Worstpoaster_na

Anime Thread

You should all watch Voices of a Distant Star. Pretty short, but it tugs at the heart strings and I found it pretty good. Also, Record of Lodoss War, or as I like to think of it, D&D the Anime. It's pretty old, and probably not the best anime ever, but it was that and Akira that introduced me to anime as a child. Totally worth it.

so compare NGE with F/Z, which is more traumatizing?

still have not watched NGE.

F/Z isn't traumatizing at all. If anything, it seemed normal, considering Urobutcher's other works. Maybe I didn't like it as much because I'm not too familiar with the Fate franchise (I know, heresy, heresy, blah blah blah.)

You should all watch Voices of a Distant Star. Pretty short, but it tugs at the heart strings and I found it pretty good. Also, Record of Lodoss War, or as I like to think of it, D&D the Anime. It's pretty old, and probably not the best anime ever, but it was that and Akira that introduced me to anime as a child. Totally worth it.

if you like that sort of genre, have you seen 5cm/s? It's a 3-segment movie, totaling just over 1 hour. It's the movie that made Makoto Shinkai famous - so famous that I didn't get into his Garden of Words premiere showing at Anime Expo despite lining up 3 hours early....

The Shinkai films are wonderful, I'm pretty jelly that you went. I loved basically all of them, although I feel that Promised Place was the best out of them all. Was Shinkai himself there?

Have a She and Her Cat for your trouble. 

Read Dream of the Red Chamber, then I will accept your apology.

It's on my list of Chinese classics I need to read: I've finished RoTK (my favorite so far), and about halfway through Water Margin.

so compare NGE with F/Z, which is more traumatizing?

still have not watched NGE.

I don't know what F/Z is but Evangelion is a pretty crazy show. It's about a depressed kid with social anxiety problems who has to pilot a giant robot "thing" that he knows nothing about to defend this city from giant alien monster things that he also knows absolutely nothing about. It's not a shonen mecha show like TTGL is.

The movie End of Evangelion is traumatizing, you might say.

Evangelion is a legitimately good show, unless you can't sympathize with Shinji. For me, I felt a strong connection with Shinji, so his behavior never riled me in the same way it may for other people. I was precisly as old as Shinji when I first watched the show, and I could definitely sympathize with him.

The people who call Shinji a wuss or annoying or a baby are people who go in expecting the protagonist of the show to be a hero. Shinji is not a hero, he's a depressed kid who's terrified of other people and what they think of him.

gendo truly is #1 dad

okay why not, I'll sperg :siren: spoilers

The first thing wrong about that comic is that it is getting basic facts about the show wrong. Out of the four things that the comic depicts Gendo telling Shinji to do, only one of them does he actually do. The only thing that Gendo ever tells Shinji to do is: pilot this robot. The only thing that Gendo ever tells Shinji is: I only need you because you can pilot this robot. Otherwise I would not have called you here. Gendo abandoned Shinji when he was like 5 years old or something after his mother died. Gendo treats Shinji as a tool throughout the entire series.

What I would call out is that yes, Misato having Shinji move in with her is... weird. It's a strange thing to do. Why does she do it? Probably out of some kind of sympathy towards Shinji. Her relationship with her father was very similar to Shinji's relationship with Gendo. Misato's dad was a dick, who stayed distant from his wife and daughter, and only cared about his research, his work. Misato hated him because of that. Then he goes and sacrifices his life to save hers during Second Impact and it really fucks with her. So obviously she sees the same feelings in Shinji that she can remember. She wanted to help Shinji, she wanted to right the wrong that her father had done and act as a true parent for Shinji. But obviously she can't, she's a mid to late twenty year old who binge drinks and is the commander of a paramilitary organization that fights against giant absurd aliens. She's no where close to be a mother figure or even a parental or guardian figure. But the only person who could have said no was Gendo or Shinji. Gendo didn't care, he probably wanted it to happen because it would help in some way towards making Shinji his tool. Shinji didn't care, he just does what people tell him to do, because he thinks that if he does what they tell him to do, then they'll like him, that he will be accepted, that he will feel like he's doing the "right thing".

It's fucked up, yes, of course it is. Evangelion is a fucked up show, because the people in it are not heroes, they are not fantastic messiah figures or caricatures (most of them). Rather they are people with serious problems in their lives, really fucked up problems, and they deal with them in human like ways.

I like his new glasses in 3.33

tumblr_mmw01ihxwv1rg5ba9o5_500.png

BEHOLD! OPTIC BLASt!!

his new eye gear is similar to that of that keel lorenz guy, who was the head of seele. It's representative of gendo taking his crown and becoming the "boss". There is no more Seele, there is only NERV now.

The Shinkai films are wonderful, I'm pretty jelly that you went. I loved basically all of them, although I feel that Promised Place was the best out of them all. Was Shinkai himself there?

Yeah, he had a panel, and idk, just the way he talks about anime you can really tell how he pours his soul into it. Every little detail is so well thought out.

Like for example, he talked about how there's a scene in Garden of Words where the main guy measures the girl's feet (in order to make her shoes). He talked about how the shoes were symbolic of rebuilding her life and helping her get on her own two feet. He also mentioned that this is the only point in the movie where she's taller than him (because he's kneeling to measure). This was supposed to represent him boosting her up out of the darkness that is her life.

And of course, someone asks why he didn't make the 2 get together in 5cm/s, to which he gave such a beautiful answer that it's hard for me to even put in words.

Idk, just listening to him pulled at the heartstrings honestly....

whinestmc_JP

I've been making similar arguments for years.  Eva is trainwreck where each of the boxcars have random concepts haphazardly painted on them (robots, Freud, Christianity, sexual frustration, German Idealism, etc.).  Point this out to Eva fans, and they'll go on a rant about how "you just don't get it" just like Lost fans do, and then go back to debating which of their charts are most up to date.  Meanwhile Gainax happily adopted the Lucasfilm buisiness model and converted their (un?)intentionally opaque experiment into a money printer.

Eva has a rightful place in anime history as a grand experiment, but the same can be said for James Cameron's Avatar in film history.

I've been making similar arguments for years.  Eva is trainwreck where each of the boxcars have random concepts haphazardly painted on them (robots, Freud, Christianity, sexual frustration, German Idealism, etc.).  Point this out to Eva fans, and they'll go on a rant about how "you just don't get it" just like Lost fans do, and then go back to debating which of their charts are most up to date.  Meanwhile Gainax happily adopted the Lucasfilm buisiness model and converted their (un?)intentionally opaque experiment into a money printer.

Eva has a rightful place in anime history as a grand experiment, but the same can be said for James Cameron's Avatar in film history.

I think Kino's Journey is a better philosophical anime than either GITS or Eva.  It's a shame hardly anyone has seen it.

what arguments? Please use examples from the text to support your arguments, and we can have a discussion. Instead of just claiming I look at "charts" (whatever the hell that even means), you can try and see the show from another point of view.

Yes the creator of the show stuck in judeo-christian symbolism in "because it was cool", but that doesn't make the show a "trainwreck".

Like even though that comic was factually incorrect in its arguments, and was being intellectually dishonest (or just plain wasn't paying attention to the show), it at least used examples from the text to support its argument.

The people who market a franchise are entirely and utterly separate from the people who produce the franchise.

I think Kino's Journey is a better philosophical anime than either GITS or Eva.  It's a shame hardly anyone has seen it.

I'll look into it. Though I wouldn't call evangelion "philosophical", it's more about the characters and their interpersonal relationships and their neuroses. The crazy judeo-christian stuff they toss in (crosses everywhere!) is, like I mentioned, mostly just because it's cool looking.

If you're into "heavy" anime, I might suggest Now and Then, Here and There. That's some good stuff.

I think Kino's Journey is a better philosophical anime than either GITS or Eva. It's a shame hardly anyone has seen it.

Already planned to watch it soon!

I remember watching kino journey. it certainly good series. detailing good and bad thing about society. communism, capitalism, etc. certainly recomendable. make me want to explore the world myself :3

Pretty high-entry level shows being thrown about here, which means that unless you have a specific mindset going in you're not going to like them at first watch.  See just how HARD it is to convince people to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes (epic space opera), or ARIA (iyashikei).

Anyway, here's two under-appreciated shows in the same vein (need a certain mood or mindset): Dennou Coil and Seirei no Moribito/Guardian of the Sacred Spirits.

Anyone play Dracu-Riot! ? :D it'll be getting a full english patch by 9th Sept

vNSchCc.jpg

Quick question, how do you guys balance your time between anime and tanks? I find myself watching more and more anime and playing less and less of tanks...  =-

Quick question, how do you guys balance your time between anime and tanks? I find myself watching more and more anime and playing less and less of tanks...  =-

do quick session say 5-10 game

watch 1 episode of anime

repeat :P

I marathon animu.

Entire season in 1 go or don't bother.

That's my exact problem. Between that and my part-time job, I'm left with little time to tank. #AnimeAddictionWrecksE-lives

I don't watch all that much anime, just the stuff I'm following during the current season. I enjoy the wait between episodes for the most part, but when I'm marathoning an already released season, I tend to watch it in one go. As a result, I don't marathon much due to time constraints.

Talking about current season:

dat tanuki dad
dat simulated frogbro crying

dat send off into the afterlife

WOzggHt.jpg

my tears are everywhere