wu invasion of Jingzhou and Guan Yu acting like a douche is at. That whole portion really killed my appetite for wanting to watch it. Also, Guan Yu's arrogance made it hard to watch, mainly because I knew what would happen. :(

talking about the length of series as one of its selling points is like saying a guy has a lot of battles therefore he's good at the game. I mean like I'd rather watch a good show with a lot of episodes than a good show with not so many episodes, but that's assuming that the show is good in the first place. 

Watching a show just because it's long is like... what?

I said I love the show. I said its epic and inspires a lot of feelings.

I never said it was good because it was long, or that it was any of the above because it was a long show. I don't know where you're getting that from. I don't like it simply because it's long, that's like a bonus feature. It means that I can dig in, watch a lot of episodes, and still have more to look forward to. If I had said "It's a long show you'll like it" I could understand where you're coming from... but that's not what I said. So I'm not sure where you're coming from.

By the "perfect length", I meant that it's not so short that it's shoehorned into a single run like a lot of shows, but it's not drawn out to excruciating lengths like others. It does what it needs to. Unlike say, Occult Academy, that could have easily been trimmed to like 4 or 6 episodes instead of the 12 it had, and not be any worse off for it.

Maybe what I'm writing isn't coming off the way I intended it, I dunno. There seems to be a misunderstanding here somewhere, or just a difference of opinion at a very basic level.

So I had thought attack on Titan was 25 episodes as the whole anime and watched it, I'm pretty sure now that's either half or a third of what the total is supposed to be, but still, that ending.....   

So I had thought attack on Titan was 25 episodes as the whole anime and watched it, I'm pretty sure now that's either half or a third of what the total is supposed to be, but still, that ending.....

There will be more. That was only season 1

I also recommend durarara if anyone hasn't seen it.

There will be more. That was only season 1

I also recommend durarara if anyone hasn't seen it.

Whenever I think of Attack on Titan I get this weird image of the author pulling a long length of differently colored scarves out of his ass, facing towards you with this smug smile on his face.  And, I'm like k, thats cool, but he just keeps going.  I could elaborate more, but I'm lazy.  Pretty sure the point comes across. 

Some form of mouse-related wrist pain has kept me off the computer outside work, so since I can't play Tanks I hooked a laptop up to my TV to watch a bunch of movies I've had on back log. One was 5 Centimeters Per Second (yes, yes, welcome to 6 years ago etc).

I don't watch much in the way of animated films or shows, and I almost passed this one over because of that, but goddamn am I glad I didn't. I'd seen some stills from it before, and they looked a lot like mocked up promotional posters, something a team of artists would take hours to assemble, but no, that's the entire goddamn movie. It's hands down one of the most gorgeous videos I've ever watched, and the accompanying soundtrack is excellent as well.

Also...

TKlWoXn.png

So here I am at work with nobody to talk to about it.

Some form of mouse-related wrist pain has kept me off the computer outside work, so since I can't play Tanks I hooked a laptop up to my TV to watch a bunch of movies I've had on back log. One was 5 Centimeters Per Second (yes, yes, welcome to 6 years ago etc).

I don't watch much in the way of animated films or shows, and I almost passed this one over because of that, but goddamn am I glad I didn't. I'd seen some stills from it before, and they looked a lot like mocked up promotional posters, something a team of artists would take hours to assemble, but no, that's the entire goddamn movie. It's hands down one of the most gorgeous videos I've ever watched, and the accompanying soundtrack is excellent as well.

Also...

TKlWoXn.png

So here I am at work with nobody to talk to about it.

Shinkai's latest work (Garden of Words) is pretty good as well. The animation quality is improved, but the story isn't nearly as powerful as 5cm, imo anyways. It's still good though, it's just 5cm is a masterpiece....